• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

crispyben

Just Platinum'd this after two playthroughs and a few chapter selects, and I guess that means the good ultimately outweighs the bad, but not by much. The game's a great ride, with an endearing cast and a WTF ending. However, when you try to push it to get some of those trophies/achievements, its weaknesses really start to show, most notably with the controls and camera which I find myself fighting constantly, especially during fights. Still, I hope it sells enough to warrant a sequel, but I guess that will also depend on DmC somehow...

skyfinch

I'm down to only 2 achievements left, and they're the most annoying. That stupid rhino chase under 35 seconds. It's not a difficult achievement, it's just very annoying to have to restart the entire level if you miss it. I can never pause the game in time to restart the last check point.

The last achievement I need are those damn orbs. I have 100% in 8 of the levels, and 97% on the rest. Ninja Theory did a fine job at hiding those things because I have no clue as to where they are.

Wish there were more upgrades or things you can buy with these orbs. After upgrading everything, I'm back up to over 200k orbs and I can't do anything with them.

crispyben

skyfinch said:
I'm down to only 2 achievements left, and they're the most annoying. That stupid rhino chase under 35 seconds. It's not a difficult achievement, it's just very annoying to have to restart the entire level if you miss it. I can never pause the game in time to restart the last check point.
When you get to the beginning of the chase, quit the game and copy your save to a thumbdrive. It's still a pain, but less so than playing through the chapter. Also, do it on easy and don't jump on the ramp that sends you very high.

skyfinch said:
The last achievement I need are those damn orbs. I have 100% in 8 of the levels, and 97% on the rest. Ninja Theory did a fine job at hiding those things because I have no clue as to where they are.
I used a guide, some of them were quite fiendish...

Scarecrow

I'm kinda stuck on the second Dog fight. My shootin' resources have been nearly drained due to the gauntlet that came right before, just after activating the windmill. This bitch hits me three times and kills me. Is there some trick to this one?

Oli

Scarecrow said:
I'm kinda stuck on the second Dog fight. My shootin' resources have been nearly drained due to the gauntlet that came right before, just after activating the windmill. This bitch hits me three times and kills me. Is there some trick to this one?

Not sure if it's really a trick, but if you have enough stun, you can just keep him down by shooting him as soon as he gets up, and take him down quicker this way.

skyfinch

crispyben said:
When you get to the beginning of the chase, quit the game and copy your save to a thumbdrive. It's still a pain, but less so than playing through the chapter. Also, do it on easy and don't jump on the ramp that sends you very high.

Then what? Does the game restart at the beginning of the chase sequence?

Scarecrow

Oli said:
Not sure if it's really a trick, but if you have enough stun, you can just keep him down by shooting him as soon as he gets up, and take him down quicker this way.
Well, I only have about 4 stun left (I know more respawns around the arena, and I wish the plasma ammo did too. That stuff really knocks down his health), and whacking him does so little. I guess this'll be a battle of attrition.

skyfinch

Scarecrow said:
Well, I only have about 4 stun left (I know more respawns around the arena, and I wish the plasma ammo did too. That stuff really knocks down his health), and whacking him does so little. I guess this'll be a battle of attrition.

Have you upgraded your weapon so that you can do that focus attack (I think that's what it's called, Y+B buttons). It has to charge up, but it take a lot of damage off of the dog when you use it.

Other than that, you might have to restart the level and stock up on the blue ammo.

This is easily one of the biggest love/hate threads I've read in a while. There's so much polarity between posts here. I'm going to give it a shot as soon as it drops to about $40.

disappeared said:
This is easily one of the biggest love/hate threads I've read in a while. There's so much polarity between posts here. I'm going to give it a shot as soon as it drops to about $40.
id say 40 is fair

Erasus

disappeared said:

Going to do the same. Will wait until after christmas to pick it up.

crispyben

skyfinch said:
Then what? Does the game restart at the beginning of the chase sequence?
Then you can quit the game, copy the save over and relaunch the game, which is still shorter than replaying through the chapter. However, on Easy, it shouldn't take you many tries. If you did it under the requested time, the "saving" indicator will appear immediately in the lower right-hand corner.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
disappeared said:

I love this game but also HATE it as much at the same time.
The combat is terrible along with the camera where you cant see anything when you are forced into a corner and the difficulty is very very uneven.
I'm playing on hard and you can breeze through some sections and them want to smash the controller to pieces in others.

Amir0x

Banned
navanman said:
I love this game but also HATE it as much at the same time.
The combat is terrible along with the camera where you cant see anything when you are forced into a corner and the difficulty is very very uneven.
I'm playing on hard and you can breeze through some sections and them want to smash the controller to pieces in others.

Only really that one
windmill battle
was frustrating on hard, I thought. And that was just like the game conspiring with every shitty thing about the combat - the wonky targeting, the terrible camera, the awful framerate, fifty mechs at once, etc.

The one battle where you're putting
four energy cells back online or whatever they are
is second, but I didn't die on it... just it lasted forever.

derFeef

Amir0x said:
Only really that one
windmill battle
was frustrating on hard, I thought. And that was just like the game conspiring with every shitty thing about the combat - the wonky targeting, the terrible camera, the awful framerate, fifty mechs at once, etc.

The one battle where you're putting
four energy cells back online or whatever they are
is second, but I didn't die on it... just it lasted forever.
Oh god yes. I died like 14 times on that first one you mentioned. I got to upgrade most of my stuff because I killed so many god damn mechs there. It was ridiculous.

I also hated the repeating bosses - doing the same stuff over and over is not fun. It´s getting tedious very fast.

skyfinch

crispyben said:
Then you can quit the game, copy the save over and relaunch the game, which is still shorter than replaying through the chapter. However, on Easy, it shouldn't take you many tries. If you did it under the requested time, the "saving" indicator will appear immediately in the lower right-hand corner.

Managed to get the achievement. Thanks for your help.

Veelk

Banned
If that ending was trying to inject some moral ambiguity into the story, or even just explain some stuff...it kinda failed....

So the guy is keeping everyone in a virtual paradise and this is supposedly suppose to justify everything he does...right, okay. Since we didn't really get an explanation of how mechs overran the planet, and since he is controlling the mechs, I have to assume that he is the one who unleashed the mech apocalypse that destroyed the word. Even if he isn't, he is preventing people from bringing their world back to life. He forced people into those headbands without their will, knowledge, or consent. He even kills them should they choose to disobey, and several of the mechs who are roaming the planet are clearly not designed to take captures, particularly the dog and the turrets. He probably created and definitely maintains the 'wasteland' he hates so much, forces people under his control and kills them at the first sign of disobedience and tries to silence anyone who objects to his rule...and we're suppose to be morally confused over our actions because he has his slaves living in a fantasy (which can be easily considered incentive to keep the slaves obeying rather than having them commit suicide of they have an awful life)?

But this still doesn't explain much. We now understand how he does it and how he thinks his work is justified, but we know little as to what actually happened. What unleashed the mechs(I'm assuming it was the guy, but I don't know for sure)? How is he feeding and taking care of all these people in the fucking desert of all things? Why is the pyramid so sleek and advanced while the mech technology is so rusted, dirty and old? I guess they could just be older models, but we'd have surely seen newer machines besides the Scorpions. They can't all be that old, they'd have to have made newer mechs. And why is he doing all this? The only reason I could think of is the world's most lethal messiah complex, but otherwise, I just don't get it. Is he thinking of just keeping the entire human race enslaved like this, or was he planning to do anything with them? I mean, they have to fuck, or else the whole of humanity will be wiped out withing a hundred years, which judging from how old the body was and how he has to resort to creating a memory to operate for him since his body seems brain dead at this point.

Yeah, any explanations?

