• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entertainment Weekly's Top 10 TV Shows 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Does Hannibal get significantly better in the second season? I watched the first season and wasn't really impressed -- it was OK, but isn't something I'd continue to make time for.

I thought the second season was leagues better than the first, albeit I did love the first season.

Second season is just crazy.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Where to watch them...

10) Hannibal = Netflix Canada / Sweden
09) The Good Wife = Netflix Canada / UK
08) Game of Thrones = hbogo.com
07) Mad Men = Netflix Canada / USA / Sweden
06) Inside Amy Schumer = Hulu / Amazon Prime
05) Louie = Netflix USA / Amazon Prime
04) Please Like Me = ???
03) Fargo = Netflix Netherlands
02) Rectify = www.sundance.tv
01) Transparent = Amazon Prime

Can't find #4 anywhere

Rectify is on Netflix Canada as well. In fact the season two episodes went up the day after it aired

Does Hannibal get significantly better in the second season? I watched the first season and wasn't really impressed -- it was OK, but isn't something I'd continue to make time for.

I felt the only real weak part for me was the very beginning(first season), before all of the relationships formed. Can't say it gets much different from late season one into two, so it probably won't change your opinion. I do think it's stronger in its second season.

Dalek

Entertainment Weekly is literally the worst piece of fluff having to do with the entertainment industry.

This list is crap.

I realize you're trying to be snooty, but while I agree that their features and covers are usually fluff, their film and tv critics are usually pretty good.

I realize you're trying to be snooty, but while I agree that their features and covers are usually fluff, their film and tv critics are usually pretty good.

I disagree! Muhahahahahaha!

The TV Show of the Year voting thread will be up in a week or two, so hold off on posting your lists until then guys! :)

I wait with baited breath to see what your list looks like then!

You'll see... you'll see.

The Knick, Boardwalk and true detective >>>>>> hannibal and Fargo easily imo

Wack to exclude them. Mad Men should be higher too, it's stagnated but is still compelling TV

And nathan for you is the best comedy on television

Alan Sepinwall and James Poniewozik put up their Top 10 lists too. Hitfix link has a video explaining his picks

Sepinwall:

10. True Detective
9. Mad Men
8. Hannibal
7. Rectify
6. Orange is the New Black
5. Fargo
4. Review
3. Transparent
2. The Americans
1. The Leftovers

Poniewozik:

1. Transparent
2. The Americans
3. The Good Wife
4. Orange Is the New Black
5. Fargo
6. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
7. Broad City
8. Louie
9. High Maintenance
10. Silicon Valley

… and here, in alphabetical order, are some shows I liked, considered for the list, but didn’t quite make it (here I’ve certainly left some fine shows off)…

Bob’s Burgers
The Bridge
The Comeback
Cosmos
Enlisted
Friday Night Tykes
Game of Thrones
Getting On
Hannibal
Happy Valley
The Honorable Woman
Inside Amy Schumer
Jane the Virgin
Key and Peele
The Knick
The Leftovers
Looking
Mad Men
Manhattan
Masters of Sex
Olive Kitteridge
Orphan Black
Outlander
Rectify
Review
True Detective
Veep

Mr.Swag

Banned
Can someone explain to me how True Detective wasn't the best thing on television this year?

Is it one of those "too good its bad" sorta things?

Dalek

Can someone explain to me how True Detective wasn't the best thing on television this year?

To me it's far and away the best thing on TV. The only thing I can think of is that the critics feel they want to give recognition to other less known or appreciated shows.

ivysaur12

Banned

I felt it sort of dropped the ball in its last few episodes, and there were better shows on the air that were doing more interesting character studies/thematic studies. I don't know if I'd include it on my top 10, though I certainly enjoyed it overall.

Sober

There was a lot of good TV on this year you could easily skip TD and not feel like you missed out.

Meier

Second season is amazing. I thought the first season was wonderful too, but by all accounts.. yes, season 2 just steps its game up in every regard. Probably my favorite show on TV.

Top 10 TV list is very difficult because I feel like dramas are always going to get more love. Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Bob's Burgers are must see TV but probably won't make many of these kinds of lists. I thought both were superior to Louie this year from a comedic perspective.

Glad to see Rectify getting respect. Amazing show, and still on Netflix last I checked.

I would have put True Detective and The Leftovers (loved it) there tho. And yeah, definitely no to Orphan Black being there. Season 2 was all over the place.

Pretty solid list. I wouldn't put Amy Shumer on a best of anything list and it's missing True Detective which was phenomenal.

I never really understood the Amy Shumer love. I watched her special and some of her show and my friends and I always made fun of it for being really bad but apparently it's well liked. Whatevs I guess.

Edit: I missed Penny Dreadful too. I really liked the sort of comic booky feel of brining all these characters together and the whole atmosphere was great. Also Eva Green.

Mr.Swag

Banned
My personal top
True Detective s.1
House of Cards. s.2
Mad Men s.7
Broad City. s.1
Veep s.3

PS. Edit. Runner up. "The Leftovers" dreamy show in which I understand its criticisms. But still love it.

Monocle

Glad to see Hannibal made it on there. It should be above Game of Thrones for sure, and certainly in the top three, but at least it wasn't totally snubbed.

Most Hannibal Season 2 episodes feel like season finales, seriously. And the actual season finale is just insane.

Pryce

my un-ordered top 10

The Americans
Mad Men
GoT
Rick and Morty
Rectify
Transparent
Hannibal
Fargo
True Detective
Veep

gaf how is my taste in tv.

Dalek

I got the actual issue in the mail today and there is a reason True Detective didn't make the list-there's an entire page devoted to it where their 2 critics discuss it. One of them loved it and the other did not and they discuss why.

zychi

Banned
No South Park? No Brooklyn Nine Nine? No New Girl(this season has been great)? No Doctor Who?

List sucks.

Turin

Banned
Hmmmmm, okay I'll give it a try.

1) Hannibal

2) Fargo

3) The Knick

4) True Detective

5) Boardwalk Empire

6) Game of Thrones

7) Sherlock

8) The Leftovers

9) Penny Dreadful

10) Homeland(season's not over but it's been pretty good so far)

Edit:
-Orange is the New Black is also really good.

-House of Cards didn't do it for me this year.

DOWN

Banned
I don't get the True Detectice omission.

EDIT:
I got the actual issue in the mail today and there is a reason True Detective didn't make the list-there's an entire page devoted to it where their 2 critics discuss it. One of them loved it and the other did not and they discuss why.
Oh. I'm a subscriber and didn't get to that page yet apparently lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom