• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

spiritfox

My WM party is really lame in random battles. If I want to level up some new characters, what's the best way to do it? I heard something about pasarans becoming easy to grind on the 20-something floor.

Sheep. Oh wait, wrong game.

If you want to RNG exploit you can grind Scylla. Just pick the first quest (the one with the Wildling), take only one party member, and just escape. He will instant-kill her for you. Free XP! See this if you are having problems.

Otherwise... bosses give lots of XP. Just get a sleeper for the 14 day respawn.

Aha, thanks.

I killed the two 4th stratum bosses there. They both spawned.

No boss is spawning in the 5th stratum. I heard they might not respawn...?

Too bad there's no shiny sheep in this game!

I've been trying to fight Drake, my first EO3 dragon. He is very hard... I can get it to about half health before something goes wrong.

I'm thinking of starting over, and hope I'm more prepared next time I get to the post-game.

scy

What party? My typical WM party would aim for a Turn 3-4 kill. 2x Crush Amulets + 1x Pierce Amulet + Stab Mist + Antiice on Turns 1, 5, 10, etc. means you take no damage, regardless of your Defensive stats, as well so you can always just do that (I just used Limits, personally).

The same applies to the other Dragons except Pierce Amulet/Stab Mist swapped for a Slice Amulet + Cut Mist. And, well, a different Anti-element.

Just to note: Mists are global effects so they give their buff to the enemy as well.

What party? My typical WM party would aim for a Turn 3-4 kill. 2x Crush Amulets + 1x Pierce Amulet + Stab Mist + Antiice on Turns 1, 5, 10, etc. means you take no damage, regardless of your Defensive stats, as well so you can always just do that (I just used Limits, personally).

The same applies to the other Dragons except Pierce Amulet/Stab Mist swapped for a Slice Amulet + Cut Mist. And, well, a different Anti-element.

Just to note: Mists are global effects so they give their buff to the enemy as well.

Yeah, I ran into the global effect when I tried to WM it with my Yagrush when I used a Bash Mist, which wrecked my damage.

Anyways...My WM attacks are only doing about 950 damage with Attack Order, Primal Drums, Eagle Eye, and Berserkers Vow.

My Hoplite sometimes is too slow to act before the Drake uses Frigid. So I found I should wear shoes, or a Velocity Choker. My level might just be too low though.

My Party is:
H/W G/S
P/M S/B S/B

scy

Yeah, I ran into the global effect when I tried to WM it with my Yagrush when I used a Bash Mist, which wrecked my damage.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I started suggesting 2x Crush Amulets instead of 1x Crush Amulet + 1x Bash Mist: Every WM party runs a Yagrush until they get a Dragonsbane. What forges? The appropriate Elemental Forge (e.g., Ice for Wyrm, Fire for Dragon, Volt for Drake) really does help your damage a lot. Alternatively, use their Element on them to get their Conditional Drops but the damage loss there sucks for first time kills.

My Hoplite sometimes is too slow to act before the Drake uses Frigid. So I found I should wear shoes, or a Velocity Choker. My level might just be too low though.

My Party is:
H/W G/S
P/M S/B S/B

Velocity Choker + Sonic Dagger would be more than enough; honestly, the Dagger alone will probably work if you're sitting there with a Spear. What's your SPD (or I guess your AGI at least)? Breath attacks have a +0 SPD modifier while the Antis are all +30. Dragon is the fastest, if I recall, at ~65 on average so you don't really need that much to go before them.

The Dagger's a quest reward? (Checked an FAQ). Probably don't have it then; I haven't done many quests. That's one of the reason I want to start a new game from the very beginning.

Anyways - how do you stop Drake's damage with limits? I tried using the 3-slot Aegis limit for physical damage, but I can only use that once.

I was wearing one Pierce Amulet and one Crush. Then I would use a Stab Mist. I want to keep my Shoguns with two weapons.

My Yagrush has two Volt Affinities forged on it.

I don't have the game in front of me right now, so I don't know my H's speed. The weird thing is that he went first on the first turn, and then on the fifth or tenth turn, he didn't go fast enough.

Also, Iceblock is a pain to deal with. The pierce attack is used more often than the crush attack, it seems like.

scy

The Dagger's a quest reward? (Checked an FAQ). Probably don't have it then; I haven't done many quests. That's one of the reason I want to start a new game from the very beginning.

Just to note, New Game+ in EO3 isn't quite the same as EO4's. You're basically given everything so it's basically just rolling through the game as fast as you can.

And, yes, Sonic Dagger is a reward (Messages from aeons past II) but, honestly, any Dagger would probably work if you're using a Spear. That'll offset you 6 SPD right there (-3 Spear to +3 Dagger).

Anyways - how do you stop Drake's damage with limits? I tried using the 3-slot Aegis limit for physical damage, but I can only use that once.

Limit Boost and using the weapons with LIM Forges will yield a lot of Limit per turn.

I used Uroboros Guard (6th Stratum Chest, Floor 23 @ A2) but Aegis will work for blocking the damage.

I don't have the game in front of me right now, so I don't know my H's speed. The weird thing is that he went first on the first turn, and then on the fifth or tenth turn, he didn't go fast enough.

Your final SPD is probably around the low 60s. There's an RNG function to Speed calculations of Rn(0..4) so there's some variance.

Also, Iceblock is a pain to deal with. The pierce attack is used more often than the crush attack, it seems like.

Ice Block can be stripped by Ad Nihilo or Metopons. I don't think there's anything special to the Dragon's on their skill selection coding but it's been awhile.

Oh yeah, I should definitely give my Hoplite a dagger then. (I might have done this already.)

I should see if my S/Bs have the points for Limit Boost.

I was thinking of starting from scratch after erasing my data. I want to beat the Drake first though.

Ice Block can be stripped by Ad Nihilo or Metopons. I don't think there's anything special to the Dragon's on their skill selection coding but it's been awhile.

That's what I was using. I have both of those. But it seems like I waste two turns, the turn it uses Iceblock and the turn I get rid of it.

Dwayne

Playing EO3 atm (have finished 1 & 2) and i'm really enjoying the ship part of the game. Is there any games that are just like the ship section? The exploration is great.

Top Bottom