• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterprise may live on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ms-ouch.jpg

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
To be played on SpikeTV is basically the equivalent of death. Only instead of being buried, you're pooped on.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Kabuki Waq said:
fire all the writers and directors and then maybe it might have potential.
Manny Coto is the only good thing Star Trek has had since DS9.... why the hell would you fire him???????????

Fire Braga and Berman... THAT is what they need to do....

.hacked

I wish Sci-fi would step in and take over Enterprise. Stargate and Star trek on the same network, a nerd's dream come true :D

Soybean

Sci-Fi is perfect, but they don't want it. Spike TV is OK. They show TNG and DS9 after all. AND they show MacGyver! Surely they deserve some props.

After seeing how things have improved recently, I'd rather see it continue than worry about who will be showing it. Hell, I can't recall what channels hosted the earlier syndicated series, it was only when UPN made a big deal about having Voyager that people had no choice but to notice.

Spike TV would be fine.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
UPN never made a "big deal" about having Voyager. UPN is United Paramount Network. Paramount owns the rights to Star Trek. It would be foolish to show Star Trek on a different network than UPN (from the standpoint that Star Trek is/was one of Paramount's bread and butter properties). That said, if another station wants to foot the production bill for the series and Paramount doesn't want to, I don't see the harm in letting Spike pick it up.

As for the two earlier series, both were created before UPN came into existence. Hence both were created as syndicated series. I actually believe both were two of the most popular direct-to-syndication series of all time.

Also, Spike deserves SERIOUS props. For the former "The Nashville Network", that station has come a loooooooonnnggg way.

SpikeTV... the contract would state that at least half the episodes include decon gel.

borghe said:
UPN never made a "big deal" about having Voyager.
Well, being from an established franchise it was their star show. Well, other than Platypus Man.

borghe said:
UPN never made a "big deal" about having Voyager.

Wrong. They of course made a "big deal" about it as a primary focal point of the line-up for the then-new network. Apparently, there were even "Voyager-only" markets before some stations converted to full UPN markets. Just one little Googled snippet below:

In making the announcement, Mr. Tannehill said, "The fact that five of these new affiliates previously carried only `Star Trek: Voyager,' and another two were `Voyager Only' markets, proves that our distribution strategy is working. We firmly believed that getting our name and product into as much of the U.S. as possible during our first season was crucial. The strength of `Voyager's' initial performance combined with UPN's strong fall line-up were the only sales tools we needed to upgrade these markets. We expect to announce the addition of more stations in the coming weeks."

http://www.vidiot.com/UPN/Press/002.html

android

Theoretical Magician
If they ever resurect Star Trek it should go right to CBS. Put it on after CSI:Cleveland and get some lead in ratings.

Don't really know much about Star Trek, but maybe it should've taken a more Galactica-esque root? It seems like that may be more of what people want today in terms of modern, mainstream sci-fi.

ManaByte

There's an interesting rumor going around. Apparently Rick Berman was super pissed at the fan reaction to Manny Coto and his episodes, so he was the one who started to pressure Paramount into ending the show to undermine Coto and try to maintain control of the franchise.

android

Theoretical Magician
ManaByte said:
There's an interesting rumor going around. Apparently Rick Berman was super pissed at the fan reaction to Manny Coto and his episodes, so he was the one who started to pressure Paramount into ending the show to undermine Coto and try to maintain control of the franchise.
I knew it. He probably would have forced Gene Roddenberry out if he was alive. I mean didn't he run off Majel Barrett Roddenberry, as well as a lot of the producers Gene had chosen to work with. I hope Les Moonves gives the franchise a rest and then starts up again in the future with Coto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom