• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Throwing the cell into the mix with the AMD processor would be a mess.
Those are two different processor architectures.

it would needlessly complicate the design and massively increase the power consumption of the system. I'm not sure the cell was ever really such a good fit for a gaming console, no matter how many flops it churned out.

Cell is very strong in video/audio processing, it could be used as a coprocessor to assist the main CPU.

Ryoku

Yeah but what if jaguar cores on PS4 are coupled with a Cell with 7 SPEs then it woud be a flop monster.

I don't even know the validity of that. Last thing Sony needs now is to complicate development with three different memory pools, and not to mention bringing back Cell.
I'm not going to discredit it completely, but I'm labeling it as "unlikely" for now. I'm not privy to insider information, so I can't say with confidence what the final machine will carry in terms of specs.

I don't know how difficult it would be to program a game utilizing an eight-core Jaguar CPU with a 7SPE Cell, but I imagine it would be more difficult than programming for Cell alone. That's not even beginning to point out the different memory pools. Three? Really?

Cell is very strong in video/audio processing, it could be used as a coprocessor to assist the main CPU.

Why on earth would you want a Cell processor for that? There are much lighter and cheaper alternatives that are well-versed in doing what you suggested.

i just want to know,

this specs can run agni's philosophy at 1080p60?

say yes pls pls pls

No.

Reiko

Banned
I don't even know the validity of that. Last thing Sony needs now is to complicate development with three different memory pools, and not to mention bringing back Cell.
I'm not going to discredit it completely, but I'm labeling it as "unlikely" for now. I'm not privy to insider information, so I can't say with confidence what the final machine will carry in terms of specs.

I don't know how difficult it would be to program a game utilizing an eight-core Jaguar CPU with a 7SPE Cell, but I imagine it would be more difficult than programming for Cell alone. That's not even beginning to point out the different memory pools. Three? Really?

That would be a hardware disaster waiting to happen.

Polari

The rumour that new guy posted is such complete and utter bullshit that I can't believe people are even discussing it. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Digital Foundry and their sources are correct and what the articles states is more or less what the PS4 is going to contain. As for all this whining about the CPU etc. I don't know where you people get such misguided ideas from but a console is a completely different beast to a Windows laptop.

Gorillaz

i just want to know,

this specs can run agni's philosophy at 1080p60?

say yes pls pls pls

tatum_channing_laughing_hysterically-1508.gif

Found an even better gif

Let's say there is Cell with its own memory taking care of the OS and all the other task, such as sound, I/O and security, while also assisting the CPU with vector inteNsive game code. This would mean having all 8 cores and 4GB DDR5 available for games, making it the most powerful console on the market.

Why on earth would you want a Cell processor for that? There are much lighter and cheaper alternatives that are well-versed in doing what you suggested.

Well, maybe it would cost less for Sony using Cell since it's their tech, instead of using another chip. It already happened with the PS2, where the PS1 CPU was used for sound and other tasks.

Nachtmaer

Throwing the cell into the mix with the AMD processor would be a mess.
Those are two different processor architectures.

it would needlessly complicate the design and massively increase the power consumption of the system. I'm not sure the cell was ever really such a good fit for a gaming console, no matter how many flops it churned out.

Yeah, I don't get some people's obsession with Cell either. Sure, it was a number crunching monster at that time but overall its general purpose computing was limited and it caused devs a lot of headaches.

rdrr gnr

I think I'm in the realistically disappointed camp. I guess all those who feel the same will have to look forward to E3 and see if the games deliver on the visuals. And if those are impressive, it'll only get better. So there's that.

StevieP

Banned
Not 60fps.

The gulf in computing power between an i7 paired with a 680 vs 8 jaguars with an under clocked Pitcairn would preclude that you shouldn't maintain confidence that very high end games would retain a full 1080p resolution.

Well, maybe it would cost less for Sony using Cell since it's their tech, instead of using another chip. It already happened with the PS2, where the PS1 CPU was used for sound and other tasks.

Adding a Cell to the console would cost Sony billions over the course of the generation in the form of integration r&d, motherboard complexity, cost of non-standard memory and the very inclusion of the chip itself.

I think I'm in the realistically disappointed camp. I guess all those who feel the same will have to look forward to E3 and see if the games deliver on the visuals. And if those are impressive, it'll only get better. So there's that.

Are you basing that on specs or did you read the article.

Ashes

Banned
Xbox Xenos = 3x PPE
Cell = 1.5x Xenos

8 core Jaguar = 2x Cell

D:

Wait a sec.. you just reminded me of a dual core vs quad core article... Give me a couple of minutes.. I think it was really good feature and explain in layman terms without patronising the reader, for people who are new to comparing cpus, efficiencies, clock for clock, quadcore vs dual core etc...

give me a couple of minutes...

Ashes

Banned
Can't find the article I was thinking of, but this article is a pretty good replacement:

Can Intel’s Dual Core Beat AMD’s Quad?

edit: It ain't clear cut either way. But those eight cores could ruin a lot of quadcore reputations. Possibly.. er yeah. Shame we're not going to get benchmarks but rather inflated flop counts or whatever artificial ceiling they will type on their powerpoint presentations...

Also, there is literally no way that Sony stick Cell and 512MB of XDR in PS4. They are getting away from that. Yoshida is said to have ordered the hardware guys to build a console that is easy to develop for because third party software is not guaranteed this time around. No way that Sony is going to stick Cell into any console at the expense of gaming performance.

Cell + 512MB XDR would add around $80 to the BoM all in, and that would have to come out of the silicon budget elsewhere otherwise the power requirements would be much too high.

Wait a sec.. you just reminded me of a dual core vs quad core article... Give me a couple of minutes.. I think it was really good feature and explain in layman terms without patronising the reader, for people who are new to comparing cpus, efficiencies, clock for clock, quadcore vs dual core etc...

give me a couple of minutes...

I am going by real world performance gauges. The Xbox Xenon processor is 3x as powerful as a PPE (it is essentially a triple core version), the Cell was rated at around 1.5x the power of the Xenon making that 4.5x the power of the PPE. Octo core Jaguar is 10x the power of a single PPE, therefore it is around 2x the power of the Cell processor.

Ashes

Banned
I am going by real world performance gauges. The Xbox Xenon processor is 3x as powerful as a PPE (it is essentially a triple core version), the Cell was rated at around 1.5x the power of the Xenon making that 4.5x the power of the PPE. Octo core Jaguar is 10x the power of a single PPE, therefore it is around 2x the power of the Cell processor.

Oh you did it that way... clever.

The gulf in computing power between an i7 paired with a 680 vs 8 jaguars with an under clocked Pitcairn would preclude that you shouldn't maintain confidence that very high end games would retain a full 1080p resolution.

Personally I don't directly compare specs in a console vs a desktop PC, as I know for a PC with a GTX 580 for example isn't the same beast as a closed platform console with a custom GTX 580 equivalent.

rdrr gnr

Are you basing that on specs or did you read the article.
Well, both, yet neither. I knew the time of losing hundreds on every unit sold was no longer viable. These machines are good by virtue of being new technology years later -- not because they are inherently cutting edge. I'm sure I'll get over it by the time they show us next-gen games, but I was hoping for a little bit more on the CPU/GPU end. But again, there is still so much we don't know. I was not in the camp of expecting a 4TFLOP machine, but I did want a large, hot monstrosity.

Also, there is literally no way that Sony stick Cell and 512MB of XDR in PS4. They are getting away from that. Yoshida is said to have ordered the hardware guys to build a console that is easy to develop for because third party software is not guaranteed this time around. No way that Sony is going to stick Cell into any console at the expense of gaming performance.

Cell + 512MB XDR would add around $80 to the BoM all in, and that would have to come out of the silicon budget elsewhere otherwise the power requirements would be much too high.

Sounds very practical, and yet is still a shame. People with a lot of PSN games, or even full digital games will feel put out, I think. There's also the issue of the PSN+ instant collection no longer working.

Ashes

Banned
Hence the D:

Doesn't seem like much of a jump to me. Prefer the idea of the quad core, eight threaded Steamroller, that would be a large increase. Jaguar seems like a junk architecture designed for netbooks like Atom.

Quad-core Steamroller would be four threads. But your concern is sound.

I should add that Jaguar is actually much more impressive than I'd given it credit for. Clock for clock it's performing above its pay grade, and these new generations multi-cores work better scaled up then ever before.

And you also have HSA efficiencies to think of which will come off good I reckon.

Sounds very practical, and yet is still a shame. People with a lot of PSN games, or even full digital games will feel put out, I think. There's also the issue of the PSN+ instant collection no longer working.

Is the PS4 going to come with some kind of EM generator that puts out a wave to disable nearby PS3s or something?

Anth0ny

will everyone's ps3 vanish when ps4 comes out?

not worth it for anyone. i'd rather sony keep the price down.

Well, both, yet neither. I knew the time of losing hundreds on every unit sold was no longer viable. These machines are good by virtue of being new technology years later -- not because they are inherently cutting edge. I'm sure I'll get over it by the time they show us next-gen games, but I was hoping for a little bit more on the CPU/GPU end. But again, there is still so much we don't know. I was not in the camp of expecting a 4TFLOP machine, but I did want a large, hot monstrosity.

All that matters is that these machines leave the 360/PS3 in the dust. If we get games looking like Halo 4, Killzone 2/3, Uncharted, The Last of Us, and GOW Ascension currently on these antiques, just imagine what we'll get next gen.

rdrr gnr

All that matters is that these machines leave the 360/PS3 in the dust. If we get games looking like Halo 4, Killzone 2/3, Uncharted, The Last of Us, and GOW Ascension currently on these antiques, just imagine what we'll get next gen.
Yup. That's why I'm still excited yet can still emphasize with the other camp.

i-Lo

You forgot to bold the other parts of the comment, like the mentioning of custom silicon to free up CPU resources. Besides, the GPU is no slouch, and this generation will showcase GPU-centric development for games, compared to last gen's, more CPU-centric approach. Don't let my PC-sided mind detract you from PS4's power. It's powerful, but not in the way people had first imagined.

The more you guys talk about Jaguar, the more depressing this thread gets. I'd imagine some dev from 4A Games declare what an underwhelming piece of *&(% it is. I wonder how much better it is than the WiiU's cpu now...

StevieP

Banned
Personally I don't directly compare specs in a console vs a desktop PC, as I know for a PC with a GTX 580 for example isn't the same beast as a closed platform console with a custom GTX 580 equivalent.

You're going to get sligthly better results in a closed platform due to the very nature of having most or all resources dedicated to gaming, but that doesn't make up for a gulf in computing power. A GTX 650 equivalent in a console doesn't make it perform like a GTX 680, for example. You have hard limits in the amount of juice you have to work with, and no amount of wizard jizz can change that.

StevieP

Banned
The more you guys talk about Jaguar, the more depressing this thread gets. I'd imagine some dev from 4A Games declare what an underwhelming piece of *&(% it is. I wonder how much better it is than the WiiU's cpu now...

3 low power ibm cores at 1.2ghz vs 8 low power amd cores at 1.6 ghz.

Massa

That i7 paired with a 680 was also paired with Windows (I'd assume), and it was running a demo focused on showing graphical features and not at all optimized for the hardware it was running on.

Top Bottom