• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Game Launcher is the devil

GymWolf

Meh, i had more time with steam being down or super slow than problems with epic store tbh.

They also refund your money immediately unlike steam.

Stuart360

If you buy Ubi games on the Epic Store they get linked to your Uplay account so you don't even need the Epic Client anymore.
Yep thats true, didnt need Epic launcher for GR Breakpoint, just Uplay. Sadly i just downloaded SW Battlefront 2 today, and that does ned Epic as well.

On a side not, i counted my Epic games the other day, 126 games and only bought 1 of them lol. Fuck you Epic.

Chupanibre

Yep thats true, didnt need Epic launcher for GR Breakpoint, just Uplay. Sadly i just downloaded SW Battlefront 2 today, and that does ned Epic as well.

On a side not, i counted my Epic games the other day, 126 games and only bought 1 of them lol. Fuck you Epic.
That one game you bought is all they needed

Kuranghi

Sometimes when click on the systray icon to go back to it (because it closes everytime you open a game? wtf...) it just loads a blank web interface and I have to close and reopen it and I get "tooltips" that pop up when I rest on buttons in the UI that is underlying code in the web interface that I shouldn't be seeing.

The problem you are having is probably to do with uPlay I think though, its the same with Origin, I was trying to play BF2 the other day and it took like 3 minutes to launch it. There is a lack of proper communication between the launchers but I don't know if any one is more to blame.

Guilty_AI

EPIC-GAMES-CEO-TIM-SWEENEY-2060x1130.png

Fbh

Might be Uplay.

Got South Park Fractured but Whole on Epic and that launched through Uplay which was 10 times worse than Epic. Slow, had random issues with cloud saves and would ask for my username + pass world + 2 step verification like every other day because for some reason it can't automatically log me in unlike Steam/Epic/Gog, etc

Last edited:

Coconutt

I bought Disco Elysium thinking I'd be able to play using controller, apparently it's only a Steam thing, now I have a game I can't play because there is no controller support through EGS.

pretty sure Ubisoft games bought from Epic can be launched directly from the exe or Uplay, ACV is AssCreed right?

if that fails then look up the “target” in the shortcut (it’ll be some string like :com:epic:4655655 and use that as the target from a Steam shortcut instead

I bought Disco Elysium thinking I'd be able to play using controller, apparently it's only a Steam thing, now I have a game I can't play because there is no controller support through EGS.

I got you here, this works for me launching from Big Picture but it was some effort

do the “non-Steam” setup, you can test this by running antimicro and your controller will control mouse cursor movement

then what you need to do is create a batch file so that when launching Disco Elysium you also launch antimicro

Code:
@echo off

start "Disco Elysium" "com.epicgameslauncher://PASTE THE TARGET HERE"

cd "F:\antimicro OR WHEREVER ANTIMICRO LIVES ON YOUR PC"

start antimicro.exe

save this batch file somewhere

then finally go to Steam and use the location of the .bat batch file as the Target for your Steam shortcut

PC GAMING lol amirite, but it works....controller based Epic Disco Elysium from my comfy couch

there might be easier ways now, this was about a year ago, but if you want to go through with it send a PM if you get stuck I’ll try to help you out

also the above will work for any other stubborn non-controller non-Steam games as long as antimicro profiles exist for the games

Last edited:

lukilladog

For BF2 you can use EA desktop launcher or the old Origin build that is floating around (just rename OriginClientService, OriginThinSetupInternal, OriginER, and OriginWebHelperService exes so it wont force you to update). All of these launchers are like spam malware, the fewer the better.

Arun1910

An easier way is at the bottom left of Steam, click "Add non steam game" (or something like that), find the EXE.

Enter Big Picture Mode, check the controller configs. Should all work automatically, launch game through Steam.

That's all there is to it. I just did this with Control that I bought through the Epic Games Store, but I wanted a lazy day and chose to do the above method to hook up a Controller and play in Bed.

Last edited:
An easier way is at the bottom left of Steam, click "Add non steam game" (or something like that), find the EXE.

Enter Big Picture Mode, check the controller configs. Should all work automatically, launch game through Steam.

That's all there is to it. I just did this with Control that I bought through the Epic Games Store, but I wanted a lazy day and chose to do the above method to hook up a Controller and play in Bed.

Control doesn’t have controller support on EGS?

Coconutt

I got you here, this works for me launching from Big Picture but it was some effort

do the “non-Steam” setup, you can test this by running antimicro and your controller will control mouse cursor movement

then what you need to do is create a batch file so that when launching Disco Elysium you also launch antimicro

Code:
@echo off

start "Disco Elysium" "com.epicgameslauncher://PASTE THE TARGET HERE"

cd "F:\antimicro OR WHEREVER ANTIMICRO LIVES ON YOUR PC"

start antimicro.exe

save this batch file somewhere

then finally go to Steam and use the location of the .bat batch file as the Target for your Steam shortcut

PC GAMING lol amirite, but it works....controller based Epic Disco Elysium from my comfy couch

there might be easier ways now, this was about a year ago, but if you want to go through with it send a PM if you get stuck I’ll try to help you out

also the above will work for any other stubborn non-controller non-Steam games as long as antimicro profiles exist for the games

Yo thanks for the input, will try the easier method when I get home later, purchase not regretted now.

Arun1910

Control doesn’t have controller support on EGS?
I don't think so for PS5 controllers... could be wrong though.

Either way, for me to navigate my games using a Controller in Steam from bed was a plus. Can't use a controller for Epic Game Library navigation

Buying game on EGS or Microsoft Store in 2021 and complaing about shop quality is like buying Fifa/NBA and complaining about microtransactions :D

Not that anyone ever should buy more than 1 item from the Epic Game store. My favorite feature is the inability to buy more than 1 item at a time. It's a streaming stinking pos.

If you add an item to cart you have to buy it, you can't place additional items in the cart and checkout.You buy them individually, how the fuck is that still a thing in 2021? The lingering smell remains even if you uninstall it.
Imagine buying an item at a store and having to checkout that single item and then go back and repeat that over and over for each item. I'm Not brand loyal to any digital distributors but that store is the jewel of stinking steaming trash.
/rant

mxbison

I haven't had any issues with it, also haven't used it that much though.

Also every launcher is a software masterpiece compared to the Windows Store / Xbox PC App.

That doesn't sound like a storefront bug, but who am I to know. I only use it to get the free games, which I don't play anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom