• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
FCB has agreed with him, but not with Monaco. Like, say, two weeks ago, nothing new. We'll see. I just want to see Davids signing again, soon.

I'm bored, so here's my predictition as to who'll go through to the quarters (1st two from each Group qualifies):

Group A

1. Spain -- soccer's underacheivers; if they can keep it together for 2 weeks, they can go all the way
2. Portugal -- pressures on being host; should easily make the Quarters and possibly Semi's
-----------------
3. Greece
4. Russia

Group B

1. France -- a matter of who'll play them in the Final, IMO; too strong all around the park; through to Quarters unscathed
2. England -- strong midfield, but lacks fire power up front; easily to Quarters and onto Semi's if on-song
-----------------
3. Croatia
4. Switzerland

Group C

1. Italy -- will trod along Group stage; France/Italy Final re-match (from Euro 2000) not out of the equation
2. Denmark -- will battle it out with the Swedes for runners-up in the Group, but the buck will stop at Quarters for either team
-----------------
3. Sweden
4. Bulgaria

Group D

1. Holland -- I'm expecting much from this Dutch campaign; Semi's, a minimum, but can go on and win the whole thing
2. Germany -- plays a pretty dull but effective game; were lucky to reach the Final of the last WC, don't think they can produce the same result at this year's Euro though
-----------------
3. Czech Rep. -- will be unlucky in a tough group; my dark horse team to win if it can qualify through to Quarters
4. Latvia

PS: I pimped this site before, but got not a single reply, so here goes again: does anyone else here play Hattrick -- a free (and very addictive) online soccer/football management game? Must check it out even if you're remotely into the sport. You'd be surprised at how deep and fulfilling the game can be.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I can't understand why some of you believe more in Denmark than Sweden. Well, I guess we'll see soon enough... :p

cja

Terry fails fitness test

NOOOOoooooooo! Sven should have his head on the block for this, how the hell do you only select three natural centre-halves! What happens if Campbell or King get injured? Carragher, Gary Neville? FFS! Not selecting someone like Ehigou or giving Southgate a chance to prove his fitness could kill any chance we had.

DSN2K said:
Holland are going out in the group stages, too many problems off the pitch will ruin their chances.

Don't know about going out of the group stages, but yeah, their internal bickering could be their demise. But I've got Dutch ancestors hence my high expectations. ;)

Kiriku said:
I can't understand why some of you believe more in Denmark than Sweden. Well, I guess we'll see soon enough... :p

I think sweden have a pretty good team. I guess Larsson and Ibrahimovic will start up front? They're both quality players. Mellberg is a good defender too. I don't know about the midfield, Ljunberg wasn't really impressive last season, what's this Kallstrom guy like?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Stevie Gerrard said:
I think sweden have a pretty good team. I guess Larsson and Ibrahimovic will start up front? They're both quality players. Mellberg is a good defender too. I don't know about the midfield, Ljunberg wasn't really impressive last season, what's this Kallstrom guy like?

Larsson will most definitely play from the start. Ibrahimovic is about 85-90 % sure to play from the start...Allbäck just might take his place, since he's playing good recently.

Källström is a talented offensive midfielder, good at long passes and lifting the ball towards the box with great precision. He went from the Swedish team Djurgården to the French team Rennes last season, where he's been pretty successful.
Anyway, there's a constant discussion going on, whether or not Källström should play, since he's essentially taking Anders Svensson's position. Svensson has had a pretty unfortunate season in Southampton, with his coach not believing in him resulting in very little play time. He did get to play the last matches from start though, and he's been saying how he's feeling in really good shape in time for Euro 2004. Svensson has a good shot (as demonstrated in the World Cup against Argentina two years ago), and has a high percentage when it comes to short passes.

The Swedish formation isn't set in stone, but I'm pretty sure the new, promising player Wilhelmsson will be playing on the other side of the midfield (Ljungberg pretty much owns his side :p). His playstyle is very un-Swedish, so to speak. He's good at holding the ball and dribbling. He went from a division 1 team in Sweden, to a Norwegian team and then straight to Anderlecht in Holland, where he's been playing for a few years now. The Swedish coaches didn't pay much attention to him up until last year or something, probably because they hardly KNEW about him. :p
He's one of the most interesting players on the Swedish team IMO.

There's a also Mikael Nilsson, who'll be playing as a defender below Wilhelmsson, or at Wilhelmsson position.

Falch

tracky_dacks said:
Don't know about going out of the group stages, but yeah, their internal bickering could be their demise. But I've got Dutch ancestors hence my high expectations. ;)

What internal bickering? The group itself can get along just fine. It's the coach and the media who are bickering. Well, bickering....more like backstabbing, ignoring and calling each other names. Some great melo-drama these days. Every evening it's Advocaat versus the talkshows. :D

Btw, I've seen that Hattrick game before, but I've never really had the time to check it out. I'll look into it soon. I remember some of my friends really enjoying it though.

Kiriku, Anderlecht is in Belgium. :)

Falch

Kiriku said:
Haha, my bad. I tend to mix those two countries up, sorry. :)

hehe no prob. Although we Dutch don't like to be confused with Belgians. We view Belgians the same way Americans view the Canadians: with disrespect. :p

So, did anyone look into that Fantasy football game at the euro2004 site yet? I'm pretty much done with selecting the fourteen players that I had to buy with 100 miljoen €. I'll post my selection soon.

Falch said:
What internal bickering? The group itself can get along just fine. It's the coach and the media who are bickering. Well, bickering....more like backstabbing, ignoring and calling each other names. Some great melo-drama these days. Every evening it's Advocaat versus the talkshows. :D

Btw, I've seen that Hattrick game before, but I've never really had the time to check it out. I'll look into it soon. I remember some of my friends really enjoying it though.

Kiriku, Anderlecht is in Belgium. :)

Can't say I've been following their progress during the qualifiers, but I've heard that Nistelrooy was none too happy about being substitute off in a couple of the games and that there's tension between the coach and Edgar Davids. Don't know how much of it is true, or if it's just been blown out of proportion, but I hope everything's settle down in the camp. :)

Oh and you should definately check out Hattrick. You really do feel as if you're managing your own football team. It's awesome... and free! :D

Falch

tracky_dacks said:
Can't say I've been following their progress during the qualifiers, but I've heard that Nistelrooy was none too happy about being substitute off in a couple of the games and that there's tension between the coach and Edgar Davids. Don't know how much of it is true, or if it's just been blown out of proportion, but I hope everything's settle down in the camp. :)

Oh and you should definately check out Hattrick. You really do feel as if you're managing your own football team. It's awesome... and free! :D

Well, yeah there have been some problems between Advocaat and Davids, but I believe they have been resolved a long time ago. Concering Van Nistelrooy, I can't recall anything about him being pissed because he was a substitute. Either way, he won't be now, he was one of only four players how had an indepth discussion with Advocaat on tuesday, concering the strategy. It seems as though Advocaat is trying to push him to be the team's leader. He'll most definatelly will play as center striker against Germany.

Hattrick seems very kewl, and pretty deep too. I recall though that when I wanted to register, there was a waiting list for the Dutch competition. Anyway, I'l look into it shortly. :)

Advocaat today issued a "secret" training for this morning. Press wasn't allowed, but since the trainingfield is surrounded by hills, the press could still see the training. It really became clear that the team selected to play against Germany will consist of:

-----------------Van der Sar------------------
Heitinga---Stam--Bouma--Van Bronckhorst
----Sneijder-------Cocu---------- Davids----
Van der Meyde---Van Nistelrooy---Van der Vaart

Pretty good squad, with one exception: Van der Vaart. I'd much rather have Robben there, since he's a really wingplayer. Van der Vaart has had a pretty bas season too.

Hooker

OMG, what an asshat (Advocaat)

What are you trying to do?! Give Germany a free ticket to our goal, idiotic fuck! Why the hell do you want to place Bouma there!? Put Cocu in his spot, at least he does his job like it's supposed to!

Midfield is a mess as well, 2 defensive players plus a short mofo who will be stepped upon when playing against the physical tough Germans. Ballack will eat him alive!

Front end is rather lousy as well. Nistelrooy can only perform when the midfield is supplying, and this is more of a defensive minded starting-11. Van der Meyde has had a HORRIBLE season. I don't think he's played more than like 10 games. Van der Vaart (you probably know how lowly I think of him) will go to the middle, he can't keep his lines!

Jezus, play with some balls idiot! (Advocaat)

Falch

Hooker said:
OMG, what an asshat (Advocaat)

What are you trying to do?! Give Germany a free ticket to our goal, idiotic fuck! Why the hell do you want to place Bouma there!? Put Cocu in his spot, at least he does his job like it's supposed to!

Midfield is a mess as well, 2 defensive players plus a short mofo who will be stepped upon when playing against the physical tough Germans. Ballack will eat him alive!

Front end is rather lousy as well. Nistelrooy can only perform when the midfield is supplying, and this is more of a defensive minded starting-11. Van der Meyde has had a HORRIBLE season. I don't think he's played more than like 10 games. Van der Vaart (you probably know how lowly I think of him) will go to the middle, he can't keep his lines!

Jezus, play with some balls idiot! (Advocaat)

It's really not as bad as it looks, although there is no excuse for putting Van Der Vaart in this squad.

Stam/Bouma has only been playing less concentrated lately. I'd rather have Cocu in Bouma's position too, but Cocu is needed at midfield. There he can control the game. Sneijder isn't a defensive midfield per se, and Davids makes up for his length with his agression.

Who else can play at the position of Van Der Meyde? Besides, he wasn't too bad these last games, atleast he's not afraid of making an indiviual action. The problem you described with Van Nistelrooy is inherent of all Dutch strikers.

Just put Robben at Van Der Vaart's position, and you elimate the midfield - front end that arise with Van Der Vaart. It's possible though that Van der Vaart will play more behind Van Nistelrooy, instead of on the wing. That would mean Davids can be more of an wingplayer, or even Van Bronckhorst, who is pretty good at that.

Hooker

Cocu on the midfield isn't such a good decision. His slows the game down, and you need to beat the Germans on speed ie. fast ball circulation. And Sneijder is just too small, too weak, too inaggressive. Davids makes up for a lot but the Germand are probably playing with 4 midfielders, all tough sons of bitches.

Van Bommel would have been a better choice, and of course Seedorf. Too bad both of them are injured :( (van Bommel even removed from the squad)

Falch said:
hehe no prob. Although we Dutch don't like to be confused with Belgians. We view Belgians the same way Americans view the Canadians: with disrespect. :p

So, did anyone look into that Fantasy football game at the euro2004 site yet? I'm pretty much done with selecting the fourteen players that I had to buy with 100 miljoen €. I'll post my selection soon.

I just entered, my team is

Sorensen
Henchoz Ziege Raul Bravo Simic
Petrov Pires Deco Gerrard
Larsson Pauleta

Subs: Lehmann Van der Meyde Baros Carragher

I think I was a bit biased, there are four LFC players in my squad (and one former player)

I also had a look at that hat-trick thing, it seems like I am on a wiating list.

Stevie Gerrard said:
I also had a look at that hat-trick thing, it seems like I am on a wiating list.

It's really quite popular, as I said, but you should get your team within 2-3 days pending the country you're in (and be sure to register in the country you're living in). Whilst you're waiting, I suggest that you read through the rule book as there's much to learn about the game and I highly advise that check out the conferences (forums) and pick up as much advice as you can. You'd be surpirsed at how everyone there is eager to help each other out. I'm willing to help you out as well (my team's Deer Park United [Team ID: 77669] in Oceania), but I'm still learning my way through myself. But I will say this: first priority should be to buy a coach and trainees and stick to a long-term training program, upgrade your arena, and despite the changes their making next season, midfield is king, so win possession of the ball and you should be fine. :)

Good time to sign up and join as well, as the season just finished and we're approaching a two week break, so you've got plenty of time to buy players (and they're generally cheap at this time) and build a competitive team before next season starts. ;)

Volt

Kiriku said:
The Swedish formation isn't set in stone, but I'm pretty sure the new, promising player Wilhelmsson will be playing on the other side of the midfield (Ljungberg pretty much owns his side :p). His playstyle is very un-Swedish, so to speak. He's good at holding the ball and dribbling. He went from a division 1 team in Sweden, to a Norwegian team and then straight to Anderlecht in Holland, where he's been playing for a few years now. The Swedish coaches didn't pay much attention to him up until last year or something, probably because they hardly KNEW about him. :p

I'm a rabid supporter of RSC Anderlecht (which, as mentioned is in Belgium, close to Bruxelles), and I have seen Christian Wilhelmsson play a lot of great matches last year. It was only his first season in Belgium though, after coming from Stabaek in Norway. He's rapidly becoming quite a star in Belgium and I hope he gets a breakthrough with Sweden as well. A shame he won't be playing on the right wing for Sweden..
His star has been rising over here ever since he did an amazing move on the ball and finished it of with a perfect assist, earlier this year.

