• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

Raist

Banned
I know Sony have gone out of there way to suggest otherwise but has anyone considered the box that comes with PSVR could be the 'secret sauce'?

20151224103523696.jpg

Is it possible to use an external chipset to enhance current games? On the PS I Love You vid Yosh said the plan was originally to launch the PSVR around June but they decided to delay it until October to allow for more development time. What if it was actually to add something to that box? It certainly would make the PSVR a more attractive proposition for those still sitting on the fence.

Yeah it's actually the PS4K slim. It's plugged into a phat PS4 for a laugh, you don't need it.

Man

It's possible, as cost to manufacture won't go up much at all, a higher price will mean more revenue, and the upgraded systems will target the hardcore until the next version anyway. I think MS will top out at $450 though, maybe even $400, as an upgraded system is their chance to relaunch and regain some market share.
Sony obviously sees that as the likely next chess-move by MS if Sony goes public with price first. Unlike XB1 reveal though, Sony is not going in as bad guys (like MS did following DRM scandal) and the PS4K is not obsoleting the PS4 either. Sony might actually swallow the PR-dent willingly (by XB2 going $399 vs $499 for PS4K) in order to slowly raise console launch-price acceptance (for the future).

And damn, the PS4K name is tight and highly marketable.

foxbeldin

Is it possible to use an external chipset to enhance current games? On the PS I Love You vid Yosh said the plan was originally to launch the PSVR around June but they decided to delay it until October to allow for more development time. What if it was actually to add something to that box? It certainly would make the PSVR a more attractive proposition for those still sitting on the fence.

Pretty sure he said manufacturing time because initial sales predictions were too low, but the PSVR was on schedule development wise. He said they could release it in first half, but wouldn't have enough units to meet demand.

hemo memo

Gold Member
What does "replace cuh-1200" mean? Does that mean the new model "PS4K" like "Slim" in previous gen replacing old models in the market or PS4 and PS4K both sold in the market at the same time?

Yoday

Sony obviously sees that as the likely next chess-move by MS if Sony goes public with price first. Unlike XB1 reveal though, Sony is not going in as bad guys (like MS did following DRM scandal) and the PS4K is not obsoleting the PS4 either. Sony might actually swallow the PR-dent willingly (by XB2 going $399 vs $499 for PS4K) in order to slowly raise console launch-price acceptance (for the future).

And damn, the PS4K name is tight and highly marketable.
I agree, I think Sony is much more likely to go $500 than MS. However MS has been experimenting with price and configuration a lot lately. They have had multiple $500 bundles in the last year with the Elite and the Halo 5 bundle. The Elite bundle could have been them trying out $500 again for a high end model. Hmm, it's hard to say really. I still think $400 for a new model and $250 for an XBO slim is a smart move though. Mass market pricing for both units. I think Sony could do something very similar.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Pretty sure he said manufacturing time because initial sales predictions were too low, but the PSVR was on schedule development wise. He said they could release it in first half, but wouldn't have enough units to meet demand.

Didn't he also say to allow for more development time too? I could have sworn he said that. It just seems odd that Sony have gone out of their way several times to say the box doesn't do much other than split the signal. Is it technically possible for an external box to enhance performance?

Didn't he also say to allow for more development time too? I could have sworn he said that. It just seems odd that Sony have gone out of their way several times to say the box doesn't do much other than split the signal. Is it technically possible for an external box to enhance performance?

I don't think it's possible with an ordinary USB connection.

I want that Uncharted blue console man...but want to hold out for a more updated and refined ps4 now. Sometimes rumors really mess up your purchasing plans -_-

jdstorm

Banned
Might be time to trade in my origional model 500gb PS4. See if I can get anything for it. Before the new model launches. It barely gets any use now as it is

Thuway: Regarding point 1 it's something I (as a hardcore gamer) always gravitate towards doing when the console generation gets long in the tooth. Usually the 4+ year mark. If Sony was to provide a new console iteration every three years then I will have officially have built my last ever stationary PC.

Exactly in the same boat as you. Last gen practically forced me into pc gaming for a while.

Harmen

As long as I can play all PS4 releases on my PS4 at a decent framerate, I am fine with this.

