• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU PSN - January Sale is now Live

Hmm... I made a good choice in not purchasing Dragon's Dogma via PSN+ so I can pick it up for £9 in this sale, but I also just back-ordered a hard copy from Amazon for £10... Eh, think I'll stick with the hard copy.

It's a good sale on DD, but Sony really need to let people purchase things outright even if they've already "bought" it via PSN+. Such a shame I can't buy Okami at that price.

Now this is a great sale! I can finally catch up with the Assassin's Creed series, only played the first one and got the third from PS+ which I haven't played yet.

Tsunamo

Oh no, I don't mean the PS+ monthly games. They're great even though I own half of them but what I meant was, for example, a game on our store is $22.99, however if you have PS+, you get it down to $22.40. This is horrible if you compared it with US PS+ holders. They get discounts on top of a discount. E.g. US price game, was $44, discounted to $30, PS+ membership holders get it for $20. I've seen this so many times and I'm getting sick of it.
Yeah. If there's one major advantage the US PS+ has over ours it's discounts on software.

NeoGash

Oh no, I don't mean the PS+ monthly games. They're great even though I own half of them but what I meant was, for example, a game on our store is $22.99, however if you have PS+, you get it down to $22.40. This is horrible if you compared it with US PS+ holders. They get discounts on top of a discount. E.g. US price game, was $44, discounted to $30, PS+ membership holders get it for $20. I've seen this so many times and I'm getting sick of it.

Yup, seen that too. I did get an awesome deal though, it was Infamous Festival of Blood + Killzone HD for $13.45, both of them singular are more expensive than that. Only got it because my FoB DLC was region locked and couldn't redeem it, which is another of my complaints I'll save for another day and another thread (region locked DLC). Sony do so much right, but this marketplace stuff has been bugging me for ages, especially considering they charge more for their consoles and retail games here.

No Sony just like ripping Australians off, I can go on my PS3 and 360 right now and show you the differences. It is pathetic, Sony don't get called out for it though because Australia is a small market, but they are ripping us off hardcore. If something is $5 on XBL, it is likely $7.35 on PSN. $15 on XBL, $18 or $21 on PSN. Really sick of it, and I though MS ripped me off sometimes. Jeez.

If it were a Sony mandate, Sidhe wouldn't have been allowed to price Shatter so well in Aus/NZ. Game prices are set by publishers, so if the sale price of Brothers is really as pathetic as the one listed, the blame should mostly be directed at 505 Games.

Not that Sony's free from any criticism, it's just that blaming only them is a ridiculous simplification of what is a widespread policy within the games industry (fucking us over).

PSN seems to always have the worst price gouging here when it comes digital software and it's $14.95 (USD) on Steam without the sale price LiquidSolid said. Depressingly the original price is right, it's $21.95 on the Australian PSN.
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...rade/cid=EP4040-NPEB01201_00-BROTHERSLICENSE0

Uh, I never said the original price was wrong, I said the list is riddled with mistakes and it clearly is:
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Was €14.99/AU$21.95/£49.99, now €4.94/AU$15.29/£3.95
Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers

PirateKing

Yeah. If there's one major advantage the US PS+ has over ours it's discounts on software.

Three reason why I still buy from our store.

1. DLCs are region locked

2. PS Vita only holds one account at a time restricting me from using different accounts

3. Some games are digital only E.g ''Muramasa Rebirth''

I almost don't even buy any physical copies from our retailers. Why should I when importing halves the price of games?

Bauer91

I'm interested in the Mass Effect games, do they run and look as good as on Xbox 360 or are the PS3 versions worse?

Into

Is the NBA2k14 PS3 to PS4 upgrade only available for the disc version or can I buy the PSN version and upgrade it?

I bought the boxed PS3 version and it came with a voucher with that PS4 code, so i doubt the digital version comes with such a code, but i am unsure.

Good deal if it does ;)

It's a good sale on DD, but Sony really need to let people purchase things outright even if they've already "bought" it via PSN+. Such a shame I can't buy Okami at that price.

I agree, but I can see why they don't. If you can pick up all the PS+ free games on the cheap when they show up in sales then there's no incentive to keep subscribing to PS+.

NeoGash

If it were a Sony mandate, Sidhe wouldn't have been allowed to price Shatter so well in Aus/NZ. Game prices are set by publishers, so if the sale price of Brothers is really as pathetic as the one listed, the blame should mostly be directed at 505 Games.

Not that Sony's free from any criticism, it's just that blaming only them is a ridiculous simplification of what is a widespread policy within the games industry (fucking us over).

Why would the publishers purposely have the same prices set for all games on PSN differently than their same game on XBL? Sony must have mandated price points, where the publisher gets to choose from $16 or $20 for example, not set the exact amount that they wish. (On Xbox, it is usually $5, $10 and $15. Sony have something like $7.35, $13.45, $18 and $21.95 or something like that, so the developer can either go under the XBL price ($13.45) or over (in this case $21.95).

Something just doesn't add up. Most DLCs and games that are $5 on XBL are $7.35 on PSN, so they must have mandated price points on both XBL and PSN.

I'm interested in the Mass Effect games, do they run and look as good as on Xbox 360 or are the PS3 versions worse?

Already said on the previous page.

Mass Effect 1 on PS3 has less performance issues that plagued the 360 version. It is better.
ME2 on PS3 uses the ME3 engine whereas the 360 version of ME2 uses the, you guessed it, ME2 engine. 3>2 and ME2 PS3 > ME2 360. Also has an extra intro comic on PS3, so definitely get the PS3 version (better lighting from memory as well being a key advantage).

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Fuck sake. I was just starting to make inroads in to my backlog and they go and throw a bunch more games at me that are just too tempting to refuse at those prices. When will these 1st world problems end damn it!

It seems to be more complicated than that. Other European regions are getting 66% off on Brothers, but Australia is only getting 33% off. The normal price of Brothers is in line with the rest of Europe, but the sale percentage is not.

PirateKing

Yup, seen that too. I did get an awesome deal though, it was Infamous Festival of Blood + Killzone HD for $13.45, both of them singular are more expensive than that. Only got it because my FoB DLC was region locked and couldn't redeem it, which is another of my complaints I'll save for another day and another thread (region locked DLC). Sony do so much right, but this marketplace stuff has been bugging me for ages, especially considering they charge more for their consoles and retail games here.

Is there anything we can do about this? Also, lol at our retailers with almost with no Vita games in stock. I accidentally found Injustice Vita in one of the newly EB Games opened around here.

How is Okami and Muramasa Rebirth?

Amazing. Gems. You can't go wrong with them if you like action and/or adventure Japanese games.

ZeroX03

Banned
Why would the publishers purposely have the same prices set for all games on PSN differently than their same game on XBL? Sony must have mandated price points, where the publisher gets to choose from $16 or $20 for example, not set the exact amount that they wish. (On Xbox, it is usually $5, $10 and $15. Sony have something like $7.35, $13.45, $18 and $21.95 or something like that, so the developer can either go under the XBL price ($13.45) or over (in this case $21.95).

Something just doesn t add up. Most DLCs and games that are $5 on XBL are $7.35 on PSN, so they must have mandated price points on both XBL and PSN.

It's more that the currency conversion that PSN uses is more unfair than XBL. Microsoft controls prices globally from the US I believe. Sony EU doesn't do prices on a country-by-country basis (or if they do it's very rare), rather they have one set cost in Euro, which is then converted to GPB, AUD, NZD, etc. The conversion is just off and unfairly skewed to make sure they never lose money in regions due to fluctuations. At one point the NZD was getting too close to being a fair conversion so they increased prices.

NeoGash

Is there anything we can do about this? Also, lol at our retailers with almost with no Vita games in stock. I accidentally found Injustice Vita in one of the newly EB Games opened around here.

Amazing. Gems. You can't go wrong with them if you like action and/or adventure Japanese games.

Spam Yoshida on twitter? At least Sony respond to bad publicity and listen usually.

Struggling to find anything of interest really, some good games there but none that I think will take me away from my PS4/Vita right now and want me to add more to a PS3 backlog.

Tizoc

Uh OP, EU PSN updates on Wednesday, unless the blog post explicitly states it starts early?
Ah OK so they're like flash deals it seems.

It's more that the currency conversion that PSN uses is more unfair than XBL. Microsoft controls prices globally from the US I believe. Sony EU doesn't do prices on a country-by-country basis (or if they do it's very rare), rather they have one set cost in Euro, which is then converted to GPB, AUD, NZD, etc. The conversion is just off and unfairly skewed to make sure they never lose money in regions due to fluctuations. At one point the NZD was getting too close to being a fair conversion so they increased prices.

Microsoft also only recently got rid of space bucks, so their conversion is still relatively new. I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly raised prices at some point like they did in the UK.

Feel free to spam Yoshida and other Sony employees though. I guess there's some tiny chance they'll listen, no matter how improbable.

Into

Uh OP, EU PSN updates on Wednesday, unless the blog post explicitly states it starts early?

This is true but to his defense the PSBlog article on PSBlogEU states:

The PlayStation Store January sale starts today!
Posted on 24 December by Chris Howe – PS Store and Plus Content Manager, SCEE

So hopefully we get it today =P

ZeroX03

Banned

"The PlayStation Store January sale starts today!"

"Your PlayStation Store January sale has arrived a few days early and boy, is it a monster!"

"Borderlands 2 is now on PlayStation Plus!"

derExperte

Nothing mindblowing but some prices are actually really good, didn't think Sony EU had it in them (PS+ good, sales terrible). Too bad it hasn't started in Germany yet but I'll get Muramasa asap.

Brothers for around £3.50?! Steam am cry >_<

The Steam community f'd up there, lost by 2% in the vote to Chivalry, another great game but still...

I agree, but I can see why they don't. If you can pick up all the PS+ free games on the cheap when they show up in sales then there's no incentive to keep subscribing to PS+.
Ah, fair point.

My subsciption is running out in February and I don't plan on renewing it (no PS4, not a fan of subscription services) so it's goodbye PSN+ collection. I'm sure I'll be able to pickup Okami and the likes on sale next summer so I guess I'll just leave them on the HDD. Pah.

NeoGash

Microsoft also only recently got rid of space bucks, so their conversion is still relatively new. I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly raised prices at some point like they did in the UK.

Feel free to spam Yoshida and other Sony employees though. I guess there's some tiny chance they'll listen, no matter how improbable.

I agree. Games that used to be 400MS points used to equal $6.60 in AU (100ms points = $1.65), they are now all $5 (woohoo!). The new episode for TWD season 2 is........$6.60. They better not raise the prices, as you could at least buy points on sale. Still, same games are $7.35 on PSN, so it would still be 75¢ cheaper on XBL.

Omikaru

Considering tomorrow is Christmas day, I think things regarding the PS Store will be happening today and/or Friday, since tomorrow and Thursday no one will be in the office in case something goes horribly wrong.

Tizoc

Heh I see, my bad. The blog was slowly opening for me which is why I asked.

Everyone get Brothers and Castle of Illusion HD
The latter is a great 2D platformer and has Sully as the narrator.

As for me, I'll be getting:
Armored Core V
Mass Effect 1

shugdaddy

Neo Member
Is the NBA2k14 PS3 to PS4 upgrade only available for the disc version or can I buy the PSN version and upgrade it?
Should be able to upgrade. You could with battlefield and assassins creed. You dont even need to download it just buy it then it shows on the ps4 store that you can upgrade

Top Bottom