No45

Generic said:
Yeah, any explanations?
You're making the assumption that he's responsible for the 'apocalypse', which isn't necessarily the case and if you assume the opposite, helps things make a little more sense. He could have survived and developed this technology under the belief that people would prefer to live an easy, naive life (Hi Matrix/Wall.E) rather than try to survive and revitalise the world as it is.

Whether the belief was ever OK is debatable, but it's clear that it's now misguided.

Other than that I like the question marks over what Pyramid is, and how the Pyramid itself came about as it seems so alien (clue?) to the way the world is.

The thing that goes over in my mind is - who is he? Where was he communicating from? I now can't recall if the conversation was two way (And I only completed it last night. :p) or if it was just a recording.

I ultimately enjoyed it anyway. I had some initial concerns about how quickly the relationship between Monkey and Trip developed (He should have been a lot madder for a lot longer), but as the game moved on it was handled well. A lot of the facial animation was fantastic, there aren't many games that can convey the right emotion that way.

Even
Pigsy
was well handled as a lighter character to give some relief, but with some depth and meaning.

My main gripes are probably the same as most others. The framerate in places is truly shocking (I have a high tolerance for this usually) and the camera makes a lot of the combat unnecessarily difficult. Unlike a lot though I played it through first time on hard without any serious choke points (I don't think I died more than twice in a single combat section).

I'll forever hate them for the pathetic reasoning as to why the Cloud only works in certain areas.

Going to go back through this using chapter select to try for the platinum now. Not looking forward to finding the remaining orbs!

skyfinch

Managed 100% orbs on 2 more levels (4 more levels to go). I'll find them all even if it kills me.

Some are right in front of you, but you walk right past them, which makes it so frustrating.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
skyfinch said:
Managed 100% orbs on 2 more levels (4 more levels to go). I'll find them all even if it kills me.

Some are right in front of you, but you walk right past them, which makes it so frustrating.

Why bother?

seady

Having beat the game in one day last week, and now having time to reflect upon it, the game actually is quite forgettable.

The story actually isn't that great. While the characters are interesting at first, they never really developed further beyond the first chapter. The plot and environment just stay pretty much the same with you fighting against the same unknown bots from the beginning, and there isn't any peak to the story at all. The connection between Monkey and Trip also isn't very convincing.

seady said:
Having beat the game in one day last week, and now having time to reflect upon it, the game actually is quite forgettable.

The story actually isn't that great. While the characters are interesting at first, they never really developed further beyond the first chapter. The plot and environment just stay pretty much the same with you fighting against the same unknown bots from the beginning, and there isn't any peak to the story at all. The connection between Monkey and Trip also isn't very convincing.
I feel there needs to be a spoiler free thread to get deep into this.

No45 said:
You mean a spoiler laden thread? :p

I think he's joshing.
Sorry yeah that's what I meant and yes I was joking there is no"good" ending, you get the same ending no matter what. I'm playing too much Dead Rising 2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
skyfinch said:
$60 isn't easy to find. I'm going to get everything out of this game that I can, even if it means all the achievements.
Was tempted to hunt some orbs myself at one point, but the god awful framerate in the second half of the game is a huge turnoff. If a game doesn't "feel" good to play, it's hard for me to go back. :(

quetz67

Banned
Love it, if only for the colorful postapocalyptic graphics. didnt want to buy it after I saw the aliased 360 version, but PS3 looks OK for me as I can just stand that washed out look better.

Noting really special about gameplay, story or characters, but I find it all entertaining.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
dark10x said:
Was tempted to hunt some orbs myself at one point, but the god awful framerate in the second half of the game is a huge turnoff. If a game doesn't "feel" good to play, it's hard for me to go back. :(

are the framerate issues on 360, PS3 or both? Sorry if this is a multi-answered question but I haven't kept up since launch : X

No45

Both, I think. I would guess it's better on the 360 though.

Managed to 100% chapters 2 and 3 and pick up the Untouchable trophy (Do this on chapter 3 on easy, it's a doddle). Not looking forward to doing it for some of the later levels when you have to pick the orbs up under duress!

