• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I would love to see...new shorts with the mischevious Mickey and Oswald

i would love to see a Mickey vs Oswald a la
560953-spy_vs_spy_large.jpg

that would be sort of itchy and scratchy, and so unlike the modern Disney.

Hopefully Spector has something along these lines...Possible spoiler ahead?
an epic battle between Mickey and Oswald and then once they are exhausted after having beat the crap out of each other, they realize they're on the same side - and promptly team up to defeat the real enemy. Evil Felix the Cat.
hope that aint a spoiler.

felix-the-cat-dvd-cover.jpg

smiley-1.png

silverbullet1080 said:

Well it was the only part of his post that wasn't a lie. ;D

Walk-Out Basements said:
I've got a fever and the only cure is MORE OSWALD!

OMG yes!

Walk-Out Basements said:
Hopefully Spector has something along these lines...Possible spoiler ahead?
an epic battle between Mickey and Oswald and then once they are exhausted after having beat the crap out of each other, they realize they're on the same side - and promptly team up to defeat the real enemy. Evil Felix the Cat.
hope that aint a spoiler.

Well
cat vs rodents makes some sense.

TheDuce22

Banned
brandonh83 said:
He got banned for expressing his thoughts that the game's epic vistas and brilliant looking art direction would look grand in HD? Little over the top if you ask me, especially since I share the same sentiment. And that's not a troll, I own all three current-gen systems and don't really have any beef with the Wii not being in HD, but I think the atmosphere presented in that artwork would be better-suited in high definition personally.

Game looks like it has a lot of potential and it's nice that the Wii is getting... something interesting. It just looks like something I'd rather have for 360 or PS3.

Its pretty depressing to look at that amazing concept art then at what we actually get. I dont understand why this game is on the Wii.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheDuce22 said:
Its pretty depressing to look at that amazing concept art then at what we actually get. I dont understand why this game is on the Wii.

Because the Wii’s demographic fits the target market for this game.

It’s not witchery. It’s quite easy to work out if you take off the “HD” goggles. You only don’t understand it because you want more power behind the game. You want it. That’s it. You want it, and you don’t understand why you’re not getting it.

But that doesn’t mean shit in the grand scheme of things. It’s a Disney game, ok? Not some dark M rated gothic fantasy whose content will push the boundaries of gaming. No matter how the concept art looked, no matter what Spector’s intentions were and are, the game was always going to be a Disney game.

And as a Disney game it’s going to appeal to the widest market as possible. It needs to appeal to older gamers and younger gamers. The Wii is the perfect fit for that target market, and this particular franchise, and if you can’t understand that it’s again because you want it on one of the HD twins.

You dont need to be happy about it. You can wish for it being on other systems all you like. But dont say you dont understand why it is on the Wii, as the reasoning is pretty fucking obvious, and was before we even knew what the platform officially was.

batbeg

TheDuce22 said:

Kind of
really
stupid statement when you think about. Should the concept artists downgrade their art because the system won't "accurately" portray the art? The art style not being properly conveyed is nothing to do with the platform, but rather the style they chose to go for in the end.

But yeah; concept art will always look fantastic if handled by someone with the ability to make it look so, completely irregardless of platform. Best example I can think of is Blood of Bahamut:

v49uza.jpg

Linkified

Actually just noticed that they started bringing the walt disney treasure dvbd series to the uk back in 2004 and just stopped completely, I think they only released like 4 titles over here.

So... looking at everyone's responses in this thread, they seemed to believe that the concept art would exactly mirror the game... That was one artist's interpretations that he gave to the game, which may have influenced it slightly, but obviously were not used as the main design launching pad.

I personally think that the style we got fits the game much better. It's much more cartoony, and in that way makes some things more disturbing (in the subtle way that games like Majora's Mask can be disturbing, not in the overt Condemned way). In the GI article, they mention walking in the underworkings of it's a small world, with gears and machinery all around, and the well-known song playing in reverse. That small detail - That the song is playing in reverse- adds to the incredibly trippy and bizarre atmosphere of the game. The same atmosphere that always underlies cartoons. That's what this game is about -- subtly showcasing the bizarre and very occasionally horrific insanities of the cartoons we love.

In my mind, that's much more awesome than simple dark fantasy starring Mickey Mouse characters. Plus, Spector and Junction Point seem incredibly into this work, and I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
New update today, yes yes? Anyone want to take a stab at what it could be?

Well it's the 2nd to last day before the "reveal" day. I'm guessing today's focus will be music, Monday's focus will be on translating artwork -> in-game graphics (with a good deal of screenshots) and Wednesday will be the official announcement and trailer.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
from phil kollar's twitter

Long awesome interview with Warren Spector on Epic Mickey: http://bit.ly/1ct9zQ -- Oh, and he wants to make a Duck Tales game. YES YES YES

and a snippet from the interview

And it turns out that what was going on – it wasn’t that – I mean they weren’t interested in the projects I was doing, but they were actually texting each other to see if they should ask me about this other thing they wanted done. And they asked if I would be interested in doing a licensed project. And I said, “Yeah, I’ve been wanting to do one.” I gave the design keynote at GDC in 2003 or 2004, about licenses and sequels, and how you can do creative stuff in that context. And so I was like, “Yeah! Give me Uncle Scrooge! Give me Duck Tales! Come on!”

Also, I want to do a Duck Tales game. Convince the world that a Duck Tales game needs to be made. I can’t convince anybody at Disney to let me do a Duck Tales game. How can that be?

:eek:oo

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What a great interview..the passion he has is just incredible. He let Disney buy his company so he could make this game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
maybe EPIC MICKEY will sell like a billion copies, he'll get tons of pull, and make a DUCK TALES game. oh god please make a DUCK TALES game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
warren spector obviously appreciates the usefulness of a cane as both a club and a pogo stick, and wants to leverage that knowledge.

batbeg said:
But yeah; concept art will always look fantastic if handled by someone with the ability to make it look so, completely irregardless of platform. Best example I can think of is Blood of Bahamut:

wasn't that platform the DS, though?

Horrible example, IMO. I really must be missing your point by a wide margin, because I've seen you make some good ones before.

Look at concept art for Uncharted 2, Prince of Persia (2008), Gears of War 2... just to name 3. Those games come pretty fucking close to nailing their concept art.

TheJollyCorner said:

Horrible example, IMO. I really must be missing your point by a wide margin, because I've seen you make some good ones before.

Look at concept art for Uncharted 2, Prince of Persia (2008), Gears of War 2... just to name 3. Those games come pretty fucking close to nailing their concept art.

I think he's saying that Blood of Bahamut has awesome concept art, though the game itself received mixed reviews. The point of which might be that to some degree concept art should be viewed as separate from the game itself when nothing of the game is actually shown.

That interview was just incredibly awesome. Warren Spector has some of the greatest passion, not making only games, but making his dreas go true.

All what he say was like more fuel for my hype train, if this games is a hit, well, he could give a new spin to the entire world of animation.
We can maybe return to the animation in tv golden era thanks to him. Imagine a Mickey and Oswald Club, with new episodes of those 80 and 90 animation shows we knew and love, and Mischevious Mickey and Oswald in new shorts. Put the disney youth stars hosting (yeah, I know, its lame, but its not a bad idea) and are the ones who make the children of this era watching that program, only because of those stars, but then they see the heart of the program and the say "Hey, Duck Tales is awesome!", "Im seeing this series with my father and big brother and they also love them", "Hey Mickey and Oswald are awesome, I want to be like them!"
And they are a hit, and all people, form little kids to adults, love disney again.
So the rivals have to get up and attack, and they start to making new parts for other 80s and 90's animation shows. Bring back Tiny Toons, bring back animaniacs, bringing back the old 90s Cartoon Network, kids seeing their favourite programs when they arrive from school.

This is what needs to happen.

Make this happen Warren Spector, and you will be my god.

AshMcCool

about the DuckTales Game:

YES YES, a thousand times YES.

seriously, since this whole epic mickey hype thing started, I was constantly thinking: Yeah, Mickey Game is fine and all, but why making a Mickey Game, when you can make a DuckTales Game instead?

This man is really into this.

Loved the read, learnt a lot. This guy gets it, from his reasoning for putting this on the Wii to this goals for the future to his goals for Mickey.

Hope this game does so great that WS actually could get a movie and theme park out of it.:D

Warren Spector's enthusiasm for this project really excites me. Whenever developers get so excited about their work it usually translates into a more amazing game

Azure J

Motherfucking Ducktales game needs to be made just because the world needs more Ducktales.

Random thought: My fondest gaming memory involves getting Ducktales GB in Orlando days before I could go to Disneyland along with my first Gameboy -- a red colored Pocket. My mother was really trying to dissuade me from getting it though saying that if I chose the Gameboy, I'd have to forfeit my ticket to the park. (Yeah, right. :lol)

v4gr4nt

Black-Wind said:
This man is really into this.

Loved the read, learnt a lot. This guy gets it, from his reasoning for putting this on the Wii to this goals for the future to his goals for Mickey.

Hope this game does so great that WS actually could get a movie and theme park out of it.:D
Such an interesting read.

Datschge

Duck Tales? Please not the shitty animated series. Anything using the Duck universe needs to be based on Carl Barks' stories and be written/supervised by Don Rosa.

What is most exciting about Spector wanting to make a Duck Tales game is that he would be going back to the original, and best, take on the ducks. The cartoon was neat, but originals by Carl Barks are the best.

BrandNew, sorry man, it's true. The cartoon was just a pale, sanitized reflection of the Barks stories.

Bog

Junior Ace
Datschge said:
Duck Tales? Please not the shitty animated series. Anything using the Duck universe needs to be based on Carl Barks' stories and be written/supervised by Don Rosa.

Yeah, because that's what everyone's familiar with...

What are you 100 years old? People know and love the CARTOON.

Datschge

BrandNew said:
I guess you never read the original comic stories which the animated series twisted into a sissified candy world. Ah right I forgot, nobody buys Ducks comics in the US anyway... =/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So all this Duck Tales talk somehow brought back memories of an episode from my childhood where evil vegetables enslave the characters. It took my about 10 minutes of googling, but I found the episode and I'm watching it on youtube right now, for the first time in probably 15 years. :D

Datschge said:

do you go around saying things like this in front of real people?

Bog said:
Yeah, because that's what everyone's familiar with...

What are you 100 years old? People know and love the CARTOON.

The comic stories are known and loved to. Reprints and new Duck comics are widely available outside the USA.

There really is no reason for you cartoon-only cats to complain. Carl Barks made all those characters you love. The comics had all the same characters, and many of the same or at least similar story lines. They were just better.

I would think you guys would excited or at least interested in checking them out, if love the cartoon so much.

batbeg

TheJollyCorner said:

You kind of got it, but the opposite :lol My point was exactly that concept art is a foundation for art style and will almost always be excellent, regardless of the platform it's intended for. I chose BoB because of the huge disparity between fantastic art and actual implementation.

But for now, I have a big interview to read, wheeee.

Datschge said:

If you read the interview, he talks very specifically about his adoration for the Duck Tales concept based on the Carl Barks comics.

Man, that was a FANTATSIC interview. It's so great to see such enthusiasm. Unless this game takes some terrible turn for the worse near completion (like of KoF XII Proportions) I'll be getting this Day 1

Just wow at him telling the people of Disney straight to their face how they ruined Mickey. It's so true too.

Top Bottom