• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 remake: official website launched, soundtrack preview

Ooooh yes! Can't wait! Now have more than one save file, please!

I just want a "Classic" and "Story" button in the main menu and each having their own unique save file, but I'm going to go ahead and guess that they won't do that.

I'm buying the game digitally and physically so I'll play both or just Story > Classic.

Santiako

Er..... no. Persona 5 still supposed to come out this Winter. No way in hell they're going to have PQ2 out barely a few months after the original game.

As for EO5... I personally see it on 3DS, not 4DS, though that would depend when the 4DS comes out.

Oh, for some reason I thought that P5 was next year.

Absolutely love everything I'm seeing thus far. These characters seems more appealing than Untold's, not that Untold's were bad mind you.

And that music. Ohhhh...it is still divine.

I never found anything wrong with EO1:U's arrangements, so this should work just fine.

That cast is blechier looking than the last crew, though. I swear Himokai's getting WORSE instead of better.

crobuzon

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to this as well...eventually! I don't regret playing the original Etrian Odyssey despite knowing Millennium Girl was being made, but I feel like it will be a while before I can play it. I'm currently in the middle of EOII and really enjoying it, I'm sure I can beat it before this one comes out. :) Then on to EOIII.

Nachos

I just want a "Classic" and "Story" button in the main menu and each having their own unique save file, but I'm going to go ahead and guess that they won't do that.

I'm buying the game digitally and physically so I'll play both or just Story > Classic.

Persona Q has a neat feature where you have three save files on the cartridge and can create an additional nineteen on the SD card.

Considering Untold 2's giving us an additional four colors and seem to be revamping the entire auto-walking system, I'd hope they'd keep any accessibility and functionality improvements to the engine.

Persona Q has a neat feature where you have three save files on the cartridge and can create an additional nineteen on the SD card.

Considering Untold 2's giving us an additional four colors and seem to be revamping the entire auto-walking system, I'd hope they'd keep any accessibility and functionality improvements to the engine.

I didn't know that, that's probably because the Persona team was involved... damn I hope we get several save files.

I hadn't heard about the 4 color thing, when was that revealed?

Yeah I just really wish there was a non-dungeon crawler RPG to look forward to on 3DS

EO is life, EO is love.

Well there's Pokemon, Bravely Second, and Fantasy Life.

Good thing I just got into the series yesterday, played the EOU demo for a few hours and now I'm waiting for my copy to show up tomorrow...

It is for every country that isn't called Japan.

Untold is going to be your first game? interesting. Story mode kinda kills the big point of EO which is character creation and customization but let us know if you like it. Unless you play Classic of course.

I never found anything wrong with EO1:U's arrangements, so this should work just fine.

That cast is blechier looking than the last crew, though. I swear Himokai's getting WORSE instead of better.

Don't you dare talk bad about Himukai in my presence, he's godly.

Nachos

I didn't know that, that's probably because the Persona team was involved... damn I hope we get several save files.

I hadn't heard about the 4 color thing, when was that revealed?

They showed the bottom screen during some points of the reveal trailer, and there were four more colors. They've also gotten rid of the auto-walk arrows completely. Oh, and during Arianna's section of the trailer, they had a fullscreen illustration, so it looks like the overall presentation is improving, too.

Please be a tolerable cast this time. Pleaaaase. If they want to push story mode to the forefront then at least make it interesting not obnoxious.

But yeah excited and everything for the dungeons and music and all the new features they're bound to add. The new mixes give me dem feels.

They showed the bottom screen during some points of the reveal trailer, and there were four more colors. They've also gotten rid of the auto-walk arrows completely. Oh, and during Arianna's section of the trailer, they had a fullscreen illustration, so it looks like the overall presentation is improving, too.

I might be blind, but I can't find the moment when they show that.

Please be a tolerable cast this time. Pleaaaase. If they want to push story mode to the forefront then at least make it interesting not obnoxious.

But yeah excited and everything for the dungeons and music and all the new features they're bound to add. The new mixes give me dem feels.

I'm not that big of a fan of EO2 and the new music still hit me hard on the feels department. EO2 has a great OST.

Nachos

I might be blind, but I can't find the moment when they show that.

Which part? The illustration is one of the floating background images at around 00:30, and the new map features are at 00:57. Coincidentally, something clearly Grimoire-related is in the lower right corner, but you just can't see the entire screen.

Which part? The illustration is one of the floating background images at around 00:30, and the new map features are at 00:57. Coincidentally, something clearly Grimoire-related is in the lower right corner, but you just can't see the entire screen.

Yeah I saw all that, I was talking about the 4 color thing.

Also, I hope they made the Grimoire system better, I didn't like it in Untold.

I was terrible with the Grimoire system. I never felt like I got the most out of it and honestly felt a bit overwhelmed at times so I hope there are some changes as well.

Kazerei

Banned
With Grimoire Synthesis, you can pack a Grimoire Stone with all the skills you want. But I found the process rather tedious, having to scroll through a list of 100 Grimoire Stones to pick out the ones you want. The UI could use some improvement there. I thought it was cool that you can pick up enemy skills, but it sucks that Grimoire Stones are randomly generated.

Kazerei

Banned
Grimoire system was introduced in Etrian Odyssey Untold, the EO1 remake. It's sort of like subclassing, but worse. Looks like Grimoires will be returning in the EO2 remake :\

tuffy

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the Grimoire System is coming back, but I'll be disappointed if they don't streamline the UI to make it less daunting for people. Exactly which features you're yanking from each one in order to build a new one should be more obvious, I thought.

With Grimoire Synthesis, you can pack a Grimoire Stone with all the skills you want. But I found the process rather tedious, having to scroll through a list of 100 Grimoire Stones to pick out the ones you want. The UI could use some improvement there. I thought it was cool that you can pick up enemy skills, but it sucks that Grimoire Stones are randomly generated.
This is exactly what made me not use it much. I just couldn't find or make the stones I wanted or I just felt like I was making good use of them. Not to mention I had so many of them and I was progressing throught he game fine enough.

KarmaCow

Yea the idea itself wasn't all bad but it was just too tedious to get anything worthwhile from it. The UI definitely needs work, not being able to fuse a stone that is currently equipped without first going out of the menu to equip screen and then back to the fusion screen is some awful Pokemon PC bullshit.

I'm kinda torn about the randomized skill acquisition though. The series for the most part moved away from randomized drops but even with the items to boost chances, there are far too many levels of RNG to getting a skill from an enemy. But at the same time, if it were easy to choose which skills to capture it could be too easy to create uber parties with little downsides. The whole system is at odds with the meticulous play style that EO encourages.

ohlawd

lol you guys should check out the grimoire stones I used in EOU.

Such garbage. shit better be streamlined this time around

I would much prefer several save files overall, but one each for both modes would be better than just one overall, so I'd take it.

Yea the idea itself wasn't all bad but it was just too tedious to get anything worthwhile from it. The UI definitely needs work, not being able to fuse a stone that is currently equipped without first going out of the menu to equip screen and then back to the fusion screen is some awful Pokemon PC bullshit.

I'm kinda torn about the randomized skill acquisition though. The series for the most part moved away from randomized drops but even with the items to boost chances, there are far too many levels of RNG to getting a skill from an enemy. But at the same time, if it were easy to choose which skills to capture it could be too easy to create uber parties with little downsides. The whole system is at odds with the meticulous play style that EO encourages.
Yeah the potential is there to make the system really good. i.e. It felt so good to give my Medic some powerful magic spells to use as a result of stone mixing.

But that was the exception. At the end of the day it always felt like I was randomly tossing stones together to make something useful.

L~A

4Gamer.net got lots of new pics, but nothing really new. Maybe someone can rehost+embed? If not, I'll do it myself later.

プロデューサー&ディレクター
小森 成雄
(代表作:世界樹の迷宮1~3 新・世界樹の迷宮など)

モンスターデザイン
長澤 真
(代表作:世界樹の迷宮シリーズなど)

キャラクターデザイン
日向 悠二
(代表作:世界樹の迷宮シリーズ、吉永さん家のガーゴイルなど)

サウンド
古代 祐三
(代表作:イース、アクトレイザー、世界樹の迷宮シリーズなど)

Can anyone translate the names?

033.jpg

034.jpg

Seems like they are changing the Grimoire system, I hope it's for the better.

Tovarisch

Floor jump...
3Eqt06d.jpg

I like that they paint a unique images of dishes, it would be great if they did the same with weapons and equipment.
bs1zLyB.jpg

Can't decide which theme I love most, 3rd or 5th stratum.

プロデューサー&ディレクター
小森 成雄
(代表作:世界樹の迷宮1~3 新・世界樹の迷宮など)

モンスターデザイン
長澤 真
(代表作:世界樹の迷宮シリーズなど)

キャラクターデザイン
日向 悠二
(代表作:世界樹の迷宮シリーズ、吉永さん家のガーゴイルなど)

サウンド
古代 祐三
(代表作:イース、アクトレイザー、世界樹の迷宮シリーズなど)
Can anyone translate the names?

Producer & Director
Shigeo Komori

Monster Design
Shin Nagasawa

Character Design
Yuji Himukai

Sound
Yuzo Koshiro

Zweizer

Banned
Seems like they are changing the Grimoire system, I hope it's for the better.

Fingers crossed for a less RNG-reliant system.

Floor jump...

I like that they paint a unique images of dishes, it would be great if they did the same with weapons and equipment.

Would be great if they made a more detailed Compendium. I do like reading through the lore when taking a break from explorating. I have mixed feelings about Floor Jump though. If they rebalance the game while taking account of it, that'd be good, but otherwise I fear it'll significantly cut down the challenge of exploring the dungeon.

Can't decide which theme I love most, 3rd or 5th stratum.

The correct answer is the 4th stratum.

I can't see how they thought that it would be a god idea in a fucking dungeon crawler.

I can see how Story mode can be appealing, but Floor Jump? nobody asked for this.

Killed so much of the tension of the game. Also ruined some of the immersive feeling of pressing down deeper and deeper into the dungeon conserving TP and health as efficiently as possible. I can't believe it's turned on even in expert mode.

bon

the music previews

Z4TGpSS.gif

3rd stratum is my favorite song from EO2. Can't wait to hear the new version of that.

Kirlia

Banned
Killed so much of the tension of the game. Also ruined some of the immersive feeling of pressing down deeper and deeper into the dungeon conserving TP and health as efficiently as possible. I can't believe it's turned on even in expert mode.

Just don't use it! Problem solved. There are people who like it
(I kind of needed it for the Sixth Stratum in the first EOU...)
And maybe it won't be turned on in Expert Mode in this game.

In any case, THANK GOD about the extra save files. Best thing they could have added.

Also hoping that the rest of EOU2's remixes are rad. I had no problem with EOU's remixes, although they WERE a bit guitar-riff happy.

Dem eight slots.

Hopefully they fix the Grimoire system this time around.

Wondering how long the turnaround for Atlus USA to localize it will be. Guessing maybe a Spring 2015 release with how packed their Persona/indie releases are the rest of this year.

L~A

This is great news, the only thing that could be better is a confirmation about it being localized.

Just don't use it! Problem solved. There are people who like it
(I kind of needed it for the Sixth Stratum in the first EOU...)
And maybe it won't be turned on in Expert Mode in this game.

Yeah, at least give people the option to disable it if they want.

Oh, and thanks Tovarish for the translation!

tuffy

When it says "the game will support up to eight different save slots", I'm assuming that means it'll use an SD card for those saves (which most people have) rather than sticking them all on the cart. Persona Q does something similar, as I recall.

Top Bottom