• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU PS Video Store [Coming 19th November]

spons said:
Bring on Star Trek and Terminator, but in their choice/lineup only Crank 2 interests me. At least Crank was ridiculous in a good way, haven't seen the sequel yet.

The pictures they have shown of the video store always has star trek (its out on the 16th) on the front so it will defiently be a launch title, terminator will be the week after.

Blablurn

Video Store Coming To PlayStation Network

Hi guys,

You’ve been waiting for movies to come to PlayStation Network and we can finally confirm some exciting news! Video Store will be available in the UK, France, Germany and Spain starting tomorrow November 19! Are you ready?

We’ve got amazing content lined up for you at launch, loads of latest new releases and all-time favourite classics. I will be updating you weekly via PlayStation Blog with all the new additions.

Now you can save the trip to the shops and enjoy hundreds of films in the comfort of your own sofa on your PS3 or on the go with PSP.

To celebrate the launch we are giving you PlayStation fans something extra! Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code: Two Great Movies for the Price of One! Its simple – you buy Angels & Demons and we e-mail you the voucher for The Da Vinci code. How great is that?

And if you are new to PlayStation we don’t want you to miss out! Just register your new console on PlayStation Network between November 19 and 30 and we will send you a voucher for Transformers movie. Yep, you can own Megan Fox in HD on your PS3 forever!

Right…we are now off to enjoy our preview event with Little Boots and DJ Annie Mac but I will leave you with the sneak peak of our store. Speak next week!

Source: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

General Infos:

• Hiring costs from €1.99 and buying costs from €7.99 per title, but initially HD films will only be available to rent.
  • Incidentally, renting means you have the film for 14 days but only have 48 hours to watch the content once you press play. Films can be transferred to PSP for viewing on the train or while walking to work and crossing busy roads.

Blablurn said:
General Infos:

• Hiring costs from €1.99 and buying costs from €7.99 per title, but initially HD films will only be available to rent.
  • Incidentally, renting means you have the film for 14 days but only have 48 hours to watch the content once you press play. Films can be transferred to PSP for viewing on the train or while walking to work and crossing busy roads.

I'm excited for this :) I've said it before but I've always wanted to rent HD movies on my 360 but only have a couple of gigs free at any one time so can't unless I buy a new HDD. I imagine I'll make regular use of this on my PS3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can you rent movies for the PSP? I'd like to download a couple of films to watch when travelling on business.

nofi

Just got back from the launch party in London. Well, I'm still in London, but you know what I mean.

The Video Store looks great - seriously, there's shit loads of films on there day one, it's just as quick as the normal Store and the prices, in the opinion of everyone there, were actually pretty good.

Quality looks fine, although it was hard to judge in the not exactly idea surroundings, and obviously the files were stored locally on the drives, not streaming. There was only one PS3 I could actually get my hands on, and that wasn't connected, so couldn't get any further.

Overall though, yeah, very impressed. Roll on tomorrow.

nofi

mrklaw said:
can you rent movies for the PSP? I'd like to download a couple of films to watch when travelling on business.

Yes - there's a version of the video store on the PSP too. You can transfer movies to the PSP from the PS3, but they'll only play on one or the other. I think. That's the impression I got from the event, and only quickly scanned the press releases.

Just register your new console on PlayStation Network between November 19 and 30 and we will send you a voucher for Transformers movie. Yep, you can own Megan Fox in HD on your PS3 forever!
This doesn't make any sense. They're not selling any HD movies yet the free Transformers movie which you can keep is HD?! So you couldn't buy Transformers HD if you don't get it for free.

agm2502

nofi said:
Just got back from the launch party in London. Well, I'm still in London, but you know what I mean.

The Video Store looks great - seriously, there's shit loads of films on there day one, it's just as quick as the normal Store and the prices, in the opinion of everyone there, were actually pretty good.

Quality looks fine, although it was hard to judge in the not exactly idea surroundings, and obviously the files were stored locally on the drives, not streaming. There was only one PS3 I could actually get my hands on, and that wasn't connected, so couldn't get any further.

Overall though, yeah, very impressed. Roll on tomorrow.

What were the UK prices roughly? they only seem to state the EU price in the press release.

nofi

agm2502 said:
What were the UK prices roughly? they only seem to state the EU price in the press release.

It was all a bit of a haze, but they vary - here's an example although three of us were at the event feeding stuff back to the site ad hoc, so expect irregularities.

I think the bottom price is either £2.49 or £2.99 (for an SD rental) and obviously goes up from there - £11.99 was the top price for a HD buy.

Tbigum

Neo Member
I was hoping that there would be more countries, but is it possible to create an UK-account and then get access to the content?

Spaulding

Tbigum said:
I was hoping that there would be more countries, but is it possible to create an UK-account and then get access to the content?

I doubt it. They'll probably check your IP. You can access the US videostore but you can't buy anything from there... Won't be different with the EU ones...

nofi said:
It was all a bit of a haze, but they vary - here's an example although three of us were at the event feeding stuff back to the site ad hoc, so expect irregularities.

I think the bottom price is either £2.49 or £2.99 (for an SD rental) and obviously goes up from there - £11.99 was the top price for a HD buy.
Let's not forget that, as with 360 points, you can pick up a £20 PSN Card for as little as £15.95, so that makes these prices even more favourable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AgentOtaku said:
I have a US PS3 and live in the Germany. Obviously US store is IP blocked. Is it still gonna be when this hits?
you should be able to use the german store though? Although being German they may all be dubbed

Will this work on a Japanese PS3 in the UK? Ie is it just IP based or also locked to the device region?

Billen

Banned
So we still have to wait for our regions? Is Sweden there on track with the others? Didn't think so. Oh well, it's not like Swedes would be able to influence the movie business if we didn't get any good online distribution options.

I can't check right now. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Flek

Banned
The video store is up in germany. They have 390 Movies for rental starting at 2,99 Euros SD and 3,99 HD. Buying costs 9,99 - 14,99 Euros (!! yep 22,367 USD for a digial copy they are nuts)

http://www.onpsx.net/news.php?id=27597

Oh and new movies like star trek & transformers 2 are BUY only … no rental … *fuckthis*

El-Suave

Seemingly they only offer a localized audio track in Germany - that renders the entire service useless to me (except for German movies). The joys of digital distribution....

Spaulding

El-Suave said:
Seemingly they only offer a localized audio track in Germany - that renders the entire service useless to me (except for German movies). The joys of digital distribution....

Agreed. Why pay more for less features?

JCtheMC

Flek said:
The video store is up in germany. They have 390 Movies for rental starting at 2,99 Euros SD and 3,99 HD. Buying costs 9,99 - 14,99 Euros (!! yep 22,367 USD for a digial copy they are nuts)

Oh and new movies like star trek & transformers 2 are BUY only … no rental … *fuckthis*

I got all excited reading the OP, now it's a definite "do not want". I'll stick to conventional renting.

Flek said:

I don't know about the German store, but the Spanish store does have 1.99 SD and 2.99 HD rentals for some titles. The prices vary in pretty much every case.

I'm totally renting The Shining in HD for 2.99, renting discs isn't cheaper than that over here and I never found it anyway. That said, there really isn't anything else I'm dying to rent or buy right now. I expected TV series episodes.

Billen

Banned
Flek said:

This has got to be a joke. 15 Euros for a digital copy?

And I guess that in Spain movies are dubbed in Spanish without the option to get the original version, right?

Seriously, would it cost them that much to keep 2 copies of each movie in their servers? One original and one localized?

Spaulding

Lord Griegous said:
And I guess that in Spain movies are dubbed in Spanish without the option to get the original version, right?

Seriously, would it cost them that much to keep 2 copies of each movie in their servers? One original and one localized?

In Germany all the movies only have 2-channel German audio (according to MediGo)...

Lord Griegous said:

Yeah, that can be a problem for those of us who would be eager enough to use the original version.

There are 5.1 and 2.0 movies, there just isn't a standard across all the available content. To be honest I'm sure the companies have more to do with how they make them available than Sony themselves.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I've noticed that it says 'English 2 Channel' (Audio) on all the HD/SD movies I've looked at so far, please me that's a mistake ?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Worthless if original version is not available :-/
And the application doesn't mention anything about audio versions.

Billen

Banned
This has got to be a joke, all of it? Watered down versions when it comes to both picture and audio, not available everywhere and 15 euro for a digital copy? And I don't even want to think about how many times you can download it and how to get hold of your copy in 30 years when you are feeling nostalgic :D

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Sony EU Blog said:
To celebrate the launch we are giving you PlayStation fans something extra! Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code: Two Great Movies for the Price of One!

I'm confused. Once I've downloaded this Dan Brown tripe where do I get my Two Great Movies?

Blablurn

downloaded my first movie (Frei:gespielt). worked without any problems. looking forward to rent some more in the next couple of weeks.

J. M. Romeo said:
Do they offer the option to get the real audio or are we stuck with fucking dubs like in the 360 video marketplace?

There is a new settings option that allows you to set the default audio language for content stored in the HDD, so I guess there is the chance that the movies could include two languages at least. Not that I expect any publisher to do it.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Sorry for the bump but does anybody have any word on when the Aussie store will be up and running. I thought I remembered hearing December 2009 but that isn't happening.

Top Bottom