• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

McBacon said:
Ok, so on the 28th of October I've got a presentation of the game and a demo and interview with Warren Spector.

Questions please! What would you like to ask him! Do my job for me!

-Its the design of Mickey and the return of Oswald as important as it seems, not only for the game, but for the whole company? (Oswald and Mickey being in new cartoon shorts, in the theme parks, merchandise and logos)

-As he wanted to be imagineer, which is his favourite ride at disney park?, does he repent sometimes of not being an imagineer?

-are we going to see other disney rides, apart from disneyland, like Tower of Terror in DCA and Disney Studios, Horizons at Epcot, etc... If not, maybe in a sequel?

-How about rides with other company rights, like Indiana Jones and Star Tours?

-We know about music in the Its a Small World backstage is a version of it in reverse. Are we going to hear more versions of Disney ride and park famous music.

-We've seen in one of the new artworks, in the Mad Doctor Castle, some windows with disney villians (Maleficent, Scar, Hook), are they going to appear in anyway in the game? maybe animatronic versions? Also, if they appear, and seeing Scar, is there also space for "new" characters? (im talking about characters of the second gold age of disney, not when all went down the drain until Lassater was the real boss).

-I conccur in asking about a Especial edition or a hardcover artboook.

This is just for fun:
-Who decided osawld was Mickey's old brother, had a wife called Orthensia (is this character new?) and had lots of kids that loved their uncle? Because it was an awesome idea, and more if its finally cannon in the disney universe. :lol

JCreasy said:
I might be going out on a limb here, and I'm sure folks here would disagree, but in terms of pure animation prowes, Epic Mickey could hang with Uncharted 2 in the animation department if it executes the animation I've seen here in gameplay.

I would compare it more with Punch-Out!!. Uncharted is VERY good, but also goes for the realistic style, while Punch-out!! and Epic Mickey goes for the stretching, cartoon style, both of them do this perfectly, although maybe Mickey a little more perfect.
The most important thing about the two are the wieght of the characters and their "spine" when they do different actions depending their type of character.

SirPenguin said:
Wow @ these animations. You know what I think they nailed? That Disney "weight" every Disney character seems to have. It's really hard to describe...but Disney characters definitely have a certain feel to them, and they definitely got that across

One of the most important things in animation, in my animation class at university, the teacher showcased Punch-Out!! as perfect cartoon animation in games, and one of the things it excels above the rest of games (as it also does epic mickey) was weight in characters.

McBacon, I'd just stay away from asking questions with obvious PR answers. Like, he's clearly not going to talk any shit about the Wii's capabilities, so don't bother. (I'm not implying they are limited, but even if it's true he won't say so.)

The question about a company-wide re-design is a good one. I might want to hear if anything from his previous games specifically informed development of Epic Mickey. And what are the narrative "themes" running through this game? Without getting into the games-as-art argument, the premise sounds like it's trying to say a little bit more than your average game usually does.

zigg

mclem said:
I remember when I was young, I realised I could predict what would happen in a cartoon to some extent by distinguishing between what of the background was painted background and what of it was actually on a cel (and would therefore animate at some point in the future)

Seeing the talk about toon versus inert, I'm wondering if they'll attempt something approaching that, so the 'toon' content would look somewhat, er, otherworldly, when compared to the inert content. I would say cel-shaded, but we know that's not it.

That's a pretty brilliant connection to make.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
McBacon said:
Ok, so on the 28th of October I've got a presentation of the game and a demo and interview with Warren Spector.

Congrats - ask him how many guitars he now owns! :)

Linkified

McBacon said:

Ok

Q1: Before the game was revealed you had mentioned you wanted to/hoped to take Mickey to a scary place - the screenshots revealed so far haven't been exactly been scary with the use of the primary colurs on the Hades BeatleWorx/Gremlins/Rabbit kids. Is this because Disney marketing got involved early in the pipleline and gave you a document on how to use the characters? Is there more darker stuff to be revelead?

Q2: As Walt Disney company has been telling people of the last few years with the 'It all started with a mouse' speach, is this game a simple exercise for Walt Disney company to sell more branded Mickey goods and making a killing off of the introduction of merchandise with Oswald aswell, than care about the game itself?

Q3: You have hinted that this new redesign is going to be company wide redesign. Is this the true? If so how to you feel about pushing a design of which most people who grew up with Mickey globally post 1940s, don't like - rather than recreating a post 1940s styled Mickey as opposed to doing a redesigned version of a 1920s Mickey?

