• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Game Store is positioning itself as a juggernaut isn't it?

Kacho

Think about it
  • UE5 was announced today and when that engine becomes standard we can probably expect a whole helluva lot more exclusives on their store.
  • They also seem INCREDIBLY buddy buddy with Sony so there's likely some sort of marketing deal in place. I expect some Sony games that hit PC to go exclusive to the EGS.
  • Ubisoft has been quiet towards the end of the gen, but that's because their teams are gearing up for next gen. All future Ubi titles are exclusive to the EGS.
  • Clutch exclusives continue to pile up like SnowRunner, MechWarrior 5, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2, Maneater, Saints Row The Third remastered, etc.
  • They're even sniping smaller games like Huntdown
How soon until PC gamers acknowledge the EGS as a legitimate contender here? All the bitching and moaning aside, I could see Epic wiping the floor with Steam if they don't step their game up.

TheMan

They've been out for blood pretty much since the beginning I think, but yeah they are continuing to put up a good fight vs. Steam. They have their work cut out for them (they'll never ever match that back catalog) but I think things are looking good for them.

Kacho

I don't know why people are carrying on with Sony/MS going Epic exclusive? Horizon Zero Dawn is already coming to Steam and Microsoft have said every title of theirs from Halo MCC/Gears 5 onwards is Steam also.
I think it’s quite possible. For all we know, the decision to release Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn on Steam happened before any deals were put in place. Where there’s smoke there’s fire and the Epic + Sony marketing deal is a lot of smoke. We’ll see...

GamesAreFun

Banned
Why would developers using UE5 have any corrolation with exclusives on their store? Developers only care about Steam, unless Epic pay them vast amounts of money, which won't last as Fortnite starts dipping in popularity.

No. Some Sony exclusives went to EGS but not all. In simpler terms Sony is with EGS and MS is with Steam if you wanna turn it into some stupid war but fact is, EGS is still absolute garbage no matter how many "exclusives" they get.

T-Cake

If they can bring some Sony games to PC that would be the first good thing about their store.

Well, yeah, I'd be up for Epic paying Sony to get more of their games to PC. But I'd still try to hold out and see if they came to Steam after 12 months., 😂

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think it’s quite possible. For all we know, the decision to release Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn on Steam happened before any deals were put in place. Where there’s smoke there’s fire and the Epic + Sony marketing deal is a lot of smoke. We’ll see...

What is the smoke though? That UE5 runs on PS5? Epic's JOB is to be buddy-buddy with the platform holders, because they want games written with their engine on the platform. They don't want to "favor" one platform or the other.

Kacho

Why would developers using UE5 have any corrolation with exclusives on their store? Developers only care about Steam, unless Epic pay them vast amounts of money, which won't last as Fortnite starts dipping in popularity.
Considering how aggressive Epic has been in acquiring exclusives over the past couple years, you don't think they would present enticing offers to developers using their engine to release on their store exclusively?

GHG

Lmao you don't game on PC at all do you?

5 minutes with the undercooked store and launcher will tell you all you need to know.

Most people launch their EGS games through steam. There are significant reasons why this happens.

If you want to see a company that is actually making strides forward and focused on improving the overall quality of your gaming experience on the platform then look at what is going on with GOG Galaxy 2.0.

What marketing deal with Sony? There's no PS5 or Sony logo in the UE5 demo, there's no UE5 video on the Playstation Youtube channel.
How are they INCREDIBLY buddy buddy with Sony when only one Sony studio uses Unreal engine?

Kacho

Lmao you don't game on PC at all do you?

5 minutes with the undercooked store and launcher will tell you all you need to know.

Most people launch their EGS games through steam. There are significant reasons why this happens.

If you want to see a company that is actually making strides forward and focused on improving the overall quality of your gaming experience on the platform then look at what is going on with GOG Galaxy 2.0.
Posting on my monster rig now

Kacho

What is the smoke though? That UE5 runs on PS5? Epic's JOB is to be buddy-buddy with the platform holders, because they want games written with their engine on the platform. They don't want to "favor" one platform or the other.
You think Sweeney is out there talking up the PS5 for fun? They clearly have a marketing deal in place and we don't have the full picture yet. I expect a big shakeup in the launcher war very soon.

johntown

Banned
How soon until PC gamers acknowledge the EGS as a legitimate contender here?
not-gonna-happen

Fuz

Banned
I do not want to install EGS still. PC is not about exclusivity and they just separated pc users and stores so fuck them.
But it was ok when it was steam.

I don't like EGS like pretty much everyone else here, but the double standard is ridiculous.

Last edited:

GHG

Posting on my monster rig now

I have an Xbox, I don't game on it.

It's not about what you have, it's whether you use it or not. The EGS experience is trash compared to pretty much everything else out there at the moment. Until they improve the user experience they will continue to be ridiculed and dismissed.

Companies who think that throwing money at something without looking at the other pieces of the puzzle will result in success don't tend to last long. When they inevitably stop throwing money at it (whether that's through choice or a change in financial circumstances) what will they be left with? What will we be left with?

Right now it's an underbaked platform that doesn't even have basics like a shopping cart and achievements. It's trash.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That Fortnite money has really empowered them, hasn't it? It's whatever for me though. I've literally only bought one game from them since they've existed. I haven't played any of the free ones they've given out.

dorkimoe

No. they have been making unreal engine forever, the games can still appear elsewhere i would think. Unless they are making Unreal engine games be exclusive to the epic store...

Epic has been a juggernaut for a long time, but they are moving to horizontal market integration. They and Amazon have a leg up on everyone else and should give the mainstays in the industry long pause about their market strategy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You think Sweeney is out there talking up the PS5 for fun? They clearly have a marketing deal in place and we don't have the full picture yet. I expect a big shakeup in the launcher war very soon.

No, I think he's talking about PS5 because he wants to sell his engine. They want to show it runs well on console so people will use it to make console games.

The only reason devs continue to do EGS exclusivity is because Epic pays them. The only reason gamers sign up for EGS is because Epic gives them free games. They're like the loser kid that pays people to be their friend. What does Sony get out of EGS?

TheUsual

Gold Member
I definitely don't prefer the EGS but I did get Journey to the Savage Planet for $20 with that coupon on the holiday sale along with Control for $30. So not complaining too much.

Heat.wav

Neo Member
I wish Epic Game store had the community aspect that Steam has (profile pages, hell even profile pictures, etc.) I don't think they will be on the level of a Steam until they incorporate community on their platform.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Think about it
  • UE5 was announced today and when that engine becomes standard we can probably expect a whole helluva lot more exclusives on their store.
  • They also seem INCREDIBLY buddy buddy with Sony so there's likely some sort of marketing deal in place. I expect some Sony games that hit PC to go exclusive to the EGS.
  • Ubisoft has been quiet towards the end of the gen, but that's because their teams are gearing up for next gen. All future Ubi titles are exclusive to the EGS.
  • Clutch exclusives continue to pile up like SnowRunner, MechWarrior 5, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2, Maneater, Saints Row The Third remastered, etc.
How soon until PC gamers acknowledge the EGS as a legitimate contender here? All the bitching and moaning aside, I could see Epic wiping the floor with Steam if they don't step their game up.

I'm going to acknowledge EGS when their store aren't trash.

Drewpee

Banned
Think about it

Smart move embracing Sony, now they can do whatever they want and it will be praised.

Kacho

I have an Xbox, I don't game on it.

It's not about what you have, it's whether you use it or not. The EGS experience is trash compared to pretty much everything else out there at the moment. Until they improve the user experience they will continue to be ridiculed and dismissed.

Companies who think that throwing money at something without looking at the other pieces of the puzzle will result in success don't tend to last long. When they inevitably stop throwing money at it (whether that's through choice or a change in financial circumstances) what will they be left with? What will we be left with?

Right now it's an underbaked platform that doesn't even have basics like a shopping cart and achievements. It's trash.
EGS is lacking in features sure, but it's always worked fine for me. I think we're well past the point of daydreaming about an EGS collapse. They have Fortnite and Tencent money behind them.

Pickings are slim atm because we're at the tail end of the generation, but if you don't think that EGS has lined up some massive next gen games I don't know what to say. Like it or not they're here to stay and I'm arguing that next gen they'll be even harder to ignore.

Tetraeon

Hate EGS all you like, I agree it's certainly no Steam, but I'll still just keep building my library of 60+ games (some AAA) free of charge. Some highlights of the giveaways as of yet are:
  • World War Z
  • Subnautica
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Just Cause 4
  • Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair
  • Axiom Verge
  • Hob
  • Thimbleweed Park
  • Superhot
You can dislike the service but still get the games, folks. Free is free.

Top Bottom