• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

Domisto

Between Epic and Twitch Prime I'm getting up to 6 free games a month (normally take at least 4). They are stacking up fast. When I eventually get round to playing them I might not need to buy anything for a long time. It's getting a bit silly.

Mega Man

I have the Epic app and I don't use it but I'd honestly rather buy it on Steam again than play it for free on Epic.
This is so interesting to me. Why do people have this mindset of being loyal to a free game launcher at a cost? What is the thinking behind this? I'm interested, and in no way trying to be critical.

As a new PC cat and former console dude, the exclusivity thing looks much different (obviously) where it costs and arm and a leg to have access to a competitor's library.

Hinedorf

Banned
This is so interesting to me. Why do people have this mindset of being loyal to a free game launcher at a cost? What is the thinking behind this? I'm interested, and in no way trying to be critical.

As a new PC cat and former console dude, the exclusivity thing looks much different (obviously) where it costs and arm and a leg to have access to a competitor's library.

Reasons: The 163 games I have bought on Steam. The friends list I already have on Steam. The reliability of knowing if I buy a game on Steam it's going to be around in the future. Has Epic been around long enough to believe it's sustainable for the long term?

He's my #1 question with Epic. How sustainable is the money from Fortnite? How much of a shelf life does this game have before they need another Unicorn to make all their money for them? In their current practice of buying exclusives they're constantly dipping into their war chest while Steam is being the same consistent company they've always been.

rivv3r

Banned
I've 'purchased' all of their free games so far, but I don't think I'll ever actually install or play any of them. I'm a net drain for Epic's financials.

Ascend

Unfortunately most of those free games I already bought on Steam. I spent a lot of time with Subnautica, for that to be a free game that's a pretty cool offer by Epic.

While I think it's a pretty awesome offer and I'm happy gamers will get to experience some cool stuff they otherwise might skip because of the cost I also recognize that Subnautica is worth the money I paid for it.

I have the Epic app and I don't use it but I'd honestly rather buy it on Steam again than play it for free on Epic. On one side I think it's great people have lots of free options, on the other hand I think a lot of how Epic is trying to get into this business is through very scummy tactics
I understand the argument... But... Even though no one ever thinks about it, in the case that something happens to steam, it doesn't hurt to have your games on another platform also. Especially if you can have a "backup" license for free.

JCK75

I'm tempted to take them purely to cost them money while refusing to contribute any to them.

It looks nice in 4k too (playing on a 2080ti). I'm not normally a fan of crafting games but if it looks good I'll stick around a while and maybe get over the initial learning curve.

edit: I'm guessing it's not free anymore. Duh

Yeah but it's worth a buy for sure. I think the game has a great appeal, but I doubt many actually stay for the full journey.

Mega Man

Reasons: The 163 games I have bought on Steam. The friends list I already have on Steam. The reliability of knowing if I buy a game on Steam it's going to be around in the future. Has Epic been around long enough to believe it's sustainable for the long term?

He's my #1 question with Epic. How sustainable is the money from Fortnite? How much of a shelf life does this game have before they need another Unicorn to make all their money for them? In their current practice of buying exclusives they're constantly dipping into their war chest while Steam is being the same consistent company they've always been.
Thank you for the explanation!

The friends list integration into upcoming games absolutely makes sense. The entire reason I have gone with Xbox instead of PS is due to this (certainly isn't based on exclusives). I understand the concern with the Epic store possibly being unable to sustain once the Fortnite Money has subsided a bit. Unfortunately, this is a risk for all store fronts. The reality is, by the time Epic's money dries up to that point, will you really be playing those games you purchased years ago. I'd imagine an Epic store decline would be a slow burn and something the public would clearly see coming. I can't imagine an overnight collapse directly following some big time releases. Exclusives will have probably dried up by that time assuming a lack of steady income to fund them.

That said, Steam is certainly the more stable platform. If I had a choice between the two (as a new addition to the PC master race) I would purchase from Steam. But who's to say Steam hasn't gotten too big for its britches? With all of this competition, and the fact that the Epic name goes hand in hand with the recent love affair of Fortnite, can Valve sustain? Can it continue to afford all of the work and money it takes to host game after game on its store if the cash flow takes a hit on some of the other killer IP's going exclusive to Epic? These are legitimate questions that cannot be honestly answered by you or me...

Now let's lay the Monopoly man to rest and let some of this competition shake up the market. Whoever offers me the best value and experience is where I will purchase my game. It will be on a game to game basis, as I have a grand total of two friends on my Steam List :)

plushyp

Just got Stories Untold and Rime. Annoyed that I didn't start collecting the free games I didn't already have sooner. Edith FInch and Thimbleweed have been on my list of games to buy. Oh well...

Bullet Club

Enter the Gungeon will be the next EGS freebie.

RtTE2ns.png

Man I can't believe I missed subnautica. I wonder how, I have got everything else. Seems like I'm not the only one who missed it.

Domisto

How long is this one a week thing going to last?

I ain't complaining cos there's some quality games being served up, just struggling to remember to grab them. Epic is buying me a whole new backlog lol.

Last edited:
How long is this one a week thing going to last?

I ain't complaining cos there's some quality games being served up, just struggling to remember to grab them. Epic is buying me a whole new backlog lol.

It was announced at the E3 PC Gaming Show that it will run for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Weekly free games till end of year? Well that is great. Don‘t care for the store at all, but grabbing free shit I will.

I am mostly console peasant, but thankfully most free games are indy enough for my potato to run them.

Grab everything. I regret not doing so. I was gaming on consoles for the past 15 years and I wasn't even thinking about getting a PC. Until few weeks ago when I bought a new PC with 2080TI on an impulse. You never know.

It's the ultimate honey-trap but I don't even care. Gimme the freebies Epic!

Also, anyone with any doubts over Gungeon, don't even hesitate to get it. It is seriously best in class.

Paradicia

How is Epic making money from this? Is it just to garner attention for their platform? Can't see this lasting forever...

llien

How is Epic making money from this? Is it just to garner attention for their platform? Can't see this lasting forever...
They are in crucial phase one: need to get people onto platform.

This way might be cheaper than paying big names for exclusivity.

johntown

Banned
If they offered their ENTIRE store for free I would not bite. I refuse to support a scumbag company like this in any way.

Top Bottom