• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylver

Banned
Israel are in UEFA, they just didn't qualify for Euro 2012, finished third in group.

Yep and some other countries, I still ask why as far as they aren't european countries. The Eurocup with non european countries is so stupid. At least, this year have sense.

Divius

dutch folks, being that it's pretty important for the 'alles of niets' match on sunday, how are you lot keeping tabs on the german game? I know they usually show the score top corner every now and then and the commenters keep up with it, but is there an alternative channel broadcasting the other match?
Well yes, my good sir. NED1 will be broadcasting NED - POR and NED3 will be broadcasting DEN - GER. Or vice versa. So bring out your second television from the bedroom, put it into the livingroom and watch both matches at the same time.

RJT

No there isn't. The only team that is arguably better than Eire who missed out is Bosnia. That doesn't warrant expanding the tournament by 8 teams. I'd be more open to expansion if they scrap the Olympic tournament.

Turkey has regressed significantly since Euro 2008.

Turkey beat our Portuguese asses right before the Euro...

Divius

So what do you guys think about tonights games; Greece - Russia & Czech Rep - Poland.

I think Russia and Poland to win.

Doopliss

Yeah, haven't they always done it to prevent/minimize the chance of "tactical" play?
In terms of fairness, there's more too it than just situations where teams could collude to get a result beneficial to both (I assume that's what you meant). Even if only one team has a chance of progressing from the group, by playing their match later they could be considered to have an advantage in knowing the exact result required of them.

However, I think there are a couple of more crucial reasons for playing simultaneously:
- It means all teams know whether they have qualified at the end of their match, so players and fans are able to celebrate straight away.
- It reduces the chance of a game starting with both teams already out of the tournament. (Only possible if both teams have lost their two previous games.)

Arjen

So what game are you guys going to be watching?
Czech Rep - Poland should be the most interesting right?

Player of the tournament so far?

i73upO0VLPAkb.gif

reminds me of dennis bergkamp wonder goal.

Xater

It is really a damn shame but the UEFA will not change - they sell "clean" entertainment and always propagate that sport shouldn't be involved in politics. Money is what counts and sponsors fear for their image and reputation if they are associated with "political statements", naked people or the fact that there would be thousands of people who would love to have a ticket. They can't have one because sponsor X gets them and doesn't even have the people to fill up the ranks.

At this point UEFA seems like child it's fingers in the ears singing "la la la". I mean this concerning the Ukraine issue. It's not like the issue is not being discussed. With their whole "Respect" and "Fair play" campaigns it is just so disingenuous.

Arnie

Rooting for Poland tonight, hope they do themselves proud. Am I right in thinking that that game decides who goes through alongside Russia?

At this point UEFA seems like child it's fingers in the ears singing "la la la". I mean this concerning the Ukraine issue. It's not like the issue is not being discussed. With their whole "Respect" and "Fair play" campaigns it is just so disingenuous.

Would be time for a new football association, anyway. FIFA and UEFA just suck. Don't know about the rest, but it won't happen unfortunately..

Mr_Zombie

Rooting for Poland tonight, hope they do themselves proud. Am I right in thinking that that game decides who goes through alongside Russia?

Yes. This is our (Poland's) last chance to go further. Right now we have two ties while Russia has a win and a tie, and Czech has one win.

rodvik

I wish there was an English version of this article. So here is just the German one: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/die-em-im-fernsehen-die-regie-spielt-falsch-11787080.html

It's about how the presentation of the Euro is pretty much censored to keep any politics out of it and present an all happy event. We didn't get to see the banner German politicians held up during the game with the Netherlands, which was about fair play in the Ukrainian politics. We did not get to see the naked Kroation guy hugging the Kroatian coach during the match with Ireland. And remember Löw's funny moment with the boy? well that actually happened before the game even started. Oh and the UEFA doesn't want empty seats and especially VIP ones being shown.

I for one appreciate UEFA's mania abut this. Sadly nationalism is still a very ugly force in the world and the more they can keep football about just football the better imho.

gurasa

^ lol

Man, Maradona wasn't lying when he said in 2010 that he had thought Thomas Muller was a ball boy. That kid looked a lot like Muller.

evilwart

Yep and some other countries, I still ask why as far as they aren't european countries. The Eurocup with non european countries is so stupid. At least, this year have sense.

Israel and Armenia are the only non-european countries in UEFA. Turkey, Russia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Kazakhstan all lie within both Europe and Asia, and choose to be in UEFA over AFC.

TeegsD

Also just saw that we are second lowest in the group stages with passes. I can't wait for the day when both Sporting and Portugal stop defaulting to counter attacks. Every once and awhile is nice but I'm a big fan of possession football

Israel and Armenia are the only non-european countries in UEFA. Turkey, Russia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Kazakhstan all lie within both Europe and Asia, and choose to be in UEFA over AFC.

If you are going to attribute Armenia as not being part of Europe then you must do the same with Turkey. The Bosporus River is traditionally viewed as the South east land border of Europe. Only as small fraction of Turkey is on the western side of the Bosporus.

rodvik

They should just bite the bullet and set up the "spicy" international tournament.

Group A
Israel
Palestine
Iran
Iraq

Group B
North Korea
South Korea
Japan
China

Group C
Republic of Ireland
Northern Ireland
Scotland
John Terry

Group D
Serbia
Croatia
Bosnia & Hertz
Kosovo

Sylver

Banned

Well part of Russia is Europe :p and we can discuss about Turkey or Georgia but Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan or Israel being UEFA members is like a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom