• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooker

5 more hours till the pre-show. :D Nelly Furtado hauls ass but I' willing to make that sacrifice :)

Finally, after 4 LOOONG years we are again able to wow the world again with the Flying Dutchman :D

Volt

My Fantasy Football team (might still change it a bit)

Keeper : Kahn (cheap, and likely to play most matches)
Defense : Nesta, Evseev, Dellas, Bridge (again, relatively cheap + likely to play a lot)
Midfield : Alenichev, Albelda, Giannakopoulos, Gerrard (a pattern is forming)
Offense : Morientes, Totti (C)

Subs : Ovchinnikov (GK), Hinkel (DF), Galasék (MF), Ibrahimovic (ST)

Not a team filled with stars, in fact I'm mostly counting on underdogs that just play very decent games. I would've selected players like Carvalho, Xavi, Deco, Coupet, Rothen, Lahm etc, but they're not likely to play a lot of games..

Solid

Volt said:
Subs : Ibrahimovic (ST)
Excellent choice.

ibrahimovic_zlatan3.jpg

I have his autograph :D

I believe Zlatan will have his big breakthrough this tournament. He is now one of the big stars in Sweden, even though he's only 22. I hope Zlatan and Henrik Larsson scores a lot, especially against our rivals Denmark :p

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Here are some odds from Sweden right now...

Winning the tournament:

France 3.35
Italy 5.50
Portugal 6.50
Holland 7.00
Spain 7.00
England 8.50
Czech Republic 9.00
Germany 13.00
Sweden 20.00
Denmark 30.00
Bulgaria 40.00
Greece 40.00
Croatia 40.00
Russia 40.00
Switzerland 75.00
Latvia 200.00

Group A winner:

Portugal 2.00
Spain 2.00
Greece 8.00
Russia 8.00

Group B winner:

France 1.60
England 2.75
Croatia 6.25
Switzerland 10.00

Group C winner:

Italy 1.65
Sweden 3.65
Denmark 4.50
Bulgaria 6.75

Group D winner:

Holland 2.20
Czech Republic 2.50
Germany 2.80
Latvia 26.00

Falch

Volt said:
My Fantasy Football team (might still change it a bit)

Keeper : Kahn (cheap, and likely to play most matches)
Defense : Nesta, Evseev, Dellas, Bridge (again, relatively cheap + likely to play a lot)
Midfield : Alenichev, Albelda, Giannakopoulos, Gerrard (a pattern is forming)
Offense : Morientes, Totti (C)

Subs : Ovchinnikov (GK), Hinkel (DF), Galasék (MF), Ibrahimovic (ST)

Not a team filled with stars, in fact I'm mostly counting on underdogs that just play very decent games. I would've selected players like Carvalho, Xavi, Deco, Coupet, Rothen, Lahm etc, but they're not likely to play a lot of games..

Well, the way I see it, you not only want players that play a lot, but also keepers/defenders that you know play in a team that will not concede any goals. Kahn likely will do that versus Holland and Czech rep. Greece (Dellas) and Russia's (Evseev) defense are pretty shaky too. And why use such expensive subs?

My strategy is to use just a few defenders (players that will definetelly play and of teams that will likely won't concede much goals), and concentrate on midfielders that score a lot, and great strikers (also players that will most likely play). I pretty much ignore my subs.

Kiriku said:
Group D winner:

Holland 2.20
Czech Republic 2.50
Germany 2.80
Latvia 26.00

Once again pretty much confirms Group D is the thoughest poule, with three teams that have pretty much the same chance of winning their group. Though Germany is rated way too high IMO. :)

Volt

Well, I just noticed that it was possible to switch defenders for midfielders or attackers, I was assuming you had to stick to the 4-4-2 team tactics etc, so I'll probably change some stuff before it's too late :)

EDIT :

Team is now

Buffon

Nesta - Bridge

Alenichev - Albelda - Gerrard - Galasék - Giannakopoulos

Totti - Ibrahimovic - Morientes

Porbably won't win with this team a lot, and it's an extremely unrealistic line-up :D
But hey, it's just a game, and I'm basically just hoping the three strikers I selected score a lot of goals !

Volt

Hooker said:
2 hours and 45 minutes till the opening. Did you people buy your snacks and beer already?!

I' m actually trying to finish Chronicles of Riddick first :D I'm at the 33th checkpoint I believe, so very near the end ;-)

Falch

Yeah Volt, I play a 2-5-3 formation. :D

I'm all set, Hooker, but I'm gonna miss the first match. :( I'll be back in time for Spain - Russia, luckily.

B E N K E

Two potentially exciting games today, with plenty of talent. Being Swedish I agree with my fellow countrymen, we like to be underdogs but I have the uneasy feeling that we're actually favorites to advance this time. I feel that Bulgaria is a greater threat than Denmark however. Germany looks totally broken down, but we all know they usually perform when it counts.

favoritelva_benke.jpg

Here's my favorite eleven. I made a small Euro 2004-webpage with a friend (who has done some scouting for FM2005!). But it's in Swedish... Anyway, for the Swedes who would like to see it http://www.elenziah.com/em2004/ ...

Shinobi

Damn right...add in the NBA Final and this'll be one of the best sporting weekends I've enjoyed in months.

BTW, don't read too much into bookmakers odds...they're far less about who they think will win, and far more about where they think the money will go. Their job is to set up the odds so they can split any money on a team that wins by 50%. That way they never lose. Of course England's gonna bet a lot on their own team, so the odds are adjusted accordingly.

calder

I'm pretty interested in the tourney this year - interested enough to get up eary to see the first game at least.

At work a few years back one of the cleaning guys was Portugese, and when I worked late he'd usually stop by my office during the WC to talk some footy and his bitter fatalism has me cheering for Portugal a bit. He was always so damn sad yet totally unsurprised when they underperformed... just for him I'm cheering Portugal along with England. Why couldn't my grandparents on my dad's side be from France or Italy? :\

And even though my mum's family is originally half from France waaay back I just can't cheer for them. Even with the incredibly skilled and exciting game they sometimes bust out (and the presence of Henri and other easy-to-admire elite players) there's just something about them that I can't cheer for. Maybe it's the ugly dude with the dreads who always reminds me of the ugly dumb kid in Stargate who got his ass blowed up.

calder

OH god, I had hoped that watching the TSN Euro preview show hte other day that Carl Fletcher was just really nervous then but he'd be fine as time goes on, but damn he's a terrible commentator. Talks slow, keeps flubbing up, and even when he does spit something out he says the most bland, obvious shit. Be fun to count how many times Dick Howard sees how much he's struggling and jumps in with a good comment to save him.

I read that TSN won't have commercial breaks during the games.. that true? I guess we'll see. And another thing I noticed watching the preview shows was that all the stadia look AMAZING there. I guess in that climate you can have insanely huge and elaborately designed open air stadiums and still use them more than 3 months a year, unlike here. ;)

WOOO! Sorry Greece, but go Portugal!
luis-figo-portugal.jpg

calder

Whoa! That was some terrible D! Nicely placed kick though.

Down 1-0, first game, not even 10 minutes in... portugal is going to be feeling the pressure now!

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
1/2 time.

Surprising containment of Portugal by Greece, although the last 10-15 mins of the half saw the pressure on Greece increase quite alot.

First time in a while that I've found one of Collina's bookings highly questionable though, A yellow card wasn't warranted IMO, I suspect it was a "lay down the law" type booking. :/

Freeburn.

Go Portugal!! Come from behind!

3 of my friends are going to Portugal to see some games next week. I wish I was going with them.
frown.gif

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Penalty!

2-0 to Greece!

Shocker!!!!!

Freeburn.
(Enjoying this, as his own teams Portuguese signing, Silas, turned out to be a bit of a damp squid.)

Damn, host country has never lost the opening game. Looks like it will happen now.

Top 5 Euro goals were shown during half time.... man, that Van Basten half-volley in 1988 against Soviet Union was awesome.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Portugal must be under some terrible pressure now, especially since the last World Cup was kind of a failure. Add to that the fact they're playing IN Portugal, the opening game, which many people probably expect them to win. And they are behind with two goals. This will be tough. :|

COCKLES

being watched
Charles said:
2-0 now, Greece (Basinas [sp]) from a Penalty

:D

Portugal are another one of these teams like Spain were always hearing about as being 'This is their tournament'. And already in their first game, their underachieving...against the titans of Greece. :lol Spain are playing this evening, so we'll see if their dreadful run of tournament woe continues.

Hooker

Project Midway said:
Top 5 Euro goals were shown during half time.... man, that Van Basten half-volley in 1988 against Soviet Union was awesome.
Dude, what else do you expect from the world's most complete striker EVER!

And a Dutchman to boot :D

Damit i just got OWNED, 5 euro down the drain, f**king lazy bastards.

Spain - Russia should be very interesting.

I'll be rooting for the Russians

cja

Just like the last World Cup. The Portugese looked like they were out for a stroll in the park. Poor Ronaldo, he'd have had six assists if Ruud was on the pitch to knock 'em in at the far post :D

Trevelyon

Well done Greece. Portugal played attacking football, but the greeks were way to strong in their back line, especially Dabizas who had a great game. I thought Ronaldo wasted alot of oppurtunties, he always crossed too deep, and could never seem to pick out Figo or Deco on the wing.

Alucard

Banned
Does Portugal seem like a bunch of wasted potential? We keep hearing about the greatness of Figo and the solid play of Pauletta, but between this and the last World Cup they haven't really shown us much.

Nice one Greece.

I'm rooting for Germany to take it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom