• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN: Giants defend Eli Manning amid claim of false memorabilia

Status
Not open for further replies.

krae_man

So what, did Eli not like changing gear or something?

It's not hard to change jerseys and helmets while on the sidelines, at halftime etc. There's probably a whole machine there to facilitate this.

Tedesco!

In 2012 autographed and game-used sports memorabilia was a $1.5 billion dollar market in the U.S., in 2013 that market increased to $2 billion. Eli Manning was also the top selling autographed, game-used memorabilia athlete.

It's a big blow to a fast growing industry.

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/snapshot-of-sports-memorabilia-industry

2UVtv14.png

Fast growing industry? It's been around for over 20 years.

Big-E

I guess he ha's nothing else to worry about as winning football games ain't happening anymore. Might as well make some more change hustling marks.

The guy donates and raises millions for children's charities. I could give a fuck if he rips off some scumbag memorabilia sellers.

BizzyBum

Lots of sports memorabilia and game used shit is a giant scam anyway.

I worked for Steiner Sports for a year right after I graduated college and I heard lots of stories of warehouse people "touching up" signatures and whatnot.

Hey, if you're a big fan and have loads of cash then whatever, but I think this stuff is the biggest waste of money ever.

chidrock

It doesn't sound to me like Eli was trying to pull something shady on this; it sounds more like he just doesn't get it (the industry and the mentality of collectors) and he was asking the equipment manager to get him something that would be in line with what he was supposed to provide to Steiner.

After seeing the way that Eli plays and handles himself over the years, I don't see him as a guy that would purposely try to pull a fast one the way that they are implying. I could see it being a case of him not understanding the value of the things to other people.

If you think about it, he's been around the stuff all his life and who knows how sensitive he is to it. His family doesn't seem to be very materialistic (going by what you can actually see).

Eli is a con-artist. Tarnished reputation, take away his Man of the Year awards.

Guy is trash now anyways, gonna have a year, maybe two left before he is tossed aside.

JABEE

When does Brady get arrested for his team's fraudulent championships inflating the value of his signature?

Seriously who the fuck would wants Eli manning memorabilia anyways ?

That's like wanting a Dreamcast for Christmas but getting a sweater knitted by your grandmother

I just dont get why he they didnt give game worn helmets instead...or anything. They have thousands of pieces of garbage equipment they could give.

Marquis

Banned
unreal, can't play he would cheat in the NFL. Absolutely tasteless and uncalled for. Deserves a four game suspension at the very least.

I'm imagining these being Steiner Sports' words as well, to be honest.

"Listen, it doesn't have to be exactly worn by you or anything. Just whatever you can get for us that can pass as yours, capisce?"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Is he not personally arranging to sell fans bogus merchandise? Am I misunderstanding the story and accusation?

Manning sent an email to Giants head equipment manager Joe Skiba asking for "two helmets that can pass as game used."

Unless you think Manning has no idea his memorabilia partner planned to sell these to trusting fans.

Unless you think Manning has no idea his memorabilia partner planned to sell these to trusting fans.

Any fan that trusts memorabilia sellers are already suckers. I don't feel bad if they buy a "game worn" jersey that's signed by some forger in the warehouse.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Unfortunate and definitely not good... but meh.

If not for the email it would be impossible to know the difference. Shows how silly this is. Shouldn't have done it and perhaps pay a fine and apologize or whatever.

Parch

Any fan that trusts memorabilia sellers are already suckers. I don't feel bad if they buy a "game worn" jersey that's signed by some forger in the warehouse.
Sports memorabilia is serious business, and there are legit ways to get authenticated stuff from reputable dealers. But yeah, there is TONS of fake shit out there. It was so bad back in the 90's that even the FBI warned that random signed items had an 80% chance of being forged.

Tripon

Yeah, and that's because of shit that Manning is accused of that they're supposedly suckers. So why are you supportive of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom