• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey developer Junction Point closes

Lijik

Release cool as shit concept art

*Concept art gets leaked out

Not that it really changes things but i dont get where that false narrative keeps coming from.

Not sure why they even bother buying these studio in the first place.
The person in charge of Disney Interactive changed in between acquiring and dumping them IIRC. The new person is more focused on mobile games instead of console games (which is probably why the recent WreckIt Ralph game got farmed out to some low budget studio by Activision)

Zoe

For everyone hoping Warren Spector lands at a place like Irrational or Arkane or Valve: he has made it abundantly clear in interviews over the past half decade that he is in no way interested in making games like those companies make anymore.

Maybe he and Richard Garriott can get together then.

Jburton

Banned
The rumor was true. Next gen is gonna be a blood bath.

If you make games that don't sell and lack quality it's hardly the fault of the generation, it's your own fault for releasing a product not worth buying.

I love the scapegoat of its the fault of next generation, shit product don't sell.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
*Concept art gets leaked out

Not that it really changes things but i dont get where that false narrative keeps coming from.

Og86eiz.jpg

AGITΩ

Sucks, especially since Warren said this was like his dream job working at disney. What were the sales Figures on Epic Mickey 2? Was it similar to THQ betting on U Draw to have the same if not bigger success on PS3/360 because of how well the Wii version did only to end falling beyond short of expectations? Would explain the Constant Sale Prices I've been seeing on Epic Mickey 2 with the Permanent Price Drop that just happened sunday.

sn00zer

Sad to see a studio go, but from what ive seen and heard they had hundreds of employees and didnt produce good games

Do you like bad cameras and controls in your games? Bland level designs? Boring story? If yes, check them out.

Ha. I didn't have much of a problem with those aspects. What I didn't like about Epic Mickey (I didn't play the sequel) was that it pretty quickly dissolved into an endless series of fetch quests.

AGITΩ;47043517 said:
Sucks, especially since Warren said this was like his dream job working at disney. What were the sales Figures on Epic Mickey 2? Was it similar to THQ betting on U Draw to have the same if not bigger success on PS3/360 because of how well the Wii version did only to end falling beyond short of expectations? Would explain the Constant Sale Prices I've been seeing on Epic Mickey 2 with the Permanent Price Drop that just happened sunday.

I estimated in the other thread they were 740k worldwide. Disney expected them to be around 2 million.

So, Disney probably had to deal with a $6 to $8 million budget shortfall...what other reason would they have for instantly shutting down the studio?

Epic Mickey was so infuriating. Such an ingenious concept for licensed material--maybe the best idea ever for a licensed property--such a wonderful love letter to Disney in so many ways... wrapped around such a hot mess of a game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, Disney probably had to deal with a $6 to $8 million budget shortfall...what other reason would they have for instantly shutting down the studio?

Well, even if it broke even, they'd probably want to shut down the studio from an RoI perspective and (as they note in their PR) to re-align with their new strategy, which is licensing and mobile.

AwShucks

I was talking about the early steampunk stuff which i assume most everyone else would be.
That cover is still somewhat indicative of the final game, since it features locations from it and its not like Mickey or the blot dont look like that.

The art in the Game Informer story was amazing and the final game completely failed to live up to it. Even with EM2 being on PS3/360 they still couldn't manage to get it close to that original unveiled art.

For everyone hoping Warren Spector lands at a place like Irrational or Arkane or Valve: he has made it abundantly clear in interviews over the past half decade that he is in no way interested in making games like those companies make anymore.

If that's the case, he either goes cap-in-hand to Nintendo, starts an iOS studio or retires, because it's going to be incredibly difficult for him to make the games he wants to any other way.

Xander51

I think both Epic Mickey games are okay, but the second one in particular doesn't feel like such a huge team worked on it. Budgeting was probably a huge issue on these products. Sorry to see the team go, a lot of talent there.

Lijik

The art in the Game Informer story was amazing and the final game completely failed to live up to it. Even with EM2 being on PS3/360 they still couldn't manage to get it close to that original unveiled art.

I dont remember what they showed in the original Game Informer article other than like art of the opening area which was definitely in the game, art of one of the 2D levels which seemed to get recreated pretty accurately, and art of the Its A Small World levels which the final game stayed pretty true to.
Stuff like this from the orignal leak I dont remember being in the article:

I dont know what the fuck people were expecting out of the game if you're going to tell me this looks nothing like the Lonesome Manor on the GI cover:
I mean it looks as about as close as you're going to get on the wii

Katzii

I'm personally sad to see Junction Point go and Epic Mickey finish. The first game at least, with its flaws, was a fascinating concept with a lot of love put behind it, even if the execution wasn't brilliant, which is what makes me want to go back to it. I for one was glad they didn't stick with the "steampunk" vision. The second game definitely was a step down but I would like to give it another chance someday.

Popcicle

Hot Texas Chili
For someone who really enjoyed 1 & 2 (not to mention the rebirth of Oswald into the public eye) this is very sad.

GhaleonQ

It has nothing to do with "this generation" and everything to do with Spector's two awful games bombing hard.

Indeed. Spector and (unfortunately) Okamoto's Game Republic don't belong in the same class as the Irems and Cings and Mitchells. This should be a blot on their careers, but the team is still packed with talent. Good luck to them.

For someone who really enjoyed...(not to mention the rebirth of Oswald into the public eye) this is very sad.

Once again, indeed.

Wideload hasn't made a console game since Guilty Party, and their most recent game was mobile. I wouldn't count unhatched chickens :p

*resigned sigh*

I was one of the original EM's fans - the game certainly had flaws (too many fetch quests, the fact they pretty much nerfed "Scrapper Mickey" to the point that it has absolutely no real bearing to the game as a whole, camera issues) but I loved the large tributes to Disney history and was keen on seeing how Oswald would be introduced back into Disney cannon. It had moments where it shone and you could really feel the love put into it.

The second....feels a bit phoned in of the first few hours I played, there's still some really great references in there and it's nice to see they attempted to add more character to main street. But the Musical idea was terribly done, little of the game's original troubles were fixed, and then they added the horrid box puzzles to boot. It's sad because I wish Junction Point had fixed the fundementals, before even attempting to add the extra puzzles and such.

That and it's extra sad because it was quite clear only Junction Point seems to care to use Oswald as something other than an obscure chaarcter to stick on Disney Parks Merch, sort of hope Oswald gets used in some other projects, though it's becoming clear that Disney need some major kicks up the rump when it comes to management

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It sucks that in this industry one flop can make or break a developer. Imagine if LJN was still around.
Well...both games were pretty poor. The first game sold well, but word of mouth was not positive. When the second game showed up with mediocre reviews once again I'm sure most people wrote it off.

If it had received rave reviews and was genuinely a great game that solved all of the originals problems it probably would have succeeded.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
*resigned sigh*

It's a pity. While neither Hail to the Chimp nor Guilty Party are great games, both have very interesting elements and feel very much like "almost, but not quite" successes, and Stubbs is pretty good with no qualifications attached. I have no problem with them going to mobile, but I'd hate to see them in the license grinder, just producing pablum. Unfortunately I expect most of Disney's original mobile content to come from outside, and the studios they actually own will be stuck fulfilling quotas :/

Make one game that's a success - Be put instantly on making a sequel.

Make a second game that's not a success - Be instantly shut down.

That's how it's done in the gaming-industry; Invest more and more until you first see losses and then immediately bail out with the remaining money.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Peoples jobs and all that, but theres gotta be some sense to this industry beyond putting out utter tripe like the Epic Mickeys and expecting your sugardaddy/momma to keep you around because you got a bum rap this time around.

Videogame industry is just going through puberty right now and the lessons to be learned are hiring the correct project managers and the right talent and running with that, NO BLOAT. The success of Minecraft being born from Notch's personal tinkering and inspiring ideas and then forming a staff around that and the millions thats raking in is no anomaly. In comparison Junction Point just wasnt housing the raw talent and hunger for development to make something truly special from the Mickey Mouse property yet pulling in some insane 600 people to do so. Shit went wrong.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Peoples jobs and all that, but theres gotta be some sense to this industry beyond putting out utter tripe like the Epic Mickeys and expecting your sugardaddy/momma to keep you around because you got a bum rap this time around.

Same for any industry. Markets don't work if companies can't fail.

I hope these people land on their feet and end up working on better/more productive projects.

SmithnCo

Hopefully Disney will give the IP to a developer that can do it justice.

Ehhh.... Honestly they probably want to dump the IP at this point. The DS game being mediocre as well doesn't help things.

Hopefully Disney Infinity will do well because it looks pretty cool.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Disney Interactive bought and killed

-Propaganda Games
-Black Rock Studio
-Fall Line Studios
-Junction Point Studios

all in the past four years,and if Disney Infinity bombed, Avalanche will be next.

Not sure why they even bother buying these studio in the first place.

It was a different time and attitude when Disney was trying to really hack it in the traditional publishing field.

Xun

Sad to see another studio die.

I was hoping we were going to see a resurge of the old style of Mickey, but that's even more doubtful now.

Elixist

I dont know how you can have that jaw dropping concept art probably some of the coolest i've ever seen and then have game look nothing like it or evoke any of the spirit of it.

39epicmickey1600x1200.jpg

SVBKd-Imgur_zps167e6af4.jpg

if you gave me a game that looks like this and plays well on pc i wouldve bought a collectors edition and i dont do that.

Top Bottom