Raistlin

disappeared said:
This is easily one of the biggest love/hate threads I've read in a while. There's so much polarity between posts here.

Last thread I recall like it was for Heavenly Sword :lol

Just beat the game, loved the ending. I am not sure if I am going to platinum the game (not a fan of looking for all those orbs.) but can see where the cameras are a pain especially when fighting.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
This game pisses me off. I'm really not enjoying it at all. I'm almost hating it actually. And I'm easy on games. But I feel so handcuffed by the controls and animations.

I think the camera is too close during battles. I hate charging my stun while the camera shows my back and there are three enemies behind me.

* am I an idiot and just haven't realized that there is a lock on button? Or is this really the first game in ages I have played that doesn't have that feature?

I feel like I should be in love with this game. But I'm just not.

No45

Nope, no lock-on. I usually start the fight trying to get myself into space and all of the enemies in front of me so that I can use the stun to even the odds.

Edgeward

Beat it. Fucking awesome. I was afraid the ending would go a real meta route given some of the clues shown and the early reaction to it, but it wasn't and made sense.

I am also a big fan of the second half the pacing and action was pretty intense and kept you going forward without stopping and built up to the finale quite nicely. It's unfortunate the combat does not do the action sequences justice, Monkey simply isn't as well equip as he should be to takedown so many enemies near the end and it just becomes not hard but tedious because of it's straightforward tactics to destroy mechs. Also the performance issues on the ps3 version are quite annoying, sad to see from a developer that made a ps3 exclusive previously that what I've seen and read is technically great.

It was still a fucking blast and I would love to plat this game if not for the horrible autosave system where I can't manually save or choose to continue from certain spots, saving Trip in 36 secs comes to mind as those spots are near the end of chapters. At least it's nice enough to show in the chapter select how many masks and percentage of orbs collected in each one.

Solid game, but even better characters and presentation.

skyfinch

Edgeward said:
Beat it. Fucking awesome. I was afraid the ending would go a real meta route given some of the clues shown and the early reaction to it, but it wasn't and made sense.

I am also a big fan of the second half the pacing and action was pretty intense and kept you going forward without stopping and built up to the finale quite nicely. It's unfortunate the combat does not do the action sequences justice, Monkey simply isn't as well equip as he should be to takedown so many enemies near the end and it just becomes not hard but tedious because of it's straightforward tactics to destroy mechs. Also the performance issues on the ps3 version are quite annoying, sad to see from a developer that made a ps3 exclusive previously that what I've seen and read is technically great.

It was still a fucking blast and I would love to plat this game if not for the horrible autosave system where I can't manually save or choose to continue from certain spots, saving Trip in 36 secs comes to mind as those spots are near the end of chapters. At least it's nice enough to show in the chapter select how many masks and percentage of orbs collected in each one.

Solid game, but even better characters and presentation.

Doesn't help much. Especially when you have to exit the game in order to see how many orbs you have. I don't understand why they couldn't have it in the pause screen, or even in the hud.

100% on all but 2 levels. Those 2 levels are at 99%:lol I think I'm finished with this game. Impossible to find one orb on the entire level.

Wow I played the demo on PS3 and thought it was actually a pretty good game. But the camera got annoying when fighting some of the robots.

Maybe I'll pick it up someday, although now I regret not buying it on Amazon for $25 the other day.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
skyfinch said:
Doesn't help much. Especially when you have to exit the game in order to see how many orbs you have. I don't understand why they couldn't have it in the pause screen, or even in the hud.

100% on all but 2 levels. Those 2 levels are at 99%:lol I think I'm finished with this game. Impossible to find one orb on the entire level.

The reason it is so hard to find some of those orbs is they will be sitting in a ray of sunshine. So you walk right by it. There are several like that.

The orb walkthrough at xbox360achievements.org is pretty good. Maybe that will help.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=264997

Top Bottom