• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved NEW screens

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
-viper- said:
looks kinda crappy. then again, they're using UE3. the most ugly engine in the world.

As long as developers create cookie-cutter stuff on UE3 - or any engine, for that matter - it'll be widely regarded lower than deserved. I mean, come on, American McGee's Grimm and Roboblitz use UE3. Not necessarily visual powerhouses, but at least they're trying something.

As for the pictures, I guess I like it. Gotta see it in motion, though. And I do feel the "Journey to the West" vibe.

Darklord said:
How exactly is that Nariko? Do you mean it looks like her or IS her?

It's not her. This character is your partner/master (hence the title) in the game, she helps you solve puzzles and you protect her.

szaromir

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Enslaved actually looks better than Heavenly Sword. Crazy, I know, but this is GAF.
For comparison's sake:
heavenly-sword-review-1.jpg

heavenly-sword-review-3.jpg

heavenly-sword-review-2.jpg

Some parts look better in HS, some look better in Enslaved. So as usual, we need to see this in motion.

szaromir said:
For comparison's sake:
[IM]http://files.playstatic.com/ps3/heavenly-sword/heavenly-sword-review-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IM]http://files.playstatic.com/ps3/heavenly-sword/heavenly-sword-review-3.jpg[/IMG]
[IM]http://files.playstatic.com/ps3/heavenly-sword/heavenly-sword-review-2.jpg[/IMG]
Some parts look better in HS, some look better in Enslaved. So as usual, we need to see this in motion.

From those screens you can immediately tell that Enslaved has better texture fidelity, AA, and significantly higher poly counts on character models.

What parts look better than HS other than pushing more characters on screen (from what we've seen anyway)?

szaromir

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
From those screens you can immediately tell that Enslaved has better texture fidelity, AA, and significantly higher poly counts on character models.

What parts look better than HS other than pushing more characters on screen (from what we've seen anyway)?
This is pretty much what I meant. But Enslaved shots are supersampled (or whatever) and the game won't have that much AA.

Samara

First time hearing about this game. Intriguing. She does look like Nariko like others have mentioned, doubt its her tho.

Other than the cherry blossom hallway, and leading up to the bird cage: Heavenly Sword didn't look that good. Nariko's skin did look amazing tho.

Hopefully gameplay will be the focus this time.

bengraven

First day motherfuckers, first day.

But if the Sony fans are lying about HS being good, I'm coming back with a noose.

Don't forget that HS had a tons of technical issues. Hope Ensvaled won't have any tearing/framerate issues though. It looks very nice and I like the art direction, bring it on NT.

LordPhoque said:
Don't forget that HS had a tons of technical issues. Hope Ensvaled won't have any tearing/framerate issues though. It looks very nice and I like the art direction, bring it on NT.

I haven't played it for awhile but it may have had a few framerate slowdowns here and there. A ton? No.

Game looks good,but the use of bloom is once again exaggerated,wow.
The beauty of this Nariko Mc.Fly game is that it won't be running under 30 frames most of the time,I hated that shit about Heavenly Sword. Hopefully screen tearing isn't too bad but I won't hold my breath. Please come to the PC sweeheart and those problems won't exist.:)
And no dual analog fighting mechanics this time around,it felt really weird not using buttons for main attacks.

Samara

The-Warning said:
I haven't played it for awhile but it may have had a few framerate slowdowns here and there. A ton? No.

There was a lot of sound issue in the cutscene, and people dissapearing from them. Enemies just standing doing the treadmill if you move.

But you're right, but there was more than just framerates issues

Edit: And what's with people yelling "yuck UE3". Sheeps

Heh, how can it not be a downgrade from Heavenly Sword? UE3 is an old an engine as that. Plus, it's a multiplatform effort. And the two games that really impressed me using the UE were Bioshock and ME, and that was certainly due to the art style of both. They chopped off Nariko's hair because UES simply cannot render decent hair. And that's not some sort of internet hyperbole, or whatever GAF calls it.

I'm also jaded because I thought HS was a pretty bad game. Looked really nice, though.

sweetwasabi said:
There was a lot of sound issue in the cutscene, and people dissapearing from them. Enemies just standing doing the treadmill if you move.

But you're right, but there was more than just framerates issues

Edit: And what's with people yelling "yuck UE3". Sheeps

Because despite the fact that the game does not necessarily look bad, UR often leaves its stain on the games it is used in. With a few exceptions, you can almost always tell whether a game is made with it or not.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
So the monkey guy is Son-Goku? Thats the first thing I thought when I saw him with that staff.

element

Violater said:
It was platform specific, that was the only thing "wrong" with it.
not true at all. from everything I heard at GDC, the art pipeline was in need of a dramatic improvement. art is the most expensive content to produce. poor art pipeline increases cost.

UE3 - I guess its the only engine around to support both PS3/Xbox360. Where is ID, crytech, maybe capcom's own engine. Fuck UE3 :p
ID and Crytek have yet to ship on 360 and PS3. Framework (capcom) is not localized in english, and probably has zero support, as it isn't their business model.

Why not sticking with the Heavenly Sword Engine and improving it?
they had a number of items to do. Go multiplatform and improve the art tools pipeline. Going multiplatform is a challenge, improving art tools can be very painful. Especially if you are developing those tools as you build the game.

They chopped off Nariko's hair because UES simply cannot render decent hair.
That has nothing to do with rendering hair. That is more on bone and animation budget. The hair and associated animations in HS weren't procedural or anything. They were all animated then baked into the animation. If they wanted to do the same thing in this game, they could.

Nostromo

szaromir said:
Didn't all the senior programmers leave Ninja Theory after HS? Plus they're not exclusive anymore, plus they're doing a multiplatform game on a licensed engine. No wonder it doesn't look as good as HS IMO, even though it'll be released 4 tears after HS.
No, not all the senior programmers left NT after HS. Actually they are all basically still there, barring a couple of exceptions (me included :) ). NT is a company full of *very* talented individuals, a couple of defections won't make any significant difference (and they hired new talent anyway..). In this day and age games are a large collaborative efforts, not even having a John Carmack in your team would make a dramatic difference. Unless your team really sucks :)

Go Ninjas go!

Nostromo

element said:
. The hair and associated animations in HS weren't procedural or anything. They were all animated then baked into the animation. If they wanted to do the same thing in this game, they could.
Actually all hair and cloth animations in HS were procedural :lol

Acid08

Banned
-viper- said:
looks kinda crappy. then again, they're using UE3. the most ugly engine in the world.
UE3 looks like a slightly downgraded version of the Uncharted engine. I mean seriously, there are similarities between the two. Texture pop-in, very shiny everything, etc.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Strider2K99 said:
Gotta love the UE3 hate in this thread. It's become cool to hate it again. :lol
The funny thing is that in the industry, most hate for it comes from tech people that worked with it. Artists I've spoken with generally love the thing.

So if consumers generally think UE3 games are ugly, does that imply that giving Artists better tools, results get worse? :p
Actually we've had a B3D debate few years ago on this - and there's something to be said for NOT giving artists too much freedom in their work...

I don't really care what engine this is on, I would say it looks technically equivalent to HS... (Which is to say it looks fine) But from an artistic standpoint I'm not thrilled.

TheFallen

The main character "Monkey" looks and sounds awful. The female in the screens is known as "Trip". Yea, seriously. Sounds like a 12 yr old named them. Gameplay seems like Prince of Persia in the Bionic Commando world to me according to GI. Still, it's early and I will keep my eyes on Enslaved.

Darkpen

Banned
Honestly? I'm excited just because its Ninja Theory, and I hope they bring back whatsherface who's in Fringe now for the Nariko lookalike.

Other than that, UE3? :( Need to see in motion. If there's anything I'm sure about, its Ninja Theory's reliability to deliver a quality story and excellent presentation. That's what I'm betting on.

mintylurb

Darkpen said:
Honestly? I'm excited just because its Ninja Theory, and I hope they bring back whatsherface who's in Fringe now for the Nariko lookalike.

Other than that, UE3? :( Need to see in motion. If there's anything I'm sure about, its Ninja Theory's reliability to deliver a quality story and excellent presentation. That's what I'm betting on.
Oh, come on now. Just because this game uses UE3 doesn't mean it's going to bad. Mirrors Edge uses UE3 and it looks glorious...desu desu~

Kittonwy

Banned
Nostromo said:
No, not all the senior programmers left NT after HS. Actually they are all basically still there, barring a couple of exceptions (me included :) ). NT is a company full of *very* talented individuals, a couple of defections won't make any significant difference (and they hired new talent anyway..). In this day and age games are a large collaborative efforts, not even having a John Carmack in your team would make a dramatic difference. Unless your team really sucks :)

Go Ninjas go!

Your team had very talented programmers and artists, game design-wise some decisions were made that deliberately limited movement, player-controlled vertical combat and exploration which imo were to the game's detriment, an action game without the ability to jump or manually climb made the environments much less accessible to the player and less interactive.
Indifferent2.gif

mintylurb said:
Oh, come on now. Just because this game uses UE3 doesn't mean it's going to bad. Mirrors Edge uses UE3 and it looks glorious...desu desu~

Yes goddam. Mirrors fucking Edge. Also, Gears 1/2. Bioshock used some kind of tweaked UE3 as well, right ?

element

Nostromo said:
Actually all hair and cloth animations in HS were procedural :lol
what no way :p Kung Fu Chaos revenge. I eat crow.

Nostromo, just release the damn previz video. That will shut people up.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
looks interesting, but not really liking the strong green tint in the rendering postFX. Is green the new brown? :lol I've noticed a couple other games going this direction.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The #1 problem I see here is that stylistically, this game doesn't "speak". Maybe you have to see it in motion or something, but it's very difficult for a game to present itself if you can't understand what you're looking at.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Puncture said:
Wow this, what in the fuck at Nariko. This is terrible. The style in HS was much better.

I completely agree. The engine that they have for Heavenly Sword makes Nariko look WAAAY better.

szaromir said:
I'm sorry, which was the part was better in HS? Seriously...

The game is like 2.5 years old now. Let's not get crazy. Unless they get this new game released running at 15fps, I think it would be a better looking game, going by the screen shots.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Heavenly Sword was a fun game. The production values were top notch and the action aspect was a lot of fun, albeit shallow. It had a ton of potential, too bad it didn't get to have another shot.

Top Bottom