For those who are interested, you can watch the brilliant move HERE, it was inspired by Ronaldinho. Sweden, with Allback, Wilhelmsson, Kallstrom, Ljunberg, Ibrahimovic and Larsson have an excellent attacking side, that's why I tipped them as my personal outside favourite. I don't see how Denmark could be a threat to them.

Hooker

Wow, that's a nice trick. I want to see him do it when he's not up 4-0 though ;)

Man, the wait in unbearable now, 23 more hours till kickoff :D

I know what you mean. I just remembered today that the Copa America is on as well this summer. :)

How about some predictions for tommorrow's games?

Portugal 1
Greece 0

Spain 2
Russia 1

Falch

Hooker said:
Cocu on the midfield isn't such a good decision. His slows the game down, and you need to beat the Germans on speed ie. fast ball circulation. And Sneijder is just too small, too weak, too inaggressive. Davids makes up for a lot but the Germand are probably playing with 4 midfielders, all tough sons of bitches.

Van Bommel would have been a better choice, and of course Seedorf. Too bad both of them are injured :( (van Bommel even removed from the squad)

Yeah, Van Bommel and Seedorf will be sorely missed. :(

Stevie Gerrard said:
I just entered, my team is

Sorensen
Henchoz Ziege Raul Bravo Simic
Petrov Pires Deco Gerrard
Larsson Pauleta

Subs: Lehmann Van der Meyde Baros Carragher

My selection is:

Cech
Cocu
Van Bronckhorst
Valerón
Zidane
Wiltord
Van der Meyde
Vogel
Koller
Hakan Yakin
Totti (C)

Subs:
Didulica
Edman
Smirnovs
Neretljak

You have quite expensive subs. I just made sure my starting squad consists of only players that will play, and I bought some cheap subs.

Volt said:
For those who are interested, you can watch the brilliant move HERE, it was inspired by Ronaldinho. Sweden, with Allback, Wilhelmsson, Kallstrom, Ljunberg, Ibrahimovic and Larsson have an excellent attacking side, that's why I tipped them as my personal outside favourite. I don't see how Denmark could be a threat to them.

Very impressive move there!
"Die van Anderlecht spelen voor open doekjes" - hehe :D

Predictions:
Portugal - Greece: 2-0
Spain - Russia 1-0

well cantona and keane both eventually mellowed.

ok no more derailment from me.

I predict portugal 2 - 2 Greece btw I think the Greeks will surprise big time

Falch

I don't have much faith in Greece, to be honest. Holland beat them 4-0 less than two months ago.

Anyway, perhaps Spain - Russia will have a lot of goals, considering both defenses are pretty weak, especially the Russian defense.

Hooker

No, Holland annihilated the Greek with a system they aren't used to playing (which also marked the defeat twice in a weeks time against Ireland and Belgium)

Portugal will win 3-1, maybe even 4-1.

(21,5 hours till kickof :D)

Falch

Btw Hooker, what do you watch on Dutch tv: Villa BvD or NOS sport? They're both on at the same time. I prefer NOS, although it really depends on the guests.

Hooker

NOS, I can't stand those fuckers at BvD

Jan Mulder is pretty funny though, but I'll probably just keep switching back and forth in the commercial breaks

Volt

Hooker said:
NOS, I can't stand those fuckers at BvD

Jan Mulder is pretty funny though, but I'll probably just keep switching back and forth in the commercial breaks

Jan Mulder geeft commentaar op een Nederlands zender ? Of bedoel je Youri ? :)
Indien Jan : welke zender ? Wellicht eentje die ik in België niet kan ontvangen :(

*back to English*

My prediction for Portugal - Greece : 2 - 0

Hooker

Jan Mulder (de vader van Youri en ook een zeer goede spits in zijn tijd, jaren '70) geeft commentaar op Barend en van Dorp, otfewel Villa BvD op RTL4 (commerciele zender, ik denk niet dat je deze kan krijgen). Youri Mulder geeft commentaar op Nederland 2.

Je moet zowiezo naar Nederland 2 kijken, daar krijg je het commentaar van de beste voetballer OOIT, Johan Cruijff!!

Portugal - Greece: 3 - 1
Spain - Russia: 3 - 2

Maverick

WELCOME TO HOLLAND-AGE. SAY HELLO TO RUUD ON YOUR WAY IN.

holland9.jpg

Maverick

Man, I hate living in the U.S. sometimes. I'm a European trapped in a yanks body. :) I wish I could be over in Ireland again watching Euro 2004 in the pubs. At least I'll be in France for the really good matches. Although from what I've heard, they aren't as passionate about their football in France. Maybe it's different though for major tournaments.

So I take it you'll vanish completely if you loose to the Germans. ;)

Damn interesting group you guys got, I imagine you are sick of the sight of the Czech by now. I can see the Czechs winning the group with the Dutch coming second. Don't really fancy the Germans much, they don't exactly play great football. I wouldn't rule Latvia out either, they might pull off one result which will decide the group. Getting by Turkey was no mean feat and they've improved considerably in their short time playing together.

Dekajelly

Fowler said:
Capture this for me and I will love you for life.

rofl5.gif
Great first show too, I've recorded it on VCR, I might peg it up on Overnet or Kazaa for you to download if it's not available anywhere else. :D

Socreges

Banned
Thanks for the format, tracky

Group A

1. Portugal
2. Spain
-----------------
3. Russia
4. Greece

Group B

1. France
2. England
-----------------
3. Croatia
4. Switzerland

Group C

1. Italy
2. Sweden
-----------------
3. Denmark
4. Bulgaria

Group D

1. Holland
2. Czech Republic
-----------------
3. Germany
4. Latvia

I think Groups A and B are locks [for who goes through, not the order]. C and D not so much.

cja

Betting!

Tournament

France 3/1
Italy 9/2
Portugal 11/2
England 7/1*
Spain 7/1
Holland 8/1
Czech Republic 14/1
Germany 14/1
Sweden 25/1
Denmark 33/1
Croatia 66/1
Bulgaria 80/1
Russia 80/1
Greece 100/1
Switzerland 100/1
Latvia 150/1

Group A Winners

Portugal 6/5
Spain 6/5
Russia 8/1
Greece 9/1

Group B Winners

France 4/6
England 9/4*
Croatia 8/1
Switzerland 9/1

Group C Winners

Italy 8/11
Sweden 7/2
Denmark 4/1
Bulgaria 7/1

Group D Winners

Holland 11/10
Czech Republic 15/8
Germany 11/4
Latvia 25/1

*Yes, this is from an English bookie, the most popular in fact so there is no value here. What are the odds for England in other Euro countries?

Top Tournament Goalscorer

Thierry Henry 11/2
Christian Vieri 9/1
Ruud van Nistelrooy 9/1
David Trezeguet 10/1
Michael Owen 12/1
Pauleta 12/1
Raul 12/1
Fernando Morientes 16/1
Francesco Totti 20/1
Roy Makaay 20/1
Alessandro Del Piero 25/1
Fernando Torres 25/1
Kevin Kuranyi 25/1
Patrick Kluivert 25/1
Miroslav Klose 33/1
Wayne Rooney 33/1
Henrik Larsson 40/1
Jan Koller 40/1
Luis Figo 40/1
Marco Di Vaio 40/1
Milan Baros 40/1
Nuno Gomes 40/1
Zinedine Zidane 40/1
Zlatan Ibrahimovic 40/1
50/1 bar

Todays Games

Saturday 12th of June, 2004

4/7 Portugal 9/4 Draw Greece 9/2
4/6 Spain 9/4 Draw Russia 7/2

Fifty

I don't know how I'll be able to explain to my boss that I won't be able to work from 11:30 am to 4:30 every day for a month :D

Can someone tell me how well Italy's chances are this year? I don't follow soccer closely at all, but I always cheer for Italy in the World Cup and EUFA.

Socreges

Banned
EUFA?

Italy's chances are always quite good. On paper, they're among the best in the world. But in football, like with any sport, that doesn't necessarily mean ultimate success.

I see them losing in the semis, but that's not really based in anything.

Socreges said:
EUFA?

Italy's chances are always quite good. On paper, they're among the best in the world. But in football, like with any sport, that doesn't necessarily mean ultimate success.

I see them losing in the semis, but that's not really based in anything.
Urgh, I mean EURO. Ever since playing EUFA 2004 or whatever that EA soccer game that wasn't FIFA is, I've been mixing up the two.

So would it be fair to say Italy's similar to the Colorado Avalanche then?

Falch

Italy have some of the best players in the world, especially their strikers. I rate their chances of winning Euro 2004 second highest, only after France.

Meh, I have to miss the opening match because of work. Luckily I will be back in time for Spain - Russia.

Btw, I hope England beats France tomorrow. Nobody expects that anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom