• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan - Official for NA - 2013

And Europe... ?

Us old world folks aren't worthy to play good RPGs and SRPGs - at least not within a time radius of 2-3 years after the us release! I mean, crap like Etrian Oddysey 2 & 3, SMT:Strange Journey, SRW Endless Frontier, Radiant Historia... who needs those, huh? Not us, good that they weren't released at all...and, after all, we got Lufia 2 and Terranigma. Should be enough exclusive RPGs for us for at least 3 or 4 decades.
Damn you region lock! On the DS my library consisted of at least 50% imports... Great news though for US fans, the series is an absolute blast and it's pretty damn sure that if they release this little underdog, the way is paved for other 3DS games like SMT4 for a western release :) So the 3DS just might become the new JRPG machine like DS and PSP before it....

Jucksalbe

Banned
Us old world folks aren't worthy to play good RPGs and SRPGs - at least not within a time radius of 2-3 years after the us release! I mean, crap like Etrian Oddysey 2 & 3, SMT:Strange Journey, SRW Endless Frontier, Radiant Historia... who needs those, huh?

To be fair Nintendo gave the Etrian Odyssey series a chance in Europe by releasing the first title (and even translating it to the usual Multi-5 languages) and it bombed pretty hard.

Torraz

EU is never getting this. At least I have a JP 3ds... Dang Atlus for not selling the games on the EU eshop or something like that...

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
SO DAMN GLAD. The #1 reason I bought a 3DS. Was actually planning to wait until it was announced to do so, but VLR and a couple of trade-in deals sped up the process.

Gonna be a long wait until 2013.
I should be able to beat the second and third games by then.

I'll buy it for atlus support don't know if i'll play it though, there isn't anything here to get me hyped about this game series. So someone tell me why should I play it? Seriously.

Because it's a really good series, and it can provide quite a challenge if you don't know what you are doing. I didn't think I would like the EO series, either. I thought I would hate making my own maps, something I do not miss from the old days of rpgs, but I ended up really enjoying it, and there is more depth to the combat than it might seem. It is also pretty rewarding because it can be pretty difficult. If you like turn-based rpgs and/or challenging games you should give it a try.

Cosmozone

To be fair Nintendo gave the Etrian Odyssey series a chance in Europe by releasing the first title (and even translating it to the usual Multi-5 languages) and it bombed pretty hard.
That's so sad. I get angry over this fact every time I think about it. And I constantly get reminded about it by some copies of EO1 still being in a bargain bin at the local Saturn for how long now? Grrr!

Yeah... I supported that release and appreciated it. Nintendo takes more publishing risks inbetween their Mario onslaughts with titles that aren't big hits and often 3rd Party than many people give them credit for (especially Nintendo Europe). Nevertheless, EO1 being bomba in Europe makes the chances for EO4 being even considered by any publisher at all quite dim. Maybe as a Download-only title? If I can cough up the money and get an US 3DS I might just take a copic marker or some paint and rename it "Atlus 3D Game Entertainment System" for the future ...

That's so sad. I get angry over this fact every time I think about it. And I constantly get reminded about it by some copies of EO1 still being in a bargain bin at the local Saturn for how long now? Grrr!

Yeah, same at our Saturn. Like, 5 bucks. I always think about just getting some copies for my few DS owning friends :D

Torraz

Yeah... I supported that release and appreciated it. Nintendo takes more publishing risks inbetween their Mario onslaughts with titles that aren't big hits and often 3rd Party than many people give them credit for (especially Nintendo Europe). Nevertheless, EO1 being bomba in Europe makes the chances for EO4 being even considered by any publisher at all quite dim. Maybe as a Download-only title? If I can cough up the money and get an US 3DS I might just take a copic marker or some paint and rename it "Atlus 3D Game Entertainment System" for the future ...

Yeah, same at our Saturn. Like, 5 bucks. I always think about just getting some copies for my few DS owning friends :D

Local stores, (Netherlands), never had more than 1-2 copies at release, as far as I can remember. Don't think the game ever made it to the bargain bins.

vall03

what took so long Atlus USA?! expected to be a 2013 release but I really wish they were able to release the game this year. Oh well, Soul Hackers will be next!

Local stores, (Netherlands), never had more than 1-2 copies at release, as far as I can remember. Don't think the game ever made it to the bargain bins.

Maybe Nintendo overestimated Germany. You know, Germany according to older stereotypes being so bureaucratic and obsessed with charts and numbers and working hard and being serious business all the time - they must love the hardcore RPG experience offered in EO, let's make them swim in copies of that game!

Well, maybe Nintendo Direct will have a surprise tonight. I don't think so, though.

I'm still happy this comes to western shores at all. JRPGs don't have an easy stance in the current market apart from Japan. Let's see if the enthusiastic 3DS owners can provide enough sales for Atlus and other companies to translate more Japanese games! If it does come over to Europa, I'll jump in without hesitating :)

edit: let's get hyped with the awesome-as-usual OST :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_7UQHIDcA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5xCCnB1X5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuuJq8ejPzE

(obviously, ignore comments on youtube videos if you don't want to get anything spoiled)

But I think a lot of that was down to them waiting almost a year after the US release to even announce that they'll be publishing it in Europe. And with the low print runs of Atlus games in the US, if you were at all interested in the game you couldn't afford to wait so long to see if it would get a local release. Odds are it wouldn't, and by the time you accepted that, you'd only be able to get it from Ebay scalpers for twice the RRP...

duckroll

Maybe this time I can finally really get back into the EO series. I only played the first game, really loved it to death. But I passed on the second when it came too quickly, I was going to get into the third but for some reason didn't find the motivation to. Probably because I played 7th Dragon instead...

