• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: How PS4 Neo & PS4 will co-exist

Turkoop

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ion-4k-neo-and-the-original-ps4-will-co-exist
Games running in Neo mode must operate at a native rendering resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p) or higher.

Dual Shock 4 remains the primary controller: Sony has no plans to introduce a new joypad for the Neo hardware. The Dual Shock 4 remains unchanged and Sony has actually mandated that all existing peripherals should be supported with no segregation between PS4 and Neo.
No new Controller & games must operate native 1080p.

Sony is happy for developers to list them, but explicitly states that developers are under no obligation to up-sell Neo to original PS4 owners.
I hope this will remain.

muzzymate

This rule seems dumb and potentially indie-unfriendly.

Forward compatibility patches are for old games only: Sony really wants Neo support on all games from October onwards. While older titles can have Neo features patched in, the platform holder will not allow new titles to add Neo features at a later date.

Also, I don't trust game devs to not pull more Hyrule Warriors Legends shenanigans.

jelly

You may throw the PS4 version under the bus.

Seems pretty straightforward. I'm guessing Sony is leaking this deliberately, it's all a bit don't worry, nothing exclusive but look how shiny it could be if you upgrade, nudge nudge.

Ah. finally sense for my comment before. I was wondering why sony allow more support for more controllers on neo but seems eurogamer have access to more info.

This is not very interesting but maybe you find it good.

neo support the more than 4 local controller. On ps4 you only have maximum 4. On neo you can connect more like on ps3.

I do not think this has been published. Maybe it has

eurogamer said:
Developers cannot supply exclusive gameplay features for Neo owners. If the game has a split-screen mode, it must be available on both systems. However, modes can be enhanced - so a two-player split-screen mode on PS4 could be expanded to allow a four-player variant on Neo.

Flopfan

Everything will be 1080p but not everything has to be 60fps.
Still pretty sweet for someone who hasn't gotten a PS4 yet.

Wait so Neo games are guaranteed 1080p no matter what? No more 900p Frobsite games?

That is pretty great news, though that should be easy with that beefy GPU

viHuGi

Banned
Finally some standards, should have been day 1 with Ps4 (Locked 30fps at least etc) but better late than never.

Bad ports need to stop, if they happen Sony should cancell the game from coming to PlayStation system or Microsoft should ban those games from Xbox and you will see they care much more for giving us quality games.

EDIT: VR Games wich dip below 60fps wont be accepted, great again Sony this is how it should be.

This is my main problem with it, we're not sure if it's mandatory though right?

Like for example, what are you going to do with Stardew Valley if it ever came to consoles?
It gets released on PS4. Not really seeing what's stopping that? They're not mandating that every game HAS to have Neo enhancements. Just that all games can have Neo enhancements and they have to work on the base PS4

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Like for example, what are you going to do with Stardew Valley if it ever came to consoles?
It just means both versions need to be, at worst, equal. Many 2D indie titles will likely be the same across both.

jelly

This rule seems dumb and potentially indie-unfriendly.

Also, I don't trust game devs to not pull more Hyrule Warriors Legends shenanigans.

Depends how easy a PS4 game works on Neo. Dev could make PS4 game, Sony tools do the work for Neo, turn up AA and AF. Call it a day.

killroy87

That people even feel the need to point out that the same controller will be used just shows how much of a cluster fuck this all is.

alpha69

As purely in the console owner standpoint, I am pretty happy about Sony's efforts to ensure I don't feel the need to upgrade.

My only real worry is how devs/publishers are gonna respond to this. I'm a little worried about how they'll handle the situation. This is why I really want to hear how exactly a dev can make a NEO and BASE mode of a game. Is it a simple settings switch between the two like on PC or will it require more coding and stuff. I hope someone leaks this info.

As a programmer, the initial reaction in having to consider more hardware is always bad. It always looks bad and worrisome, but if it's actually not that hard, a dev can get used to it pretty easily and complaints will go away eventually. Hopefully, that's what happens.

Ranger X

If the native resolution rule doesn't have any exclusions, (because TRC programming guidelines are extremely detailed generally speaking), what they would need to do is to upscale all their assets and then rebuild their game at the needed resolution. Silly and annoying but still compliant.

Elandyll

Banned
I can only imagine the SDK will include a dev friendly "PS4/ PS4K profiles", so as to not burden small devs with having to code separately towards 2 versions in terms of render target.

More experienced/ larger teams will probably find it a minor impact to have to catter to that requirement, but for newbie/ small indies it better be straightforward if you are going to mandate a Neo mode on top of PS4.

Kill3r7

Finally some standards, should have been day 1 with Ps4 (Locked 30fps at least etc) but better late than never.

Bad ports need to stop, if they happen Sony should cancell the game from coming to PlayStation system or Microsoft should ban those games from Xbox and you will see they care much more for giving us quality games.

EDIT: VR Games wich dip below 60fps wont be accepted, great again Sony this is how it should be.

I am not sure I agree, by that standard some of the best games this gen would have to be cancelled or delayed further.

viHuGi

Banned
I am not sure I agree, by that standard some of the best games this gen would have to be cancelled or delayed further.

it needs to happen mate, things like Batman on Pc or MK need to stop or Bro something on Ps4 per example.

Sony and MS need to set standards and you only launch when you met those.

mosdl

Delaying games to make them perform adequately would not be a bad thing for the industry. Enforcing a fps standard is hard though, that makes certification/qa more expensive.

I can only imagine the SDK will include a dev friendly "PS4/ PS4K profiles", so as to not burden small devs with having to code separately towards 2 versions in terms of render target.

More experienced/ larger teams will probably find it a minor impact to have to catter to that requirement, but for newbie/ small indies it better be straightforward if you are going to mandate a Neo mode on top of PS4.

You would never code two versions of a game on a single platform aside from PC where DX11/DX12 and OpenGL/Vulkan where multiple APIs are in use. Otherwise, you would write the renderer in such a fashion that is configurable via xml/json/script of some sort.

That's on the individual developers to practice best practices when it comes to software development.

Peterthumpa

Yep, DS4 is the worst thing about the system to me. Plus, this is kind of a luxury item so why not an "elite" type controller option?

The only thing bad about the DS4 is the battery life. Really good controller besides that.

Also, I want options. Not buying a new console just for guaranteed 1080p / 60 FPS. If developers create some sort of graphics menu where I could choose between a better AA method and 30/60 FPS, then yes, they have my interest.

mosdl

Yep, DS4 is the worst thing about the system to me. Plus, this is kind of a luxury item so why not an "elite" type controller option?

They can still do a DS4K, I read it as even if there is one you need to support the DS4 on the Neo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
All new titles with Neo support use unified packages that run on both platforms. The CPU binary is identical, while three GPU binaries (shared, PS4-specific and Neo-specific) are all contained in the same package.

Not sure what they mean by 'GPU binary' here - perhaps compiled shaders? But anyway, that might lend more credence to Neo's GPU architecture being revised - though that could mean something GCN 1.2 based, or other new Sony instructions/extensions as much as anything Polaris related for those speculating along those lines.

Anyway, good info to have, it clarifies a fair bit.

Top Bottom