• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic CEO Tim Sweeney Says Only Exclusive Deals Can Combat Steam

Yes, GoG is a perfect example...11 years online and their crowning achievement is having a single title outsell its steam release? Do you really think given 11 years EGS isn't going to have dwarfed that entirely? GoG was and always will be niche, because people are unwilling to split their libraries. It's not competition in the market, and EGS by comparison is doing far better considering it's taken GoG 11 years to get this far
Yes...it's because people are unwilling to split their libraries despite more people than not doing exactly that with The Witcher 3. Maybe if you weren't up to the neck in your anti-Steam bullshit you might realize that is a sign that the problem isn't with the consumer, who are quite clearly willing to split their library if it actually benefits them, but with greedy publishers who are unwilling to put their games on GOG day 1 because of irrational fears about piracy that ends up happening en masse anyway despite them suffocating their games with multiple different DRMs. Could you possibly sound any more willfully ignorant?

Blancka

Yes...it's because people are unwilling to split their libraries despite more people than not doing exactly that with The Witcher 3. Maybe if you weren't up to the neck in your anti-Steam bullshit you might realize that is a sign that the problem isn't with the consumer, who are quite clearly willing to split their library if it actually benefits them, but with greedy publishers who are unwilling to put their games on GOG day 1 because of irrational fears about piracy that ends up happening en masse anyway despite them suffocating their games with multiple different DRMs. Could you possibly sound any more willfully ignorant?
TW3 is an exception though. GoG is the most direct way to support CDPR and a lot of people wanted to do that with TW3. That's not normal. It's like pointing to minecrafts 150m sales and saying "See! I told you java is a perfectly fine tool for game development!". A single example is not a trend, and isn't worth much because by being singled out, it's impossible to tell WHY something does as well as it does. Bill gates dropped out of college and became a billionaire. I dropped out of college and work for barely over minimum wage. A single example is entirely worthless.

People are far more likely to buy what's right in front of them. Hence sweets being at the counter in grocery stores, milk being as far back as possible etc. These things are literally the basics of economics. Get people into your ecosystem and they will buy. When 99% of someones games are on steam they're far more likely to buy on steam to put it on the same shelf as their other games rather than having it put elsewhere for no reason, and steams terms for devs prevent them from lowering prices on other platforms outside of limited run sales, meaning there's often no reason to get games outside of steam, and steam being the default massively harms competition.

This is high school economics man

and steams terms for devs prevent them from lowering prices on other platforms outside of limited run sales
Source? The only person I've ever seen say anything like that was Tim Sweeney and what he specifically said was that Steam prohibits selling Steam keys for less than on steam outside of limited run sales...something which I already pointed out in a reply to you in this very thread.

I meant the game technically doesn't need a launcher not that Zenimax won't require Steam or whatever.
Technically...maybe not...but do we really want to go back to the days of GameSpy et al? You may not like it but Steamworks (which wouldn't exist without Steam) has made multiplayer much less of a hassle, both to implement on the dev's side, and on the player's side. "Maybe..." I hear you say "...I don't want to play multiplayer...", and I hear you. I'm not a fan of multiplayer either. Unfortunately piracy is a thing that exists and, while they might be woefully wrong, a lot of publishers think DRM is the solution. That means that until GOG manages to convince the industry to use them DRM and, by extension, launchers (which provide an easy means of tracking ownership) are here to stay.

Oh please. The piracy phenomenon has been immensely exaggerated and misinterpreted since the beginning.
Plus, steam games are immediately pirated too, so...
Don't misunderstand me. I'm under no illusions (unlike publishers), I'm merely pointing out that the industry has a whole has an irrational fear of piracy and a total lack of understanding of why it happens. Until they rid themselves of that DRM free will never become the norm...and considering just how long DRM has been a thing I doubt it's going to happen any time soon.

Reactions: Fuz

dirthead

Banned
Technically...maybe not...but do we really want to go back to the days of GameSpy et al? You may not like it but Steamworks (which wouldn't exist without Steam) has made multiplayer much less of a hassle, both to implement on the dev's side, and on the player's side. "Maybe..." I hear you say "...I don't want to play multiplayer...", and I hear you. I'm not a fan of multiplayer either. Unfortunately piracy is a thing that exists and, while they might be woefully wrong, a lot of publishers think DRM is the solution. That means that until GOG manages to convince the industry to use them DRM and, by extension, launchers (which provide an easy means of tracking ownership) are here to stay.

I'd actually prefer an open source/lightweight All Seeing Eye type server browser over the complete dog shit we have to live with today.

Reactions: Fuz

Kenpachii

The hate for actual arguments against what they offer (or against those claiming it's a good thing they don't offer this or that) is what's lol worthy. You have no arguments and handwave all criticism as hate. That's absurd. Also, Steam's history of evolution and current state is public, there's no excuse for coming out with a so called competitor while missing out on nearly 20 years of gaming evolution and absolutely no excuse for all the people trying to claim that a service that's a lot like Steam circa early 00s is a good and modern and forward-thinking thing in 2019 when Steam evolved to what it is today exactly because it couldn't have reigned supreme if it didn't match developer and user expectations in the manner it has evolved to do by our own and by publisher and by (indie too, which is what led to the current self publishing deal rather than the need for gabe newell to personally think you have enough fans they wish to buy from you to get you on his service, like it is with EGS as of now) developer feedback. If an Amazon competitor came out without a shopping cart, without user reviews, without everything that makes people use Amazon, they'd be laughed out of existence even if they paid some big products like Nintendo consoles to be exclusive (and no, Steam/Valve don't have Amazon's low points like overworked employees and low wages, which Epic actually does, lol) but Epic is getting super fans like that instead, that's what's lol worthy.

I have a ton of arguments and won't bother reposting them every single topic where people try to shit on other clients because they are indoctrinated by steam meme's.

U are this typical guy that has no experience with any other client and only used steam and started to believe in all those "steam is the savior of pc gaming" meme's where i was referring towards in my post before and you don't even realize it.

If you grow up with PC gaming and saw the rise of steam u realize nobody liked or even wanted steam because it needed to be active on the background which ate resources something most pc's if not all pc's couldn't bother with sacrificing through every bit of performance had to be allocated towards games to even make them run half decent at the time.

Then they gates all the populaire IP's behind there shop ram out half life 2 to push there engine forwards where they wanted to get even more loyalties with. make mods paid ip's because why not.

And yea lovely company.

Then we got the aggressive paid mod that killed mod community's off, luckily they cancelled it after destroying a huge chunk of the community first and then stilll split the community's up with there own version of mods that if people want to develop for will have to do extra work ot push it on other platforms which kills of other shops entirely like gog on mod support or any competitor on this solution. Which makes gog completely irrelevant as u will always get less support as this result.

Steam such good boys.

Absolute fantastic.

Then you got the absolute fantastic refund option. Gaben woke up one day and said lets give people refunds and lets people trade games !.

Oh wait.

He woke up one day and hired a school full lawyers to fight against it and introduced permanent renting to avoid having people to trade games with eachother, but skins however sure why not.

Then the loot box and skin bullshit that he heavily cashed in on it promoted and pushed out in his games that heavily parasite on children that now are getting banned everywhere. Hell he even allowed complete scam websites to sell there skins off with there system because why not.

But luckily we got a forum to communicate directly with devs through. A forum that costed them billions to create where linking pictures or getting basic features like spell check isn't something that could be developed because they probably have to up there cut to 60%.

Yet every dev gives a forum for free with there games to communicate with them through that can be linked with social media accounts. It's a simplistic shat out forum that gets auto generated through tools that dwarfs the steam forums ( lol ). And this has already happened forum side for games for decades.

Guess amazing innovation.

Then we got steam machines, i will not entertain you with that crap shoot. ( well spend money gaben )
Then we got controllers nobody uses
we got big picture that probably 20 lost console players care for out of the millions of gamers.

oh and the all mighty steam reviews

Want to know about a game? www.twitch.tv or www.youtube.com and type in the game name and boom there you go endless amounts of video reviews and people live streaming that can answer your questions in seconds.

3177948ece72a58e17613e612ad29205.png

Hey men i only played 450 hours and a whole work week in 2 weeks and the game is awful guys. But if you do changes to the game i want to see i will change my review guys!!!!!!!.

then lets get a combo going

Forum + review

On the forum:

If you don't do what i tell you i will make a negative review on your page !!!!!!

Gets banned

Goes to review:

Omg censor communist devs banned me because i didn't like the game OMG. negative ( 1000 hours played )

Do i need to keep going? or does your steam indoctrinated brain start to understand how the world works now?

There is a reason when gaben starts to talk at a dev conference he gets laughed out of the room because honestly it's pathetic what efforts he puts in with that amount of money.

Oh and ask him as a half life fan when the next game comes out, he will happely ignore you and not even react towards you remotely, because fuck decency towards his consumers right?.

But keep hugging your "steam has features that matter" tree. Nobody cares for.

I know people that pirate every single steam game for the sake of not wanting to deal with steam or gaben even remotely. It's either gog or gtfo. Simple because of the sole reason they don't supporting renting games.

Loads and loads of PC only gamers, play minecraft, they play world of warcraft ( or any of the 100's of mmo's out there ), they play webbrowser games, they play blizzard or EA games only. And never even touched steam to start with.

U guys are living in a bubble. maybe you should start hating on riot for having there own client with nothing in there shop. Oh wait, they couldn't care even remotely because that single client and game alreayd has 67 million of players with 27 million of daily players.

steam won't even hit the 16 million of daily players if they are lucky.

Maybe that's enough arguments for you.

Epic store is what it is, they do what valve did back in the day brute force buyers toward there platform and tries to create a enviroment that competes with steam in the future. They brought heavy rain and some console games already towards PC something gaben also didn't give 2 shits about.

Where red dead redemption? could steam not go towards them make them a offer to push it towards the PC platform? where are old console exclusives? can he not go to sony and make a deal to get older games of there's on PC platform? same with nintendo? do something with the money people paid them to do stuff with?

What about mmo's, don't you think taking 30% of there subs and every small micro transactions is going to be ridicilously expensive for those company's? Na, gimme that 30% on everything bra.

Maybe you should read into world and warcraft and why the whole company blowed up and there ip's are dying as result for the simple fact that all the billions people paid them for didn't result in anything else then expensive villa's for the ceo's.

But it's good to see he cares for PC gamers. he knows how to slam that hammer on that billions dollar worth metal plate i guess.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I have a ton of arguments and won't bother reposting them every single topic where people try to shit on other clients because they are indoctrinated by steam meme's.

U are this typical guy that has no experience with any other client and only used steam and started to believe in all those "steam is the savior of pc gaming" meme's where i was referring towards in my post before and you don't even realize it.

If you grow up with PC gaming and saw the rise of steam u realize nobody liked or even wanted steam because it needed to be active on the background which ate resources something most pc's if not all pc's couldn't bother with sacrificing through every bit of performance had to be allocated towards games to even make them run half decent at the time.

Then they gates all the populaire IP's behind there shop ram out half life 2 to push there engine forwards where they wanted to get even more loyalties with. make mods paid ip's because why not.

And yea lovely company.

Then we got the aggressive paid mod that killed mod community's off, luckily they cancelled it after destroying a huge chunk of the community first and then stilll split the community's up with there own version of mods that if people want to develop for will have to do extra work ot push it on other platforms which kills of other shops entirely like gog on mod support or any competitor on this solution. Which makes gog completely irrelevant as u will always get less support as this result.

Steam such good boys.

Absolute fantastic.

Then you got the absolute fantastic refund option. Gaben woke up one day and said lets give people refunds and lets people trade games !.

Oh wait.

He woke up one day and hired a school full lawyers to fight against it and introduced permanent renting to avoid having people to trade games with eachother, but skins however sure why not.

Then the loot box and skin bullshit that he heavily cashed in on it promoted and pushed out in his games that heavily parasite on children that now are getting banned everywhere. Hell he even allowed complete scam websites to sell there skins off with there system because why not.

But luckily we got a forum to communicate directly with devs through. A forum that costed them billions to create where linking pictures or getting basic features like spell check isn't something that could be developed because they probably have to up there cut to 60%.

Yet every dev gives a forum for free with there games to communicate with them through that can be linked with social media accounts. It's a simplistic shat out forum that gets auto generated through tools that dwarfs the steam forums ( lol ). And this has already happened forum side for games for decades.

Guess amazing innovation.

Then we got steam machines, i will not entertain you with that crap shoot. ( well spend money gaben )
Then we got controllers nobody uses
we got big picture that probably 20 lost console players care for out of the millions of gamers.

oh and the all mighty steam reviews

Want to know about a game? www.twitch.tv or www.youtube.com and type in the game name and boom there you go endless amounts of video reviews and people live streaming that can answer your questions in seconds.

3177948ece72a58e17613e612ad29205.png

Hey men i only played 450 hours and a whole work week in 2 weeks and the game is awful guys. But if you do changes to the game i want to see i will change my review guys!!!!!!!.

then lets get a combo going

Forum + review

On the forum:

If you don't do what i tell you i will make a negative review on your page !!!!!!

Gets banned

Goes to review:

Omg censor communist devs banned me because i didn't like the game OMG. negative ( 1000 hours played )

Do i need to keep going? or does your steam indoctrinated brain start to understand how the world works now?

There is a reason when gaben starts to talk at a dev conference he gets laughed out of the room because honestly it's pathetic what efforts he puts in with that amount of money.

Oh and ask him as a half life fan when the next game comes out, he will happely ignore you and not even react towards you remotely, because fuck decency towards his consumers right?.

But keep hugging your "steam has features that matter" tree. Nobody cares for.

I know people that pirate every single steam game for the sake of not wanting to deal with steam or gaben even remotely. It's either gog or gtfo. Simple because of the sole reason they don't supporting renting games.

Loads and loads of PC only gamers, play minecraft, they play world of warcraft ( or any of the 100's of mmo's out there ), they play webbrowser games, they play blizzard or EA games only. And never even touched steam to start with.

U guys are living in a bubble. maybe you should start hating on riot for having there own client with nothing in there shop. Oh wait, they couldn't care even remotely because that single client and game alreayd has 67 million of players with 27 million of daily players.

steam won't even hit the 16 million of daily players if they are lucky.

Epic store is what it is, they do what valve did back in the day brute force buyers toward there platform and tries to create a enviroment that competes with steam in the future. They brought heavy rain and some console games already towards PC something gaben also didn't give 2 shits about.

Where red dead redemption? could steam not go towards them make them a offer to push it towards the PC platform? where are old console exclusives? can he not go to sony and make a deal to get older games of there's on PC platform? same with nintendo? do something with the money people paid them to do stuff with?

What about mmo's, don't you think taking 30% of there subs and every small micro transactions is going to be ridicilously expensive for those company's? Na, gimme that 30% on everything bra.

Maybe you should read into world and warcraft and why the whole company blowed up and there ip's are dying as result for the simple fact that all the billions people paid them for didn't result in anything else then expensive villa's for the ceo's.

But it's good to see he cares for PC gamers. he knows how to slam that hammer on that billions dollar worth metal plate i guess.

maxresdefault.jpg
Could you possibly be any more dismissive, disingenuous and vitriolic? You want to dismiss those of us who take issue with Epic as people who have "no experience with any other client and only used steam"...when that couldn't be farther from the truth. On my taskbar right now I have Steam (duh), Uplay and Battle.net. I also have a handful of games on GOG. The only reason I don't have more is because they're not available. In fact I'd buy GOG over Steam any day...infact...I will always buy Uplay games on Uplay and not Steam because I dislike stacking DRM. I don't have any issue with distribution platforms that aren't Steam, in many cases I prefer them, however I do have an issue with Epic because of their business practices. The rest of your drivel doesn't even matter.
Oh...and nice Redditspacing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lmao, how novel, pointing to badly written user reviews to imply the whole concept is bad (never mind that game likely has an average score roughly matching its average gamer appeal, whether positive or negative, regardless of reviews like the one pictured, which in turn means that, indeed, the average gamer, which I or you may not be, or be, will find his/her taste more often than not aligns with that and the game has the implied subjective value to him/her, without ever saying that game is objectively of such worth). As if anyone has ever said to take every single random joe at face value (like, joe 1 will contradict joe 2 anyway, how do you take both at face value then) rather than use their own critical thinking in conjunction with all such available tools, (including the ones you use and indeed, the fact they show play time is another great tool, funny how you use Steam tools to claim Steam tools are bad, ha). Tim, is that you? Maybe I can point to shitty games to imply gaming in general is shit, that would be nice, then we could close the gaming side forum and be done with the drama? Or maybe nuke all forums out of existence based on posts like yours. Seems legit, public discussion among random joes, who needs that, ever, only fanboys that's who! And what about books? I can find lots of shitty books from shitty authors with shitty views! We should burn all the books! The sky is the limit with this innovative way of thinking, I feel so damn enlightened, this must mean that the human race is finally evolving to godhood! Thank you based Kenpachii! And yeah, cos streamers, youtubers or whatever you use never get a game wrong, they're all objective human beings with the best ever understanding of all gameplay they master in minutes and display at its best and also impeccable taste, joe streaming differs greatly to joe writing! The same goes for the press and influencers of course (and if you're going to say that you filter through it and find good streams, then duh, you filter through reviews and find those that seem informative, how hard is that)! Start a petition for Amazon to drop user review support also, they're basically where "review bombing" saw its advent after all (on video games too), that wasn't a Steam exclusive deal you know (Steam uses them because they're a standard across industries, nobody claimed they pioneered them - though they've pioneered the transparency and tools they keep working on to make them more useful regardless of one's opinion on the matter). And then you can watch youtube reviews of the products. Or you can just ignore features you don't like and understand that there are tons of people who like them, use them, and find them useful and valuable, rather than handwave it all as fanboy bullshit, lol (-Hey Dude1 , Nintendo sucks ass am I right! -Huh, nah Dude2, I like Mario, Zelda, funded 3rd party stuff, Switch and all and this or that, they're cool, I'm glad they sell well, what are you on about? -Omg Dude1, you're such a fanboy, I can't argue with you, only fanboys would like all that stuff, I can't believe you, grow out of your fanboyism already!). Nice rant about Gabe "caring" as some kind of counter-argument to my posts that you reply to yet ignore all the major points of (as I said Steam services aren't just for users - which in turn means for developers as users are their customers - but also for developers with tons of shit they can add to their games for free, free as in they're features they can hook to rather than develop, and free as in they're online based and they don't need to maintain their own servers, all kinds of stuff) cos I totally just spoke of the guy and his feelings and how I love him and he loves me back there, haha, no, you don't seem to have a weirdly personal beef with, maybe some jealousy for him, no (again, Tim, is that you?). We all know Epic's history with PC gaming as well, it really isn't going to benefit your points if we start digging up things like that, but their new shit is more than enough anyway (and no "GabeN" didn't care to pay for console games to become exclusive to Steam, only cultivated an environment that has meant PC ports are far more likely these days than ever before and of far better quality more often than not, rather than an afterthought or non existent as in the past, how awful). Also nobody said to not criticize Steam, we all do it, where it's warranted, but we aren't gonna punish Steam by going to a far worse service just because they bought out a tiny minority of games or devs or publishers or media mouthpieces. That would only make Steam think it needs to be worse, drop most its features to reduce costs without caring what games it affects and just pay for an exclusive or two for PR.

Despite all your off topic weirdly and personally obsessive rant you conceded to a big point (in that post, not everything I've said, I've gone in more detail about what has elevated Steam beyond competitors) in that EGS is like Steam "back in the day" (except Steam was pioneering, it was natural to get things wrong, what's important is they took gamer and developer feedback rather than bribe for exclusives while EGS and supporters pretend it's forward-thinking for being stuck in the past, nevermind we all helped improve Steam into what it is today, light years past EGS and Tim's intentions).

Last edited:

What arguments? I looked but there are none to be found in your angry rant.

I certainly find it hard to take anybody seriously who can't be arsed to spell out "you" and formulate a coherent sentence, let alone ending them with multiple exclamation marks.
If anything, calling everybody "indoctrinated steam sheeples" certainly doesn't help to bring your point across.

I'd take it from a generally well informed poster, but considering your recent blunder, where you tried to smear somebody while proposing them to be "nuked from the planet" based on no evidence at all, you should maybe tone it down a notch or two.

Helios

Lmao, how novel, pointing to badly written user reviews to imply the whole concept is bad (never mind that game likely has an average score roughly matching its average gamer appeal, whether positive or negative, regardless of reviews like the one pictured, which in turn means that, indeed, the average gamer, which I or you may not be, or be, will find his/her taste more often than not aligns with that and the game has the implied subjective value to him/her, without ever saying that game is objectively of such worth). As if anyone has ever said to take every single random joe at face value (like, joe 1 will contradict joe 2 anyway, how do you take both at face value then) rather than use their own critical thinking in conjunction with all such available tools, (including the ones you use and indeed, the fact they show play time is another great tool, funny how you use Steam tools to claim Steam tools are bad, ha). Tim, is that you? Maybe I can point to shitty games to imply gaming in general is shit, that would be nice, then we could close the gaming side forum and be done with the drama? Or maybe nuke all forums out of existence based on posts like yours. Seems legit, public discussion among random joes, who needs that, ever, only fanboys that's who! And yeah, cos streamers, youtubers or whatever you use never get a game wrong, they're all objective human beings with the best ever understanding of all gameplay they master in minutes and display at its best and also impeccable taste, joe streaming differs greatly to joe writing! The same goes for the press and influencers of course (and if you're going to say that you filter through it and find good streams, then duh, you filter through reviews and find those that seem informative, how hard is that)! Start a petition for Amazon to drop user review support also, they're basically where "review bombing" saw its advent after all (on video games too), that wasn't a Steam exclusive deal you know (Steam uses them because they're a standard across industries, nobody claimed they pioneered them - though they've pioneered the transparency and tools they keep working on to make them more useful regardless of one's opinion on the matter). And then you can watch youtube reviews of the products. Or you can just ignore features you don't like and understand that there are tons of people who like them, use them, and find them useful and valuable, rather than handwave it all as fanboy bullshit, lol (-Hey Dude1 , Nintendo sucks ass am I right! -Huh, nah Dude2, I like Mario, Zelda, funded 3rd party stuff, Switch and all and this or that, they're cool, I'm glad they sell well, what are you on about? -Omg Dude1, you're such a fanboy, I can't argue with you, only fanboys would like all that stuff, I can't believe you, grow out of your fanboyism already!). Nice rant about Gabe "caring" as some kind of counter-argument to my posts that you reply to yet ignore all the major points of (as I said Steam services aren't just for users - which in turn means for developers as users are their customers - but also for developers with tons of shit they can add to their games for free, free as in they're features they can hook to rather than develop, and free as in they're online based and they don't need to maintain their own servers, all kinds of stuff) cos I totally just spoke of the guy and his feelings and how I love him and he loves me back there, haha, no, you don't seem to have a weirdly personal beef with, maybe some jealousy for him, no (again, Tim, is that you?). We all know Epic's history with PC gaming as well, it really isn't going to benefit your points if we start digging up things like that, but their new shit is more than enough anyway (and no "GabeN" didn't care to pay for console games to become exclusive to Steam, only cultivated an environment that has meant PC ports are far more likely these days than ever before and of far better quality more often than not, rather than an afterthought or non existent as in the past, how awful). Also nobody said to not criticize Steam, we all do it, where it's warranted, but we aren't gonna punish Steam by going to a far worse service just because they bought out a tiny minority of games or devs or publishers or media mouthpieces. That would only make Steam think it needs to be worse, drop most its features to reduce costs without caring what games it affects and just pay for an exclusive or two for PR.

And despite all that random off topic weirdly and personally obsessive ranting you even conceded to my main point of that particular post (not everything I've said here, no, I've gone in far more detail about what has elevated Steam beyond competitors) in that indeed EGS is like "Steam back in the day" (except Steam back in the day was pioneering and evolved from that to get with the times and our needs, while EGS and supporters pretend it's forward-thinking for being much like Steam in the 00s, nevermind all the criticisms that got it to improve from that state into what it is today, light years past EGS).
Don't bother. He's just going to bail on responding to you like he has done before in the past.

Sorcerer

This fucking guy making it seems as though Epic Store exists only to combat evil Steam. Tim's not it in to make a buck? Is he so noble that once he "corrects the Steam store" he will shut down his store? I guarantee that if they topple Steam, that split be renegotiated in Epic's favor.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Lmao, how novel, pointing to badly written user reviews to imply the whole concept is bad (never mind that game likely has an average score roughly matching its average gamer appeal, whether positive or negative, regardless of reviews like the one pictured, which in turn means that, indeed, the average gamer, which I or you may not be, or be, will find his/her taste more often than not aligns with that and the game has the implied subjective value to him/her, without ever saying that game is objectively of such worth). As if anyone has ever said to take every single random joe at face value (like, joe 1 will contradict joe 2 anyway, how do you take both at face value then) rather than use their own critical thinking in conjunction with all such available tools, (including the ones you use and indeed, the fact they show play time is another great tool, funny how you use Steam tools to claim Steam tools are bad, ha). Tim, is that you? Maybe I can point to shitty games to imply gaming in general is shit, that would be nice, then we could close the gaming side forum and be done with the drama? Or maybe nuke all forums out of existence based on posts like yours. Seems legit, public discussion among random joes, who needs that, ever, only fanboys that's who! And yeah, cos streamers, youtubers or whatever you use never get a game wrong, they're all objective human beings with the best ever understanding of all gameplay they master in minutes and display at its best and also impeccable taste, joe streaming differs greatly to joe writing! And what about books? I can find lots of shitty books! We should burn all the books! The sky is the limit with this innovative way of thinking, I feel so damn enlightened, this must mean that the human race is finally evolving to godhood! Thank you based Kenpachii! The same goes for the press and influencers of course (and if you're going to say that you filter through it and find good streams, then duh, you filter through reviews and find those that seem informative, how hard is that)! Start a petition for Amazon to drop user review support also, they're basically where "review bombing" saw its advent after all (on video games too), that wasn't a Steam exclusive deal you know (Steam uses them because they're a standard across industries, nobody claimed they pioneered them - though they've pioneered the transparency and tools they keep working on to make them more useful regardless of one's opinion on the matter). And then you can watch youtube reviews of the products. Or you can just ignore features you don't like and understand that there are tons of people who like them, use them, and find them useful and valuable, rather than handwave it all as fanboy bullshit, lol (-Hey Dude1 , Nintendo sucks ass am I right! -Huh, nah Dude2, I like Mario, Zelda, funded 3rd party stuff, Switch and all and this or that, they're cool, I'm glad they sell well, what are you on about? -Omg Dude1, you're such a fanboy, I can't argue with you, only fanboys would like all that stuff, I can't believe you, grow out of your fanboyism already!). Nice rant about Gabe "caring" as some kind of counter-argument to my posts that you reply to yet ignore all the major points of (as I said Steam services aren't just for users - which in turn means for developers as users are their customers - but also for developers with tons of shit they can add to their games for free, free as in they're features they can hook to rather than develop, and free as in they're online based and they don't need to maintain their own servers, all kinds of stuff) cos I totally just spoke of the guy and his feelings and how I love him and he loves me back there, haha, no, you don't seem to have a weirdly personal beef with, maybe some jealousy for him, no (again, Tim, is that you?). We all know Epic's history with PC gaming as well, it really isn't going to benefit your points if we start digging up things like that, but their new shit is more than enough anyway (and no "GabeN" didn't care to pay for console games to become exclusive to Steam, only cultivated an environment that has meant PC ports are far more likely these days than ever before and of far better quality more often than not, rather than an afterthought or non existent as in the past, how awful). Also nobody said to not criticize Steam, we all do it, where it's warranted, but we aren't gonna punish Steam by going to a far worse service just because they bought out a tiny minority of games or devs or publishers or media mouthpieces. That would only make Steam think it needs to be worse, drop most its features to reduce costs without caring what games it affects and just pay for an exclusive or two for PR.

Despite all your off topic weirdly and personally obsessive rant you conceded to a big point (in that post, not everything I've said, I've gone in more detail about what has elevated Steam beyond competitors) in that EGS is like Steam "back in the day" (except Steam was pioneering, it was natural to get things wrong, what's important is they took gamer and developer feedback rather than bribe for exclusives while EGS and supporters pretend it's forward-thinking for being stuck in the past, nevermind we all helped improve Steam into what it is today, light years past EGS and Tim's intentions).

Those are not worth 20 dollars per 60 dollar game. Keep up the mental gymnastics why gabe should make more money than anyone else in PC gaming. With his outrageous cut he makes more than content makers and that is wrong period. Please keep up that defense so you only have 1 launcher.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Those are not worth 20 dollars per 60 dollar game. Keep up the mental gymnastics why gabe should make more money than anyone else in PC gaming. With his outrageous cut he makes more than content makers and that is wrong period. Please keep up that defense so you only have 1 launcher.
30% of 60 is 18. Also you don't know what it's worth. If it's so cheap why has everyone been using it and helping Steam indirectly rather than make their own backend and servers and leave them in the dust long before Epic thought to make a store? Instead other companies that are relatively more unaffected by Steam's shenanigans have opted to start offering similar services as seen in the various consoles, where users actually have to pay subscriptions for a lot of it (and developers don't get any better cuts over that either). Also it's not an universal 30% since, once again, Steam keys sold anywhere but Steam, physical or digital, is 0% for Steam yet with the same game/user service and support (and there are the 25% - only reachable with like 500k sales @ $30, not $60 - and 20% tiers on top) so by default it's always less than those values for every single game. And once again, besides game services and user services they also have the payment method services where they eat the cost of printed Steam money cards and other potentially very expensive locally preferred payment methods (like cash services where a person goes out to take cash for a freaking digital purchase before approving it so it goes through) that in turn help the whole industry grow in emerging markets like India and elsewhere without additional cost to the user or the developer based on the chosen payment method. No, they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, duh, but it works for me. Also, I already said Steam isn't above criticism, I wish they'd take less, sure, this won't make me use what I find a bad service just for that reason. In fact, if the fee is the reason for devs to use EGS, then just offer the games on EGS as well as on Steam with a higher price to make the same money per copy for the dev then see if users migrate to EGS just over the price as the extra isn't worth Steam's extras, anything else is just talking the talk but not walking the walk. But oh, I forget, EGS has a Tim approved curation process so the vast majority of games can't even get on it. Yeah, so indie friendly that they mouth off bs like how Steam only has shovelware, lumping tons of wonderful games as that. Also, seems like it was in fact worth it, until Tim came along to tell you it's not (yet not offering it in order to be able to take less and still call that unsustainable, lol, seems legit). Don't be so jelly Gabe is a millionaire. Tim is too and probably has enough people around him thinking his wage is way over what it should be. It's okay. Also I don't care about Gabe any more than I do about Tim, you're the one who cares as it seems. Also I have over 300 games on gog and elsewhere as well as out-of-launcher titles I bought directly from developers (although in every case some CEO gets a big cut, whether from the store or the payment processing company or whatever). You're barking up the wrong tree with that misdirecting shit. We're all in the same flawed capitalist world trying to make it through, nobody claimed Steam was socialist heaven to bring such arguments that apply equally to every gaming company out there (even former indies that grew thanks to a hit, everyone does the same shit once they get the money and power).

Last edited:
Top Bottom