• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JordoftheDead said:
Which version? I had no tearing on the 360 demo, but I'm yet to DL the PS3 version.

I quite enjoyed it, though the controls were slightly imprecise and over-compensated.
Yeah, PS3 version. 360 demo is fine, but the PS3 demo runs like shit. Feels like an early UE3 PS3 port.

I really really need to see the reviews now... what's taking them so long?

and the Story looks Amazing, hope it will have memorable characters like Heavenly Sword did <3

FrankT

The Praiseworthy said:

and the Story looks Amazing, hope it will have memorable characters like Heavenly Sword did <3

Would be nice to have some reviews this week.

Moobabe

Was pretty disappointed in the demo first time around - but I gave it a second swing and enjoyed it a little more. The voice acting is pretty good though I was a bit disappointed that you don't get to explore any of the environment outside of that flying machine. I'll keep an eye on it and wait and see what reviewers have to say about the ps3 version.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The Praiseworthy said:

As I played the demo my wife kept referring to the girl as Nariko. I am looking forward to the reviews, if they fixed the technical issues, I think I will get it.

DaBuddaDa said:
*vomits in mouth*

Agreed, they can keep their words to themselves.

I thought the demo (PS3 here) was pretty awesome. Seems like this will be a very good little romp, despite some technical issues, but little things don't bother me luckily. Nothing game-breaking here.
Picking it up day one! :D

aegies

DaBuddaDa said:
*vomits in mouth*

Good to know!

wehavefeelings.jpg

DaBuddaDa

aegies said:
Good to know!
Please give whoever wrote the Castlevania review a punch in the arm for me. Or maybe a swirly. Or a wedgie. Or all three.

DevelopmentArrested said:
well he did spread his barf around...
no no no, I kept it in my mouth, held it in. I would never throw up on an OT.

FrankT

wouwie said:

Not bad at all. Seems like PS3 version might retain some of the issues noted here, but otherwise as far as content not too bad.
Is it better than…?

Heavenly Sword? Yes. While the voice acting and character expressions are impressive in both games, Enslaved has that extra emotional touch to the writing, and the relationship between Monkey and Trip has no comparison in Heavenly Sword. Also, Enslaved doesn’t have obnoxious quick time events. And even though the combat in Enslaved is technically less complex and certainly less flashy, it feels more like you’re performing methodical attacks instead of pressing buttons and watching Nariko fly through the air. The other advantage, of course, is that Enslaved isn’t quite as short as Heavenly Sword. It’s not super-long either, but it doesn’t leave you saying, “Is that it?”

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow? No. Castlevania is a safer bet for the gamer’s gamer. Its gameplay is rock-solid and polished until you can see yourself in it. It’s massive, giving you far more game for your buck. At the same time, it isn’t original – Enslaved has that beat by a foliage-strangled country mile. Castlevania’s story is also the usual videogame tripe, although the voice acting is still top-notch. For those wanting to see where videogames could be heading, Enslaved is the guiding light. For those wanting to see the culmination of where games have come, Castlevania lumps it all together into a rich, briny soup and lets you drink deep.

ICO? This is going to garner some hate, but in this reviewer’s eyes, yes. ICO should have been the perfect game for us, seeing as we love some good old lonely climbing of crumbly castles, but when we played ICO long after the hype train had built it up, we were massively disappointed. We’re not saying it’s not a good game, but we had a hard time enjoying it – fighting shadows off Yorda over and over got real tired real quick, and many of the puzzles felt unfair in their obscurity. And we have to go with Monkey and Trip’s relationship over two non-speaking non-characters any day. We’re sure plenty of gamers will play both of these games and call us crazy, but we call it like we see it.

Stuff of legends here. :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I was already sold on the game by the demo, but that review solidified my purchase. Gonna be rough juggling Reach, Dead Rising 2, Castlevania LOS and this, but eh, whatever.

I'm getting this and Castlevania on the same day. I'm actually leaning towards playing this first since I really enjoyed the demo and I like Ninja Theory's work.

Haunted

After people telling me that the new Castlevania is not really a Metroidvania game, but more of an action title in the vein of God of War, I'm tempted to get
both from the bomba bin.

DaBuddaDa

Jtyettis said:
3 8's from major reviewers. This might be solid.
They all have said the same thing: unparalleled storytelling, voice acting and motion cap, great art design, but plagued with little graphical glitches and simple combat.

Corto

So between Enslaved and Castlevania, who is going to be 2010's "Borderlands" and who is going to be "Brutal Legend"?

Corto said:
So between Enslaved and Castlevania, who is going to be 2010's "Borderlands" and who is going to be "Brutal Legend"?

For what it's worth, I pre-ordered Enslaved at EB and nobody knew what I was talking about.

DaBuddaDa said:
They all have said the same thing: unparalleled storytelling, voice acting and motion cap, great art design, but plagued with little graphical glitches and simple combat.
Yeah, I think it's pretty unquestionable that Ninja Theory does have talented art design folks and that they're great at cutscene production and direction. I think they're a horrendous match for the DMC franchise, but I'd like to see them get a success under their belt that allows them to hire some more talented combat designers and enough/better programmers/QA folks to help iron out some of the kinks and bugs that seem to crop up with them. I do think a properly funded Ninja Theory could actually be an excellent match for something like an Onimusha reboot.

Kolgar

Yeah, that Eurogamer review did it for me. Good pacing, great story, atmosphere and characters, lush visuals, no frustration.

I'm now a preorder and bringing this home next week.

FrankT

DaBuddaDa said:

Yea I may end up having to pick this up afterall too.

mm04

I'm tempted to buy this now, too. Especially with the Amazon $10 credit. But I just bought Guardian of Light and Darksiders on Steam and also God of War Collection (new) and God of War 3 (used) for $40 total. That's a pretty good price for all 3 God of War games. I guess I've got a few days to decide. But the more positive reviews I see, the more I want to pull the trigger on it.

Oli

mm04 said:
I'm tempted to buy this now, too. Especially with the Amazon $10 credit. But I just bought Guardian of Light and Darksiders on Steam and also God of War Collection (new) and God of War 3 (used) for $40 total. That's a pretty good price for all 3 God of War games. I guess I've got a few days to decide. But the more positive reviews I see, the more I want to pull the trigger on it.

Supposedly K Mart is going to offer a 25 dollar coupon with purchase. Keep an eye on their Sunday paper insert.

Despera

Banned
My friend just told me that both this and Castlevania are already out...

Gonna grab 'em both today! Castlevania for my PS3, Enslaved for my 360.

Shurs

Oli said:
Supposedly K Mart is going to offer a 25 dollar coupon with purchase. Keep an eye on their Sunday paper insert.

It's confirmed.

They're also offering a $20 coupon with Castlevania.

Oli

Despera said:
My friend just told me that both this and Castlevania are already out...

Gonna grab 'em both today! Castlevania for my PS3, Enslaved for my 360.

Unless a store broke the street date, don't count on it. It's officially out on the 5th.

Shurs said:
It's confirmed.

They're also offering a $20 coupon with Castlevania.

Cool. If I pick it up next week I'll buy it there.

Love the boxart, too bad it comes out the same day as Castlevania =/ I will get this eventually though, enjoyed the demo.

I also think it's worth noting there is screen tearing in the PS3 version, if anyone was curious about which is better. NT denies it but its obvious in the demo.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Holy crap, finally played the 360 demo. Blown away entirely. It's on rails, sure, but so was Uncharted.

This is basically Uncharted in the future. Production values were astounding. Can't wait to pick it up.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
FlyinJ said:
Holy crap, finally played the 360 demo. Blown away entirely. It's on rails, sure, but so was Uncharted.

This is basically Uncharted in the future. Production values were astounding. Can't wait to pick it up.

What have you done

Edgeward

I really enjoyed this more than the LoS demo, really. I absolutely enjoyed the cinematic platforming, and the aesthetics are gorgeous. The scale of environments was massive and I dug that a lot. Combat was simple but that's not a determent to me, better that than frustrating.

The weird lip-syncing issue at the end cutscene of the demo and tearing when swinging the camera around (ps3 version) annoyed me a bit, so I hope they aren't as pronounced or any worse in the full game. Definitely will keep an eye on this, got to much of a backlog atm. But the demo did turn around my view on the game.

Hydrargyrus

Seems like it's gonna be between 7'5 and 8 in major reviews.
I don't know but after playing the demo, I believe that doesn't deserve more

I'll buy it when I'll see a bargain price (around 20-25€)

FlyinJ said:

:lol :lol :lol Last time I checked you could die from missing a jump in Uncharted.

JohngPR

Glad to see initial scores are high. Not reading them though. :lol

As much as I want to play this game, Castlevania looks the most polished of the two so I'm getting that first. Now I just need to decide if I want to get this, or NBA 2K11 from Gamefly on day 1.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Gameplay was overall much more consistently strong than Heavenly Sword. The story was more engaging IMO overall as well and the environments were drop dead gorgeous.

Honestly, there is hope for this studio yet.

My score 8/10

Loudninja

Kodiak said:
Gameplay was overall much more consistently strong than Heavenly Sword. The story was more engaging IMO overall as well and the environments were drop dead gorgeous.

Honestly, there is hope for this studio yet.

My score 8/10
You got the full game?How long it take you to beat it?

Seems both version have tearing
Both versions looked absolutely beautiful, proving once more that the Unreal 3 engine has lots more juice inside. We did notice that both versions had their fair share of screen tearing throughout ( check the last few pictures in the Gallery at the top of the page ), but without running it through our analyzer, the exact amount can only be speculation. Based on this demo, Enslaved is shaping up to be a killer app, and the graphics in this build looked almost identical across platforms. Check back soon for our full report after we run this demo through our analyzer. Note: We will be performing a complete Head2Head when the final build hits store shelves later next month
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=22537http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=22537

I never notice this stuff guess I am lucky :)

Enslaved demo PS3/360 performance analysis
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/enslaved-demo-ps3-360-performance-analysis

360 version looks more stable.

Top Bottom