• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: Next gen will be a "substantial leap over current gen"

Eideka

Banned
Did top of the line game this gen look only as good as FEAR at low frame rates.... no so why do you think it'll be different for next gen? We've already seen Star Wars 1313, Watch Dogs which all blow away current pc games.
And those games will still look better on PC than on next-gen consoles. ;)
Unless they gimp the PC ports.

All I want if for Epic to do something awesome with that Samaritan setup. Some Bladerunner style detective action game with amazing visuals.
http://kotaku.com/5982905/apparently-the-story-behind-epics-dazzling-2011-tech-demo-is-a-doozy

What was that "Samaritan" demo that Epic produced a while back?

A. One day I'll be able to give the full story on that. It's really a doozy. If journalists nag Epic enough and they give the OK I'd be glad to give details.

Momentary

Banned
Did top of the line game this gen look only as good as FEAR at low frame rates.... no so why do you think it'll be different for next gen? We've already seen Star Wars 1313, Watch Dogs, final fantasy, and the unreal engine 4 demo which all blow away current pc games.

And they're using current PC hardware. It's a completely different playing field than it was in 2005. Plus the fact that high end Geforce 8000 series cards are still used as minimum specs for a lot of recent console ports kind of throws your whole defense out he window.

Scrabble

And none of those were run on next gen console hardware. They were ran on currently available PC hardware.

And? Are you implying these games are only being built for pc's? Early unreal engine 3 demo's were only on pc hardware and even the original gears surpassed those demo's. Gears 3 absolutely blows it away by comparison. Their building their engines for consoles, not pc's.

Kimawolf

These are also the guys who said that dev costs will jump 4 times WITHOUT their engine, but only 2 times with it. I want to see their substantial leap over this gen because WatchDogs is not a substantial leap, nor is SW 1313 after seeing Crysis 3/2 on PC with those mods.

And? Are you implying these games are only being built for pc's? Early unreal engine 3 demo's were only on pc hardware and even the original gears surpassed those demo's. Gears 3 absolutely blows it away by comparison. Their building their engines for consoles, not pc's.

Uh what? I'm saying that currently available PC hardware is whats responsible for those demos you claim are proof that next gen consoles will compete with current gen pc tech. If you're claiming that consoles will be able to match the performance in those demos given that there is no finalized specs for neither the xbox nor the ps4 then you're taking a leap of faith. PC hardware has always been capable of running console games much better than consoles can. Whether or not PC ports live up to that fact is beside the point.

Eideka

Banned
Understatement of the year.

Anyone even suggesting that next-gen will match or out-perform today's high-end PC's is laughed at.

It's simple : hardware wise they won't compete with high end mono GPU PCs of 2012, let alone 2013.
Software wise they should trump everything available elsewhere because games are not made with high-end specs in mind.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good to hear this from Epic since the final specs for both machines are lower than what they were hoping for in terms of Tflops, although they could be using PC numbers and not known how much further that would go in a console setting. If the major engine makers and devs are pleased, then we will be.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
It's simple : hardware wise they won't compete with high end mono GPU PCs of 2012, let alone 2013.
Software wise they should trump everything available elsewhere because games are not made with high-end specs in mind.
Youre taking the rumors as factual and complete, lets wait a week and go from there.

Eideka

Banned
Youre taking the rumors as factual and complete, lets wait a week and go from there.

I'm not expecting the specs to be bumped radically, are you ?

That will suffice for next-gen software to blow away what we have now....But I'm disappointed that it's not in the same ballpark as high end PCs :/.

Scrabble

Uh what? I'm saying that currently available PC hardware is whats responsible for those demos you claim are proof that next gen consoles will compete with current gen pc tech. If you're claiming that consoles will be able to match the performance in those demos given that there is no finalized specs for neither the xbox nor the ps4 then you're taking a leap of faith. PC hardware has always been capable of running console games much better than consoles can. Whether or not PC ports live up to that fact is beside the point.

Absolutely, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. As a pc gamer with a pretty beefy rig I would hope they'd look better than their console counterpoint, but to insist that next gen games won't even reach Battlefield 3 or Far Cry 3 visuals I think is crazy. And I only wanted to point out that you cant directly compare pc hardware to console hardware.

daninthemix

Forgive my cynicism, but if he was to say that next gen will be a mere iteration on this gen he'd sell less Unreal Engine 4 licenses in the long run.

jaxpunk

Forgive my cynicism, but if he was to say that next gen will be a mere iteration on this gen he'd sell less Unreal Engine 4 licenses in the long run.

A salesman never talks down his product he's looking to sell. For anyone looking into this as anything more than a sales pitch, you need to get out more.

Absolutely, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. As a pc gamer with a pretty beefy rig I would hope they'd look better than their console counterpoint, but to insist that next gen games won't even reach Battlefield 3 or Far Cry 3 visuals I think is crazy. And I only wanted to point out that you cant directly compare pc hardware to console hardware.

I think next gen consoles will do Farcry 3/BF3 just fine. I wasn't really speaking to that as much as I was speaking to next gen games.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm not expecting the specs to be bumped radically, are you ?
Not necessarily, but I just think GAF in general is overly pessimistic. It seems that negative rumors are taken as fact while positive ones are shot down very quickly.

That will suffice for next-gen software to blow away what we have now....But I'm disappointed that it's not in the same ballpark as high end PCs :/.
Agree 100%.

Anyone got a Radeon X1800 (equivalent to Xenos in 360) laying around? I want someone to install it and try to play BF3, Farcry 3, Witcher 2 and Sleeping Dogs.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The company that creates the most popular game engine telling us that game graphics will be very good in the future.

What a shock.

GreekWolf

With Oculus Rift coming out in a year or two, I just don't know if next gen consoles can sway me no matter how good the graphics are. My deciding factor will have to be exclusives, unfortunately.

That's my feeling, as well. IMO, the Rift represents a true generational leap in what we've come to expect from gaming. It's the kind of device I fantasized about back in the 90's, when imagining what games/machines would be like in the future.

In reality, I think I might have grown out of console gaming, because every generation is starting to look essentially the same to me. Shiny, new boxes beside my TV with a bit more visual flair. It's time to move on. I'm ready for a new experience.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
In other words, the same as this gen. Just the same thing as last gen, but with a fresh coat of paint.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm going to side with Pachter that next gen looks like Crisis 2 with all the bells and whistles turned on

The best in all that is that next gen, once mastered, will be less impressive in details and IQ than Moded Crysis, but ten time more modern and realistic in the same way.

That's just how things work.

Pollux

Considering the current gen debuted around 2005 if this next gen wasn't a giant leap I would be supremely disappointed. However, I'm probably going to be supremely disappointed anyway if there is any truth in the rumor threads.

Camp Lo

Banned
The best in all that is that next gen, once mastered, will be less impressive in details and IQ than Moded Crysis, but ten time more modern and realistic in the same way.

That's just how things work.

So a higher fidelity is all we'll really notice? I am down with that. A lot of the intangibles need to be upgraded like hair physics and landscapes

Quazar

Be careful GAF, lets not take actual developers words who are confirmed to be working on these systems.

lol of course they have an engine to sell, and it sells for a fucking reason.

We'll see how many 1080p let alone 60FPS games come in the next few years. Even still once next gen games actually hit they will still be much better looking on current high end PCs.
The shitty games that third party devolpers make has a possibility if being below 1080p. Microsoft and Sony's first party games will be 1080p(with quite a few being 60fps) at a minimum. I'm willing to bet on it. Would be hilarious if Microsoft/Sony's first party games run @ 1080/60fps while looking infinitely superior to third party's sub-1080p/30fps games. I fully expect that to happen.

Top Bottom