• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: AC art used for Uncharted 4 trailer (Up: Naughty Dog responds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssharm02

Banned
naw its just eurogamer blocking hotlinks

here it is though
2Fvcyr0.gif
wow so they created an actual level based on the stolen artwork?! wow

xion4360

And I'm saying in the actual reveal footage she didn't actually look the same as the artwork, which is why I posted that image.

Besides, even the artwork still has some pretty big differences form Ellen Page.
18rr2sayvx22ojpg.jpg

Different nose, different chin, different lips, different eyes, different brow, different cheek bones, different hair line.
The Ellen Page resemblance was accidental

you are referring to images AFTER changes were made to her character.. fact is she did resemble ellen page much more during initial reveal even though I personally didnt think it was by that much or that it even mattered at all.

the nadine thing looks coincidental.. someone will always resemble someone else, thats par for the course when creating human looking characters. The art stuff might just have been an honest mistake or placeholder that they forgot to update, either way it will 100% be completely different in the release now that everyone has pointed it out.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't understand why things like this can't just be seen as a complement to the original concept artist. It's not like that picture on the wall is some vital part of the game, or that anyone playing it really even gives a damn. Game isn't going to make more money because of this picture on the wall. I'd think an artist would just be happy to have the exposure.

Is this a serious post? Maybe they should've just used somebody else's music too. They like it so much and more people will hear it.

I said it in the other thread, I'll say it here as well.

Ellen Page and artwork are a problem.

But the BSG actress similarities are straight up BS. Yea she's black, wow!

Nibel

I mean same mistake happened before with a map in TLOU and Ellie

Guess it's true what they say: you do what you want when you poppin
banderasqvoft.png

GDC presentation next year: 'The dangers of outsourcing'

naw its just eurogamer blocking hotlinks

here it is though
2Fvcyr0.gif

smh, it's okay when they take the story from our Uncharted 4 thread but us using their traffic is not okay

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
And I'm saying in the actual reveal footage she didn't actually look the same as the artwork, which is why I posted that image.

Besides, even the artwork still has some pretty big differences form Ellen Page.
18rr2sayvx22ojpg.jpg

Different nose, different chin, different lips, different eyes, different brow, different cheek bones, different hair line.

That comparison uses Ellie's new face...

Oops, beaten twice. Fast GAF is fast. The Battlestar Galactica actress one is a huge stretch though. There's a very different facial structure.

Timeaisis

Well thats a fuck up.

Someone at Naughty Dog probably just googled something and copy / pasted the image.

I just googled "pirate beach art" and that image is the 2nd picture that came up and linked to a page that had nothing to do with Assassins Creed.

Yeah, this is most likely what happened. Someone put temp art into the game and everyone forgot it was temp.

bud23

Shameful but not surprising, this is ND, they have done it before, they will do it again

Good thing they have a legion of fanboys that will desperately try to desvirtuate the fact that ND are nothing but nasty thieves

McDougles

I don't understand why things like this can't just be seen as a complement to the original concept artist. It's not like that picture on the wall is some vital part of the game, or that anyone playing it really even gives a damn. Game isn't going to make more money because of this picture on the wall. I'd think an artist would just be happy to have the exposure.

Your thoughts represent everything that's wrong with modern capitalism; everything deserves to be paid for unless it's in the art field. In that case, you should be lucky to be paid nothing for your work to be taken and used without your permission.

Why are you using the changed version and not the original? It's posted right in this thread

you are referring to images AFTER changes were made to her character.. fact is she did resemble ellen page much more during initial reveal even though I personally didnt think it was by that much or that it even mattered at all.

Because it was an image of Ellen Page in that pose, scroll up to look at the old one and compare yourself.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Let's not forget the Nadine Ross / Kandyse McClure uncanny resemblance either.

6p8a9CP.jpg

WTF is going on? Fool me once...

This shit is starting to stink.
Goes way beyond "inspiration"

are you serious or just trolling?

Meier

BattleStar Gallectica Actress

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/Uncharted%204/Nadine_vs_Kandyce.gif~original[IMG][/QUOTE]

This particular comparison image is a stretch although the other image of her shows more similarities. The Ellen Page one though was totally blatant.

Hard

Banned
Shameful but not surprising, this is ND, they have done it before, they will do it again

Good thing they have a legion of fanboys that will desperately try to desvirtuate the fact that ND are nothing but nasty thieves

b8.webm

23qwerty

holy shit ubisoft invented time travel just so they could steal uncharted 4 art and use it as concept art? that's fucked up

Naughty Dog just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about developing concept art (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like being a game director, where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw over a fellow concept artist, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public that plays Ubisoft games, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Uncharted 4, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Naughty Dog has alienated an entire market with this move.

Naughty Dog, publicly apologize and cancel Uncharted 4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

CHC

Oh wow. This is insane. Possible delay incoming? Check sent to ubi? How does this get resolved?

Probably the latter. I had a friend whose song was used without permission (for like 20 seconds) by a major entertainment company and they just removed it and sent him a check for a decent sum, no real hassle for either party.

test_account

XP-39C²
wow so they created an actual level based on the stolen artwork?! wow
Even if they did that, it would be no problem. Its just a pciture of a cliff with a hole in it. I'm sure they get inspiration from other things and places as well. The issue is using the exact artwork.

Sojgat

18rr2sayvx22ojpg.jpg

That's the amended design, LMAO.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Honestly Ubisoft should be thankful that Naughty Gods would use their artwork in a trailer.

Breads

Banned
Here is something you might not realize: music/ sound effects/ concept art from other projects/ companies are used internally all the time as placeholders or reference material until they get enough of their own stuff going. As the reference material changes hands sometimes the context is lost and mistakes like this can happen.

The trick is to not let it out.

You should see some of the internal matte paintings. Sometimes its egregious.

Real artists are above petty considerations like paying rent or buying food. As long as someone sees their uncredited work, the exposure is good enough.

Its like photosynthesis.

We have a saying: Artists die of exposure.

Yiazmat

Naughty Dog seems to have a history with plagiarism. This is not the first time they steal other people's work and I doubt it will be the last.

People need to stop defending this bullshit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

18rr2sayvx22ojpg.jpg

17mwuah7syl5tjpg.jpg

lol different everything and yet ellen page herself saw it and saw the resemblance. so did EVERYONE who watched the trailer. go read the reveal thread. people thought she was in the game.

you guys are blind if you dont see the resemblance.

That's the amended design, LMAO.

Hey, compare that image of Ellen Page to the old artwork, all the things I listed are different.
lol different everything and yet ellen page herself saw it and saw the resemblance. so did EVERYONE who watched the trailer. go read the reveal thread. people thought she was in the game.

you guys are blind if you dont see the resemblance.
There is a resemblance, but considering how nearly every part of her face is different it's clearly more coincidence than a stolen likeness.

Because people don't like to work for free. It's not theirs to take without permission.

Probably just someone being lazy with making the asset, but on a large project like this, that shouldn't happen. They'll switch it out or get the OK from Ubisoft.

Ricky_R

Let's not forget the Nadine Ross / Kandyse McClure uncanny resemblance either.

6p8a9CP.jpg

WTF is going on? Fool me once...

This shit is starting to stink.
Goes way beyond "inspiration"

That one didn't get much traction for obvious reasons. I mean, there's a slight resemblance in there, somewhere, but nothing to call for stolen image.

stuminus3

This wouldn't be nearly as funny or interesting had it not been for the dude shit talking Ubisoft on Twitter. Industry professionals can be so unprofessional. Don't they do any basic code of ethics training in game studios?

Lothars

Yeah, this is the craziest part to me, it looks like they actually used that stolen concept art to create the level.
Didn't you see where it's actually based on a real location?

The artwork being in the game is a messed up thing and needs to be taken out and shouldn't have been in the game or trailer to begin with but the level is nothing related to that artwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom