• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

Datschge

KefkaTaran said:
If you read the interview, he talks very specifically about his adoration for the Duck Tales concept based on the Carl Barks comics.
Yeah, I just read that. Worth quoting as well since the interviewer tried to change to cartoons as well and Warren just got back to Barks instead:
GI: Who or what is the Phantom Blot?

WS: The Phantom Blot was created by Floyd Gottfredson who is probably the second greatest comic book writer and artist of all time after the sainted Carl Barks who did all those Uncle Scrooge stories that I love so much. (...)

Also, I want to do a Duck Tales game. Convince the world that a Duck Tales game needs to be made. I can’t convince anybody at Disney to let me do a Duck Tales game. How can that be?

GI: Everybody I know, when you ask about the cartoons that they are fond of from childhood, there’s that varying list of all the action ones, the G.I. Joes and the Transformers and the Thundercats and all that stuff, but everybody loves Duck Tales.

WS: Carl Barks really is the greatest American comic book writer and artist ever. Some people would say Will Eisner. There’s competition. But Carl Barks is the best, and he wrote and drew the stories that inspired half of those Duck Tales episodes, and they are watered down. You would not believe the beauty and the power of those stories. They’re not for kids. They’re really very adult or certainly appealing to the broadest possible audience, which is kind of where I want to be now. I don’t want to make games for kids, I don’t want to make games for gamers, I want to make games for everybody. I think if someone did Carl Barks or Duck Tales right, it would be awesome. Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge were Indiana Jones 50 years before Indy was a glimmer in Spielberg’s eyes. It’s just amazing, and they’re doing nothing with him right now.
Now I'm looking forward to him doing a Duck Tales game indeed.:D

Datschge said:
Yeah, I just read that. Worth quoting as well since the interviewer tried to change to cartoons as well and Warren just got back to Barks instead:

Yep. :) I happen to know that the interviewer is a big comic reader who's probably very familiar with Barks' work, but I imagine he tried to bring up the cartoons since that's what more people know Duck Tales from. But man, it's so great seeing someone with Spector's passion and love for the material giving Barks the respect he deserves.

Again, this Duck Tales game *must happen*.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Carl Bark's Scrooge has nothing on Don Rosa's Scrooge... I like them both, but Rosa's Scrooge has more depth, emotions, and a greater sense of adventure to it.

Datschge

Panajev2001a said:
Carl Bark's Scrooge has nothing on Don Rosa's Scrooge... I like them both, but Rosa's Scrooge has more depth, emotions, and a greater sense of adventure to it.
I... I actually tend to agree, but Don Rosa "just" compiled everything Barks wrote (and drew) and tried to make it work in a consistent universe, with every (unnecessary) detail explained. The latter would be nothing without the former, and it works as a whole.

Don Rosa would be the perfect guy to work with Warren's team on a potential game using Barks work. A great writer and artist, and who knows the material better than Rosa?

AshMcCool

I love the Duck-Stories from Barks(and Rosa), but saying the cartoon series is shitty is just wrong. Not as good as the Stories they are based on, yes, but still a high quality show.

Shiggy

Ducktales and Gummi Bears - the golden age of Disney on television, pretty bad that they've got crap like Hannah Montana or Kim Possible nowadays.

Peru

JasonUresti said:
Don Rosa would be the perfect guy to work with Warren's team on a potential game using Barks work. A great writer and artist, and who knows the material better than Rosa?

I've met Rosa.. he doesn't write Donald comics anymore because the pay is so lousy. They're just (mostly) using low wage italian artists for the Donald magazines that are so popular in certain parts of Europe. How Disney can let one of their greatest artists in Rosa loose just because they can't find serious work for him.. it's enough to break ones heart. Anything to get him working his magic on the Ducks again would be a miracle.

Solo

Warren Spector said:
I’m out there pitching an epic fantasy roleplaying game – a game that’s sort of Deus Ex like, but with a more militaristic spin, and really dark and really, really edgy and stuff – and of course they weren’t interested, you know?

Tragedy.

Look, Im glad Spector is working on a high profile game again, glad Disney is going to make a game like this, and so on. But Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time, and Im STILL waiting for my spiritual successor. That Spector seemingly had one planned out that no one was interested in breaks my fucking heart.

This is the quote out of the whole interview that stuck with me :_(

jay

The Ducktales cartoon completely neutered Donald Duck. Neutering Mickey was fine because it happened some 40 years before I was born, but I will not stand for Donald's legendary temper becoming a Hawaiian shirt (if he didn't actually wear one until QuackPack or some other shitty show just take it as a metaphor).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Solo said:
Tragedy.

Look, Im glad Spector is working on a high profile game again, glad Disney is going to make a game like this, and so on. But Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time, and Im STILL waiting for my spiritual successor. That Spector seemingly had one planned out that no one was interested in breaks my fucking heart.

This is the quote out of the whole interview that stuck with me :_(

i sympathize. but epic fantasy roleplaying games are made left and right; games that appeal to both kids and adults equally and contain depth in the same way that a film analog like pixar movies do don't get made nearly enough. it takes a very talented person to pull that off with both a childhood sense of wonder but with adult restraint, and if spector pulls it off here, there'll still be plenty of other people making great epic fantasy roleplaying games. hell, maybe he'll get around to making another eventually.

but "mature" is consuming the gaming world not unlike the kudzu vines choking the wilderness of the united states. we invited it, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but oh fuck is it out of control.

Linkified

Just read the interview and this bit caught my attention:

GI: Certainly there are a lot of things about that world that set it apart from what we’re used to seeing from Mickey Mouse cartoons – do you have a general way of describing the tone of the world and the characters we see there?

WS: It’s dark and twisted, that’s kind of what it’s about. I want people to have – as they play the game and they look at things, and they move through spaces and they listen to the soundtrack – I want them to have this feeling of recognition and familiarity, and then I want to yank the rug out from under them. I want them to feel like, “You know, I’ve been here before but – no, I really haven’t. I’ve heard that song... no, that’s different.” So there’s that moment of recognition, and then there’s the shock that something’s different. That’s kind of what I’m hoping for.

On top of that, I really want to scare kids. I’m gonna keep saying that until I’m blue in the face. It’s going to be a funny game. Honestly, I bet a lot of fans are really gonna be upset with me about this, but I really want to do something lighter. I don’t want to do dark and heavy. I want people to smile when they’re playing, not get all scrunched up with adrenaline. I want people to smile when they’re playing a damned game for a change. This seems like a perfect opportunity to do that, but thrown in there every once in a while, there’s going to be an “Oh my god!” scare. That’s what I’m shooting for. We’ll see if I succeed. That’s a tough thing – funny and then scary. But we know Disney can do it, so we’ll see if we can do it in a game.

I am curious to how its a dark game I presume he means Doctor Who dark which is dark enough to scare kids, but adults who watch it just watch it because its entertaing to watch.

Actually I know it would never happen but Steven Moffat writing this game would be truly scary.

Peru said:
I've met Rosa.. he doesn't write Donald comics anymore because the pay is so lousy. They're just (mostly) using low wage italian artists for the Donald magazines that are so popular in certain parts of Europe. How Disney can let one of their greatest artists in Rosa loose just because they can't find serious work for him.. it's enough to break ones heart. Anything to get him working his magic on the Ducks again would be a miracle.

Ah, too bad. Don Rosa is almost criminally undervalued by American comic critics and fans. I rarely see his name mentioned when people are discussing the top cartoonists working today.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmm.

If Epic Mickey does well, I'm going to have a hard time believing that Spector can't get Lasseter interested in a Scrooge McDuck-based game.

Heck, I'm of the mind that if someone could get Lasseter the info on Spector wanting to do a Duck game, he'd help green flag it.

jay said:
The Ducktales cartoon completely neutered Donald Duck. Neutering Mickey was fine because it happened some 40 years before I was born, but I will not stand for Donald's legendary temper becoming a Hawaiian shirt (if he didn't actually wear one until QuackPack or some other shitty show just take it as a metaphor).

Donald only appeared in a handful of episodes of Ducktales.

jay said:
You're thinking of QuackPack in the first place...or maybe I guess Maui Mallard?

Donald was in the navy in Duck Tales and was in very few episodes. He frequently got reprimanded for going ballistic over small things.

Hiltz

ciD_Vain said:
Oh god i remember when i first saw that, i was with my nephew trying to explain to him what duck tales was.

That sure is messed up.

For the record, Duck Tales has one of the best and most catchiest theme songs.

ZeoVGM

Banned
jay said:

Duck Tales is factually better than you.

ShockingAlberto said:
I have just discovered, reading this post, that I can still sing all of those Disney Afternoon songs from memory.
That's kind of creepy.

Don't lead any children into the woods or Chris Hansen will get ya.

Dali

ShockingAlberto said:
I have just discovered, reading this post, that I can still sing all of those Disney Afternoon songs from memory.
Aside from Marsupilami and Timon and Pumbaa (the beginning of the end as I refer to them) I just realized I can do the same. I haven't seen some of those shows (like Gummi Bears and Tail Spin) in over a decade and yet I still know most, if not all, the lyrics.

Dali said:
Aside from Marsupilami and Timon and Pumbaa (the beginning of the end as I refer to them) I just realized I can do the same. I haven't seen some of those shows (like Gummi Bears and Tail Spin) in over a decade and yet I still know most, if not all, the lyrics.
INDOCTRINATION!

DavidDayton said:
Hmm.

If Epic Mickey does well, I'm going to have a hard time believing that Spector can't get Lasseter interested in a Scrooge McDuck-based game.

Heck, I'm of the mind that if someone could get Lasseter the info on Spector wanting to do a Duck game, he'd help green flag it.

This.
Im totally seeing Lasseter green lighting that project. More even when he is the one who greenlights all animation and themepark projects.

But lets start maybe with a little short of Oswald and Mickey doing mischevious things ala Steamboat Willie or Plane Crazy. Put it before Ranpunzel in the cinemas (like the pixar shorts before Pixar movies) and if its really good BAM! you have a winner.
Ranpunzel is dated for december and the game will hopefully be in stores during autumn of that year, so it would be an awesome way to join both. And its the 50th disney animation movie, so which better place to show the whole world the new animated Mickey and Oswald.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Jocchan said:
What I really want is a sequel to QuackShot. That game was freakin' awesome.

i would give anything.

actually, i would give anything for a general anatidae-centric game revival. i think duck-related disney games have been traditionally more inventive and quality than the mickey stuff, crazy as that seems.

Linkified

Jason's Ultimatum said:
OT and I know we're all in the mood for nostalgia, but Disney really was at its prime when we were kids growing up watching their shows:

Tale Spin intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIl5YwcO72g&feature=related

Seriously. I wish Disney would air Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Chip n Dales, and Tale Spin. I'm sure I'm missing other Disney cartoon shows. :lol

Yes. Yes. And triple yes to this statement.

You could easily make a Tale Spin game like Crimson Skies.

Linkified

beelzebozo said:
i think TOON DISNEY shows all those.

Well Disney merged Jetix and Toon Disney to form Disney XD in the UK. Also just checked the US site and it doesn't list those shows.

However last year I saw most of the characters in those shows doing character meets. Possible revival?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
oh, bummer, i didn't know they'd been pulled. i think i'll just snag some disney cartoon dvds in the deep discount sale this year.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Because of this thread Duck Tales and Darkwing Duck are now in my Netflix Queue

GCX

Peru said:
Part of the reason is money but probably the most important thing is that Rosa went through an eye surgery and can't really do comics anymore because of that.

How unbelieveable was it that I found the GI issue sitting at my local EBGames store while everyone else was waiting at their mailbox, I mean really? :lol

Scribble

I've been watching some Silly Symphonies today.

Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf, the Big Bad Wolf, the Big Bad Wolf
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf, doodledoodledoo

They're kind of tame/neutered compared to the older Disney cartoons, but they're good fun.

Azure J

ShockingAlberto said:

Same here. It's really funny how fast I can do it too, there's no thinking about it, it just happens.

Also, what the fuck @ that youtube link. :lol

Top Bottom