• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey developer Junction Point closes

What I'm not glad wasn't.

Fixed, Seriously, are people really afraid of making Mickey Mouse a bit darker? In his early days of Black and White, he used to be a mischievous little fella always getting into trouble and being a smart ass.
Nowadays, he has no personality, he's just an empty hollow shell that used to have something interesting inside him. Just became a mascot character for the company. I read somewhere when they invented, Donald, Goofy and Pluto, they split mickey's personality and behavior into each one of them them, what was left of Mickey? Pretty much nothing.

Back when I heard when Mickey was going to take a more serious style and returning back to his roots, I was excited, this game sounded like the return to the Mickey Mouse I loved because our oh so promising friend, Warren Spector said he wanted to go through this dark version of Disney and his life, it sounded like a game more for the people that grew up with him than newcomers although they would probably enjoy it as well.
What is sad is that Disney does not like their characters getting a bit too dark as they are afraid parents will complain about how violent they make them and whatnot, and from an artist perspective I can understand, but if they made this game towards the old Mickey fans and made this better more darker side of Mickey and Disney, this game would've sold a lot better.

This is getting a bit long so I'll end it short. My point here is that fans, like the biker dude need to grow some balls as well as Disney so we can have nice and different things. all in all, when I first go this game for Christmas (The Special Edition mind you) I played it for two hours and just stopped. the Gameplay was boring, the story didn't really captivate me and I just stopped playing it, oh what could've been.

In short, I got the game and was severely disappointed.

Pociask

Fixed, Seriously, are people really afraid of making Mickey Mouse a bit darker? In his early days of Black and White, he used to be a mischievous little fella always getting into trouble and being a smart ass.
Nowadays, he has no personality, he's just an empty hollow shell that used to have something interesting inside him. Just became a mascot character for the company. I read somewhere when they invented, Donald, Goofy and Pluto, they split mickey's personality and behavior into each one of them them, what was left of Mickey? Pretty much nothing.

Back when I heard when Mickey was going to take a more serious style and returning back to his roots, I was excited, this game sounded like the return to the Mickey Mouse I loved because our oh so promising friend, Warren Spector said he wanted to go through this dark version of Disney and his life, it sounded like a game more for the people that grew up with him than newcomers although they would probably enjoy it as well.
What is sad is that Disney does not like their characters getting a bit too dark as they are afraid parents will complain about how violent they make them and whatnot, and from an artist perspective I can understand, but if they made this game towards the old Mickey fans and made this better more darker side of Mickey and Disney, this game would've sold a lot better.

This is getting a bit long so I'll end it short. My point here is that fans, like the biker dude need to grow some balls as well as Disney so we can have nice and different things. all in all, when I first go this game for Christmas (The Special Edition mind you) I played it for two hours and just stopped. the Gameplay was boring, the story didn't really captivate me and I just stopped playing it, oh what could've been.

In short, I got the game and was severely disappointed.

Let's be clear, if you grew up with Mickey in the time period you are talking about, you are 100 years old. Steamboat Willy came out in 1928. Writers were making Mickey child friendly, and created Donald, by 1934. I don't see why Disney or Warren Spector should make a game targeting geriatric fans of the Mickey 1928-1935 time period.

Speaking of Donald, where's a good Donald Duck game? That's a character!

Top Bottom