There you go.

Linkified said:
Ok

Q3: You have hinted that this new redesign is going to be company wide redesign. Is this the true? If so how to you feel about pushing a design of which most people who grew up with Mickey globally post 1940s, don't like - rather than recreating a post 1940s styled Mickey as opposed to doing a redesigned version of a 1920s Mickey?

There you go.

WTF???
You dont like it, some people dont like it, other people like it or love it. Dont talk as you or your surroundings are the center of the universe.
And many, many people love the 1920, and dont like so much the post 1940 version, not only his design but his character.
There is so many retro Mickey merchandise selling, and selling (more than the normal, I can assure you that) that people through the world usually love the retro Mickey much more than the post 40s.

Linkified

SpacePirate Ridley said:
WTF???
You dont like it, some people dont like it, other people like it or love it. Dont talk as you or your surroundings are the center of the universe.
And many, many people love the 1920, and dont like so much the post 1940 version, not only his design but his character.
There is so many retro Mickey merchandise selling, and selling (more than the normal, I can assure you that) that people through the world usually love the retro Mickey much more than the post 40s.

Its a question to ask him though. I know people who like 1920s Mickey when they are watching the cartoons from that time period, but would you watch the House of Mouse if it was presented by a freakish new design - no thank you.

Theres actually not a lot of Retro Mickey merchandise compared to modern Mickey.

Linkified said:
Its a question to ask him though. I know people who like 1920s Mickey when they are watching the cartoons from that time period, but would you watch the House of Mouse if it was presented by a freakish new design - no thank you.

Theres actually not a lot of Retro Mickey merchandise compared to modern Mickey.

I would see House of Mouse with retro Mickey. And more if that mean they actually did good animation this time, and I loved house of mouse, but the animation was cheap, even for an animated TV series. I would love to see also new mouseworks (or Mickey shorts) with the new Mickey design and Oswald in them, and I think lots of people have the same opinion, new shorts with the mischevious Mickey and Oswald would be great.
And yes, theres much more and sells more, retro Mickey merchandise, than new one. The new one its only bought by kids this days, and not much like Mickey anyways (only little, little kids, that watch Mickey's Club house), retro for the other part can be bought by kids and adults, and is used in a wider range of products.

Linkified said:
Its a question to ask him though.
Didn't want to say anything but your questions sound pretty . . . odd.:lol

Q1. From what lil we have seen this aint scary. Is this because of Disney? Does it get more scary?

Q2. Is this game just for Disney to promote and push more Mickey stuff or is it really about reinventing Mickey?

Q3. How do you feel about most people not liking the retro Mickey? . . . Not that I know this for fact.

But w/e, it's not up to me who ask what.

Linkified

SpacePirate Ridley said:
-are we going to see other disney rides, apart from disneyland, like Tower of Terror in DCA and Disney Studios, Horizons at Epcot, etc... If not, maybe in a sequel?

-Who decided osawld was Mickey's old brother, had a wife called Orthensia (is this character new?) and had lots of kids that loved their uncle? Because it was an awesome idea, and more if its finally cannon in the disney universe. :lol

1) Surely they would use the original Tower of Terror in Disney Hollywood Studios.

2) Please say your joking about canon of Oswald and Mickey being brothers.

Black-Wind said:
Didn't want to say anything but your questions sound pretty . . . odd.

Whats wrong with them.

Linkified said:
1) Surely they would use the original Tower of Terror in Disney Hollywood Studios.

2) Please say your joking about canon of Oswald and Mickey being brothers.

Whats wrong with them.

1)They are said using Disneyland things, I know the Orlando one is the original, but if the use only California for this games, and not only Disneyland but also DCA, they would use that one, so I was asking about rides in other parks as a whole.

2)Not joking, its in the gameinformer scans character explanations. You know, in cartoon land a Mouse and a Rabbit can be brothers, that world has not to be rational.

For the questions you asked they sound a little bit trolly, not that im saying they are or that you are trying to be a troll, but they seem.
Better put, our questions want to ask things about what are we going to see in the game, yours sound as as a english tabloid reporter.

Linkified

SpacePirate Ridley said:
1)They are said using Disneyland things, I know the Orlando one is the original, but if the use only California for this games, and not only Disneyland but also DCA, they would use that one, so I was asking about rides in other parks as a whole.

2)Not joking, its in the gameinformer scans character explanations. You know, in cartoon land a Mouse and a Rabbit can be brothers, that world has not to be rational.

For the questions you asked they sound a little bit trolly, not that im saying they are or that you are trying to be a troll, but they seem.
Better put, our questions want to ask things about what are we going to see in the game, yours sound as as a english tabloid reporter.

Well seen as I read way more tabloids than broadsheet newspapers anyway thats maybe where your picking that up from :lol.

I also I do not know why but my interest is kinder slipping on this game - I think its maybe to do with the fact I thought they would be using stuff from all the resorts rather than just one resort.

To me there trying to create cannon for a character(s) that don't need it, and characters like the rabbit kids who seem like they shouldn't be in it. Maybe they have a vital role gameplay wise. When the article was transcribed and they mentioned the gremlins were in a twisted version of IASW ride I was thinking dark evil creatures and then I see them and they are all cute and colourful.

I think the hype I built up for myself was dark twisted Disney universe game, which had stuff from every single resort, etc.

Sorry guys but I'm out sorry if you thought the questions sounded trollish though.

Scribble

I think the characters dark and twisted in their own ironic little way. I just watched Steamboat Willie and Plane Crazy and it's shocking how insensitive Mickey was back then :lol

Linkified said:
Well seen as I read way more tabloids than broadsheet newspapers anyway thats maybe where your picking that up from :lol.

I also I do not know why but my interest is kinder slipping on this game - I think its maybe to do with the fact I thought they would be using stuff from all the resorts rather than just one resort.

To me there trying to create cannon for a character(s) that don't need it, and characters like the rabbit kids who seem like they shouldn't be in it. Maybe they have a vital role gameplay wise. When the article was transcribed and they mentioned the gremlins were in a twisted version of IASW ride I was thinking dark evil creatures and then I see them and they are all cute and colourful.

I think the hype I built up for myself was dark twisted Disney universe game, which had stuff from every single resort, etc.

Sorry guys but I'm out sorry if you thought the questions sounded trollish though.

Dont worry, I understand.
I would have love to see resort things also (maybe are in the game, we dont know yet).
For the gremlins thing, they already existed, its one of Walt's ideas from a Road Dahl book, that he wanted to turn into a movie but never did it at the end.

Scribble said:
I think the characters dark and twisted in their own ironic little way. I just watched Steamboat Willie and Plane Crazy and it's shocking how insensitive Mickey was back then :lol
But have you seen the censored or the uncensored version opf Steamboat Willie.
Because in the uncensored...
He plays the flute with the tits o a pig :lol

Linkified

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Dont worry, I understand.
I would have love to see resort things also (maybe are in the game, we dont know yet).
For the gremlins thing, they already existed, its one of Walt's ideas from a Road Dahl book, that he wanted to turn into a movie but never did it at the end.

So surely the Roald Dahl family estate, creator of BFG, should get some royalities?

Yeah seen the scans to be able to read this time fully - and I love Kingdom Hearts, but is it just me or do the Blotlings look like poor Heartless clones.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Ok I take back what I said before. His eyes look ok in motion, though it still has the weird shadow. The animation is superb.

Scribble

You didn't close your spoiler tag, btw

But yeah, that bit was a whole series of "Oh, he wouldn't!" for me. The most hilariously shocking part is when
he picks up the mother pig, shakes the piglets off, and sticks his boot into the one that's already hanging on

And I thought the Looney Tunes were the 'edgy' ones :D

If there's one good thing about this Epic Mickey steamboat, it's me rediscovering the old cartoons. I just finished watching Mickey's 'The Birthday Party', and it's shocking how creative it is. I like how they tend to put Mickey in a simple situation, such as playing an instrument, and build on top of it in the most outlandish ways possible (With animation, the sky's the limit!)

I hope some of that comes through in Epic Mickey.

I recommend Walt Disney's Treasures series

Shin Johnpv said:
It looks like they've done the normal map for the boss as well, and definitely work, on I don't know if its a specular map or shader work, but the way light is reacting to the boss is completely different.

It's actually environment map bump mapping you're seeing. The Wii has this effect hardwired into the system.

Anyway, now I'm getting excited. I know some gameplay details, and it sounds ace. The animation is also very good.

Here's my interview question for him.

Who came up with the awful name "Epic" Mickey?

ZephyrFate said:
The animation tests have made me want this game hardcore. It's going to feel like playing a Mickey cartoon, something I wasn't able to do in KH!

lolsnidecomment

Actually in Kingdom Hearts 2 there was a world called Timeless River which was basically a love letter to the really old Mickey cartoons when he was cool.

It had steamboat willie, plane crazy, and even horace horsecollar and shit

mjc

-Ask him if "Epic Mickey" is just a placeholder name. If it isn't, offer to sell your firstborn son to him in exchange for changing it.

-See if he'll divulge any info about the leaked art we saw a couple months ago, and if that stuff is reminiscent of what might be in the game. (Because the screenshots I've seen in GI don't look much like it at all)

Anticitizen One said:
Actually in Kingdom Hearts 2 there was a world called Timeless River which was basically a love letter to the really old Mickey cartoons when he was cool.

It had steamboat willie, plane crazy, and even horace horsecollar and shit

The car heartless that appears in that world is pretty awesome too, would be better if it weren't so cheap.

b3l7r4.gif

sweet animation. i hope mickey stays white-faced. i dont mind if they abandon the steam punk thing. mickey was never bioshock. as long as they keep the 1920-30's Disney's Treasures feel im all in.

41ARHC8EFCL._SS500_.jpg

Reading one of the gameinfromer interviews with Spector I came upon this:
“This is so freaky, but there have been a couple of people that have written master theses about the games I’ve worked on. There was one I read, and it pointed out that three things have appeared in all of my games. There’s always a basketball court; that one is on purpose, by the way. The second thing is there is always an altered state of reality. The last thing that this academic pointed out to me was that every game I’ve worked on has in some way been about a family relationship. It doesn’t necessarily mean a literal nuclear family, but it’s always about the close bonds that we form with each other and how they break up. Maybe I’ve just been in an extended therapy session for the last 26 years.”

Rumors tell that Walt Disney build a basketball court inside the top of the matterhorn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TKKg-KRP0
There is a basketball "court" inside the top of the matterhorn

Something tells me Mickey is going inside the top of the Matterhorn in this game. :lol

Linkified

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Reading one of the gameinfromer interviews with Spector I came upon this:

Rumors tell that Walt Disney build a basketball court inside the top of the matterhorn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TKKg-KRP0
There is a basketball "court" inside the top of the matterhorn

Something tells me Mickey is going inside the top of the Matterhorn in this game. :lol

It wasn't a rumour, Disney management had a huge area of space available at the top of the matterhorn and they asked cast members who were in charge of operating the ride what they wanted to do it.

Edit: Didn't see your your youtube link but its on the Imagineering Disneyland DVD.

Linkified said:
It wasn't a rumour, Disney management had a huge area of space available at the top of the matterhorn and they asked cast members who were in charge of operating the ride what they wanted to do it.

Edit: Didn't see your your youtube link but its on the Imagineering Disneyland DVD.

Its real but it still a rumour for some people. I think it was posted here in this same thread the first time I saw it.

sciplore

The animations look fab cannot wait to see more about this game in the near future. I inspire to be able to animate characters this well one day :).

gfdoom said:
that's a standard disney has with mickey, even with all the illustrations for mickey that's ever been done. When he's standing sideways or at any position, both his ears always has to show. That's the iconic mickey silhouette

Actually I think I remember reading somewhere (but I could be wrong) in order to keep his ears from becoming blobs with every other dark piece of his body both of his ears were always shown to keep up a strong silhouette. It was just something that they decided to keep as the character model just like his gloves though he can be seen without those.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Walk-Out Basements said:
sweet animation. i hope mickey stays white-faced. i dont mind if they abandon the steam punk thing. mickey was never bioshock. as long as they keep the 1920-30's Disney's Treasures feel im all in.
I agree with all of that. The steam punk thing is really tired at this point. It's cool and I would like a game heavily based around that theme, but the look of the screenshots was a little 'goth Tim Burton fanatics who shop at Hot Topic'.

What they seem to be going for is pretty charming and old school in a way we haven't seen in decades.

*Sees Game Informer scans*

:lol :lol :lol

Freaking idiots hyping this garbage. Looks like Kingdom Hearts will hold onto the "Only good Disney game of the decade" award.

typhonsentra said:

Freaking idiots hyping this garbage. Looks like Kingdom Hearts will hold onto the "Only good Disney game of the decade" award.

Thank you for that well thought out and insightful post.

Threi

notag
typhonsentra said:

that is one hell of a troll.

bravo :lol

typhonsentra said:

I guess someone hasn't played KH 2 yet.

typhonsentra said:

Good game? You're fucking hilarious. Go fall off a cliff.

typhonsentra said:
Always my pleasure.

By the way, you seen the animation tests for Disney Princess PC Dressup?

No, but I did see you've been banned in excess of ten times, including one six month stay in solitary. That leads me to believe that you'll never, ever learn.

Toodles.

Dragona Akehi said:
No, but I did see you've been banned in excess of ten times, including one six month stay in solitary. That leads me to believe that you'll never, ever learn.

Toodles.
It's sad that the trolls haven't stopped, even when seeing all these people being banned. =/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
typhonsentra said:

Thanks for playing.

Kard8p3

Please take the Kingdom Hearts bashing somewhere else. I think this game looks great but Kingdom Hearts is great as well (and KH2 is my favorite one) so lets try to stay on topic from now on.

All this Epic Mickey news is giving me a fever and the only cure is MORE OSWALD.
Oswald__s_Return_by_DarkAngelX.jpg

If you are a fellow infected, do read on. If you detest Oswald - skip this post.

I went to the disney store website to look for anything Oswald related.

I came up with 4 items:

1 - Walt Disney holding Oswald Figurine. A meaningful symbol for those who read the GI article. 225$
WDCC-WaltOswald-Disney.jpg

2 - Oswald animation cel. 800$
Oswald_the_Rabbit-thumb-550x375-25524.jpg

3 - Oswald Disney Treasures - 2 DVDs, the complete collection of Disney-prodcued (Universal continued to run Oswald into obscurity after Walt left) Oswald toons. May come in a metal tin or not 25$
i2_disney_treasures_oswald.jpg

4 - Oswald shirt looks like it was made in the 1930s- NEWSFLASH! IT'S ONLY 5 BUCKS. NUFF SAID.
disney-classic-oswald-tee.jpg

FYI, i got 3 and 4.

link:

Buy Some Oswald Crap

some oswald info posted by
Ed Gauthier

The Oswald story was always one of the saddest in Disney history. Created in the 1920s by Ub Iwerks for Disney (as was Mickey Mouse), Disney was fooled into signing over the Oswald rights to a crooked producer at Universal.

The Universal producer was later fired, and Oswald’s career was managed for awhile, until it fizzled out, by Walter Lantz of Woody Woodpecker fame. The superior character of Warner Bros’ Bugs Bunny no doubt greatly overshadowed him.

But many decades later in 2006, in a strange twist of fate, something as dull as Disney letting a sportscaster out of his contract so he could go to Universal was enough to bring Oswald back home to the fold. Thank you, Al Michaels. (http://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/vintage-oswald-rabbit-ornament.html)

Not oswald
Wakko.jpg

From Wikipedia: The image of the Warners is a homage to cartoon characters of the early 1930s. Characters consisting of simple black drawings with white faces were very common in cartoons of the 1920s and 1930s, including Bosko and Honey, Felix the Cat, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Bimbo, Flip the Frog and the early version of Mickey Mouse, Pete, Foxy and Minnie Mouse. [I looked these characters up and it is an interesting study esp. the ones in bold]

Walk-Out Basements said:
All this Epic Mickey news is giving me a fever and the only cure is MORE OSWALD.
Oswald__s_Return_by_DarkAngelX.jpg

If you are a fellow infected, do read on. If you detest Oswald - skip this post.

I went to the disney store website to look for anything Oswald related.

I came up with 4 items:

1 - Walt Disney holding Oswald Figurine. A meaningful symbol for those who read the GI article. 225$
WDCC-WaltOswald-Disney.jpg

2 - Oswald animation cel. 800$
Oswald_the_Rabbit-thumb-550x375-25524.jpg

3 - Oswald Disney Treasures - 2 DVDs, the complete collection of Disney-prodcued (Universal continued to run Oswald into obscurity after Walt left) Oswald toons. May come in a metal tin or not 25$
i2_disney_treasures_oswald.jpg

4 - Oswald shirt looks like it was made in the 1930s- NEWSFLASH! IT'S ONLY 5 BUCKS. NUFF SAID.
disney-classic-oswald-tee.jpg

FYI, i got 3 and 4.

link:

Buy Some Oswald Crap

Not oswald
Wakko.jpg

Im going to but the Osawld and Mickey treasures today. Only 10 euros here in spain, and those are the tin boxes ones.

The Warners never came to mind that they wer an homage of those charaters, now thinking about it understand. That makes them mopre awesome than before.

Thank for the info.

Top Bottom