• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ET found in landfill [Xbox troll = ban]

MMaRsu

Banned
It was a pretty cool day out there. I mean as cool as a day can be un an old landfill. The one I am holding in the photo was the very first one they found. There area a TON more down there and the story is developing on exactly how many.

Oh and nice 'shop of my head.

Are you guys bringing back Voodoo Vince or something?

Also very sceptical of this being legit.

I am certain the dig was real, but don't for a second believe they didn't know exactly where to dig or that they wouldn't find something. This passed to urban legend through denials and the near impossible ridiculousness of it, not because it was a rumour.

I'm surprised they knew where to dig

*puts tin foil hat on* today there are tons of fake stuff and etc so who knows.

but loved the pics and reading so I hope there's videos soon

Recall

I'm surprised they knew where to dig

*puts tin foil hat on* today there are tons of fake stuff and etc so who knows.

but loved the pics and reading so I hope there's videos soon

They've known where they were for a very long time, it was just the red tape that but a halt to it for a long time.

Bessy67

Any photos of all of the cartridges?

There are some photos on Xbox Wire with a bunch in 5 gallon buckets.

atari%20dig_evidence.jpg
http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/ent-atari-dig

So, still no evidence (images) to suggest they found more then 3 games?

Are you for real? Ign posted videos of a front end loader scooping piles of defender and et carts in boxes.

Also they aren't excavating the entire landfill. If you look at the plans posted earlier its a very large trench that contains the Atari material. They are only excavating less than 10% of it.

Theres no need to dig up a million carts only to have them thrown away again,

i'm skeptical that's a genuine story. Especially with Major Nelson involved.

Most of the TV shows we watch nowadays are fictions.

There was an official 50 page document that was submitted to the city with their plans for the dig. They had to do planning for hazardous materials, plan where the trash that was dug up would go, comply with OSHA standards for gases released into the air by the dig. They had a public viewing area planed and the exact small area of the landfill that they would dig specified.

There were literally hundreds of people who had visibility on this in order for it to happen. There's no way its a hoax and with with all that they knew about the landfill no need for it to be.

Nibiru

Banned
It looks like a place they dumped a lot of Atari games not just E.T. The video in fact shows more Asteroids cartridges than E.T.

Kind of spoils the "neat" factor knowing that it wasn't just E.T. but also some of their most popular games.

If this is for the TV show doesn't this kinda, ruin the ending? Why would you watch the show for the 'will they, won't they' if we already know.

Isn't it funny that the game that represents an industry crash is literally rising from its grave in a moment where it would be successful as a free to play mobile game?

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
There was an official 50 page document that was submitted to the city with their plans for the dig. They had to do planning for hazardous materials, plan where the trash that was dug up would go, comply with OSHA standards for gases released into the air by the dig. They had a public viewing area planed and the exact small area of the landfill that they would dig specified.

There were literally hundreds of people who had visibility on this in order for it to happen. There's no way its a hoax and with with all that they knew about the landfill no need for it to be.

I'm still skeptical, sorry.

Neat! I wonder if they'll find old prototype hardware and carts there. There were a few titles announced in those old upcoming product catalogs that I was thinking about and they never appeared. Lots of unreleased Atari 8-bit computer and 2600 games...

I'm still skeptical, sorry.
Who the hell is going to stage a finding of a bunch of old video game trash by dumping a bunch of it in a place only to dig it up on film?

jet1911

For people wondering why they look like that, newspaper reports at the time mention that they were run over by trucks (or excavators) before being buried.

Really? Burrying them wasn't enough? Haha. Poor ET. :(

Also lol @ the conspiracy theory/hoax/sceptical people. Come one guys.

Vee_One

If this is for the TV show doesn't this kinda, ruin the ending? Why would you watch the show for the 'will they, won't they' if we already know.

It's a documentary - the point is the journey. Take "The Armstrong Lie" - I know he cheated but I want to know more about it and how.

Having said that - I'm not sure if this will be compelling viewing but I am definitely interested so will check it out.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Who the hell is going to stage a finding of a bunch of old video game trash by dumping a bunch of it in a place only to dig it up on film?

Who has already paid for a potential story/documentary?

Who has already paid for a potential story?

Yes, that's a possibility, but the show they're producing isn't about the E.T. landfill site. Why would it be when that has been covered in detail well before now and, by itself, doesn't offer enough meat to fill up an hour or longer documentary about Atari, the first face for video games. Sounds like a pretty unlikely thing to do, especially when the public was invited to view the excavation.

saunderez

Where'd they get them from? I can't imagine it's easy to buy copies of E.T. these days. So are you telling me someone went and had thousands of fake retail packed 2600 games manufactured, then crushed them under an excavator, buried them, then came back and excavated them again at a later date when the public were there to see it? That's a ridiculously elaborate hoax for a documentary. I'm gonna go with Occam's Razor on this one.

jaypah

O_O DAMN that game must have really been fucking garbage for them to bury it!

The game isn't good. It's far from as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it's a shit game. But the level of shittiness has risen through hyperbole over the years.

saunderez

The game isn't good. It's far from as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it's a shit game. But the level of shittiness has risen through hyperbole over the years.
Yeah its about as bad as half the 2600 games were. They just went all in on it for some stupid reason. I think the Superman game was equally bad.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm going to need to see a lot more than three copies to not think these were planted there by the producers of the documentary.

I ain't falling for that Storage Wars bullshit.

Calling bullshit.

Planted to promote MS's documentary.

EDIT: Seems more legit now it says that they found a load more.

The "urban legend" is that there were literally hundreds of thousands of copies of ET buried.

I see one copy of ET. In relatively good condition.

This smells like utter reality TV bullshit....at least until some better photographic evidence turns up. If they really discovered a cache of thousands of games I don't understand why they only took a few pictures of single copies. Methinks some desperate production assistant was searching for "Atari" on eBay a few days ago.

That's because this is a hoax. The real burial site of these cartridges was supposedly in Texas, not New Mexico.

They probably planted them there.

Until I see a picture of hundreds of carts this can be anything.

You're right. I read it wrong.

Still faked, however.

How can this shit get rained on and whatever stuff mother nature threw on this site and still be in the shape its in? I'm calling bullshit.

I heard the landfill was filled in with concrete though.

And aside from that those cartridges are in near-pristine condition.

Calling bullshit until proven otherwise.

Ya, until I see a pic or video of at least a few thousand of these, I'm going to go with this being a hoax.

I think so too. It would be a failure of a documentary if they came back empty handed.

They don't look like they have been in a landfill for 30+ years they look like they were staged too look like they were buried for 30+ years especially the centipede cart in a brand new looking bag. Shit looks fake as hell.

I'm not saying this is fake but LOL at Larry and that hard hat. It looks way photoshopped on.

I'm having a hard time believing this is true but I guess it is.

Still don't believe it until I see hundreds of them at least.
They could have easily planted them.

I thought the rumor was a milllion copies buried. This seems staged.

welp

They should rebury all of them ET copies, erect a monument and put on a placard that says "This place is not a place of honour...no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here."

jaypah

Yeah its about as bad as half the 2600 games were. They just went all in on it for some stupid reason. I think the Superman game was equally bad.

I feel Superman was worse. Like you said, there were a ton of horrible (some damn near pointless and unplayable) 2600 games.

Fox_Mulder

Where'd they get them from? I can't imagine it's easy to buy copies of E.T. these days. So are you telling me someone went and had thousands of fake retail packed 2600 games manufactured, then crushed them under an excavator, buried them, then came back and excavated them again at a later date when the public were there to see it? That's a ridiculously elaborate hoax for a documentary. I'm gonna go with Occam's Razor on this one.

I'm still waiting for a photo with more than 3 E.T. cartridges.

Why are people relating this to xbox one !? (im sincerely not trolling, I saw some posts somewhere else and it was relating to xbox one...) if anyone could explain (maybe by pm) i'd appreaciate.

saunderez

I feel Superman was worse. Like you said, there were a ton of horrible (some damn near pointless and unplayable) 2600 games.

You know, from all the times I tried to play Superman, I never figured out what I was supposed to do. I just liked going into the phone booth and transforming into Superman then flying through the various screens. Good times.

klaus

I really really don't understand why you feel it necessary to post here - you obviously are not willing to do the slightest bit of research (there are TONS of sources out there, even back in the 80s the NYT already reported about the dumping, there are photos from back then, there are photos and videos from dozens of people and reporters that have been there yesterday, even GAFfers in this thread, we have official documents regarding the landfill and it's contents, an eye witness living at the city there that had even snatched a few of the cartridges back in the 80s and so on), yet you just come up with wild conspiracy theories using (I am sorry) lousy arguments ("Major Nelson was there" "Most TV shows are fiction anyways).

So basically, you have nothing to contribute to this thread. Why do you write here?

Why are people relating this to xbox one !? (im sincerely not trolling, I saw some posts somewhere else and it was relating to xbox one...) if anyone could explain (maybe by pm) i'd appreaciate.

Unsold X1 systems = E.T.-type failure = funny to some douchebags on the forum = banned. Basically, it's dumb people running a dumb joke into the ground over and over again and contributing nothing.

Briarios

There is a photo with at least 9 on the page you posted on ... Come on, what is wrong with people? Not everything is a freaking conspiracy. People just play contrarian roles and ignore actual facts just for the hell of it. It's neither cool nor beneficial to any adult discussion.

You don't even need his razor, Occam, in this very thread, wrote a scientific paper proving it actually happened.

You've already identified yourself as a skeptic, I'm afraid a 1000 crushed boxes will not be enough to convince you. Also, there are photos with packing boxes of about 10 cartridges each available in this very thread. But like I said, nothing will be enough for you.

just people trying to be a smart ass about the unsold Xbox Ones. still ctrl+f-ing through the amount of bans on this thread.

Unsold X1 systems = E.T.-type failure = funny to some douchebags on the forum = banned. Basically, it's dumb people running a dumb joke into the ground over and over again and contributing nothing.

X1 isnt selling bad to be related to ET...cant find relation.

Thank you for explaining =) I thought it waas something to do with major nelson or something.

saunderez

They've been linked on this page. Buckets full of compressed retail boxes. Compressed by an excavator. Like the news reports said they were when buried. If you can't accept something this simple is true then I don't know what to say. Maybe reality is a lie and we're all living in a simulation. Maybe the Moon is made of cheese. Without more evidence I'll never be able to know for sure.

Top Bottom