• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ET found in landfill [Xbox troll = ban]

klaus

Neo Gaming Age Forums

OMG!!!

9svWkJR.gif

that's what it stands for?

Quite a day to remember, two great discoveries about gaming history were made yesterday.

Was it really an urban legend? In "The Ultimate History of Videogames" it is stated as a fact if I remember correctly. New York Times wrote in 1983:

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/28/business/atari-parts-are-dumped.html

The actual burial was never in doubt, since it was reported on at the time and freely admitted by Atari. The contents were never really revealed and have been disputed ever since.

The legend is whether they buried 3.5 million copies of E.T. down there, which Atari denied (unsurprisingly, it would be pretty damning for the guys who were in charge at the time if true). Over the years people have conflated the E.T. claim with the burial itself.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I always assumed Atari scrapping a bunch of ET carts was fact. What surprises me is that it literally was A landfill. It's like the cartoon version of events is exactly what happened.

jimi_dini

Nope. Steven Spielberg added the rifles back for the bluray release.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/30/et-blu-ray-no-walkie-talkie/

Really?

Fuck, I almost didn't buy the E.T. steelbook for 6pounds from zavvi. I thought it was still the modified version. Is it still enhanced or is the 100% unmodified version? I think I heard some podcast, where they said that Spielberg wanted to release the unmodified version and regrets that he modified the original at all.

I wonder what this all is about. I doubt that Microsoft will release an E.T. game on the bone, but who knows...

panda-zebra

The photos they posted are so underwhelming.
I expected / wanted to see boxes and boxes of the stuff.

User Joeh1974 claims to live close to the site and visited there on the day in this epic thread on AtariAge. He posts some interesting background and details of just how much was taken out of the ground on the day. As they're treating the exercise as any archaeological dig, they're not simply going to rip masses of the stuff out of the ground to spread it all around just for photo opportunities, they'll be doing the standard recording and cataloguing techniques they always employ.

But yeah, I don't think you'll be the only one wanting to see the truckloads of Atari goodies piled high!

Hopefully there are more than just 1000s of each of the common games mentioned so far, no idea how long they plan on working this site or to what extent, but would be amazing to see if there is anything a bit more obscure/rare/proto-flavoured in there.

R_Deckard

Ha Ha! Brilliant just Brilliant...I would have loved to have been there when they dug it up.

They should have had Jones Jnr in there though...and a large Bolder!

eoa-swam

Some of these post make me feel the same way as I did when people found out the Titantic was real.

Pretty sure the joke was pretending it was mythical.

Is this a joke? The Titanic existed, people didn't go out searching to see if it was real.

Occam

Au contraire, it's exacty what happened here. Keep in mind the truth that was disputed was that the excavation team went to the landfill and dug out countless E.T. games that had been buried there for decades. First people mocked the fact, then there were pages full of peopling doubting the excavation was for real and now we're at the point where most say that it has been obvious for years. I recommend reading the whole thread, it's very enlightening.

If you carefully observe the posts you will notice that the people who believed it to be a myth or hoax are not the same who assumed it to be real all along. Mind blown?
I for one wrote a scientific paper on the history of the video game industry about a decade ago in which I mentioned this story; after evaluating the sources available to me I reached the conclusion that it was indeed true, as did many others.

what's happening here?

People laughing around a table with McDonald's very obviously arranged so the Microsoft promotion shows on camera clearly?

Microsoft is so hamfisted in their marketing it is actually hilarious and off-putting.

I remember when this happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsiXfW75598

Their product placement actually feels like it's interrupting whatever its in just to sell me something. It's disgusting.

feel

This is pretty awesome. I always assumed it was real, but it's pretty great to see confirmation and actual pictures.

And thank you mods for making this an enjoyable thread to follow.

The reason people thought it was an urban myth is that it's a story that predates the internet. When it first started circulating you couldn't just google the website of the local paper to find the details, and most people never bothered investigating further. Also, there was genuine doubt about whether the carts had been destroyed before they were buried.

People laughing around a table with McDonald's very obviously arranged so the Microsoft promotion shows on camera clearly?

Microsoft is so hamfisted in their marketing it is actually hilarious and off-putting.

Their product placement actually feels like it's interrupting whatever its in just to sell me something. It's disgusting.

Almost as bad as Kevin Spacey's interest in the PS Vita on House of Cards.

Bold One

Holy shit, I just noticed the Xboxone watermark... this was a MS event? wow!

I mean.....wow!

did the anyone even tell a joke? or are they just laughing because- reasons....

The reason people thought it was an urban myth is that it's a story that predates the internet. When it first started circulating you couldn't just google the website of the local paper to find the details, and most people never bothered investigating further. Also, there was genuine doubt about whether the carts had been destroyed before they were buried.

I love the 'evidence' that everybody knew about was actually posted on the front page of the Alamogordo Times, or whatever. That's like me expecting somebody in New Mexico to know which well-known drug family got busted last weekend in Redcar because it made the front page of the Evening Gazette.

I can tell you, from experience and living through it that we did not know that this was true. It was unconfirmed rumour and hearsay, and it remained that way. Something went on with the surplus stock, we knew because of the crash, but the idea that they moved them out to the desert and buried them in a hole, really was a fanciful notion in the 80s.

schwupp

Oh GOD, I'm dying

I can't believe they think that shit is okay. I mean at least the demographic that buys tablets intersects with the one that watches Elementary, how do you market a toy with House of Cards of all things?

in show context it kind of fits since the character plays games .... or scrap that the whole gaming thing is marketing ;o

klaus

If you carefully observe the posts you will notice that the people who believed it to be a myth or hoax are not the same who assumed it to be real all along. Mind blown?
I for one wrote a scientific paper on the history of the video game industry about a decade ago in which I mentioned this story; after evaluating the sources available to me I reached the conclusion that it was indeed true, as did many others.

If you carefully read my quote you will notice that it refers to how truth is recepted in 3 different stages - I was not questioning your (or any other specific poster's) prior knowledge about the "facts" in any way, but how truth itself was received in this thread, and how the typical pattern showed up of many people first ridiculing / not believing it, with a change to "it was clear all along" (find me any poster in the last pages that is still doubting the facts). Clearly there have been many people like yourself that have known it to be true for a long time already, since they have researched / found believable sources that support the fact. But that's not how the public reception of truth works (in this case the public of active posters in this thread).

So perhaps we are disagreeing because we are using a different frame of reference. Kudos about the paper btw, do you have a link? I'm fascinated by the history of video games and its industry - really love books like "Racing the Beam".

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm glad they eventually found them.

LOL at the quality grey in this thread.

It was a pretty cool day out there. I mean as cool as a day can be un an old landfill. The one I am holding in the photo was the very first one they found. There area a TON more down there and the story is developing on exactly how many.

Oh and nice 'shop of my head.

I laughed, you're a pretty good sport.

Looking forward to the documentary, I always believed it though cool that the stuff was found.

mr_toa

It was a pretty cool day out there. I mean as cool as a day can be un an old landfill. The one I am holding in the photo was the very first one they found. There area a TON more down there and the story is developing on exactly how many.

Oh and nice 'shop of my head.

Great, look forward to getting the final tally :)

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
i'm skeptical that's a genuine story. Especially with Major Nelson involved.

Most of the TV shows we watch nowadays are fictions.

Top Bottom