• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

Sorry for the bump. Does the game have audio sync issues during cutscenes? I'm trying to figure out if its my receiver/tv or not and is there anyway to fix it? (PS3 version).

MedHead

Lion Heart said:
Sorry for the bump. Does the game have audio sync issues during cutscenes? I'm trying to figure out if its my receiver/tv or not and is there anyway to fix it? (PS3 version).
It happens occasionally, but nowhere near as often as Heavenly Sword.

I just finished the game a bit ago, and I really enjoyed the game. I don't seem to be as fickle as some of you, as the lower framerate didn't bother me much, and the art design was so great that the potential flaws of the engine weren't troublesome. The ending did feel a little short, but I still really enjoyed the game. I think Ninja Theory's script writing and character interactions improved from their work on Heavenly Sword. The game actually had moments of humor, which was far better than having it be sad at all times.

I don't know why so many people protested the use of real video and pictures in the game, because they helped me connect the futuristic version of Earth with the present day. I thought it was an effective use of photography and video.

Edgeward

Lion Heart said:

I didn't encounter any myself and I was really looking after playing the demo where it was really bad at the end of it.

I think I'm on Chapter 9, and while I am loving the game so far, it has a ton of bugs.

I couldn't get past that Windmill puzzle forever, it kept glitching and Tripp wouldn't do what I asked, I just had to keep trying like 100 times and finally one of them clicked and she moved the stupid thing for me. That was almost a game breaker.

Also the sound cuts out a lot, I took down of of the Dogs and throughout the whole animation there was just music, no sound effects of it being smashed. Also the audio syncing is terrible.

I do love the story and the design. I'm a big Alex Garland fan so I'm anxious to see where its headed. Just a shame that I've felt like trading it cause of a potentially game breaking bug.

McLovin

Lion Heart said:
Happened to me a lot, I was playing it on hard so I had to repeat a lots of scenes. I noticed that the first time through it would miss a tone of sound effects. It usually caught them on the retry though. I also noticed that if I moved the analog sticks around while it was loading Monkey would sometimes be uncontrollable for a second after it loaded. It was really annoying.

TSAGoodness said:
I think I'm on Chapter 9, and while I am loving the game so far, it has a ton of bugs.

I couldn't get past that Windmill puzzle forever, it kept glitching and Tripp wouldn't do what I asked, I just had to keep trying like 100 times and finally one of them clicked and she moved the stupid thing for me. That was almost a game breaker.

Also the sound cuts out a lot, I took down of of the Dogs and throughout the whole animation there was just music, no sound effects of it being smashed. Also the audio syncing is terrible.

I do love the story and the design. I'm a big Alex Garland fan so I'm anxious to see where its headed. Just a shame that I've felt like trading it cause of a potentially game breaking bug.
Less bugs after the windmill it's all pretty smooth after that.

Carl

Picked this up on Saturday, finished it Sunday. I thought it was a brilliant game. Great fun, and extremely gorgeous at some points. well worth the money for me :)

Just finished it and I think I actually liked it a lot. I wouldn't say love, but I thought the ending was fantastic.
it had a matrix like vibe to it, but I didn't see that coming for some reason. I thought the ending would be Andy Serkis waking up in real life, showing that the whole game was actually a simulation, turned out to be the reverse of that though I guess.

I think I fall with the general consensus, great game, flawed, fantastic story.

Shuusui

So, I just beat the game..... not a bad experience overall! Worth the $25 I spent on it.

My question is.... how much of a hassle are those orbs? Looked to be an easy platinum until I saw that I have to grab them all...

TSAGoodness said:
Just finished it and I think I actually liked it a lot. I wouldn't say love, but I thought the ending was fantastic.
it had a matrix like vibe to it, but I didn't see that coming for some reason. I thought the ending would be Andy Serkis waking up in real life, showing that the whole game was actually a simulation, turned out to be the reverse of that though I guess.

I think I fall with the general consensus, great game, flawed, fantastic story.

That was a thought I ran through as well! I suppose the
real world images make that a common theory
. I wasn't a fan of blending that style in with the game in the end but it was an unique combination.

robot

To those who picked this up cheap and enjoyed it, I highly recommend the "Pigsys Perfect Ten" DLC. It's a complete 4-5(?) hour side story where you play as Pigsy. Gameplay is more strategic since he's much weaker. He has a sniper rifle and 4 different bombs you unlock throughout the adventure. The presentation was one of my favorite parts of it as well, heavily stylized cut scenes w/ music that reminded me of Cowboy Bebop.

Youtube it for more info, otherwise go grab it at 800 points.

TripOpt55

robot said:
To those who picked this up cheap and enjoyed it, I highly recommend the "Pigsys Perfect Ten" DLC. It's a complete 4-5(?) hour side story where you play as Pigsy. Gameplay is more strategic since he's much weaker. He has a sniper rifle and 4 different bombs you unlock throughout the adventure. The presentation was one of my favorite parts of it as well, heavily stylized cut scenes w/ music that reminded me of Cowboy Bebop.

Youtube it for more info, otherwise go grab it at 800 points.
I've really been considering getting this, but haven't pulled the trigger. I wasn't a huge fan of Pigsy, but what I've read about the DLC sounds good so I may get it over the Christmas break.

Just a quick heads up that Enslaved is only $20 right now on amazon.com

Got it from gamefly myself and surprised how much I am enjoying it so far. Anyone have any tips on the combat system? Seems that is the one this that doesn't feel great.

Meier

Just started playing this the other day and I am very impressed. About halfway through now I think (just regrouped with Trip) and I am loving it. It's a wee bit repetitive but all games of this type are. Graphics are wonderful -- Trip's design is quite pretty.

I am guessing Andy Serkis' character is involved with something along the lines of Assassin's Creed or he is in a coma or something. Looking forward to finding out.

I have to say, after being a pretty big fan of Heavenly Sword, I was a bit disappointed with the story and presentation of Enslaved. The cutscenes in Heavenly Sword felt like true performances, developing character more than simply advancing the story. Up to Pigsy being introduced, there isn't much in Enslaved resembling that, and even then, nothing really compares. The voice acting is still good and the story compares favorably to most games, but it didn't meet my expectations.

I'm thinking Ninja Theory probably didn't have the budget to produce that amount of content this time around, but stronger presentation would have bolstered what I consider to be pretty simple gameplay; platforming is pretty automatic and there isn't much depth to the combat system.

Andy Serkis is pretty solid once again. I hope he keeps being involved with games.

Despite my negativity, I still felt like it was worth playing, but not quite what I was hoping for.

Dead

well not really...yet
Meier said:
Just started playing this the other day and I am very impressed. About halfway through now I think (just regrouped with Trip) and I am loving it. It's a wee bit repetitive but all games of this type are. Graphics are wonderful -- Trip's design is quite pretty.

I am guessing Andy Serkis' character is involved with something along the lines of Assassin's Creed or he is in a coma or something. Looking forward to finding out.
Yeah, I bought this the other day and am really enjoying it as well.

Kinda wish I had bought it rather than Castlevania when they came out

Ellis Kim

Banned
Jumped on the amazon deal, and just finished the game a few hours ago. I was a huge proponent of HS back when I first played it, so I went into this with lofty expectations on character performance, especially after hearing so much post-hype on several podcasts.

I have to say, I was fairly pleased with the game. Outside of the audio glitching, and the credits ending abruptly, the game really did a good job on not making it feel like I'm being constantly put into combat boxes, even if I was. The flavor dialogue and lack of voice repetition put the game's quality bar right next to Uncharted 1, which is always an impressive feat.

I just finished this game!

I really disliked it!

The whole game felt incredibly boring to me the entire way through, the ending was actively insulting, the game was more or less a technical mess, and the much-lauded story was overhyped beyond belief.

Good things:

- Some of the dialogue was okay!
- One or two areas looked nice and did not have ridiculous framerate drops
- Trip was a neat character

Bad things:

- omg everything else

crispyben

Loudninja said:
I have 99% of the tech orbs in chapter 3, I cannot find the last one.
You could use that guide, I managed to get 100% of them with one of its earlier, less nice incarnation. Lots of single orbs in that chapter, though their instructions about that last section seem wrong, I think you can get all orbs on one playthrough by getting down one floor on the right side first...

Meier

So I restarted on Hard mode and got a kick out of the opening cinematic after Chapter 1. Trip's shirt is a dead ringer (color wise) for Jill Valentine's and I'm confident they modeled her after Olivia Munn. When first playing I didn't think anything of it but it was immediately evident that something was off the second time. I'm sure that's old news but it was pretty funny to me.

I just played the demo on 360 and holy shit do I need this game now. It gives me an ultra Uncharted vibe, and the trailer afterwards looked amazing.

This might be the biggest game I overlooked last year.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
I just played the demo on 360 and holy shit do I need this game now. It gives me an ultra Uncharted vibe, and the trailer afterwards looked amazing.

Don't be fooled by the demo. It's nothing like Uncharted. The climbing aspect of the game (which is used suprisingly often) is very mediocre because there is no way you can miss a jump or something. But what annoyed me most is that you can't even jump from all edges but only where the developers allow you to. Felt very stupid a lot a time circling a platform to find the right spot to jump although I should have been allowed to jump almost everywhere because there was no cliff etc. anywhere.

and btw.: Worst engine choice for a game like this.

Not being allowed to miss a jump may not be challenging, but in the demo it worked really well because I could take in the spectacle of the ship crashing. I don't particularly need my platforming skills to be tested in a game like this, it just needs to look cool and feel satisfying, which it did in the demo.

It looked damn nice, too. I wish there was a PC version so I could crank it right up.

Loudninja

crispyben said:
You could use that guide, I managed to get 100% of them with one of its earlier, less nice incarnation. Lots of single orbs in that chapter, though their instructions about that last section seem wrong, I think you can get all orbs on one playthrough by getting down one floor on the right side first...
I got it,there is a glitch tech orb in that chapter.

Foliorum Viridum said:

After recently completing Uncharted 2 I would say Uncharted 2 is the superior action/platforming game but Enslaved had a better story and was a more fulfilling adventure game. If you liked the demo you'll love the game, it only gets better. If you didn't like the demo you probably won't like the game. The demo is a fair representation.

Nose Master

Why do they keep trying to mesh live action with polygons? Knock it the hell off.
The ending would have been monumentally better without a fucking Sewer Shark clip at the end of it.

I'm still at a loss for how Ninja Theory manages to secure big budgets for themselves from major publishers time and again. They must have a great sales pitch.

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm rather disappointed, but still unsurprised, that it undersold. It was probably my number 3 game of 2010.

The framerate left a lot to be desired but I thought Enslaved overall was a solid package in the quickly vanishing B tier.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Foliorum Viridum said:
Not being allowed to miss a jump may not be challenging, but in the demo it worked really well because I could take in the spectacle of the ship crashing. I don't particularly need my platforming skills to be tested in a game like this, it just needs to look cool and feel satisfying, which it did in the demo.

It looked damn nice, too. I wish there was a PC version so I could crank it right up.

I think on hard the handholds should not have glowed until about 3 seconds or so of waiting around.

While I agree it does not need to be challenging, the constant glowing in some heavy jump sections slightly ruined immersion for me.

I am currently going through on hard and mopping up orbs and masks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I finished the game. I liked it. 4/5.

More thought on the ending and the story later. In a nutshell: it's quite banal, but as it touches the timeless issue it's bound to be banal. When I first watched The Matrix I though that it was very derivative in its plot and underlying philosophy. Still it wasn't a bad movie.

Loudninja

AndyD said:
I think on hard the handholds should not have glowed until about 3 seconds or so of waiting around.

While I agree it does not need to be challenging, the constant glowing in some heavy jump sections slightly ruined immersion for me.

I am currently going through on hard and mopping up orbs and masks.
Btw if you missing a tech orb in chapter 3 its most likely glitch you can still get it though.

skyfinch

I'm down to 2 more orbs for the entire game. :lol I have no idea where to begin my search. In fact, it might even be easier if I deleted the save file and start all over.

Loudninja

skyfinch said:
I'm down to 2 more orbs for the entire game. :lol I have no idea where to begin my search. In fact, it might even be easier if I deleted the save file and start all over.
Check the chapter select it shows how many tech orbs you have for each chapter.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just played part of Pigsy's Perfect 10 and came away super impressed. It's one of the best produced DLC packs I've played yet. Really high quality stuff that's a lot of fun to play. What really surprised me is how different it is. It really plays like a different game and, in some ways, feels more polished than the original.

I'm surprised this was left out of best add-on discussions for 2010. I'm actually kind of more impressed with this than Shadow Broker.

TripOpt55

dark10x said:
Just played part of Pigsy's Perfect 10 and came away super impressed. It's one of the best produced DLC packs I've played yet. Really high quality stuff that's a lot of fun to play. What really surprised me is how different it is. It really plays like a different game and, in some ways, feels more polished than the original.

I'm surprised this was left out of best add-on discussions for 2010. I'm actually kind of more impressed with this than Shadow Broker.
I think I may finally grab it this weekend. People really seem to like it. I'm not a huge fan of Pigsy, but if it's fun, it's fun. I have nothing to play at the moment and it will give me something to do before getting LBP2 next week. I said this a month ago so I'll see if I follow through this time.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
dark10x said:

thanks I'll grab it.

i just started and got to chapter 4 so far, started on Hard since i just finished Castlevania on Hard and i've been hearing this game isn't anywhere near as complex with the fighting :p

Anyways, enjoy the characters banter and the world. The camera is frustrating as hell and the framerate drops are even worse than Castlevania...

Good game still, will play it to the end! ;D

Barrett2

dark10x said:
Considering how bad the framerate is in 2D on PS3, I doubt it's very good in 3D.
Hmm, that's troubling. Can anyone address this? Does the 3D mode in PS3 version substantially worsen the play experience? I'm not much of a framerate whore, but if it's unplayable....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Noisepurge said:
i just started and got to chapter 4 so far, started on Hard since i just finished Castlevania on Hard and i've been hearing this game isn't anywhere near as complex with the fighting :p

Anyways, enjoy the characters banter and the world. The camera is frustrating as hell and the framerate drops are even worse than Castlevania...

Good game still, will play it to the end! ;D
Are you playing on PS3 then?

The framerate on 360 is much much much smoother than Castlevania (though it has some rough spots in the second half of the game). The PS3 version, though, seemed really bad.

TripOpt55

Okay, I played a bit of Pigsy's Perfect Ten and it's pretty fun. It plays a lot different. It's more about stealth and shooting than platforming/melee combat like the main game was. It's also like a comedic adventure as opposed to... well whatever the main game is. Also, you have this sidekick that I think is pretty cool. I haven't played that much of it yet I don't think. Maybe like an hour and a half.

I really wish they broke down the collectibles by chapter though. It seems they just have one total for each. Hopefully they aren't too tough to find. There aren't as many of either of them as there were orbs though. More like the masks I guess.

Going to try and finish it up this weekend if I can.

Top Bottom