• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: AC art used for Uncharted 4 trailer (Up: Naughty Dog responds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xav

Not cool Naughty Dog but no need to lose sleep over it. Just say you're sorry, remove it and move on.

Welp-I'm out.
wzry0Lc.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wow faith restored. Thankyou! Glad somebody has a sense of reason out there. The ND defenders in the other thread are going all out to downplay how shitty this would be by ND if intentional.

RexNovis

Banned
Oh god go away that was the biggest non-issue ever.

Uhh what the fuck? How is this a non-issue when it establishes a pattern of unattributed work somehow funding it's way into their game? lets not forget the whole Ellen Paige likeness in TLOU either. You know the situation for which they were nearly sued until they relented and made minor tweaks to the character model.

Whether or not you wanna hear it this shit is relevant to the topic at hand. I'm sorry if it gets in the way of your dismissive dialogue.

jrush64

Banned
There's a bit of a resemblance with the South African woman but it's not that strong. However Ellen Page, yes there's a strong resemblance there.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
LOL anything to tear Naughty Dog a new one, eh?

This won't stop Uncharted 4 from winning 2016 GOTY and racking up that critical acclaim on Metacrtiic
NKq0BiQ.gif

AdanVC

They should had used a Bob Ross painting instead.

But seriously, nothing worse than stealing art without credit the original artists whatsoever so I hope ND offers an statement about that.

Vhalyar

Perhaps someone at ND needs a refresher in copyright law. Or perhaps they just use random images off Google as placeholders and forget to change some of them later on... which would still be a somewhat poor workflow IMO, if you don't at least make a list of the stuff you used so you can be sure that you don't miss anything later on.

I'm assuming that's what happened and putting ill intent on this would be silly at this time. But to dismiss it as some are suggesting in this very thread is idiotic and damaging to artists.

That's a picture in a frame within the game trailer.

If people think that ND -intentionally- stole the artwork for that kind of insignificant usage ... I don't even...

Imo, it's either an honest mistake with a bunch of art shuffled and the wrong picture making it through the cracks of licencing

Or

More likely that was contractual art that Ubi did not have the exclusive rights to, and ND purchased from the creator/ owner in all good faith without being told/ realizing it had been used for AC IV beforehand.

I was also thinking it could have been done with Ubi's permission as a tribute of some sort, but given the reaction on twitter, I guess not.

I think it's probably just some shady contractors (or even artists within the studio) who lift stuff from the internet and touch it up rather than working from scratch.

While people want to talk about the Ellen Page/Battlestar actress stuff, which can definitely be argued over, but people seem to have forgotten this exact thing has happened before where an artist was playing The Last of Us and noticed, er, a Boston subway map he'd created in the game.
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/06/25/mbta-map-last-of-us-transit-map/
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/25/subway-map-artist-and-naughty-dog-settle-the-last-of-us-complain/

In that instance ND owned up that it was indeed stolen without permission and apologized and came to some sort of 'agreement' with him - presumably they gave him some money, as he even deleted his initial angry blog posts and said he was happy with the resolution.

Anyway, point is, it's a shame but it has happened before.

Tiops

Usually I don't mind this kind of thing, but that's a straight up copy of AC's artwork. Terrible move by ND, they're big enough to not have to steal art from other games.

MildSoss

Wow faith restored. Thankyou! Glad somebody has a sense of reason out there. The ND defenders in the other thread are going all out to downplay how shitty this would be by ND if intentional.

Especially the one about how a guy has had his own art stolen before and it's not that big of a deal. lol

Hugstable

Banned
lol that's really embarrassing. Wonder why they actually did that and not just use one of their concept arts or something.

Probably gonna be changed in the final game anyway, so eh.

Jito

Banned
How does this even happen in the first place? Nothing is just created out of thin air ND, there's always someone to credit.

Weebos

Banned
Uhh what the fuck? How is this a non-issue when it establishes a pattern of unattributed work somehow funding it's way into their game? lets not forget the whole Ellen Paige likeness in TLOU either. You know the situation for which they were nearly sued until they relented and made minor tweaks to the character model.

Whether or not you wanna hear it this shit is relevant to the topic at hand. I'm sorry if it gets in the way of your dismissive dialogue.

Yeah, this is becoming a pattern. Very bizarre from such a high quality studio.

Yes, after ND changed it after it became known they didn't ask Page for her likeness, which is what the post you quoted said...

On the other hand, there's not much similarity between Nadine and that Battlestar actress.

And I'm saying in the actual reveal footage she didn't actually look the same as the artwork, which is why I posted that image.

Besides, even the artwork still has some pretty big differences form Ellen Page.
18rr2sayvx22ojpg.jpg

17mwuah7syl5tjpg.jpg

Different nose, different chin, different lips, different eyes, different brow, different cheek bones, different hair line.
The Ellen Page resemblance was accidental

LTWood12

I don't understand why things like this can't just be seen as a complement to the original concept artist. It's not like that picture on the wall is some vital part of the game, or that anyone playing it really even gives a damn. Game isn't going to make more money because of this picture on the wall. I'd think an artist would just be happy to have the exposure.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm not sure that anybody here is suggesting it is a big deal that they copied another's artwork (seemingly without permission) with the intent to profit or claim it as their own, however, it is clearly a copy-and-paste job and an embarrassing situation.

Also in regards to making similar looking characters, people look like other people, news at 11. They're not complete facsimiles.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And I'm saying in the actual reveal footage she didn't actually look the same as the artwork, which is why I posted that image.

Besides, even the artwork still has some pretty big differences form Ellen Page.
18rr2sayvx22ojpg.jpg

Different nose, different chin, different lips, different eyes, different brow, different cheek bones, different hair line.
The Ellen Page resemblance was accidental

Why are you using the changed version and not the original? It's posted right in this thread

Isn't the most likely possibility that some single artist imported an image without the knowledge of anyone else?

So instead of Naughty Dog = Pirates. Shouldn't it be "someone within Naughty Dog" is a pirate?

I would suspect someone will be reprimanded and the image changed. But the outrage culture here is just silly sometimes.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's a picture in a frame within the game trailer.

If people think that ND -intentionally- stole the artwork for that kind of insignificant usage ... I don't even...

Imo, it's either an honest mistake with a bunch of art shuffled and the wrong picture making it through the cracks of licencing

Or

More likely that was contractual art that Ubi did not have the exclusive rights to, and ND purchased from the creator/ owner in all good faith without being told/ realizing it had been used for AC IV beforehand.

I was also thinking it could have been done with Ubi's permission as a tribute of some sort, but given the reaction on twitter, I guess not.

Ubisoft people have reacted to this, including on this very forum the community manager confirmed that the author still works with Ubi and no agreement confirmation. It's a theft. It will be corrected for launch, but it's still a stupid theft that is a center piece in their beautiful trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom