• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN begins purging talent today

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yeah people being really short sited or just plain misinformed if they think this is an espn exclusive problem. Fox Sports 1 is floundering for a lot of the same reasons.

But FS1 doesn't have anywhere near the operational expenses that ESPN has. That's why ESPN had to dump these folks, and that's why FS1 could easily hire this talent if they want. FS1 also doesn't cost anywhere near as much for providers to carry the network, so it'll be less impacted by future changes in this space.

Just leave Around the Horn and PTI alone and I'm fine.

Jayson Stark, gone.

WHAT

17 years covering baseball there. Always good to listen to. Shit man.

Holy shit.

I don't pay attention to ESPN baseball stuff anymore, but I can't believe he's out. I used to read his stuff all the time.

So it sounds like you're saying "there is no longer a 60-minute show consisting of highlights from around the world of sports because there is no longer a demand for one," yes?

This is one of those times when I wish we had statistics showing how many of these youngun whippersnappers actually get the majority of their sports content this way.

Considering the major changes both ESPN and Fox Sports 1 have made to their format yes, there is no real market for that outside of like ESPNnews or something.

The statistics are evident in the way ESPN is going through the same issues print media, or tv news is going through. The news itself is no longer a commodity because it's everywhere. "Stay tuned after the break to see what LeBron James just did against the Warriors!" is no longer viable because I can see what LeBron just did against the Warriors all over my twitter feed from several different angles.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
But FS1 doesn't have anywhere near the operational expenses that ESPN has. That's why ESPN had to dump these folks, and that's why FS1 could easily hire this talent if they want. FS1 also doesn't cost anywhere near as much for providers to carry the network, so it'll be less impacted by future changes in this space.

FS1 ratings are like beyond in the shitter. Nobody watches. Either cause they don't like fox, they don't like the FS1 setup, or the masses are too used to just going to ESPN.

At some point the ratings have to turn no matter how cheap of an operation they try and run.

They also aren't bringing in anywhere near the ratings or I have to imagine revenue. They keep throwing around money at ex-espn stars like they are mid 90s WCW and it is going to blow up in their faces. The reason espn is struggling is because less and less people are wanting the traditional sports network format, they aren't going to magically start liking it again because Fox puts a new coat of paint on it.

Brinbe

NHL being purged completely lol. Something extremely hilarious about that. I think MLS has a bigger footprint now. But wow @ Stark being gone, he was one of their veteran MLB guys. Wonder who else gets gone by the end of the day. Have to wonder if sites like Undefeated and 538 will be eventually axed as well.

And lmao, COME ON. They could easily cut every Kornheiser/Wilbon, all those guys from ATH and hire random nobodies off the street and those shows will still be absolutely fine. People watch because it's default/defacto programming on the major dominant cable sports network with easy to digest formats. No one gives two shits who's actually on those shows. That's what ESPN is now realizing.

Anyway, the only thing that sucks is that the quality of their reporting/sports journalism will probably go further into the shitter now. And their big market/big star focus will undoubtedly get even worse and unbearable as time goes on. COWBOYS, LEBRON, YANKEES, TEBOW, NFL NFL NFL ALL DAY EVERY DAY

Sanjuro

Could this actually be a better and more cost efficient produck?

YLsHe5e.jpg

Vanillalite

It's also worth noting we don't know the contracts of these people.

Jayson Stark being a 17 year vet at ESPN could have had a bloated contract even if people like him.

NHL being purged completely lol. Something extremely hilarious about that. But wow @ Stark being gone, he was one of their veteran MLB guys. Have to wonder if sites like Undefeated and 538 will be eventually axed as well.

And lmao, COME ON. They could easily cut every Kornheiser/Wilbon, all those guys from ATH and hire random nobodies off the street and those shows will still be absolutely fine. People watch because it's default/defacto programming on the major dominant cable sports network with easy to digest formats. No one gives two shits who's actually on those shows. That's what ESPN is now realizing.

lol I don't like PTI even and I'll tell you that's wrong. I like Reali, and ATH would be even more hot garbage without him.

The fact that Jemele Hill has a job is beyond me.

She adds nothing compared to a lot of the people let go today.

She is the face of their newly reconfigured SC and probably one of the faces of the network. I don't care for her either but it's not that hard to figure out why she is staying while a bunch of people who don't actually draw viewers aren't.

She is the face of their newly reconfigured SC and probably one of the faces of the network. I don't care for her either but it's not that hard to figure out why she is staying while a bunch of people who don't actually draw viewers aren't.

That 6PM Sportscenter is an absolute joke.

She adds nothing from the journalistic aspect, and her voice and opinion are super grating.

effzee

Considering the major changes both ESPN and Fox Sports 1 have made to their format yes, there is no real market for that outside of like ESPNnews or something.

The statistics are evident in the way ESPN is going through the same issues print media, or tv news is going through. The news itself is no longer a commodity because it's everywhere. "Stay tuned after the break to see what LeBron James just did against the Warriors!" is no longer viable because I can see what LeBron just did against the Warriors all over my twitter feed from several different angles.

No man things were different 10, 15, 20 years ago and I miss that. Take that ESPN surely losing this talent and the layoffs will have ESPN revert back to what made it good for me personally!

The fact that Jemele Hill has a job is beyond me.

She adds nothing compared to a lot of the people let go today.

She's is a host/anchor. What do you want her to add? That's like rooting for Lindsay Nariniac to get fired.

Hate to see people lose their jobs, but... I cracked a smile at Dilfer. He'll be fine unless he snorted or gambled away his millions anyway.

And this is a result of ESPN turning into a Fox News or CNN. It's no longer about news. It's about screaming hot takes for entertainment value. With people ditching cable services they're just getting their sports news elsewhere. This is a good thing imo. I want news. Not bad reality entertainment thinly veiled as news.

Brinbe

lol I don't like PTI even and I'll tell you that's wrong. I like Reali, and ATH would be even more hot garbage without him.

It's not wrong because it's the truth. With the reach ESPN enjoys, they could easily replace Reali with random GAFer and the ratings will be the exact same. Anyone can reward meaningless points and give their opinion on current day sports topics and get paid significantly less to do so.

Like when anyone watches the 6 PM or 11 PM sportscenter, do they tune out because their favorite host isn''t on there? They watch because that's what people do out of habit. But as others have said, there are ways to get that information faster and easier now more than ever. The only thing keeping them going, along with all those regional sports channels, is that NBA/NFL/MLB/College Sports content, but those enormous contracts won't be worth it at some point, as these continual cuts make clear now.

No man things were different 10, 15, 20 years ago and I miss that. Take that ESPN surely losing this talent and the layoffs will have ESPN revert back to what made it good for me personally!

She's is a host/anchor. What do you want her to add? That's like rooting for Lindsay Nariniac to get fired.

My point is, that she hardly seems like she earned it, I know it's subjective, but when you look at the older names of people who hosted SC, she can't hold a candle to them.

"Nariniac" lmao

Vanillalite

It's not wrong because it's the truth. With the reach ESPN enjoys, they could easily replace Reali with random GAFer and the ratings will be the exact same. Anyone can reward meaningless points and give their opinion on current day sports topics and get paid significantly less to do so.

There is some truth to this. It's also Dan always says you see people who leave ESPN, and then their careers tank cause people don't actually care about most of the people.

ESPN creates the stars. The stars don't create ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom