• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Esquire: The State of The American Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
I didn't even know this was a problem. Thanks for sharing.

I'm pretty suspicious of the bite estimates. How many can identify a pitbull mix these days?

I didn't even know this was a problem. Thanks for sharing.

I'm pretty suspicious of the bite estimates. How many can identify a pitbull mix these days?

That's one of the main problems too. Breeds get misreported a lot, and the statistics mostly come from those media sources. The stories about pit bulls have a much further reach too. On the other hand when it's a story about one of these breeds saving their owner's life or something, they tend to not even mention the breed at all

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/in_defense_of_the_pitbull_partner/

Breed misidentification plays a significant role in the stigma attached to pit bulls. It’s difficult even for experts to properly identify a breed of dog. A study published in the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science ($$) found that “87.5% of the dogs identified by an adoption agency as having specific breeds in their ancestry did not have all of those breeds detected by DNA analysis.”

That problem is compounded by media sensationalism. Karen Delise studied every fatal dog bite reported in the years between 2002-2005, and found that “eleven dogs involved in fatal attacks with no Pitbull characteristics were counted as Pitbulls, while their ‘true’ breeds were not reported, and three dogs that were clearly not Rottweilers were identified as Rottweilers.” That was among a total of 47 fatal attacks (by all breeds) reported during that period.

This dog was involved in a fatal attack and the media called it a pit bull…

According to Delise, this dog was reported as a pit bull despite the fact that animal control officers told reporters that she was in fact a Labrador mix…

This kind of misidentification creates a feedback loop, as most studies of fatal attacks rely on media reports for breed identification.

The media’s role in amplifying the public’s fear of pit bull-type dogs was evident in a study conducted by the National Canine Research Council in 2008. When an Arizona woman was killed by one or more dogs identified as Labrador retrievers, one local newspaper reported the story. But that same year, when a California man was killed by one or more pit bulls, the incident was reported “by at least 285 media outlets, both nationally (in 47 U.S. states) and internationally (in eight other countries). MSNBC, Forbes, USA Today, Fox News, CBS News, and ABC News all picked up the story.”

And when an infant in New Jersey was reportedly killed by a Siberian husky, around a dozen local news outlets reported the tragic incident, according to the study. But when another infant was killed by what authorities described as a pit bull in Nevada the same month, it was reported by over 200 media outlets around the world, often with the word “pit bull” in the headlines. Like shark attacks, our perception of the risk associated with these dogs has a lot to do with this kind of sensationalism.

http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-c...ut-the-issues/pit-bull-bias-in-the-media.aspx

Animal control officers across the country have told the ASPCA that when they alert the media to a dog attack, news outlets respond that they have no interest in reporting on the incident unless it involved a pit bull. A quantitative study by the National Canine Research Council of dog-bite reportage in a four-day period proves that anti-pit bull bias in the media is more than just a theory—it’s a fact.

August 18, 2007—A Labrador mix attacked a 70-year-old man, sending him to the hospital in critical condition. Police officers arrived at the scene and the dog was shot after charging the officers.
This incident was reported in one article in the local paper.

August 19, 2007—A 16-month-old child received fatal head and neck injuries after being attacked by a mixed-breed dog.
This attack was reported on twice by the local paper.

August 20, 2007—A six-year-old boy was hospitalized after having his ear torn off and receiving a severe bite to the head by a medium-sized, mixed-breed dog.
This incident was reported in one article in the local paper.

August 21, 2007—A 59-year-old woman was attacked in her home by two pit bulls and was hospitalized with severe, but not fatal, injuries.
This attack was reported in over 230 articles in national and international newspapers, as well as major television news networks including CNN, MSNBC and FOX.

Along with over-reporting, false reporting is a major contributor to the public relations nightmare currently facing pit bulls. There is an emerging tendency for all short-haired, stocky dogs to be called pit bulls—and when a dangerous dog’s breed is unknown, the media is not above assuming that the dog involved must have been a pit bull. The National Canine Resource Council terms this phenomenon “Everything is a pit bull, whether it is or not.” In the rush to publish, the pit bull label is often inaccurately applied—and even if a correction is later made, the damage is done. Not all media bias is necessarily intentional, but it forms an impression on the public and on legislators nonetheless.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
So when the pit owner has their dog on a leash, is controlling their dog, and the dog of some shit owner who won't leash it comes up and starts shit, we're supposed to blame the pit when the little dog gets hurt?

Are you fucking serious?

Correct. Change "dog of some shit owner" to "child of some shit parent" and "hurt" to "fucking dead." Hopefully you'll see the issue. Of course it's the weapon and the weapon owner's fault.

Again, I love dogs and frankly I love pits. But they are DANGEROUS AS FUCK. They are loaded weapons and that the very best owners love them, protect them, cherish them, and leash them with all controls possible still can't control them, stop them from attacking "dogs of shit owners"/children/old ladies, and are literally terrified of the day they do should tell you something. There's no mystery here.

Leunam

Again, I love dogs and frankly I love pits. But they are DANGEROUS AS FUCK. They are loaded weapons and that the very best owners love them, protect them, cherish them, and leash them with all controls possible still can't control them, stop them from attacking "dogs of shit owners"/children/old ladies, and are literally terrified of the day they do should tell you something. There's no mystery here.

You're making a lot of assumptions about the owners and the dogs here. This sounds similar to how people once reacted to Rottweilers and other breeds that are deemed to aggressive.

Correct. Change "dog of some shit owner" to "child of some shit parent" and "hurt" to "fucking dead." Hopefully you'll see the issue. Of course it's the weapon and the weapon owner's fault.

Sounds like victim blaming on the dog, to me, honestly.

No, I don't see the issue. I don't expect ANY dog owner, let alone pit owners, to police the fucking world. People who have dogs, any dog, have a responsibility to watch their dog, regardless of size. Owners of little dogs are just as responsible for the actions of their dogs as owners of large dogs.

Again, if some little dog comes up, starts attacking a big dog, and gets hurt when the big dog defends itself, there is 0 there that is on the big dog. Nothing. Nada. It's all on the owner of the little dog for not handling their dog properly. It's like the canine version of "don't start none, won't be none".

Pretty much the same feeling when it comes to kids. There are numerous dangers in the world besides just dogs, you need to watch out for your kid. We were taught "don't go up to dogs without asking the owner". It's what we taught my niece and nephew.

Again, I'm not terrified my dog might get out and hurt someone. I'm terrified my dog would get out, and some judgmental douchebag is going to shoot her on sight just because she looks vaguely pit like.

huxley00

Sounds like victim blaming on the dog, to me, honestly.

No, I don't see the issue. I don't expect ANY dog owner, let alone pit owners, to police the fucking world. People who have dogs, any dog, have a responsibility to watch their dog, regardless of size. Owners of little dogs are just as responsible for the actions of their dogs as owners of large dogs.

Again, if some little dog comes up, starts attacking a big dog, and gets hurt when the big dog defends itself, there is 0 there that is on the big dog. Nothing. Nada. It's all on the owner of the little dog for not handling their dog properly. It's like the canine version of "don't start none, won't be none".

Pretty much the same feeling when it comes to kids. There are numerous dangers in the world besides just dogs, you need to watch out for your kid. We were taught "don't go up to dogs without asking the owner". It's what we taught my niece and nephew.

Again, I'm not terrified my dog might get out and hurt someone. I'm terrified my dog would get out, and some judgmental douchebag is going to shoot her on sight just because she looks vaguely pit like.

I actually don't really agree with this. The damage the little dog can do is minimal whereas a large dog could easily kill a person or a smaller pet. I don't even think this is a pit bull issue, this is a large/muscular/imposing dog issue, one of the most imposing looking happen to be a pit bull, thats all there is to it really.

I actually don't really agree with this. The damage the little dog can do is minimal whereas a large dog could easily kill a person or a smaller pet. I don't even think this is a pit bull issue, this is a large/muscular/imposing dog issue, one of the most imposing looking happen to be a pit bull, thats all there is to it really.

So because the little dog can't hurt the big dog as easily, the big dog is just supposed to stand there and take it? Fuck that nonsense. Big or small, you handle your dog. End of story. Just because your minpin or chihuahua can't do as much damage as my girl doesn't make it okay for your dog to be off its leash.

Little or big, no child should be going up to a dog without its owners permission. Little are actually more likely to bite at all, even if I readily admit the damage potential of a big dog is higher. Aren't dachshunds the number 1 biting breed? Sure, they won't kill a kid in one bite, but let's not pretend that every bite by a large dog is fatal either.

Keep in mind, I'm not writing either size dog off. All dogs should be handled by their owner at all times when in public. All. Big and small. I don't give small and medium dogs the free pass that some of you give, while at the same time decrying big dogs as 'dangerous weapons that could go off at any moment' or whatever idiotic bullshit it was.

huxley00

I don't know, I completely see what your saying, but I guess I just see things differently. If a child hits an adult, you don't hit back as you could really injure them whereas they can't really hurt you. I'm not saying its fair, but thats just how I see it. If you're going to own a more dangerous dog, you should shoulder more of the responsibility to ensure it is under control.

huxley00

I guess, for some perspective, let me just tell you about my dog that I had when I was a kid.

We had a good sized German Shepherd, good dog, great with us kids. A neighbor comes over one day, we start wrestling, my dog thinks I'm in trouble and takes a chunk out of that kids leg. We had to put him down.

I guess this is the type of thing I'm talking about. He was a great family dog, but he thought I was in danger. His size just made him way more dangerous than a smaller dog, regardless of breed.

Koppai

Dogs are also protective of their owners. It's an instinct they pick up when they live with you. My dog doesn't bite anyone but will bark really nasty until he sees them a few times. Like my boyfriend or best friend he always comes up to them and wants to be pet. He is a purebred black lab but I admit he is untrained. He got out of the house for a few hours a month or so ago and when I tried to approach him he was disoriented and had his tail between his legs and started running away until I called out to him.

There are many different factors but I know my dog would fight with another dog if he didn't know it real well. But he really is the sweetest dog, he was actually attacked by my other dog when he was a baby. He will growl but never bites unless he is just playing.

Dogs are very instinctual. My friend had a mean dog that would bark and growl and after an hour or so of being there is hopped on the couch next to me and laid on her back for me to scratch her belly. But then the other girl tried to pet her and it snapped at her. I didn't touch the dogs face at all.

The real problem is that they will let people adopt a dog without any kind of training at all. Maybe there should be special training for people who want a pitbull. But that would just lead to more people not wanting them I guess.

Common sense says to teach children not to just go up to any dog and assume it is friendly and never get too close to it.

We have the friendliest black lab in the world, and we train him for proper behavior, socialize him with people and kids, etc. I still will keep him away from anyone who doesn't feel comfortable around him, always obey leash laws, and generally try to not push dog culture on people who aren't interested.

I won't let a pit bull anywhere near my wife or son. I don't care if your Lucky is the "sweetest dog ever." It's not happening. Same goes for dobermans. If that makes me part of the problem, I'm fine with that.

This article reads like a #notallpitbulls apology piece. I've known enough people who have been bitten by a pit (any number of different breed configurations) to care. Get a different, friendlier breed or be prepared for people to be uncomfortable around your dog, discriminate against it, and ultimately sue your ass if your dog attacks them, their kids, or pets.

jonnyp

From the August 2014 issue of Esquire magazine. The full article is longer and does a great job encompassing a lot of different facets of this topic, so I would suggest reading the whole thing if you have any interest. I think it's one of the best pieces i've read on the subject so far.

I'm a dog lover and grew up with dogs and been around them my whole life. But pit bull terriers can go fuck off, and especially the people who decide to own such an animal.

We have the friendliest black lab in the world, and we train him for proper behavior, socialize him with people and kids, etc. I still will keep him away from anyone who doesn't feel comfortable around him, always obey leash laws, and generally try to not push dog culture on people who aren't interested.

I won't let a pit bull anywhere near my wife or son. I don't care if your Lucky is the "sweetest dog ever." It's not happening. Same goes for dobermans. If that makes me part of the problem, I'm fine with that.

This article reads like a #notallpitbulls apology piece. I've known enough people who have been bitten by a pit (any number of different breed configurations) to care. Get a different, friendlier breed or be prepared for people to be uncomfortable around your dog, discriminate against it, and ultimately sue your ass if your dog attacks them, their kids, or pets.

The article is way more nuanced than "a #notallpitbulls apology piece" and I'm kinda sad that that's all you got out of it. I'm glad you're a responsible dog owner though, I am in the same boat - I have an inordinately friendly black lab mutt who wants to meet everybody and she stays on the leash because not everybody is comfortable with dogs and not everybody wants to say hi to her.

I don't think avoiding pitbulls makes you "part of the problem." It's not a problem that could be solved by everyone in the country simultaneously deciding that pitbulls are great. The problem actually described in the article is way more nuanced, and has to do with the vagaries of the breed classification, media narratives, the demographic composition of groups that breed and fight pitbulls, increased surrender rates due to pressure from insurance companies, etc.

this is Penney, our rescue and I'm sure she has some Pit in her. She is also the sweetest kindest and loving dog there is. She can and has eaten from the hand of a 4 year old. She will not bite or snap and recognizes the words "Ow' and "ouch" and if she does something that causes those words to comer out then she will stop what she's doing and lay down. You can have any dog but train your dog like you would train to own a firearm.

The article is way more nuanced than "a #notallpitbulls apology piece" and I'm kinda sad that that's all you got out of it. I'm glad you're a responsible dog owner though, I am in the same boat - I have an inordinately friendly black lab mutt who wants to meet everybody and she stays on the leash because not everybody is comfortable with dogs and not everybody wants to say hi to her.

I don't think avoiding pitbulls makes you "part of the problem." It's not a problem that could be solved by everyone in the country simultaneously deciding that pitbulls are great. The problem actually described in the article is way more nuanced, and has to do with the vagaries of the breed classification, media narratives, the demographic composition of groups that breed and fight pitbulls, increased surrender rates due to pressure from insurance companies, etc.

No, I did read the article and understand the nuances presented. It's just that I couldn't care less about it. I dislike pit bulls, don't consider it a breed that should be around in a domesticated environment, and won't let one near my family members. I'm heavily biased against them and have seen enough dangerous behavior from the pit breeds to back up my preconceived notions about pits. I'm aware of my bias and unlikely to change, which is ultimately the issue with pits. The cat is out of the bag in terms of how people perceive the dogs, and perception is reality.

No, I did read the article and understand the nuances presented. It's just that I couldn't care less about it. I dislike pit bulls, don't consider it a breed that should be around in a domesticated environment, and won't let one near my family members. I'm heavily biased against them and have seen enough dangerous behavior from the pit breeds to back up my preconceived notions about pits. I'm aware of my bias and unlikely to change, which is ultimately the issue with pits. The cat is out of the bag in terms of how people perceive the dogs, and perception is reality.

That's completely and totally legit - that's a call you get to make as an independent person, about what you feel safe exposing yourself and your family to. You don't even need to have information to be within your rights to make that call! I'm mostly objecting to your characterization of the article, since I found it way more nuanced then you appeared to give it credit for.

My friend has a rescue pit but he has to keep him In his kennel when company is around because it tends to kind of snap and bite people out of nowhere. I'm played with him and he's always nice but there's been more than a handful of incidents of someone getting their nose or cheek bit and needing stitches. A guy was dancing in the backyard a few weeks ago and the pit just pounced on him. It could clearly be a misinterpretation on the dogs or part or wanting to play. He's just so strong and big.

I know this comment is neither here nor there, and I don't really have a judgement, but it's hard to figure out if it's the dog upbringing or a breed issue. I don't run from fear when he's around but I am always on alert that something could happen at any moment, because it has, and that's a scary thing.

My friend has a rescue pit but he has to keep him In his kennel when company is around because it tends to kind of snap and bite people out of nowhere. I'm played with him and he's always nice but there's been more than a handful of incidents of someone getting their nose or cheek bit and needing stitches. A guy was dancing in the backyard a few weeks ago and the pit just pounced on him. It could clearly be a misinterpretation on the dogs or part or wanting to play. He's just so strong and big.

I know this comment is neither here nor there, and I don't really have a judgement, but it's hard to figure out if it's the dog upbringing or a breed issue. I don't run from fear when he's around but I am always on alert that something could happen at any moment, because it has, and that's a scary thing.

Is the dog fixed? That can be a pretty big factor too

An estimated 4.7 million dog bites occur in the U.S. each year
Nearly 800,000 dog bites require medical care
Approximately 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, 94% of which were not neutered
Approximately 25% of fatal dog attacks involved chained dogs
Approximately 71% of bites occur to the extremities (arms, legs, hands, feet)
Approximately two-thirds of bites occurred on or near the victim’s property, and most victims knew the dog
The insurance industry pays more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims each year
At least 25 different breeds of dogs have been involved in the 238 dog-bite-related fatalities in the U.S.
Approximately 24% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs off of their owners’ property
Approximately 58% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners’ property

What can dog owners do?

Spay or neuter your dog.

Neutering reduces aggression, especially in males. Un-neutered dogs are more than 2.6 times more likely to bite than neutered dogs. Female dogs in heat and nursing moms are much more dangerous than spayed females, and their behavior can be unpredictable. Talk to your veterinarian to schedule an appointment, or contact your local humane organization or animal shelter for information on low-cost spay/neuter assistance.

Supervise your dog.

Dogs left on their own may feel uncertain and defensive, or even overly confident, and this poses risks to your dog, as well as to other people and dogs. Eighty-eight percent of fatal dog attacks among 2-year-olds occurred when the child was left unsupervised.

Train and socialize your dog.

Be sure your dog interacts with and has good manners around all members of the family, the public and other animals. Basic training is as important for the owner as it is for the dog, and socialization is the key to a well-adjusted adult dog. It is essential that puppies between 8 and 16 weeks old be exposed to a variety of people, places, dogs and other animals. As dogs age, do your best to continue their exposure to these things to ensure that they are well socialized throughout their lives.

Restrain your dog.

Twenty-four percent of fatal dog attacks involved loose dogs that were off their owner’s property. Dogs that are allowed to roam loose outside the yard may perceive your entire neighborhood as their “territory” and may defend it aggressively. By obeying leash laws and taking care to properly fence your yard, you will not only be respecting the laws in your community, but you will also be helping keep your dog safe from cars, other dogs and unforeseen dangers.

Unchain your dog.

Chained dogs are 2.8 times more likely to bite. Tethering or chaining dogs increases their stress, protectiveness and vulnerability, thereby increasing the potential for aggression. Fencing is the better solution.

Mumei

... Come on.

Your perception that pit bulls can barely considered domesticated and are inherently unsafe does not make that a reality. I'm not saying that you haven't had any bad experiences, but a few bad experiences are not a justification for a belief in stereotypes.

And to be clear: It's one thing for you to say that you don't feel comfortable around them. That's your prerogative, after all. It's another for you to claim that people shouldn't be allowed to own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom