• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic's Fortnite: first game to use Unreal Engine 4 (PC) [Up3: Panel Video (down)]

Hyped. Also called it. Hope Epic has played SourceForts for research.

Might as well throw another prediction out there then. Windows 8 exclusive or exclusive features using GFWL.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bleszinski and Jessen implied that Fortnite would continue to evolve even after its release, with updates that could drastically change gameplay.

Asked by a fan whether Fortnite would allow for elaborate, Home Alone-style traps that players could build to fend off enemies, Bleszinski said "I don't think we'll have any Rube Goldberg type stuff in the first version, but it's kind of a no-brainer later."

"We're just going to keep adding onto it," Jessen said, implying that Fortnite would continue evolve its systems a la Minecraft.

Asked whether the game would be free-to-play, Epic dodged, saying that it wasn't talking about its pricing plans just yet. No release date for the game was offered, with Jessen saying "We're trying to put the game out as soon as we can."

Kouriozan

Can't wait to have more information about this since e3 2011 >.<
This is taking way too much time, I hate this when someone announce games 2 years before release.

Finally, Epic gets away from the awful Unreal Engine 3 aesthetic.

Sounds like they're considering a Valve approach to the game. F2P + TF2-style items?

Sell cosmetic/other items but allow people to hunt for the same stuff as well. The only problem with that business model is that you can pay so much that your base would become an impenetrable force and the game would cease to be fun. Maybe higher difficulties could solve that.

i dont see this f2p at all

Epic has announced it as a F2P game

it has that same unreal feel, which I loathe, not interested

Unreal feel? It's cartoony with colors and stuff. It looks far removed from the "UE3 feel":

fortnite_comic_con_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Crawl

The prodigal son returns home to the PC! We missed you EPIC! Please continue to make more PC games. (yes i know bulletstorm came to PC)

Jb

Isn't that odd that they're using what's presumably a fairly demanding engine for what is essentially a Minecraft x L4D? Wouldn't you want as many people as possible to be able to run it?

SparkTR

Isn't that odd that they're using what's presumably a fairly demanding engine for what is essentially a Minecraft x L4D? Wouldn't you want as many people as possible to be able to run it?

I image the engine is pretty scalable. This looks like an early showcase of the engine, with all the particle and destruction physics playing a role with the building aspects, so there's probably better reasons for choosing it.

Fou-Lu

I really hope this turns out to be good, because I fucking love the concept and I've been excited about it from the get go.

Orayn

I *love* the look of this game, and I couldn't be happier that Epic of all people are showing off their next-gen engine with something that's not gritty, bloomy, and grimdark.

I image the engine is pretty scalable. This looks like an early showcase of the engine, with all the particle and destruction physics playing a role with the building aspects, so there's probably better reasons for choosing it.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was like CryEngine 3 where performance is potentially better on equivalent hardware.

Sean

Banned
I love the art style of this game and the concept interests me. Hopefully my computer will be able to run it, if so I'll certainly give it a shot.

Riggs

Banned
Ok fuck it.

I am officially on the hype train.

Not only is it UE4, but it's PC exclusive? Epic is really winning me back : )

I love their 360 stuff, but just the fact that they have the balls to do a PC exclusive makes me so happy. I think Epic realizes that this game just wouldn't work on current gen consoles, they would have to down scale the thing so much. Maybe this is a message to MS/Sony to get their shit together next gen spec wise. Most likely not, I read into things way to much.

Either way cannot wait to see how my computer handles this.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Epic has announced it as a F2P game

Unreal feel? It's cartoony with colors and stuff. It looks far removed from the "UE3 feel":

fortnite_comic_con_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Its called unreal the actual first game before it turned dude bro. Either you remember that epic once could work with colors or you don't.

I sure hope there's more enemy variety, not just those ones on the screenshots

Hyped

I'm a sucker for anything with killing zombies

Jonm1010

Banned
Goddamn some people are harsh toward anything unreal.

I'd bet if this thread only had the screenshots and a quote saying it was a next gen game from an unknown developer no one would be shitting on the look of the game.

Not really. The shading and colors look almost identical to Team Fortress 2. Would you say that game has the same "disgusting unreal sheen" to it?

Yep it's shamelessly copying TF2's style. Take away the Unreal/Epic name from the OP and people would have no idea it was running on UE. I don't get this backlash for UE games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The idea of a survival based multiplayer game where you have to build up defenses sounds great. I also quite like the art style shown in those screenshots.

Hyped!

Yep it's shamelessly copying TF2's style. Take away the Unreal/Epic name from the OP and people would have no idea it was running on UE. I don't get this backlash for UE games.

Valve doesn't own the patent on cartoony games with guns. I think the art style looks pretty distinct, actually.

Lots of colors and hair. Mind you tons of UE3 games had both those things, yet people continued to insist on "lol brown no colors" "lol bald space marines"

Hoping for a trailer soon.

Top Bottom