• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan - Official for NA - 2013

Neo C.

To be fair Nintendo gave the Etrian Odyssey series a chance in Europe by releasing the first title (and even translating it to the usual Multi-5 languages) and it bombed pretty hard.

I DID MY PART, I BOUGHT IT DAY ONE. ;_;
Thankfully, the DS doesn't have region lock, and I imported II and III. No luck with IV though.

jackal27

Banned
I was so pumped when this was revealed! Now if we can only get Rune Factory 4 and Bravely Default announced as well... I've never played an Etrian Odyssey game before, but after playing and loving SMT: Strange Journey and Legend of Grimrock, I've been wanting to dive in.

Should I hold out for this one or pick up one of the earlier games? Also, which earlier game?

tuffy

Should I hold out for this one or pick up one of the earlier games? Also, which earlier game?
Each one has gotten more accessible to newcomers than the last, so I'd recommend starting with EO 3. Features like a reduced penalty for class switching, better mapping tools and dungeon autopilot reduce the tedious parts of previous games without making it any less challenging.

jackal27

Banned
Each one has gotten more accessible to newcomers than the last, so I'd recommend starting with EO 3. Features like a reduced penalty for class switching, better mapping tools and dungeon autopilot reduce the tedious parts of previous games without making it any less challenging.

I saw that EO4 has a casual mode as well, so that's what was making me think that maybe I should just hold out. Any opinions on the casual mode guys?

I saw that EO4 has a casual mode as well, so that's what was making me think that maybe I should just hold out. Any opinions on the casual mode guys?

Easy mode was well-thought out. I like the fact it reduces backsliding in progression but still has the barriers to progression.

We'll get a bunch of English screens soon.

Atlus U.S.A., Inc. ‏@AtlusUSA
Members of our #ATLUS Faithful mailing list are about to get exclusive first English screens of #EtrianOdyssey IV!

c87pmu66e18a9fyon.jpg

Learning how to draw a map in EO for the fourth time. Yay!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Wow, I'm really impressed by that font. So much better than Devil Survivor Overclocked...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finally, they moved down defense.

No more accidentally selecting it for the 5th guy.

RPG

Hahaha. The subject line for the new EO e-mail i just got is "Picking a font." Email is all about the font it seems.
Just finished reading the same email. It's kinda cool of Atlus to give a little peek behind the curtain with their regular emails. Kinda wish other companies would put this much effort into marketing their products.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The visual skill tree is really nice. I just hope they took out all the secondary skills except for combat study. Talk about useless.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got the font email today and I was wondering why it was sent to all of us and not just Aeana.
Thread delivers. :)

Aeana

Nich is my hero.

He probably just did it so I would be too happy to remember to complain about the lack of FM music again. (._. )

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Then I will.
Niiiiiiich! Why no FM synth? Go over to Yuzo and smack 'im in the face for me!!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really like the EO IV soundtrack.

Would I have liked an FM Synth version more? Possibly.

Would I buy an FM Synth version or DLC that did added it back into the game? definitely.

cj_iwakura

I actually kind of liked EO1's font, it was... off-kilter, and it worked.

Persona PSP's on the other hand...

The new one is hot though.

Sushigod7

I've never played a EO game but interested in trying it out. I'm loving the 3DS lately so many games coming. Next year is going to be awesome.

Huh, after playing the first three games with the much tighter fonts, the new one looks a little jarring and out of place to me at first glance. I think I would have gone for the Thyssen font that they showed in the email, to maintain more of a visual continuity with the previous games, but in the end it's just font - as long as it's readable, I don't really care. Super interesting to read about the font selection process, though, thanks Nich! It's always fun to learn more about the behind the scenes process with localization.

tuffy

The 2 CD FM Synth + Drama soundtrack set originally due for release on Oct. 24th has been postponed, so it looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer for those PC-88 tunes.

Top Bottom