• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic's Fortnite: first game to use Unreal Engine 4 (PC) [Up3: Panel Video (down)]

Valve doesn't own the patent on cartoony games with guns. I think the art style looks pretty distinct, actually.
True, I was just trying to make a point about the "gross Unreal sheen" the other guy was referring to. It's definitely a similar look but has enough diffs to standout.

Everyone looks like the Scout
That was the first thing I noticed

SparkTR

Doesn't look much better than UE3 tech wise.

But the art style is great!

People were saying that about the UE4 tech demo as well, until they demoed the particle, lighting and destruction physics. Hopefully this will be full of that stuff.

The artstyle looks very similar to Bloody Good Time, but nobody remembers that game. RIP Outerlight :(

x3sphere

I think this looks pretty interesting. Love the art style. So what if it resembles TF2 in some ways? Still looks unique.

Lancehead

I like the prospects of this game, being PC exclusive and all. Looks like CliffyB was right about Epic branching out from "fancy scripted Hollywood experience". Not that I thought he was being disingenuous.

Veal

I'm liking the look of this. Cool to see Epic going with a cartoon style with their flagship UE4 title!

DR3AM

next gen is finally here. whoo hoo

looks really good imo, especially for a tech that is still in development.

Looks good to me, but with a style like this it'll be the animation quality that makes or breaks it.

Considering they can't even get hands holding weapons right in 2 of those bullshots, I'm not expecting much. Zombie textures looks pretty bad too. I'm hoping the gameplay is great, love me some coop zombie base building. Played die2nite for a few months, was great.

rac

Banned
I really want someone to make a minecraft/dayz clone now. Even if this game isn't that it actually looks pretty interesting.

JordanN

Banned
so we finally reached Toy Story graphics
Naw, still some years away. Try again maybe, 2016 (prehaps even longer)?
AHO6g.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Naw, still some years away. Try again maybe, 2016?

In terms of overall image quality, maybe. Lighting and certain shading techniques certainly look better in real-time now than the stuff you found in Toy Story.

Sibylus

Banned
Love the concept, but I'm not sure how the art sits with me (unfavorably, if it goes hand in hand with defusing tension instead of building it).

Jonm1010

Banned
I will say I like developers chasing a more artistic approach to games over the uber realistic trend most continue down.

It really does wonders for mitigating that feeling of the uncanny valley during the games entire story and often times does a better job of immersion.

hiryu

Looks and sounds pretty great. So weird that it's PC exclusive, I think that guarantees it is F2P or it would be on the nextgen systems. Nice to see Epic back in the PC fold. Maybe consoles are dying sooner than people think if a company like Epic is releasing PC and iOS exclusives. Must want to get more of the type of money Infinity Blade brings them in.

Aesthet1c

Seriously this is one of my most anticipated games right now.

I love the concept of it. The survival aspect of Minecraft was always my favorite part, it just felt underdeveloped.

If the survival aspect of this is the focus, and they do it well, with a better building/crafting system than Minecraft, then I am there Day 1.

Also, this has to be PC exclusive or next gen. There is no way current consoles could run a game like this with the intricate building they have talked about.

i-Lo

http://i.imgur.com/AHO6g.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Perhaps in motion, it may as well be.

After the lava knight demo, this looks fantastic. Love the art direction. To think this is just the first iteration of UE. If we know one thing, it is that Epic will continually upgrade UE4 like they did with UE3.

Can't wait to see this in motion.

Pertaining to UE3 screen vs UE4, it looks like the real time shadows are better. Also, no more (or few iotas of) pre-baked shadows mean much more time saving for development. And let's not forget the bokeh. UE3 could never do proper bokeh. It always had a problem with edge detection in the foreground (in fact, most of the titles this generation have the same issue. It could be down to DX9). UE4 comprehensively solves this issue and is now on par with CryEngine in that regard.

In terms of overall image quality, maybe. Lighting and certain shading techniques certainly look better in real-time now than the stuff you found in Toy Story.
Yup, prman was really limited in lighting techniques. Toy Story only really excels in a handful of areas. Mostly it's just the fact that it's crisp and beautifully animated. Game animation systems need to step up and that's something I'm looking for in UE4.

I don't really think Fortnite is a game that is going to flex UE4's muscles. I think it's the game Epic's artists want to make coupled with already successful concepts. It'll probably have great lighting, and some fancy particles but it's driven by the art not the tools. And I think Gears probably was too, way back when what it did wasn't done to death.

JordanN

Banned
Depends. How many games have light that decays/intensifies? Toy story also had some impressive material effects. Like the copper on the R/C car actually reflects light as according to its properties.

AHO6g.jpg

AA seems to be the #1 bottleneck blocking graphics like that. It's always fucking AA/jaggies that's the problem, am I right? I'm not sure the smoothness of that pic and other CG movies will be achieved unless there's some revolutionary new solution to needing AA.

StevieP

Banned
AA seems to be the #1 bottleneck blocking graphics like that. It's always fucking AA/jaggies that's the problem, am I right? I'm not sure the smoothness of that pic and other CG movies will be achieved unless there's some revolutionary new solution to needing AA.

Then there's that whole problem of ray-tracing.

segarr

Too true. You look at the textures and stuff of that pic and it's nothing impressive. The modeling like on the bed post is perfectly round but that can be achieved with more polygon pushing power and tessellation. The smoothness however, man, even those supersampled screens with tons of AA you see in the PC screenshot thread don't come close to it.

Top Bottom