A premium PS4 model with some extra horsepower in itself isn't a bad concept. And if all devs focus on the basic PS4 model, those who crave for it should always be able to look forward to a smooth experience on the 4.5. Maybe some patches would allow for Bloodborne to run better, for example? I can handle it's current state just fine, but I know some do not. For them this PS4.5 could be a nice thing.

c0de

guys you are missing something here. i think it will be on the same level as xbon 360 fat=>xbox 360kinect(with kinect plug,hdmi,not as loid and less power consumption)
same goes for xbone.

All the people here who think they know the truth ;-)
But it's part of the fun so why not.

If this happens they need to make it explicitly clear that all games will be made to run as good as possible on the ps4 normal and that that the ps4k will never get exclusive games. If they don't I'm fucking out of consoles next gen.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
As long as I can play all PS4 releases on my PS4 at a decent framerate, I am fine with this.

A premium PS4 model with some extra horsepower in itself isn't a bad concept. And if all devs focus on the basic PS4 model, those who crave for it should always be able to look forward to a smooth experience on the 4.5. Maybe some patches would allow for Bloodborne to run better, for example? I can handle it's current state just fine, but I know some do not. For them this PS4.5 could be a nice thing.

For me: 4k output for media playback and 1080p/60fps upgrade for games with better AA solutions. We just may see a few 4k Indie games but nothing more. Forwards and backwards compatibility.

I feel the same. If iterative consoles happen, I'll never buy a gaming PC again.

They're basically the same thing anyway, just without the PC hassles.

Some people here say "I'll go PC then" but they would have to upgrade as often, it would just cost them more because they don't get a mass market price, unlike on consoles. Plus their non official spec would get a worse support than the official closed specs, so outside of the mods and general openness, there's no real incentive left to go PC. You'd just get less for your bucks.

This kind of consoles could actually kill gaming PCs for good because you get both consoles advantages (closed specs, affordability because of mass production and a potential small subside, ease of use / plug and play, stability, console optimizations) AND PC advantages (top hardware, quickly evolving architecture, full compatibility both backward from PS4 and forward). I suspect more PC gamers would go consoles. On a board like GAF though, you could find more people trying to go the other way. They're just not the majority.

As a father of two under 4 years old, I would have to say I agree. PC has always been my main squeeze, but with more responsibly and less time than ever, I would be all about console iterations. Sometimes I spend my precious hour or 30 minutes a day I get to game trouble shooting, and it's a real drag.

The real reason I've kept up with pc,even while owning both consoles, is performance. If I can get a new console iteration every few years that keeps performance relevant then I'd be happy with that. I play most everything with a controller on pc nowadays anyway.

Having said that, I've already stated that I don't expect the ps4k to have any sort of performance gains. I'm still betting on smaller footprint, 4k output support, better wireless, and probably psvr processing box now inside the system. Same apu and power.

prag16

Banned
What does "replace cuh-1200" mean? Does that mean the new model "PS4K" like "Slim" in previous gen replacing old models in the market or PS4 and PS4K both sold in the market at the same time?

That's what I'm assuming. I'm expecting a performance increase smaller (relatively speaking) than 3DS -> n3DS.

PS4.1 is probably a better name than PS4.5. I think some people are setting themselves up for major disappointment, with some of the powerhouse expectations. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine Sony would fragment the base, and relegate the 30+mm existing users to "peasant" hardware status.

DieH@rd

Banned

This is a sensible view on a "PS4 Slim" option. If sony wanted to simplify the console, they would not go wild on upgrading it. Smaller APU could be clocked better, which is an easy to introduce addition. Newly coded game apps could easily "flip the switch" and the console would raise the clocks, same as on older PS consoles that had variable clocks [most famously on PSP].

THE:MILKMAN

That's what I'm assuming. I'm expecting a performance increase smaller (relatively speaking) than 3DS -> n3DS.

PS4.1 is probably a better name than PS4.5. I think some people are setting themselves up for major disappointment, with some of the powerhouse expectations. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine Sony would fragment the base, and relegate the 30+mm existing users to "peasant" hardware status.

Although I completely understand the position of this revision being just a APU die shrink with a few media upgrades and HDMI 2.0, I can't equate it with being discussed by devs at GDC.

Devs would not need to be briefed and I wouldn't of thought completely new dev kits would be required if the upgrades don't affect games. I'm going with this revision being somewhere between a nominal mid cycle slim and a PS5 until Kotaku/Eurogamer update.

Edit:

Also it could be a big missed opportunity if it is just a slim+ if MS go further with the Xbox One revision.

paischu

This is a sensible view on a "PS4 Slim" option. If sony wanted to simplify the console, they would not go wild on upgrading it. Smaller APU could be clocked better, which is an easy to introduce addition. Newly coded game apps could easily "flip the switch" and the console would raise the clocks, same as on older PS consoles that had variable clocks [most famously on PSP].

So basically like a few here have said, Slim style upgrade with 4K media capabilities.

I will wait for this new version than instead of grabbing the Uncharted 4 Bundle. Just give me the slim in Fall 2016 and I'll be a happy new PS4 owner.

Although I completely understand the position of this revision being just a APU die shrink with a few media upgrades and HDMI 2.0, I can't equate it with being discussed by devs at GDC.

Devs would not need to be briefed and I wouldn't of thought completely new dev kits would be required if the upgrades don't affect games. I'm going with this revision being somewhere between a nominal mid cycle slim and a PS5 until Kotaku/Eurogamer update.

Yeah it doesn't add up yet. I don't see the point in only slightly increasing performance either. Why force the devs to create two options for only marginal gains? Including the VR box doesn't make sense either with how they are selling it currently.

The open talk from the devs about the PS upgrade makes you wonder where the chatter is for the Xbox upgrade.

Nibiru

Banned
This might make me rethink psvr. I mean if i have to buy another ps4 for it to work best then I might as well buy the Vive. I have have a pc fully capable of using the Vive but I figured for an entry level vr the psvr was ideal at that price point but now not so much.

THE:MILKMAN

Well I knew about it before Zhuge knew about it before Kotaku wrote about it before GAF went mental over it.

I'll just say this: Don't trust everything you read on the internet.

I think most would be happy just to know if it is slim+ or actually a decent bump in game performance. Your post could be taken either way!

RedSwirl

They've been doing it since the PS1 and have always been fine.

If anything, I'm not seeing the evidence that gives MS any advantage. Even if a Xbox 1.5 absorbs the previous 20 million, that's still less than half of what PS4 userbase has now.

Sony starting from scratch doesn't eliminate the fact they would still have the biggest mindshare going into next gen and only need to convince those same people to buy their new console.

They weren't really always fine though, the beginning of the PS3 generation proved that (despite the console starting out with PS2 BC and still having PS1 BC). Plus, other transitions have shown users are fickle when choosing their next console. By and large they don't really have brand loyalty because the only things usually connecting one console to the next from the same manufacturer is the brand name. It's probably the reason each new cycle is a total reshuffling of the deck. There's no guarantee that mindshare carries from one generation to the next. In fact much of the time it doesn't. If the PS5 starts from scratch, one mistake on Sony's part or one surprise move on Microsoft's part could totally shift the momentum like it did for Microsoft going into this generation.

Turning towards a hardware-agnostic ecosystem approach could bring some stability to this. People would end up buying into the PlayStation ecosystem or the Xbox ecosystem which would give them more to hold onto by upgrading from a Sony console to a Sony console, or a Microsoft console to a Microsoft console. I know the main reason I've stuck with iOS and Windows is because of all the software I've bought for each platform.

I feel the same. If iterative consoles happen, I'll never buy a gaming PC again.

Some people here say "I'll go PC then" but they would have to upgrade as often, it would just cost them more because they don't get a mass market price, unlike on consoles. Plus their non official spec would get a worse support than the official closed specs, so outside of the mods and general openness, there's no real incentive left to go PC. You'd just get less for your bucks.

This kind of consoles could actually kill gaming PCs for good because you get both consoles advantages (closed specs, affordability because of mass production and a potential small subside, ease of use / plug and play, stability, console optimizations) AND PC advantages (top hardware, quickly evolving architecture, full compatibility both backward from PS4 and forward). I suspect more PC gamers would go consoles. On a board like GAF though, you could find more people trying to go the other way. They're just not the majority.

It could really go one way or the other for a lot of people.

Since going to PC I don't think I'll ever not play games on an open platform again. The main reason I've stayed with PC isn't higher fidelity but really the increased freedom I have with my software and hardware -- the fact that I can install my games on anything I want.

Sony and Microsoft taking a hardware-agnostic approach would decrease the difference between PC and console a bit, but I personally think that if handled right it could be to the benefit of consoles. Over the years the manufacturers could eventually figure out multiple form factors that connect to the same software library (even potentially a handheld one down the line). Giving the software library a sense of permanence beyond the life of one console would increase the value of console games for me and at least make more more likely to support a console in addition to PC. At the same time yes, it would bring console hardware a bit closer to PC hardware. Probably not in-line with high-end PC hardware due to size, price, and power consumption, but the gap wouldn't be as big.

And theoretically if console manufacturers kept the architecture and API consistent things would be more stable for developers in that regard. Optimization might take more, but actually figuring out the platform might not be as hard upon the appearance of new hardware.

onQ123

By the way please tell me this isn't the Slim & they are not going with the cheap sliding top loading model already?

(I don't remember what patent I got this photo from)
bMyv52R.png

onQ123

I find it kinda ignorant that people keep going back to it just being media that's in 4K even though none of the information that has been leaked point to it just being for media. It reminds me of how the guy from Tested went into the interview with Richard Marks saying that the PSVR breakout box was doing the reprojecting & so on & just ignored Richard Marks when he told him that it was the PS4 that was doing the 120FPS then he came out of the interview & still said the BS that he was saying before he was told the right information.

Caayn

Oh god those are the worst
Meh, they're actually preferable in my opinion.

You can always take out the disc without needing to force it out if the mechanism breaks, you can easily clean the lens if needed. The only con I can think of is that a slot loading drive looks fancier (subjective) and is easier to set-up when there's not much vertical space.

I find it kinda ignorant that people keep going back to it just being media that's in 4K even though none of the information that has been leaked point to it just being for media. It reminds me of how the guy from Tested went into the interview with Richard Marks saying that the PSVR breakout box was doing the reprojecting & so on & just ignored Richard Marks when he told him that it was the PS4 that was doing the 120FPS then he came out of the interview & still said the BS that he was saying before he was told the right information.
There's a major difference between those comparisons. In one case you have members of the tech media not understanding a basic concept told to them by a person who actually worked on the device. In another case you have skeptical forum posters who find a rumor published by a sometimes questionable site hard to believe in its entirety.

Reading through your post history concerning PC gaming is... Let's just call it fascinating. But sure these iterative consoles are totally going to kill a market that dwarfs console gaming by multiples.

I know Sony have gone out of there way to suggest otherwise but has anyone considered the box that comes with PSVR could be the 'secret sauce'?

20151224103523696.jpg

I know this has already been answered (usb) but whenever there is any mention of secret sauce of any kind, best practice is always to throw it out lol.

I mean the reason people are skeptical is because the laws of physics still apply. You can't *natively* render a typical aaa game with typical aaa quality without a drastic cut in render budget in a console sized thermal envelope, even at 14nm and an extra teraflop or two as you've suggested. This thing is going to certainly have extra hardware power to it though. Where there's smoke there is fire

Lady Gaia

I mean the reason people are skeptical is because the laws of physics still apply. You can't *natively* render a typical aaa game with typical aaa quality without a drastic cut in render budget in a console sized thermal envelope, even at 14nm and an extra teraflop or two as you've suggested. This thing is going to certainly have extra hardware power to it though. Where there's smoke there is fire

Bingo. Just like the PS2 allowed developers to target 1080i if the wanted to, and a tiny handful did, the PS4K will likely be the first taste of console 4K gaming. Most titles will be upscaled but could well be upscaled from intermediate resolutions, just like most HD titles prior to this generation used sub-native resolution framebuffers. Some titles will doubtless benefit from other aspects of the UHD specification, including HDR and improved color gamut.

Skepticism about an all-4K native console this generation is not the same thing as denying that a mid-cycle upgrade wouldn't be able to offer extra horsepower to make an incremental step in the right direction. I'm still betting that even in the PS5 generation we don't see a whole lot of AAA 4K native titles, just like the 360/PS3 era were generally still struggling to render HD natively.

Top Bottom