• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

beelzebozo said:
mickey as a character really never was that interesting. he was sort of a straight man to react to all the really zany characters around him, e.g., goofy, donald, pluto, etc.

Later in his "career," sure, but he was just as zany as the those others guys early on.

Firestorm

Steampunk Willie should be the name obviously. It was suggested in the last topic and it's still true now.
EatChildren said:
I know very little about Mickey outside of Fantasia, but what I do know doesn't really seem all that interesting. Mickey was never a huge part of my childhood so there's no nostalgia, and as a character he seems largely uninteresting.

But I'm interested based on the gushing here. Plus the art is pretty cool.
From what I've gathered, this game is like that episode of the Simpson's where Itchy & Scratchy Land goes nuts except you are in fucking DISNEYLAND and everything is re-done with an amazing artstyle and Warren Spector is in charge.

Hero of Legend said:
I think it's obvious from the concept art and this cover art that the tone may be just a taaaaaaaaaaaaad too dark for young kids. :p

Dark isn't a problem as far as the theme goes. It's things like bad language, violence and whatnot that would make it unsuitable for kids. But again, I haven't given the art more than a cursory look.

Though they're currently stomping the shit out of goomba's right now so I may need to adjust my violence policy. Where the goomba's go after they get stomped is a hard question to answer. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why would you do that? said:
I'm the same way, except I've never even seen Fantasia, so I know nothing about anything Disney. I'm interested in this game because, well, its fantastical look and interesting (rumored) premise and the fact that it is on top of an action game intrigues me. Maybe it is a bad comparison to make, but this game excites me for similar reasons as Alice did. Alice is a 3rd person platformer (maybe shooter... it was on the Quake 3 engine) that had really out-there visuals and fantastical environments, and it was also pretty dark.

I too liked Alice, but I was interested in the subject matter too.

My interest in this is pretty much going out on a limb. I like the art, people seem excited so I'll have some faith in GAF-hype, but depending on what is shown I could easily walk away shoulders shrugged.

I just don't know enough about Mickey specifically to relate to the character.

Firestorm said:
From what I've gathered, this game is like that episode of the Simpson's where Itchy & Scratchy Land goes nuts except you are in fucking DISNEYLAND and everything is re-done with an amazing artstyle and Warren Spector is in charge.

This I could do.

HUELEN10

EmCeeGramr said:
Epic is a noun too.
I know that, I was referring to the "immature making fun of" factor. Disney, being Disney and all, is probably keeping it in mind. I have no problem with "Mickey's Epic". :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
BrandNew said:
Later in his "career," sure, but he was just as zany as the those others guys early on.

think they'll play more to the early, or to the modern? it'd be interesting to see them inject him with some really strong personality for this. i postulate he'll be a cipher through which we view the events of the game, though. an iconic and paradoxically evocative cipher, but yeah.

Hero of Legend said:
I don't really know if this should be for the kids! :O

Kids don't get enough fucked-up shit these days. Plenty of what's great about many of the really old Disney (and Warner Bros.) cartoons is that they're "kid-appropriate" (i.e. no nudity, sex, graphic violence, or swearing) but they're still full of bizarre and creepy imagery, psychadelic weirdness, dark humor, etc.

I fully expect this game to aim for the same broad target. Should be fine for kiddles.

Firestorm

BattleMonkey said:
So everyone is hyped because of concept art?
Yeah. Concept art is usually a good way of showing off a concept. Being hyped by that is a lot better than being hyped due to platform exclusivity which is something certain segments of GAF love to do.

upandaway

I'm the same way, except I've never even seen Fantasia, so I know nothing about anything Disney. I'm interested in this game because, well, its fantastical look and interesting (rumored) premise and the fact that it is on top of an action game intrigues me. Maybe it is a bad comparison to make, but this game excites me for similar reasons as Alice did. Alice is a 3rd person platformer (maybe shooter... it was on the Quake 3 engine) that had really out-there visuals and fantastical environments, and it was also pretty dark.
You mean the McGee or whatever thing? That's 100% a 3rd person shooter, no question about it.
I liked the art style of that too, but it made no sense and took away from the original magic of Alice. It was just there to look highly stylized. Maybe I'm just more forgiving towards colorful art style.

Princess Skittles said:
Just because it's "dark" doesn't mean kids can't enjoy something.
Castlevania.

Firestorm

Oh... Could Epic, the game company, do the Monster and Edge and sue to have the name changed?

Maybe they'll make a fake title and call it

MICKEY​
by EPIC
?
And have Disney sue?

Where I'm getting at is that the tone looks like something that'll scare the pants out of kids after seeing what's happened to their favorite mouse. :p

Oh well. :)

beelzebozo said:
think they'll play more to the early, or to the modern? it'd be interesting to see them inject him with some really strong personality for this. i postulate he'll be a cipher through which we view the events of the game, though. an iconic and paradoxically evocative cipher, but yeah.

Hm. Well I'm not sure, based on the concept art, there's much room for zaniness in this game...but we'll see. It could very well be the case that it's the Mickey we know and love, aka the modern Mickey, who's been disfigured along with his world and is posed to fix everything...so maybe he's a bit more, um...rational? I don't know. We really need to see screens.

Why did you guys bump this with no news?

/sigh

...this isn't news?

Oh... Could Epic, the game company, do the Monster and Edge and sue to have the name changed?

Maybe they'll make a fake title and call it

MICKEY​
by EPIC
?
Yeah, Disney's not litigious at all.

LCfiner

My God, this thread is already a bloodbath :lol

Consider me intrigued to find out more about this. Mickey needed something to make him interesting again. this looks to try just that.

1-D_FTW

Unison said:
I would say because of Warren Spector, who's as good a game designer as there is.

That's always been the appeal it held for me. Interesting that the rumors were right about it being a Wii only game. But it could actually be a really great decision. Warren Spector just going batshit insane exploiting the Wii's strengths could yield something special.

upandaway

LCfiner said:
My God, this thread is already a bloodbath :lol

Consider me intrigued to find out more about this. Mickey needed something to make him interesting again. this looks to try just that.
I dunno man, I don't think this is gonna make him mainstream again. Or at least on the level he once was.

jay

upandaway said:
What? The news came like half an hour ago! We're discussing the news!

He is implying everyone who paid attention knew it was Wii exclusive. Get it?

Damn it, very late (multiple minutes even).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
WAIT A MINUTE WARREN SPECTOR FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

HUELEN10

upandaway said:
I dunno man, I don't think this is gonna make him mainstream again. Or at least on the level he once was.
At least we can be happy that Mickey will always have a place, something that can't be said for other toons of old.

I don't think Spector would work this long (and act this excited) about a project he wasn't jazzed for

I'd trust in him at least until someone plays the game

iamaustrian said:
booh at the haters.
this will be awesome and will sell millions (especialy on Wii)
gimme

Can a game be awesome AND sell millions on the wii? Did SMG sell real well? I can't remember.

jett

D-Member
HUELEN10 said:
29uq3gk.png

logo

Is that real? That logo is seriously lacking in epicness.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
HDR+ragdoll said:
Can a game be awesome AND sell millions on the wii? Did SMG sell real well? I can't remember.

It might have sold a million or six.

upandaway said:
You mean the McGee or whatever thing? That's 100% a 3rd person shooter, no question about it.
I liked the art style of that too, but it made no sense and took away from the original magic of Alice. It was just there to look highly stylized. Maybe I'm just more forgiving towards colorful art style.

While I do agree somewhat that the art style of that game didn't really add anything, I liked it anyway, mostly because I felt a lot of it was imaginative, I guess.
With Mickey, though, it isn't like he wasn't in dark stuff before, so it fits much more with him, I'd say. I remember seeing parts of Fantasia a while back, and the art reminds me of that.

Top Bottom