But it's been years now since EO1, and this one looks like it has a good amount of new elements to be a nice meaty challenge. I hope the "casual mode" they added isn't in any way going to dumb down the normal game though. The 3D monsters look pretty great too.

P.S. NichM please push for FM soundtrack mode! >_<

Volcynika

Maybe this is the time I beat an EO game!

duckroll said:
P.S. NichM please push for FM soundtrack mode! >_<

If it's like the CoP thread subtitle, you need to say what you'll do for him before he considers it! :p

I have a feeling Project X Zone isn't something that's actually good enough to care about. But the rest of those games, yeah, it'd be pretty nice if we saw them come over there. Though the only one to really doubt at this point is Bravely Default, and I'm hoping SE hasn't decided to completely go with Eidos output for outside of Japan.

No way, Project X Zone looks tons of fun. That battle system is great and the animation work looks awesome. Not to mention Guild 01 and Senran Kagura Burst along with Bravely Default and Dragon Quest games from SqaureEnix and Soul Hackers. Those all need to come over still.

tuffy

I hope the "casual mode" they added isn't in any way going to dumb down the normal game though.
From what I understand, optional "casual mode" is just a permanent warp wire and no game over screens; the game just warps you back to town if your party dies. It's fairly minor.

duckroll

If it's like the CoP thread subtitle, you need to say what you'll do for him before he considers it! :p

I dunno... Nich isn't a meanie... I think. I'm sure he'll at least consider the requests of the small minority. ;_;

From what I understand, optional "casual mode" is just a permanent warp wire and no game over screens; the game just warps you back to town if your party dies. It's fairly minor.

Cool beans. That sounds fine. Should be helpful for those who aren't so good at these games but want to learn how to play them too.

Eusis

But it's been years now since EO1, and this one looks like it has a good amount of new elements to be a nice meaty challenge. I hope the "casual mode" they added isn't in any way going to dumb down the normal game though. The 3D monsters look pretty great too.
I actually worry about the opposite with "casual mode", in that by implementing it they cut loose on the main game and you're left with two extremes: a casual mode that's boring, and a normal/hard mode that's too much of a pain to enjoy anyway. But I need to check into the differences again, if casual is basically just "we slapped in the DQ death system instead" I might actually go for that, you'd still have tension but then it's your call to reload or not.

18-Volt

So, we will still sell stuff to earn money right? That was the most annoying part of the game, selling twigs and leaves to get weapons I want.

Whenever this comes to Europe I will be a happy man (along with Shin Megami Tensei). The 3DS library is pretty good at this early stage opposed to the DS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Luigi's Mansion. Animal Crossing. Etrain Odyssey IV. Monster Hunter 3G.

'Early 2013' for the 3DS is amazing.

Apenheul

Played and finished EO1, skipped EO2, playing and still plowing through EO3, skipping EO4 unless it brings a lot of new things to the table. Well, they'd need to bring it to Europe first anyway.

tuffy

So, we will still sell stuff to earn money right? That was the most annoying part of the game, selling twigs and leaves to get weapons I want.
I'm sure that's still there. The cycle of the game is to harvest monster parts, sell them for money and to unlock new gear, and then use better gear to harvest better monster parts. Limited inventory slots for monster parts ensures the player goes back to town once in awhile, and the key shortcut to sell all of a certain part at the same time makes the process less tedious.
Monetary / Inventory penalties?
None that I know of.

Pirabear

Banned
EO4 and Fire Emblem. 2013 is already looking much better than this year for the 3DS in America.

Hopefully Soul Hackers is announced next!

ys45

Funny because i was wondering this morning when Atlus would announce the game for NA.

We can always count on Atlus to give us some good gaming news !

Juken

Finally some good localization news!!!

Just finished Etrian Odyssey 3 like 2 months ago, can't wait!!

The Epic Journey of Fight and Heal Continues Once More!

Maybe Nintendo overestimated Germany. You know, Germany according to older stereotypes being so bureaucratic and obsessed with charts and numbers and working hard and being serious business all the time - they must love the hardcore RPG experience offered in EO, let's make them swim in copies of that game!

Well, maybe Nintendo Direct will have a surprise tonight. I don't think so, though.

I'm still happy this comes to western shores at all. JRPGs don't have an easy stance in the current market apart from Japan. Let's see if the enthusiastic 3DS owners can provide enough sales for Atlus and other companies to translate more Japanese games! If it does come over to Europa, I'll jump in without hesitating :)

edit: let's get hyped with the awesome-as-usual OST :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_7UQHIDcA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5xCCnB1X5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuuJq8ejPzE

(obviously, ignore comments on youtube videos if you don't want to get anything spoiled)

Ignoring anything past what the website has. Any further Koshiro Goodness™ must be heard in situ! I WILL REMAIN STRONG.

That's fairly major balancing choice, actually. Warp-wire stealing squirrels are such assholes for that reason.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Which reminds me... I need to get the fuck on beating EO 2 and 3... that will take more a long time.

But the Denpa Men are calling me...

Top Bottom