• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Game Store is positioning itself as a juggernaut isn't it?

MMaRsu

Banned
Note that in your list of positives, it is all about devs/publishers. And in the negatives, it is all about customers/gamers. What service succeeds by sucking up to content producers and delivering a shit heap to customers?

By giving out free games they are gaining a foothold because gamers dont have any standards and will go YEEEY FREEE I WANNA I WANNA just like most consumers would in other markets by the way. Its a proven tactic

Steam has years on Epic game store, the same for Xbox Live and PSN, PC gaming is up on the rise what do gamers want the Epic Game store to do? Fully guarantee you free games?
That's not how it works. You don't enter a market and then demand that people compare your product not to what your competitors are currently offering, but to what they were offering 15 years ago.

I mean... Jesus. Epic didn't even have to come up with any of this shit on their own. All they had to do was copy the features Steam has had for over a decade, but apparently they can't even do that. The store still doesn't have a shopping cart. Online stores had those in the mid 90s! At this point it's obvious that they have zero interest in achieving feature parity, and people are definitely right in judging them for that.

yurqqa

Good for EGS.

I don't have any online friends, I don't care about online. Personally I wish GOG or other DRM-free platform to take over the market, but it won't happen.

So I think 40% for EGS, 40% for Steam and 20% for GOG would be a good balance for PC platform.

P.S. I have a feeling that won't win any online friends with this post.

Starfield

Think about it
  • UE5 was announced today and when that engine becomes standard we can probably expect a whole helluva lot more exclusives on their store.
  • They also seem INCREDIBLY buddy buddy with Sony so there's likely some sort of marketing deal in place. I expect some Sony games that hit PC to go exclusive to the EGS.
  • Ubisoft has been quiet towards the end of the gen, but that's because their teams are gearing up for next gen. All future Ubi titles are exclusive to the EGS.
  • Clutch exclusives continue to pile up like SnowRunner, MechWarrior 5, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2, Maneater, Saints Row The Third remastered, etc.
  • They're even sniping smaller games like Huntdown
How soon until PC gamers acknowledge the EGS as a legitimate contender here? All the bitching and moaning aside, I could see Epic wiping the floor with Steam if they don't step their game up.
I can tell you how long...

NEVER

Kacho

Free GTAV, free $10 coupon and a massive sale at the moment. Store can’t keep up with the traffic. Lol

Ten_Fold

EGS is cool, you will find less random games an more higher quality games. Now my problems with them is that, when I installed unreal engine they tried to force me to download Fortnite, I don’t see any company going exclusively to the EGS unless paid a good amount of money to cover that potential income from steam. They won’t come close to competing with steam due to how easy steam is to buy or even sell your own game.

MMaRsu

Banned
It's not that I don't like what you said, I think you are ridiculious.

Because I hate the way Epic is trying to muscle themselves into the industry?

Lmao keep sucking Tim Sweeneys dick then

I dont give a fuck what u think

Pidull

I will never buy into EGS, even if they're giving away plenty of great games for free.

I'm not going to abandon Steam for another DRM-controlled digital store. Preferably I'd get the games directly from the studio or on GOG, so that I can have a copy DRM free.

diffusionx

Gold Member
By giving out free games they are gaining a foothold because gamers dont have any standards and will go YEEEY FREEE I WANNA I WANNA just like most consumers would in other markets by the way. Its a proven tactic

Theyre getting accounts but are people actually buying the games on the service?

Kacho

Theyre getting accounts but are people actually buying the games on the service?
Wish we had numbers but my assumption would be probably not. At least not as many as they’d like to have.

I’ve bought a whopping one game but im getting to the point where I might say fuck it and buy games rather than waiting an eternity for a Steam release

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wish we had numbers but my assumption would be probably not. At least not as many as they’d like to have.

I’ve bought a whopping one game but im getting to the point where I might say fuck it and buy games rather than waiting an eternity for a Steam release

Like I said a bunch of these games have landed on Windows Store and PC Game Pass well before Steam. I can play Mechwarrior 5 right now, if I wanted. Which I do.

Say what you will about MS and Windows Store but unlike EGS, PC Game Pass offers value to customers.

Last edited:

Kacho

Like I said a bunch of these games have landed on Windows Store and PC Game Pass well before Steam. I can play Mechwarrior 5 right now, if I wanted. Which I do.

Say what you will about MS and Windows Store but unlike EGS, PC Game Pass offers value to customers.
I'd love it if the Windows Store was a viable alternative, especially since I'm an Xbro in the console space, but that store is a travesty. I literally cannot download games without receiving endless errors. It's maddening.

hollams

Gold Member
I can't play Borderlands 3 because the store is unresponsive because of the demand for GTA V. What's up with that?

All I want is an Epic Game Store app for the PS5 that can play all PC Epic Game Store games... somehow... with the power of magic.
Cause I don't think I will ever get a gaming PC. :/

Hinedorf

Banned
Even Juggernaut thinks OP is silly

1536638413306.jpg

TheUsual

Gold Member
I can't play Borderlands 3 because the store is unresponsive because of the demand for GTA V. What's up with that?
I tested Outer Worlds via the executable in the installation folder and worked fine for me. EGS wasn't loading up my library.

Fuz

Banned
You know, they almost won me over with all those free games.

Then they forced me to use a 2FA.

Anything that shatters Steam dominance and its BS Apple cuts is good for gamers in the long run.
Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Easy to cheat, has no statistics, not tied to any leveling system.. Xbox does this right.
The cheating sucks, but I'm not sure how they could stop that. At least if someone has a bunch of achievements unlocked at the same time you could probably assume that they're not legit.

What kind of stats do you mean? Percentages?

I think it's better without a levelling system. Some people care so much about achievements that that they play easy just to get them and won't play others because they have some that they don't think they could get. I'd consider that detrimental to the game experience. They're better as a mark of having achieved something rather than giving them a value because the latter ends up becoming more important. It's worse when games are all given a set value and you end up with Barbie Simulator being equal to something like Sekiro. I think it's better when each dev is given the freedom to make as many or as few as they like and there's no specific value attached to them.

MMaRsu

Banned
ok boomer
don't forget to pick up gta5 for free in the EGS

Lmao Ive already had the game for years, why would I need an handout from Epic 😂.

Even if I didnt have it Id rather buy it directly from Rockstar full price then get it free on EGS.

MMaRsu

Banned
Anything that shatters Steam dominance and its BS Apple cuts is good for gamers in the long run.

😂

Epic already caved to Google and paid the money to get Fortnite on the Play Store.

Its a normal cut and its not going anywhere.

Steam "dominance" Lmao 😂😂😂😂😂😂

MCplayer

it might be horrible but I just both control for 19€ was waiting for it to reach that price

i0F0HmH.png

Last edited:

eot

Banned
How soon until PC gamers acknowledge the EGS as a legitimate contender here?
There's nothing to acknowledge. If they have market share they have it, I dunno what the real numbers are but I do know I have zero interest in using their service and splitting my library further. I only buy DRM free and on Steam, unless I'm forced to use a different service but right now the publishers with their own services aren't putting out things that I care about.

FWIW I've been pretty critical of Valve for a veeery long time (since 2004), and I have many criticisms of Steam as well, but in terms of trust I do have more faith in them (as a privately held company) and even that aside I simply don't want to split my purchases across tons of stores.

Last edited:
Lmao you don't game on PC at all do you?

5 minutes with the undercooked store and launcher will tell you all you need to know.

Most people launch their EGS games through steam. There are significant reasons why this happens.

If you want to see a company that is actually making strides forward and focused on improving the overall quality of your gaming experience on the platform then look at what is going on with GOG Galaxy 2.0.

How much time do you think it will take Epic to have feature parity with steam?

I am guessing 3 years max.

They are more than happy with response it got and are investing heavily in it. I am assuming they are working on a big update and will launch with a bang.

They know pretty well what gamers want. Unlike windows Store.

Why would developers using UE5 have any corrolation with exclusives on their store? Developers only care about Steam, unless Epic pay them vast amounts of money, which won't last as Fortnite starts dipping in popularity.
Fortnite even if it’s not at as popular as it was in 2018 is going to last a decade. It’s in that league of legends class of games where it’ll be a whole generation before people stop playing it.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Think about it
  • UE5 was announced today and when that engine becomes standard we can probably expect a whole helluva lot more exclusives on their store.
  • They also seem INCREDIBLY buddy buddy with Sony so there's likely some sort of marketing deal in place. I expect some Sony games that hit PC to go exclusive to the EGS.
  • Ubisoft has been quiet towards the end of the gen, but that's because their teams are gearing up for next gen. All future Ubi titles are exclusive to the EGS.
  • Clutch exclusives continue to pile up like SnowRunner, MechWarrior 5, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2, Maneater, Saints Row The Third remastered, etc.
  • They're even sniping smaller games like Huntdown
How soon until PC gamers acknowledge the EGS as a legitimate contender here? All the bitching and moaning aside, I could see Epic wiping the floor with Steam if they don't step their game up.
All it needs is a change to licensing. Pay 5 % of your revenue when you launch a UE game on Steam - pay no royalties at all if you launch exclusively on Epic Store. That combined with the much higher revenue from sales on Epic Store going to devs will kill all interest in releasing UE games on Steam.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
No one cares about the EGS outside of the free games. Giant waste of money to try and convince PC gamers to switch over.
No one would care about Steam if they hadn't built a huge library mostly via indie bundles and some interesting sales (the days of those sales are gone since 2016). Epic is simply doing the exact same thing. I have 600 Steam games of which I bought (as in actually bought and not bought through a bundle) 30. I have 100 Epic games of which I bought 3. Neither store is offering what I want, Steam is full of useless features that just bloat the whole launcher, Epic has too few features. In terms of data collection they are both the devil.

Top Bottom