• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN begins purging talent today

Status
Not open for further replies.
What hard hitting analysis are they missing out on? On which subject?

Baseball Tonight compared to MLB Tonight is pretty different. On MLB tonight they'll have the guys go into a small studio field to further explain what they're seeing and could have gone wrong. MLB tonight just has a lot more flexibility and room to breath in analyzing the games during their air time. ESPN only offers them limited time slots and they just have to motor through highlights

It'd be nice if they could just cover hockey with any kind of regularity or analysis

winjet81

All the people who think "I don't care I don't like sports I'm glad I don't have to pay for espn now" you have no idea how many channels have been completely subsidized by espn for years now, coming in packages to the cable companies, and this could very easily result in the death of plenty of things you do like. The primary reason Disney merged with ABC was to get espn and as that diminishes, so will Disney's willingness to do less profitable or more niche projects. We've already seen them basically completely bail on making video games because it wasn't profitable enough. So yes, this is a very bad sign for things across the board whether you care about sports or not.

Cable TV dying. Nothing wrong with that.

knicks

People still have disposable income. It just shifted from outrageously priced TV plans to outrageously priced phone plans.

It's a lot more than just that. A lot of millennials rely on their parents' cable subscription to access many channels, including ESPN. With the evolution of using applications to watch media, you need one user account to browse content. A family of seven can all watch ESPN using Watch ESPN in all parts of the country...under one account.

effzee

Baseball Tonight compared to MLB Tonight is pretty different. On MLB tonight they'll have the guys go into a small studio field to further explain what they're seeing and could have gone wrong. MLB tonight just has a lot more flexibility and room to breath in analyzing the games during their air time. ESPN only offers them limited time slots and they just have to motor through highlights

It'd be nice if they could just cover hockey with any kind of regularity or analysis

The MLB channel, like the NFLN, NBATV, and other stations owned by a sport, OF COURSE, have much more freedom, content, and the analysis to delve deep into the intricacies of their sport.

ESPN doesn't. And why would it?

The issue about the NHL is brought up time and time again and I have always said ESPN's content is ratings driven. They talk about the NFL the most all year long, then the NBA, and then MLB. NASCAR, NHL, and other sports like Tennis/Golf get some time but nearly enough as some fans would like. This isn't the result of some ESPN boss who creates content based on his personal sports preferences.

It is all about what brings in the most viewers. ESPN has covered the NFL Draft since the moment the Super Bowl ended but I don't even think the MLB draft is aired. The NBA draft comes close but still isn't the juggernaut the NFL is. Why is ESPN going to devote resources or airtime to shows and sports which don't bring in viewers?

I dont care about sports or anyone on ESPN but I am damn glad that they are being hurt so much because of their shitty overpriced fees. Isn't it something like $10 of every TV service is just ESPN? Want Disney channels? Can't get them without ESPN too.
If you watch ESPN's content across their various properties (the mothership, the deuce, 3, U, News, W...), $10/mo is a hell of a deal.

entremet

If you're not a talking head, you're not safe it appears. Reporting has really become a commodity in the Twitter age.

Danny Kanell out

Yup. Adnan Virk talked about it on the "Russillo and Kanell" opening (any other guys comment about a layoff yet on air?). I liked that show as background noise and a good not crazy alternative to First Take. He doesn't really do anything "special" but I liked him.

yyr

ESPN and FS1 are turning to personality programming rather than "sports" programming.

This is exactly why I'm no longer interested.

SportsCenter used to be my go-to "leave it on in the background" show, and this was as recently as a few years ago. Now it's a lot more talking and a lot less highlights. Some time ago, midnight SportsCenter was replaced by a show also called "SportsCenter" but it seems like it's mostly commentary. That's...not SportsCenter. I flipped over to Fox Sports Live a few months ago, thinking that maybe they had a good alternative, but...yeah, no.

I see people saying "the highlights are on Twitter" or "social media" or whatever. What? I'm a casual sports fan. I don't understand why I should have to spend time on social media looking for highlights, or following specific sports/teams, or having to spread my focus between multiple leagues' networks, when all of it could just have been brought to me in one convenient 60-minute block, like it already was just a few years ago.

Is there anywhere I can still watch this sort of thing on TV, or is it gone forever?

Cable TV dying. Nothing wrong with that.

This may be hard for some to believe, but there are still people out there (like me) who couldn't care less about Netflix/Hulu and still get their TV from TV.

If you try to take my Buzzr network away I will END you.

This is exactly why I'm no longer interested.

SportsCenter used to be my go-to "leave it on in the background" show, and this was as recently as a few years ago. Now it's a lot more talking and a lot less highlights. Some time ago, midnight SportsCenter was replaced by a show also called "SportsCenter" but it seems like it's mostly commentary. That's...not SportsCenter. I flipped over to Fox Sports Live a few months ago, thinking that maybe they had a good alternative, but...yeah, no.

I see people saying "the highlights are on Twitter" or "social media" or whatever. What? I'm a casual sports fan. I don't understand why I should have to spend time on social media looking for highlights, or following specific sports/teams, or having to spread my focus between multiple leagues' networks, when all of it could just have been brought to me in one convenient 60-minute block, like it already was just a few years ago.

Is there anywhere I can still watch this sort of thing on TV, or is it gone forever?

You don't have to do anything, but you can understand the realities of the business model and market, and understand that a lot of people use Twitter or IG to read about breaking news, or see the latest highlight reel dunk or catch seconds after it happens, and this severely impacts ESPN's business even if it's not your particular thing. You could also understand that "we are the channel that people listen to in the background and half pay attention to" is not an ideal or sustainable business model for ESPN even if it was really convenient for your specific needs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You don't have to do anything, but you can understand the realities of the business model and market, and understand that a lot of people use Twitter or IG to read about breaking news, or see the latest highlight reel dunk or catch seconds after it happens, and this severely impacts ESPN's business even if it's not your particular thing. You could also understand that "we are the channel that people listen to in the background and half pay attention to" is not an ideal or sustainable business model for ESPN even if it was really convenient for your specific needs.

Don't forget YouTube. All of the sports have specific channels with highlights. You don't even have to go fumbling through Twitter like the poster complained about.

Brinbe

No surprise there. These are easy cuts for them and journalism in general is a lousy industry to be involved in at this point. Also, those billion dollar contracts, that are currently a boon for these teams/leagues will turn out to be a shitty investment as more and more people purge cable from their expenses. That's a bubble that's going to burst and it's gonna wreck the economics of sports in profound ways. Because those contracts won't be feasible going forward and I wonder how these leagues will react when those salary demands will recede instead of fluctuating upward.

And I think ESPN has finally learned that people watch for the brand, not for the personalities or writers. They can let the likes of Skip Bayless, Stephan A, Simmons, Berman and pretty much every big name on that network etc go and not feel the effects in the slightest. They are all replaceable. And Fox Sports is a dead-end and their attempts to capitalize on those sports names and "hot take culture" have been a disaster so far.

Yup. Adnan Virk talked about it on the "Russillo and Kanell" opening (any other guys comment about a layoff yet on air?). I liked that show as background noise and a good not crazy alternative to First Take. He doesn't really do anything "special" but I liked him.

Love adnan and ryen together

yyr

you can understand the realities of the business model and market, and understand that a lot of people use Twitter or IG to read about breaking news, or see the latest highlight reel dunk or catch seconds after it happens, and this severely impacts ESPN's business even if it's not your particular thing.

So it sounds like you're saying "there is no longer a 60-minute show consisting of highlights from around the world of sports because there is no longer a demand for one," yes?

This is one of those times when I wish we had statistics showing how many of these youngun whippersnappers actually get the majority of their sports content this way.

TraBuch

Banned
Thank god Kanell is gone. Dude was obnoxious as fuck. Hope he gets another job where he's not allowed to talk on TV.

mnannola

How much of this is cord cutters fault vs. how people are consuming sports information these days?

If the ratings for NBA/NFL etc. are not going down, but ratings for SportsCenter etc are, then maybe people just don't want to watch these guys drone on and on with uninteresting filler between actual games?

bchamba

Not sure, but almost anything would be an improvement on Russillo & Kanell.

Yea I only listen to Le Batard

Also noticing on twitter the people complaining that Russillo & Kanell are going away but "trash" like HQ and Le Batard are still on the air all seem to have one thing in common

Malvingt2

@jaysonst
For 17 yrs I've had a dream job covering baseball for ESPN. Today is my last day. Thanks to all the great people at ESPN, MLB & all of you!

wtf!! o_O

Love adnan and ryen together

Yeah, that will probably be a better show, but I still enjoyed the "blandness" of Kanell as a sort of counter point to the other shows going on at the same time. Guess I'm the only one.

Also noticing on twitter the people complaining that Russillo & Kanell are going away but "trash" like HQ and Le Batard are still on the air all seem to have one thing in common

Lol. As someone who will miss Kanell, fuck no. HQ and Le Batard's morning show are the best thing on the network.

MisterR

Yep, Le Batard and Bomani are the only radio shows they have worth listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom