• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entrance to moon tunnels possibly found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty cool stuff. Reminds me of seveneves. Would absolutely LOVE to see us pursue a small colony (what's reasonable? 150 people?) There in my lifetime. It would give me hope for the future of space exploration before I die

A deep hole on the moon that could open into a vast underground tunnel has been found for the first time. The discovery strengthens evidence for subsurface, lava-carved channels that could shield future human colonists from space radiation and other hazards.

I mean.... couldn't you just dig tunnels once you're there?

Laiza

Yes, but that takes time and, most importantly, lots of energy - something that is on a premium when you're just starting out trying to build a colony.

Having that shelter there means there's no time pressure to get something up and running immediately. Instead, they can just shove equipment into these tunnels and take advantage of the space that's already present. Considering the sheer size of the cavities involved, this is a pretty major boon.

Looks very interesting. The Moon is full of Helium 3 which is an amazing source of energy. I could see this becoming a city in century or two.

Interesting.

Holy Necro

Why use Philly as a metric?

Death-Grips-Niggas-on-the-MoonThe-Powers-That-B-Part-1.jpg

RCSI

We'd have to get the equipment there to dig tunnels, which is expensive already. Shielding increases the mass we need to launch and these tunnels/caverns will take the place of that extra shielding.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Quit being a lazy person and make a new thread, rather than bumping a seven year old thread and making everyone sad about Gaborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom