• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

The only reason I'd try this game is to see if it's at all true to the original source material. If not, I'll stick with Saiyuki: Journey West for the PSX as the definitive "Journey to the West" videogame.

Novella

Banned
The demo was decent, but the video after the demo convinced me there's a lot more to the game than what was in the demo. Movement felt kind of weird though, and they aren't as good as Naughty Dog at making wall-climbing fluid and fun.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I really want this game to be good since i was into the story in the demo, so that 8 from edge is really encouraging. Ill wait for some other sites before i buy, since im already hoarding enough games in the next 3 months.

Vamphuntr

Finally got a chance to play the demo. It's quite a pretty game. I liked the environment but Monkey's designs blows. Can't really describes the gameplay since it was so short but it will probably be a rent for me since my money is going on DR2.

Despera

Banned
Since I'm planning on getting every single game that is coming out in the next couple of months I'm definitely gonna get Enslaved, even if I wasn't that impressed by the demo.

burgerdog

Liked it, but Castlevania is getting my money. Like many others, I'll pick it up once the price drops. Actually, after reading this thread, this should have released at $39.99 and most would get it day 1.

Spasm

So what was all the rage over the demo? Something about laggy controls?

Despite being a pretty big HS fan, I DL'd the demo with low expectations. Was pleasantly surprised. Combat was smooth as silk for me. Will buy.

FrankT

burgerdog said:
Liked it, but Castlevania is getting my money. Like many others, I'll pick it up once the price drops. Actually, after reading this thread, this should have released at $39.99 and most would get it day 1.

Going with Castlevania as well. It is shame they are both releasing on the same day. Edge giving them each an 8 they both very well could be great games.

Spasm said:
So what was all the rage over the demo? Something about laggy controls?

Despite being a pretty big HS fan, I DL'd the demo with low expectations. Was pleasantly surprised. Combat was smooth as silk for me. Will buy.

Combat was pretty decent. Though I have to agree with some on the platforming not being as tight as maybe it should be. The story might be very good however that is the one thing I am interested in seeing.

Kolgar

Interested due to the art style and post-apocalyptic world.

Monkey's look and movements turn me off mightily, but the visuals and that hot redhead have their hooks in me.

May not buy day one, but soon.

This game came out of nowhere for me, but I loved the demo.

I really enjoy the main character, unlike most it seems. He's got some really neat touches to hint at the whole Monkey god persona, plus I think the super saiyan hair is hilariously over the top.

Not sure if I can afford to snatch it up at launch, but I'm definitely going to snag this once it's a bit cheaper.

Yay a nice CLEAN thread... yeesh.

The demo showed promise, I'll wait for the reviews to come in and surprise me. I hope it is good - I enjoy the Uncharted 2 formula and I'd like to see it applied to more games.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ach! So many games on October and November, my wallet's gonna get a beating.

Anyways, day 1 for me with this game. Vanquish and Castlevania can wait

Swag

Wow didn't think this was coming out so soon, no wonder GT has so much media on it.

Will try the demo tonight.

Kolgar

Played the demo again tonight and I gotta say, I'm becoming smitten with the graphics in this game.

I know it's UE3, but last week when I didn't know jack about the game, I saw a video for it on the Xbox dashboard. My girlfriend asked to watch the vid and the second I saw the character faces, I said, "Heavenly Sword! I bet this is Ninja Theory's next game."

Sure enough. And I dig the style.

Fighting plus hot chick plus post-apocalyptic environments plus Heavenly-Sword-style graphics looks to make an epic combination, and I may just use a gift card to pick this up next Tuesday.

Anxiously awaiting more reviews.

TripOpt55

I think I'll be getting this next week. I am worried about a really quick price drop though. Might make me regret an early buy. I agree about the automatic platforming in the demo, but I guess I'll see what happens with the full game.

The demo left me wanting more. It's going in my Gamefly queue for sure. Can't wait to see the interaction between Trip and Monkey. One thing's for sure, NT didn't lose their character expression modeling skills. (At least I don't think they did, need to fire up HS to check).

LQX

Haven't been this sold on a game since the Lost Planet Demo. So awesome. He is a little twitchy like he is moving a bit too fast but the combat feels great and best of all not falling off shit with all that jumping. Also I really dig the overgrown NY landscape.

And it reminds me of Heavenly Sword...which is good thing.

DaBuddaDa

Castlevania comes out the same day as this, and there are dozens of reviews for it already. Does anyone know when the review embargo lifts for Enslaved?

Phenomic

AwRy108 said:
Just an FYI, KMart has a killer deal on this title: $25 Gaming Giftcard with purchase.

I think I'm going to pick this game up now almost for the hell of it. I had no real interest in it but I'm getting Castlevania for 50$ at Kmart and it also comes with a 20 dolllar coupon. If I get this game and get another 25 dollar coupon. I can get Vanquish for 15$ and then another 20$+ Coupon as well! It's so justified.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haven't tried the demo (didn't want to get spoiled), how's the framerate for the PS3 version?

DaBuddaDa

Yoshichan said:
Haven't tried the demo (didn't want to get spoiled), how's the framerate for the PS3 version?
The framerate on PS3 is decent, but it's a little smoother on the Xbox 360. If you have both systems, the Xbox 360 version is the way to go.

jett

D-Member
Yoshichan said:

Constantly below 30fps, with a decent helping of screen tearing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Perfect! Just the way I like it.

Hated the demo. The demo amounted to pressing the A button over and over and over again until it ended and yet the controls stunk. The canned rigid animations were about as smooth as a porcupine.

I thought it would end with me at least being interested in the story and two main characters, but it quickly revealed itself as yet another apocalyptic game (new york city? Ugh) and both characters I ended up despising for different reasons when the demo ended.

Really excited for this game. Loved the demo.

I also have about $35 in coupons from kmart to use the week of release plus they are offering an additional $25 coupon on top of it. Hate to keep repeating this but nobody is really talking about the deals on offer there lately.

Better reason then ever to get away from the gamestop cycle.

jett said:
Constantly below 30fps, with a decent helping of screen tearing.
It's so bad that I noticed, and I never notice that sort of thing.

Mr. B Natural said:
Hated the demo. The demo amounted to pressing the A button over and over and over again until it ended and yet the controls stunk. The canned rigid animations were about as smooth as a porcupine.

I thought it would end with me at least being interested in the story and two main characters, but it quickly revealed itself as yet another apocalyptic game (new york city? Ugh) and both characters I ended up despising for different reasons when the demo ended.
Pretty much. The demo ended up completely putting me off of the game.

Oli

AwRy108 said:
Just an FYI, KMart has a killer deal on this title: $25 Gaming Giftcard with purchase.

Where did you find this out? Do you have to pre-order, or just pick it up?

icarus-daedelus said:
It's so bad that I noticed, and I never notice that sort of thing.

Which version? I had no tearing on the 360 demo, but I'm yet to DL the PS3 version.

I quite enjoyed it, though the controls were slightly imprecise and over-compensated.

ezekial45

Banned
Loudninja said:
So do you get new weapons or staff upgrades?

I think it's just new moves for the staff. There might be more though.

Anyway, does anyone know when the embargo ends for the reviews?

Wow an 8 from edge, the game must be better than I thought, will wait for a dead period when I have no games to play and get it on the cheap.

Top Bottom