• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, I'm not really seeing much of a difference between "the three Mickeys"... is it entirely their posture?

tenritsu

Banned
DavidDayton said:
You know, I'm not really seeing much of a difference between "the three Mickeys"... is it entirely their posture?

3162.3Mickey.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Check the color on the paintbrush, the glove color, and the skin color.

EDIT: oh, and the tail and shoes.

The animation tests have made me want this game hardcore. It's going to feel like playing a Mickey cartoon, something I wasn't able to do in KH!

lolsnidecomment

Razien

Banned
Aside from plastic Mickey, I'm loving it. Amazing animations, morphing characters (both on movement and characteristics and from character development) is one of the things I miss the most in the video game world, and the other models rock.

Fuu said:
Has anyone made a youtube of all these vids yet?

For some reason the ones on the site have a sticky point in the play where as the direct links people posted have none but the direct links don't show 2 of them.

batbeg

I love the first one the most, actually :D His legs slightly extending as if about to propel him mid-run - perfect. I'm impressed they got that elasticity down.

Now this is something I can get excited about. Those types of animations can really make this game pop if its consistent through out...and doesnt suck framerate wise. Hype risen.

Edit: My fault. I meant to say can get excited

GhaleonQ

abstract alien said:
Now this is something I cant get excited about. Those types of animations can really make this game pop if its consistent through out...and doesnt suck framerate wise. Hype risen.

Yep. Disney never did as much squash-and-stretch as Warner Brothers, so that's perfect.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, animation looks incredible.
Man, I can't wait until there is an official trailer I can show to my friends.
This really is the type of game everyone will go apeshit over.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Ok, so on the 28th of October I've got a presentation of the game and a demo and interview with Warren Spector.

Questions please! What would you like to ask him! Do my job for me!

McBacon said:
Ok, so on the 28th of October I've got a presentation of the game and a demo and interview with Warren Spector.

Artbook, how much whining and bitching do we need to do, in order to get them to release a big hardcover artbook.

Shiggy

While the concepts embraced the long history of a beloved character, Spector’s vision for the game took Mickey in a new direction. Much of that tonal shift was established under the eye of Rolf Mohr, the visual development director on the project in its early days.

Rolf Mohr joined Junction Point in September 2008 and left them in June 2009.

Nessus

McBacon said:

Have they completely abandoned the steampunk look from the earlier concept art (there's no hint of it in the screenshots or concept art in Game Informer)?

Animation looks kickass! And the other shots look much better than the previous ones shown before.

The animatronic Donald renders look much better than the previously shown ones as well!

Hype rising :D

Shiggy

McBacon said:

Ask him what has happened to Junction Point's Xbox 360 title ;)

Sadist

McBacon said:

Well, seeing he mentioned this game has some sort of Tim Burton feel; while developing this game, did Warren watch a lot of Burton films? In some of the screens it gives me a The Nightmare Before Christmas vibe.

And wow at the animations.

GhaleonQ

McBacon said:

How about a 2-for-1 question? "To what extent is this game supposed to convey to a new audience the reasons early Disney is great? Are you just appropriating a visual style because it's appealing? Are any of the real-or-perceived changes in the game's premise or art style due to you thinking about this?"

Also: "Will there be many visual Easter eggs in the game like the tiny Oswald in that original giant spread?"

"How many periods of Disney animation will you draw from? (Examples: Silly Symphonies, Mary Blair, Sleeping Beauty, 1970's, mid-1990's, et cetera.)"

gfdoom

KillerAJD said:
I love how his ears are in view at all times. Kinda weird that Disney demanded that, but I like the way it turned out.
that's a standard disney has with mickey, even with all the illustrations for mickey that's ever been done. When he's standing sideways or at any position, both his ears always has to show. That's the iconic mickey silhouette

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gfdoom said:
that's a standard disney has with mickey, even with all the illustrations for mickey that's ever been done. When he's standing sideways or at any position, both his ears always has to show. That's the iconic mickey silhouette

it's weird. i thought this would bother me or be unusual, but in fact, it looks perfectly fine when you see it in the animations.

Vinnk

McBacon said:

Can you ask for a little more information about the Pixar involvement?

Also I second asking/bugging him about a Special edition.

McBacon said:

Ask him if dreamfinder and figment (from the old Imagination ride at Epcot Center) will be in the game please!

I would also like to know what role if any John Lasseter has with the games development

McBacon said:

I would love to hear him talk about what they did differently in how they handle the animation (ie more time for the animators, less motion capture, or what ever they did) compared to past games. If they brought in any Disney, or Pixar animators to either work on the project, or on a regular basis to comment on the animation. If he thought we might see animation in games have a greater importance as we move forward. It always seems in a lot of games (not all) that animation is almost a secondary thought after the modelling, texturing, and other aspects. Obviously not from the animators themselves but I guess from Production or the people making choices on where the money and time goes in a game. So that when a game with really great animation, like what we're seeing here, or say Punch Out Wii, comes out it really stands out.

V_Ben

Banned
McBacon said:

I would love if you asked why they chose to go for the "babble" instead of real voices. im pretty sure it said that the characters would talk all rare-like (bu-bu-bu-bu-buuuu) in the Gi article.

beelzebozo said:
it's weird. i thought this would bother me or be unusual, but in fact, it looks perfectly fine when you see it in the animations.
That is because it's all you've ever known.

And holy crap, I just realized the Hades Beetleworx has the Lilo and Stitch ship-mounted guns as arms. That's my favorite Disney movie, how did I miss that?!

7Th

Hope there isn't a lot of plataforming in this game, animation looks a little bit too floaty and slow for that.

sinxtanx

7Th said:
Hope there isn't a lot of plataforming in this game, animation looks a little bit too floaty and slow for that.
You are probably the authority on this subject, as you have played the game at lenght.

7Th said:

These are animations in some sort of 3D modeler I believe...I highly doubt it's indicative of the pacing/gravity of the game engine

Anyways, as for interview questions...

-Just how long has this game been in development? It's been hinted at that it's been around for a couple of years now, and the GI article seems to insinuate the rights to Oswald were re-bought for this game (or at the very least Spector couldn't use Oswald until then), despite the fact that happened back in 2006

-How much can we expect the style/look to change level to level? Would he describe the game similar to, say, a 3D Mario platformer, where there's a hub world and different entrances/gateways to other worlds with drastically different environment and styles?

edit: Also, how much control are they planning on giving the players in the paintbrush mechanic? They mentioned that anything that's "Toon" can be erased and drawn, while anything that's "Inert" cannot. Pictures like this,

2rfepf6.png

seem to suggest that there will be a LOT of toon surface for Mickey to erase or draw in. Is the plan to allow a good amount of freedom to the player in what they choose to erase or draw in?

Peff

SirPenguin said:
Is the plan to allow a good amount of freedom to the player in what they choose to erase or draw in?

That's what it sounded like in the magazine article, the Scrapper/Hero playthrough was pretty different based on this kind of stuff (which could also be the reason why the game is not a looker).

mclem

I remember when I was young, I realised I could predict what would happen in a cartoon to some extent by distinguishing between what of the background was painted background and what of it was actually on a cel (and would therefore animate at some point in the future)

Seeing the talk about toon versus inert, I'm wondering if they'll attempt something approaching that, so the 'toon' content would look somewhat, er, otherworldly, when compared to the inert content. I would say cel-shaded, but we know that's not it.

McBacon said:

Ask him how his previous games are influencing this one? Will we see this as Warren Spector presents Zelda-Like or the natural evolution of Deus Ex and Thief?

Scribble

It just occurred to me how Super Mario Bros. and the classic Sonic games are perfect renditions of those old Disney cartoons (Oswald's in particular).

I think I'm off to play Mickey Mania and Super Mario Galaxy.

batbeg

mclem said:
I remember when I was young, I realised I could predict what would happen in a cartoon to some extent by distinguishing between what of the background was painted background and what of it was actually on a cel (and would therefore animate at some point in the future)

Seeing the talk about toon versus inert, I'm wondering if they'll attempt something approaching that, so the 'toon' content would look somewhat, er, otherworldly, when compared to the inert content. I would say cel-shaded, but we know that's not it.

Haha, I hadn't really thought of it like that, but it's absolutely true, and could really invoke some of that childlike nostalgia and giddiness.

TunaLover

McBacon said:

1.-How's composing the music for this game, wholy orchestrated or mixed with midi cues?
2.-How big is the team behind the music, intrument wise
3.-What will be the Pixar role in this game
4.-There was a cel shading option in early stage of development
5.-His thoughts about Wii hardware, it was enough to meet his vision for the game?

Azure J

Vinterbird said:
Artbook, how much whining and bitching do we need to do, in order to get them to release a big hardcover artbook.

Seconding the fuck out of this. Also, since Warren has personally mentioned that he wants this to rival Mario (Galaxy?), how much inspiration did the team take from other platformers when making this game? Were there any specific games he may have used as a barometer for what he wished to accomplish?

mclem said:
Always knew where that secret door was in Scooby-Doo!

McBacon said:

I want to know about the whole "Mario Killer" rumor thing.
Ask his if he plans for the final product to be on level with Super Mario Galaxy in both presentation and game play seeing as its harped as one of the best games this gen in both of those area's.

Also ask him if what they are doing for Mickey in this game is a company wide change for him or just for this game. It seems like we got hints of this being a company wide change in the bits of information from GI but I would like to hear from them directly if this is just the start to a whole new Mickey (3D Animations/ 2D Cartoons, produces, toys, images and so on . . . will these things shift towards promoting and using this Mickey over the more modern Mickey?).

And last but not least . . . will we see Oswald anywhere else? Does the company plan to use him for other things along with this reinvented Mickey?

Edit- And YES, ask about a art book!

Top Bottom