• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: BotW running on CEMU showing remarkable progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wonder if they can improve the draw distance in the emulated version?

well, they've got texture filtering down.
Not bad!
no grass though
0k2n1q62nsky.png

hopefully the engine allows it.

Skyzard

Banned
The best way to play a game is on hardware it wasn't made for? Or is that the most convenient way for someone who doesn't want to spend money in support of the company by purchasing the hardware...

Well yeah.

Considering the WiiU framerate and graphics on a tv are pretty bad [I actually quite like how it looks on the gamepad and don't mind the performance on gamepad]. But 4K/1440p 30fps locked on PC would be sweet.
Not missing out on the gamepad map/inventory management that they scrapped due to the switch version.
Unlimited in-game photos as the game stores them in jpg on the save file that you can only otherwise see as a shrunken picture with line effects across it.
Easily have multiple save files for different runs.

Only thing missing is the gyro control for shrines afaik. And what a shame that would be :p I'll miss it for bow aiming though.

Arulan

Why are they "preserving" a brand new game? Promoting piracy it seems. Really don't understand how it's legal to emulate games still being sold.

Emulation isn't just about preservation. As an owner of a Wii U and soon a Wii U copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I'd like to play it at a significantly higher level of quality than otherwise possible. Whether it's being sold today or not is irrelevant.

correojon

Actually, CEMU will be even smoother than the Switch in the end. And at 4K too.
Also there is nothing to "dispute" here. You have the right to emulate whatever game you own, no matter if it came out yesterday or 10 years ago.

It's literally the best time to do it.
I only mentioned the Switch version´s better performance because it´s the only difference with the WiiU´s. It´s not like BotWU uses the gamepad or has any features that aren´t present in the Switch version that might provide some reasonable arguments for wanting to preserve the WiiU version. You took it the wrong way.

And I agree that you should have the right to emulate any software you own if you also own the hardware, that´s not what I´m disputing.

Regardless of what software they're running, the morality of an emulator itself is not "up for debate" there is literally no debate. If people want to give them money for that effort, there is also nothing wrong with that. Patreon is not payment, they are not selling the software to my knowledge. "Profit" also indicates a gain made on sale of a good or service, which again is not the case here. Anyone can freely downlaod Cemu whether they are a patron or not.
You´re getting too technical just to avoid addressing the topic at hand. English is not my main language, so I´m going to put it in plain terms: CEMU guys are making a ton of money saying they can emulate BotW. That´s a fact.
The morality of an emulator is up for debate as this thread is showing. I´ll say it again: I´m not against people using emulators to play software they own of a hardware they own. But I also think some kind of protection should be put in place for the original software developers. I wouldn´t like spending years making a game only to see it freely available everywhere a few weeks after launch. I don´t think it´s unreasonable to think this way, as it isn´t unreasonable to think that many people will be playing this game without the developers getting anything in return (and in this specific case, some of that hypothetical return seems to be going to the CEMU guys).

MTC100

Banned
I'm a bit curious as to why Cemu is still alive but I guess they are untouchable by Nintendos lawyers. Let's hope for Nintendo that the Switch won't be emulated as soon, however given the fact it has a very common Tegra X1 it's probably only a matter of time...

by the way: Even if you own the Game on the WiiU you are not entitled to download the ISO and play it you only got a license for the WiiU itself. -But we all know no one cares about what's wrong or right anyway, as long as you're safe from getting cought :)

hodgy100

Oh my god you're such a Nintendo apologist. It's totally the company's fault that we're ripping them off. Their own fault for not releasing a product on a platform that would not benefit them. Please don't ruin my rationalization for stealing

yeah piracy is bad.

Emulation is fine

I can hold both these opinions.

I want to play my wiiu copy at a higher res / fps. screw you for trying to ruin that.

Oh please. There's a reason why it's not legal in many countries. It matters when it was released because playing the game at its best possible form is competition to Nintendo,the creator of the actual content. Far more people will be using this to pirate than to backup the game they purchased.

Maybe more people will pirate it because more people own PCs than the Wii U. That's a point worth considering. But from here I would just again argue a couple of points. The first is do you honestly think that this automatically decreases legitimate sales? The second is that even if you answer in the affirmative to the first, do you deny that there are legitimate fans and consumers that are interested in these projects all the same. The sort of derision wherein people act like enthusiasts and hobbyists are just contrivances to cover for the fact that everyone just uses this type of software for piracy is really annoying and insulting to legit fans of these projects.

shandy706

To not be snarky: I think it's disingenuous to create a way to play a game that's been released for less than a month without purchasing it under the umbrella of "emulation" and act like were preserving history or something. I think it's OK to acknowledge that the vast majority he of players will likely not have purchased the product. So in practice this "emulation" is really supporting piracy

We've had this run in on these threads before. As far as Gaf goes most of us interested in emulation buy and own the hardware + games from what I've seen. If someone is found out I'd expect them to be banned.

If I want to play BotW on my Wii U I can....and once this is done, I can play it on PC too if I want.

Pirates aren't welcome here and we shouldn't shun emulation because someone bad may take advantage. You don't fold due to bad eggs in the world.

At $22k a month I want every Wii U game emulated at 100% though...LOL

The best way to play a game is on hardware it wasn't made for? Or is that the most convenient way for someone who doesn't want to spend money in support of the company by purchasing the hardware...
Emulating is the best way to play a ton of games. Maybe Nintendo should make hardware that encourages people to use it over their pc if their own platforms can't run the game decently or just sell the games on pc themselves.

To not be snarky: I think it's disingenuous to create a way to play a game that's been released for less than a month without purchasing it under the umbrella of "emulation" and act like were preserving history or something. I think it's OK to acknowledge that the vast majority he of players will likely not have purchased the product. So in practice this "emulation" is really supporting piracy

You're still being snarky with the usage of quotes around emulation. I don't care how right you think you are. Cut it out. Your first post was garbage and this isn't much better.

20fps. They did it to themselves. I bought the game but damn, the framerate. Ugh. I'm a PC gamer first and foremost, so going from a 144hz monitor and actually rendering at a rate fast enough to use it has been particularly jarring. The game is so good I put up with it, but this CEMU stuff is fantastic. If we manage to get the game running at 60 or even a consistent 30 fps I'll be happy. I don't know that I'll actually play it on CEMU though -- unless there is a way to get my existing save file over anyways. I am a new father so I've had the game since release and have only managed 18 hours so far (trying to play as much as possible..) so restarting is just not an option for me.

Siege.exe

There's a way for people to play Wii U games without purchasing them without a PC, it's called a Wii U. Pirates are going to find whatever way they can, no reason to drag emulation down with them.

MTC100

Banned
I bet everyone already ripped their personal Wii U I bios, and official copy of the game so they can play it, right?

I bet most people got both elsewhere.

There's a way for people to play Wii U games without purchasing them without a PC, it's called a Wii U. Pirates are going to find whatever way they can, no reason to drag emulation down with them.

Well, at least they bought the system then.

If emulation is morally and ethically fine, why have Nintendo, Sega, and Sony all tried to stop it via lawsuits? It's because emulation enables piracy, which poses competition to the original content creators. I will always support original content creators over people emulating, which enables piracy under the guise of preservation.

I'm sure the very fact Wii U is wide hacked means they should have cancelled the Wii U version. Y'know, that'd be "supporting piracy".
It's not piracy when you dump your own game. So can we stop hiding behind the umbrella of "piracy" and concern trolling for a multi billion dollars company ?
That's a funny thing to say when people hide behind the phrase "game preservation" and "I totally dumped my own ROM of said game and didn't just google 'sonic and knuckles' rom".

I dunno, I'm happy other people on PC will get to play this but to pretend as though all people or even most playing it totally dumped their own ROM feels disingenuous.

HardRojo

I bet everyone already ripped their personal Wii U I bios, and official copy of the game so they can play it, right?
AFAIK Cemu doesn't need the Wii U bios and I'm sure GAF members get their copies before emulating them. I haven't, because I don't have a powerful enough PC nor a Wii U, and I'll most likely be playing Zelda next year on a Switch. But I have tried emulating a couple of Wii games I own and I enjoyed them greatly.

phanphare

Banned
In this case it is absolutely untrue. If you want to easily run pirated games you do it on a WiiU.

I don't agree. one need only look at the number of Wii U's out in the wild to see that.

to be clear I'm all for emulation but you'd have to be pretty crazy to think that it doesn't enable piracy. you can accept that fact and still support emulation, however.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
To be fair, I would expect a money support drop after Zelda emulation is complete.

Thats obvious - spending the money to support this project will still be cheaper than getting a WiiU/Switch for people that down own them.

KarmaCow

If emulation is morally and ethically fine, why have Nintendo, Sega, and Sony all tried to stop it via lawsuits? It's because emulation enables piracy, which poses competition to the original content creators. I will always support original content creators over people emulating, which enables piracy under the guise of preservation.

Not that emulation is illegal but don't conflate morality and ethics with legality.

I don't think it's compelling in the least to blindly defer to the interests of corporations in their pursuit of protecting intellectual property.

tuxfool

Banned
Lawsuits aren't about ethics. Corporation wants something and tries to get it.

Luckily the law said otherwise.

Skyzard

Banned
20fps. They did it to themselves. I bought the game but damn, the framerate. Ugh. I'm a PC gamer first and foremost, so going from a 144hz monitor and actually rendering at a rate fast enough to use it has been particularly jarring. The game is so good I put up with it, but this CEMU stuff is fantastic. If we manage to get the game running at 60 or even a consistent 30 fps I'll be happy. I don't know that I'll actually play it on CEMU though -- unless there is a way to get my existing save file over anyways. I am a new father so I've had the game since release and have only managed 18 hours so far (trying to play as much as possible..) so restarting is just not an option for me.

There is, and it's not that hard.

Use ddd with the website homebrew launcher exploit.

Relatively easy and quick for the save file (much longer to transfer the disc/digital version).

Plus you get all your photos in jpg! :)

I did it a day or two ago in practice preparation for cemu. Also got my wiiu pro controller working with the pc with wiinusoft - otherwise cemu has issues with the analogue triggers of the X1 (can't have both enabled) so mapping is great.

I'd rather byuu had gotten that money for his true preservation efforts involved with the SNES. We don't know anything about the accuracy of CEMU, and that bothers me,

tuxfool

Banned
I don't agree. one need only look at the number of Wii U's out in the wild to see that.

to be clear I'm all for emulation but you'd have to be pretty crazy to think that it doesn't enable piracy. you can accept that fact and still support emulation, however.

My point being that if you wanted to play Pirated WiiU games, you could do so far the past two years on a WiiU.

TheMan

Pirates rejoice!

Seriously though, from a technical perspective that's pretty cool. I didn't realize that emulation of last gen consoles was a thing, figured there was more lag time. That said, I am conflicted about enabling piracy of new games where it is still possible to compensate the OG developers.

Aeana

That's a funny thing to say when people hide behind the phrase "game preservation" and "I totally dumped my own ROM of said game and didn't just google 'sonic and knuckles' rom".

I dunno, I'm happy other people on PC will get to play this but to pretend as though all people or even most playing it totally dumped their own ROM feels disingenuous.

Unless you have proof that the people on this forum and not "some people out there in the world" who are speaking about game preservation and supporting this project are pirating, then please keep your "concern" to yourself. Accusing other members of piracy over emulation out of bad faith based on personal assumptions is directly against the rules here, because it results in derails like the one we're experiencing right now where a bunch of people with an agenda ensure that no thread about emulation -- a topic wholly supported here, I might add -- can be had in good faith.

Typically, emulation=piracy derails are banworthy. Because this particular article is not very good, and we seem to need to take the time to once again reiterate this site's policy about these matters, we have elected to be more forthcoming than usual. In the future, we will not be this lenient.

tuxfool

Banned
I'd rather byuu had gotten that money for his true preservation efforts involved with the SNES. We don't know anything about the accuracy of CEMU, and that bothers me,

CEMU isn't cycle accurate. Emulators of relatively modern platforms generally aren't, because it is impractical to do so.

Schlomo

Maybe more people will pirate it because more people own PCs than the Wii U. That's a point worth considering. But from here I would just again argue a couple of points. The first is do you honestly think that this automatically decreases legitimate sales?

You could use that argument to justify allowing any kind of piracy discussion though.

The second is that even if you answer in the affirmative to the first, do you deny that there are legitimate fans and consumers that are interested in these projects all the same. The sort of derision wherein people act like enthusiasts and hobbyists are just contrivances to cover for the fact that everyone just uses this type of software for piracy is really annoying and insulting to legit fans of these projects.

I personally can't wait for it to run perfectly on CEMU, but it still doesn't sit right with me at all that this is available so soon. It's not mutually exclusive.

thefil

The dispute here is really bizarre. Most of us presumably live in a country where a decision on this has been made in court?

There are legal protections both for emulator makers (including closed source and for-profit) and for software creators, in the US. While I would prefer that the emulator be open source for preservation purposes, it's clear the motivation of the CEMU devs is financial, which is not abhorrent given the magnitude of effort being put in.

The piracy of the Wii U version of the game is a separate problem, and is no different than the piracy of other media that are easily platform-shifted (movies etc). Why would many of you advocate changing/destroying the only way to preserve games to get around a problem that will still exist (piracy on the native platform) and exists for all other media (piracy on the PC).

I suspect we're all fucked anyway once CPUs that can run encrypted executables are ubiquitous and we start downloading per-CPU copies of games, but why rush?

22,000 a month more than I make in years lol

How many people are working on it? Shouldn't they start going for switch titles as wii u will be almost done pretty soon

joesiv

yeah piracy is bad.

Emulation is fine

I can hold both these opinions.

I want to play my wiiu copy at a higher res / fps. screw you for trying to ruin that.

Count me in this camp. I love what they do with emulation, but I I hate piracy.

Those 4k screenies are beautiful!

phanphare

Banned
My point being that if you wanted to play Pirated WiiU games, you could do so far the past two years on a WiiU.

I already addressed that point and it also doesn't counter the claim that emulation enables piracy that you originally responded to so I'm not sure what you're trying to get across

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom