• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: AC art used for Uncharted 4 trailer (Up: Naughty Dog responds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carn82

Naughty Dog just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about developing concept art (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like being a game director, where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw over a fellow concept artist, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public that plays Ubisoft games, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Uncharted 4, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Naughty Dog has alienated an entire market with this move.

Naughty Dog, publicly apologize and cancel Uncharted 4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

haha, this one never gets old ^_^

Oh my god guise!!

GQX7imR.png

jake-gyllenhaal-haircut-4.jpg

Also I love how people are going straight for ND's throat when it's so obviously an outsourced asset screen, if Naughty Dog had noticed this before it would have been removed for sure.

ssharm02

Banned

I don't know how much the rest of you know about developing concept art (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like being a game director, where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw over a fellow concept artist, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public that plays Ubisoft games, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Uncharted 4, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Naughty Dog has alienated an entire market with this move.

Naughty Dog, publicly apologize and cancel Uncharted 4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
wat the fuck

Auctopus

That is so bad. What's funnier is the cut is meant to show that the two locations are the same and the painting is from a completely different game. Hahahaha.

Dreavus

Yikes that's quite the slip up.

It will be changed before final release. Will there be any other compensation/apology from ND here?

Lister

Banned
I don't understand why things like this can't just be seen as a complement to the original concept artist. It's not like that picture on the wall is some vital part of the game, or that anyone playing it really even gives a damn. Game isn't going to make more money because of this picture on the wall. I'd think an artist would just be happy to have the exposure.

You know what a better compliment would be?

PAYING HIM FOR HIS WORK.

That being said, it's not like every bit of art in a game is developed in house. A lot is third party stuff, and some, no doubt, specially for minor details like a painting on a wall, might be from a no royalty or similar type of image warehouse.

Are we sure that's NOT the case here? Maybe both companies just happened to purchase the same third party image?

Well that's embarrassing. How the hell did no one notice before it was featured prominently in a trailer?

Seems like they'll be able to fix it easily, though.

Freeman

Banned
Probably was meant to be a temporary thing that was overlooked later.

As for the recurring characters that look like well know actors, ND should just hire some models, they are really bad at disguising whom they took inspiration from specially in the concept stages.

Flarin

8dZZTx6.gif

Pretty sure that was a joke post but you never know.

Raylan

Banned
What is going on here? Did Naughty Dog.. I'm scared writing this.. S T E A L Ubisoft concept art because they are among the best in the whole industry? Do they want some of that Ubisoft shine? Or is this just an artist fucking up?

What is this?

It's crazy how much shit developers can get away with it they make games people like.

This is stolen art, it's that simple. It being a framed picture does not devalue it's repercussions, if anything, it further illustrates the laziness in their art department that they could not even construct a tiny piece of concept art to put on a mantle.

There's a lot of things that could be going on here.

1) Naughty Dog could've licensed the artwork from Ubisoft. Not likely, bur certainly possible. Even Ubisoft's head of content wouldn't necessarily be made aware of that if it was the case.
2) A third-party asset creation team hired by Sony/ND could've snuck this into their commissioned art package hoping no one would notice.
3) Someone at Naughty Dog could've used the artwork as a placeholder and forgotten to replace it in time for the trailer.

There is a chance Naughty Dog is entirely at fault here, but it's also very likely that there is something else going on here. I don't think it's healthy to jump to conclusions about this.

You are making a bigger deal of this than it needs to be made.

Changing the art will be extremely fast. They don't need to follow any of your pointless steps. After a few twitter ranting the status quo will return.

DemonNite

lol

vpance

Good artists copy, great artists steal, right? ND is just going to the next level.

Kidding ND. Sort yourselves out :)

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I hope there is a limited edition with a poster of that concept art
Just for the lulz

It's actually common practice during game development to get other concept artist's works and modify them for their game. I wonder if an artist handed them this artwork for production and they had no idea it was used in another game, I'm certainly curious if Ubisoft owns that piece of art or if an artist does. Either way I imagine after this it will be replaced, they have an area in the game that looks just like it, they can just take a shot of it and do a paint over, would be a pretty quick and easy thing to do.

I wonder if we'll ever find out if the art was stolen, or if Ubisoft doesn't own the art or if this will just go under the rug and the picture will be different upon release.

Lothars

The defense force is strong with this one.

The fact is, this issue keeps coming up with Naughty Dog, over and over. It isn't an isolated issue anymore. It's a pattern.
This one is valid but the the ellen page posts and the Nadine Ross / Kandyse McClure posts are bullshit on their own. It seems like people like to get outraged for things that make no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom