• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
6JwzMQg.png

Mystery game next week - oooooooh

The Epic Games Store Holiday Sale is back on December 17, bringing you the gift of great discounts and 15 Days of FREE Games!
By The Epic Games Store Team
We’re getting ready for the season of giving with our most festive sale of the year!

The Epic Games Store Holiday Sale begins on December 17, and we’ve got some goodies in store for you. Unwrap deals up to 75% off, but that’s not all....

Also starting December 17, we’ll be giving away a new game each day for two weeks straight - that’s right, it’s 15 Days of Free Games! Each game will be free to claim for just 24 hours, but they’re yours to keep forever.

Now is the perfect time to browse and add any games you’re interested in to your Wishlist while logged in to your Epic account - you’ll receive a notification if they go on sale.

Happy (Early) Holidays, everyone!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Epic Games Store Holiday Sale is back on December 17, bringing you the gift of great discounts and 15 Days of FREE Games!
We’re getting ready for the season of giving with our most festive sale of the year!

The Epic Games Store Holiday Sale begins on December 17, and we’ve got some goodies in store for you. Unwrap deals up to 75% off, but that’s not all....

Also starting December 17, we’ll be giving away a new game each day for two weeks straight - that’s right, it’s 15 Days of Free Games! Each game will be free to claim for just 24 hours, but they’re yours to keep forever.

Now is the perfect time to browse and add any games you’re interested in to your Wishlist while logged in to your Epic account - you’ll receive a notification if they go on sale.

Fucking mad lads

clapping-gifs-sWqmn2.gif

longdi

Banned
Claim your free games!
Dang, no death stranding!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

Dec 17: Dying Light
Dec 18: Resident Evil 3
Dec 19: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Dec 20: Mass Effect: Andromeda
Dec 21: Assassin's Creed Origins
Dec 22: Metal Gear Solid V
Dec 23: The Evil Within 2
Dec 24: Far Cry 5
Dec 25: Fallout 4
Dec 26: Borderlands 3
Dec 27: Monster Hunter: World
Dec 28: Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dec 29: Horizon Zero Dawn
Dec 30: Ghost Recon Breakpoint
Dec 31: Hitman 2

manfestival

Claim your free games!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

I would dream of this list. I imagine there will be like 2-3 big titles and the rest just indie stuff.

Claim your free games!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

No RDR2, no redeem ☹

Trogdor1123

Claim your free games!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

This can't be real can it?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Claim your free games!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

I can't believe anyone would take this list seriously.

Reactions: MrS

Dargor

Claim your free games!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

Is that list true or just your wish list?

Last edited:

wildcrocodile

Neo Member
Claim your free games!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

is it for real?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Also, serious question for those who sit waiting for free games - why not just pirate them?

To be clear, I'm not advocating it, I'm just wondering what the thought process is. Nobody is getting your money either way. Is it that you don't know how? Can't be bothered? Don't wanna break the law? Genuinely curious.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i redeemed the PoE + Tyranny games. of all the free games Epic has given me those are probably the only 2 i would actually play.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Also, serious question for those who sit waiting for free games - why not just pirate them?

To be clear, I'm not advocating it, I'm just wondering what the thought process is. Nobody is getting your money either way. Is it that you don't know how? Can't be bothered? Don't wanna break the law? Genuinely curious.
I would imagine for each free game claimed the developers are being financially compensated (either directly or indirectly). But also, aside from any moral objections, people probably don't want to deal with cracking DRM and the time and possible vulnerabilities that may introduce.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Claim your free games!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

That would be amazzong.
Is that real?

theclaw135

Banned
I would imagine for each free game claimed the developers are being financially compensated (either directly or indirectly). But also, aside from any moral objections, people probably don't want to deal with cracking DRM and the time and possible vulnerabilities that may introduce.

By claiming free games you get to be a contestent on the world's greatest game show: Spend Epic's Money.

AV

I really doubt it's per-install for a free giveaway. Highly exploitable. Best I could find is Sweeney saying that "Epic pays each developer or publisher for the opportunity to distribute their game free for a week. The paid amounts are negotiated to ensure that the developer gains more from the Epic payment and resulting new customer influx than they would expect to lose in paid sales as the result of the free week.". But I don't think we have solid data.

I guess people probably do think it's still hard to install them in 2020. The morality thing I really don't buy when people are waiting until they're free anyway, but ehh, to each their own.

Fbh

Claim your free games!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

No cyberpunk? Those epic bastards are so cheap!!!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really doubt it's per-install for a free giveaway. Highly exploitable. Best I could find is Sweeney saying that "Epic pays each developer or publisher for the opportunity to distribute their game free for a week. The paid amounts are negotiated to ensure that the developer gains more from the Epic payment and resulting new customer influx than they would expect to lose in paid sales as the result of the free week.". But I don't think we have solid data.

I guess people probably do think it's still hard to install them in 2020. The morality thing I really don't buy when people are waiting until they're free anyway, but ehh, to each their own.
Yeah it may vary from deal to deal, I imagine most are a set fee from Epic to the developer or a fee with thresholds of increased payments depending on take-up. Either way the developers are getting paid. If everyone downloaded a pirated version instead of claiming the Epic versions, then Epic would most likely not bother and the developer would therefore not receive any money.

I have no idea how hard it is. I would assume you can just download pre-cracked versions that just run, but not sure how they then play nicely with patches and going online etc. To be honest keeping up with PC driver installs takes too much time and effort for me nowadays, yet alone any of that shit. I don't think I've ever played a free Epic game yet, but I've claimed a load. My thought is that eventually when everything is available via streaming, I will have a ready made library, all it has cost me is the 30 seconds to load the site and click GET.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: AV

jshackles

Ya'll better lower your expectations pretty considerably

3 things.

First possible malware, could steal credit card info and accounts.

Second unless you have a secure way to hide ip, there's a remote possibility of being fined or getting an isp strike.

Third the pirated copy won't be updated over time, you'll need to redownload it in the future if windows versions change significantly, etc. Store copies are always updated to work on latest windows.

AV

3 things.

First possible malware, could steal credit card info and accounts.

Second unless you have a secure way to hide ip, there's a remote possibility of being fined or getting an isp strike.

Third the pirated copy won't be updated over time, you'll need to redownload it in the future if windows versions change significantly, etc. Store copies are always updated to work on latest windows.

I would say that all of those are basically non-issues in 2020 unless you're literally googling "download free cyberpunk", but I suppose you can't expect most people to know that. I guess it's a matter of prior knowledge.

Again, wanna make it clear that I'm not advocating it, it's just kinda funny to me.

manfestival

Well I think for most it is a moral thing. The biggest thing here is that the devs got paid through Epic for you to obtain access to it through their ecosystem. A pirated game means nobody got paid and you still got the game. Then you consider all other risk involved. Pirating means you can get marked and your ISP can threaten to take down your internet among all things including actual legal action being taken against you from the developer/publisher. Then there are viruses that can be a far greater problem than the effort you put for obtaining a pirated copy that may even also not work. There are so many more reasons to pick up a legitimate free copy but I do think the moral argument is the most sound just to answer your question.

YoodlePro

And before the moral police starts raining down. I buy games. I use torrent as the best Demo mode you could have.

I played God of War on my jailbroken PS4 the first time, and then I bought it.
I played Binding of Isaac cracked the first time, and then I bought it on Vita, PC and Switch. + bought all the DLCs
I played No Man's sky cracked, then bought it when it became better.
Same with Payday, Horizon Zero Dawn, Oxygen Not Included and many others.

The industry should just bring Demos back man.

AV

Well I think for most it is a moral thing. The biggest thing here is that the devs got paid through Epic for you to obtain access to it through their ecosystem. A pirated game means nobody got paid and you still got the game. Then you consider all other risk involved. Pirating means you can get marked and your ISP can threaten to take down your internet among all things including actual legal action being taken against you from the developer/publisher. Then there are viruses that can be a far greater problem than the effort you put for obtaining a pirated copy that may even also not work. There are so many more reasons to pick up a legitimate free copy but I do think the moral argument is the most sound just to answer your question.

I can see the moral position to a point. I would still say that if you're waiting until it's free, you probably don't really care anyway whether the developers get 2 cents from you clicking install via Epic.

The malware and ISP stuff just isn't an issue in this day and age. VPNs are cheaper and easier to use than ever before, and even without, the chances of anything happening are tiny. Same with malware, unless you're trying to download the latest games from the first page of Google, you're going to be okay 99% of the time - we're not in the Limewire days any more.

Again though, I suppose it's that many people still think that that's not the case and that pirating games is somehow dangerous.

And before the moral police starts raining down. I buy games. I use torrent as the best Demo mode you could have.

Aye, I wanna make the same abundantly clear, at the risk of sounding like a broken record. I bought a Steam copy of Cyberpunk even though that game is hilariously easy to pick up for free, but after seeing the launch, people should maybe reconsider what they think about piracy and the potential benefits it might have, i.e. not buying a completely broken game before trying it first. Though Steam's refund service has worked wonders for people in that regard, I guess.

I would say that all of those are basically non-issues in 2020 unless you're literally googling "download free cyberpunk", but I suppose you can't expect most people to know that. I guess it's a matter of prior knowledge.

Again, wanna make it clear that I'm not advocating it, it's just kinda funny to me.
Can we truly be sure that torrents are free of malware? Sure if someone's sharing the gog drm free versions of games that could probably be verified against the actual files by those who bought them. But for cracked versions, that's another problem. Maybe malware and antivirus software can detect all such malware but I somehow think some might still elude detection.

Also torrenting shares ip with everyone you're connected to so unless you have a good vpn or are downloading from some free wifi there's always the possiblity of #2 being fined for legal damages.

I believe with nvidia amd and apple working on arm processors, if x86 can't be competitive we might be witnessing a future move towards arm processors. If that happens legacy windows apps would work through some manner of emulation and you will probably need patches as compatibility issues might come up in the near future for legacy apps.

Last edited:

manfestival

I can see the moral position to a point. I would still say that if you're waiting until it's free, you probably don't really care anyway whether the developers get 2 cents from you clicking install via Epic.
I don't think most people are waiting until a game is free on Epic. It is not a reasonable or realistic assertion. Especially since there is no way of knowing what game is going to be offered for free from Epic. There is only one exception to this and that is Total War Troy but... that game was released free for the first 24 hours. Which is then a different scenario all together. The moral point is just the "feel good" answer. You can download guilt free and that is really all as far as a counter perspective.

Malware and ISP stuff is actually still an issue. My roommate I can thank for reminding me of the ISP stuff back in March when I got 2 cease and desist letters from them. So I completely disagree with your point. This goes to the point of convenience versus inconvenience. Then in that case, you can argue that Epic Games offering these games for free is far more convenient just on the basis of risk alone. I do find the point of just dismissing these things to be disingenuous because you do not deal with them or you have your own methodology of dealing with them. They are still a thing whether you have your own way around them.

I don't think most people are waiting until a game is free on Epic. It is not a reasonable or realistic assertion. Especially since there is no way of knowing what game is going to be offered for free from Epic. There is only one exception to this and that is Total War Troy but... that game was released free for the first 24 hours. Which is then a different scenario all together. The moral point is just the "feel good" answer. You can download guilt free and that is really all as far as a counter perspective.

Malware and ISP stuff is actually still an issue. My roommate I can thank for reminding me of the ISP stuff back in March when I got 2 cease and desist letters from them. So I completely disagree with your point. This goes to the point of convenience versus inconvenience. Then in that case, you can argue that Epic Games offering these games for free is far more convenient just on the basis of risk alone. I do find the point of just dismissing these things to be disingenuous because you do not deal with them or you have your own methodology of dealing with them. They are still a thing whether you have your own way around them.
In terms of convenience I also think the fact they keep all games organized and backed up in their industrial servers, is also quite good. ssds still have limited capacity and hdds can have mechanical failures. Keeping backups of dozens of modern games with their large file sizes is quite inconvenient, when Epic can do that for you for free.

jshackles

In terms of convenience I also think the fact they keep all games organized and backed up in their industrial servers, is also quite good. ssds still have limited capacity and hdds can have mechanical failures. Keeping backups of dozens of modern games with their large file sizes is quite inconvenient, when Epic can do that for you for free.
True - if I had to pirate *illegally back up* all of the games I've gotten for free from Epic, it'd at least be a few terabytes.

AV

Can we truly be sure that torrents are free of malware? Sure if someone's sharing the gog drm free versions of games that could probably be verified against the actual files by those who bought them. But for cracked versions, that's another problem.

Also torrenting shares ip with everyone you're connected to so unless you have a good vpn or are downloading from some free wifi there's always the possiblity of #2 being fined for legal damages.

I believe with nvidia amd and apple working on arm processors, if x86 can't be competitive we might be witnessing a future move towards arm processors. If that happens legacy windows apps would work through some manner of emulation and you will probably need patches as compatibility issues might come up in the near future for legacy apps.

Sure to a point that it doesn't bear thinking about, yeah. I haven't had a virus or malware from a download in... I can't even remember. It's not the wild west of the internet anymore. Not saying they don't exist somewhere out there, but you learn very quickly what's good and what's not. It's like never crossing a road because a car might speed round the corner at 100mph. Same with torrenting, it's just not an issue. Maybe it's more of one in America, but in Europe ISPs largely don't give a shit, and the super cheap VPNs are good enough now that it would eliminate basically all doubt.

The ARM stuff is a future thing, but I guess it bears thinking about.

Your room mate isn't you, though. That wasn't you actively deciding or not deciding to do something, it was your room mate being dumb. I'm not saying that stuff never happens, I'm saying it's so easy these days to avoid that it's down to negligence, not luck. I guarantee he wasn't using a good VPN service and reliable download source. You can say otherwise and I'll still have no idea if it's really true, but that's irrelevant.

It's not a dismissal, it's me saying that they aren't inherent issues. It's like people who don't buy OLEDs because they assume they're probably going to get burn-in, when it's well known by now that you can avoid burn-in by not having the same static UI running on your display for 12 hours a day. That doesn't mean that "OLEDs might give you burn in", it means that "OLEDs probably will give you burn in if you use them poorly". But, people stick with what they heard about them five years ago. Same applies to piracy, really.

But, you're very right that for a lot of people, the sheer convenience of just clicking "go" and not having to put any thought into the above is definitely a benefit. My argument is just that it's not the early 2000s any more and concerns like that are borderline invalid, but that people just have no idea about it. It's the same across the board, if more people knew how easy it was to download any TV show they wanted within minutes, they would never bother with Netflix again - but those who couldn't be bothered and just wanted to watch whatever was on obviously would.

Moogle11

Banned
Doesn’t Epic pay devs something for every free game that is redeemed? I think that’s the case and redeem them all just so devs get whatever tiny payment that is.

Piracy I just don’t do for personal moral reasons. I don’t care what others do, just feels wrong to me and I make good money and can just buy what I want. So I’m not waiting for games to go free. Just redeem them for the reason above and rarely play any as I’ve mostly bought what I want to play before it goes free somewhere. With exceptions of course a d it’s always nice to get something I hadn’t got around to buying yet for free or discover a game that’s up my alley that I hadn’t heard of before.

Last edited:

jshackles

Doesn’t Epic pay devs something for every free game that is redeemed? I think that’s the case and redeem them all just so devs get whatever tiny payment that is.

Piracy I just wouldn’t do for personal moral reasons. I don’t care what others do, just feels wrong to me and I make good money and can just buy what I want. So I’m not waiting for games to go free. Just redeem them for the reason above and rarely play any as I’ve mostly bought what I want to play before it goes free somewhere. With exceptions of course a d it’s always nice to get something I hadn’t got around to buying yet for free or discover a game that’s up my alley that I hadn’t heard of before.
We haven't ever really had any confirmation about how these devs are being compensated by Epic for being included in this long-running promotion. However, if it weren't a fair payout, I doubt that we would still be here talking about it because the practice would have likely died a long time ago.

It's more likely that Epic is negotiating these deals pretty far in advance (so that devs can plan their other storefront sales around them) and likely they are getting a larger up-front one time guaranteed payment rather than something based on the number of people claiming or the number of installs or anything messy like that. Most of the devs that have been included in the promo have been well established, and probably see it as "free money". In the case of Total War, Epic might have included that in their platform exclusivity clause or even partially funded the game itself ala Game Pass.

GloveSlap

I alway forget to keep up with this. I was pissed when i missed Ghostbusters remastered by like 1 day. Hoping for some good stuuf over the next 15 days.

manfestival

Your room mate isn't you, though. That wasn't you actively deciding or not deciding to do something, it was your room mate being dumb. I'm not saying that stuff never happens, I'm saying it's so easy these days to avoid that it's down to negligence, not luck. I guarantee he wasn't using a good VPN service and reliable download source. You can say otherwise and I'll still have no idea if it's really true, but that's irrelevant.

It's not a dismissal, it's me saying that they aren't inherent issues. It's like people who don't buy OLEDs because they assume they're probably going to get burn-in, when it's well known by now that you can avoid burn-in by not having the same static UI running on your display for 12 hours a day. That doesn't mean that "OLEDs might give you burn in", it means that "OLEDs probably will give you burn in if you use them poorly". But, people stick with what they heard about them five years ago. Same applies to piracy, really.

But, you're very right that for a lot of people, the sheer convenience of just clicking "go" and not having to put any thought into the above is definitely a benefit. My argument is just that it's not the early 2000s any more and concerns like that are borderline invalid, but that people just have no idea about it. It's the same across the board, if more people knew how easy it was to download any TV show they wanted within minutes, they would never bother with Netflix again - but those who couldn't be bothered and just wanted to watch whatever was on obviously would.
I know he isn't me but that is downplaying the fact that this is about the risk of it and the fact that it still exists. Which is the point. He wasn't using a VPN but once again using a VPN is circumventing the problem which is entirely a different thing. It is less convenient and would be arguing in favor of using Epic Games.

I understand that argument but I disagree with the application since there is risk involved and that is far more nuanced than OLED burn in. Especially since I am not arguing that you should not pirate something for the fact that you COULD possibly get in trouble for it(I think you have that misconceived notion from this counterpoint you made). However, I do think that burn in is more of an eventuality due to the nature of the organic functionality. Not something that might happen and that actions taken are more to delay this process rather than to prevent it from happening. Though we can argue about that inside of a Best Buy if you would like.

Also I don't agree with your framing of it as these issues of piracy still remain. They may not be as prevalent since piracy is far less appealing and commonplace as they were then. The risks still remain. Yes we have improved our ways to circumvent/bypass these issues as time has passed. Though someone that may not be as tech savvy as you or I would still likely come across these problems. I cannot in good faith argue from my perspective and would not pretend that these issues do not exist/are less prevalent simply because they do not necessarily pertain to me.

• Thoughtful

Daffy Duck

Claim your free games!
Still bigly Hzd? 🤷‍♀️

is this legit? Holy shit that’s an incredible list of game

Get them legally or get them illegally? only one choice tbh so why wonder about peoples thought process?

jshackles

is this legit? Holy shit that’s an incredible list of game
It's from a "leaked" image that started on 4Chan and made it's rounds on Reddit and Twitter. It's 100% fake.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Principle, safety, convenience, someone is getting "money", or at least benefiting from stats and empirical, recordable, marketing data.

• Thoughtful
Top Bottom