• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Leaked PS4 Slim is legit (bootup video)

velociraptor

Looking forward to NEO redesign. It's gotta be better looking to get more sales.

The last time they made a good looking console was when they made a PS3 or a Ps2 Slim. And as long as they keep using that grainy plastic, the NEO is going to look bad irrespective of the actual design.

What's the point of a PS4 slim? Isn't the PS4 sleek as shit? The XBONE on the other hand really needed a slim version. Bulky motherfucker.

Component reduction, weight reduction etc. Weight reduction matters when you are shipping tens of millions of something around the world.

I really really don't get the point of this new model without UHD Blu-ray support or some other worthwhile feature added. What's new here? Just 4k support?
Console makers do this to make new models with cheaper components (or newer, efficient ones) to make more money. This way they can sell it at a discount and still make the same money off each unit. Of course, selling at a discount will get them more sales.

Boke1879

I may be in the minority here but i think the slim PS4 looks amazing. I love minimalism and this is exactly that, simple shape, small, straight to the point. As a lover of white consoles, i think the slim PS4 would look even better to me in white.

Anyway, lets see now how the Neo will look like. Can't wait for that September 7 event !

You're not wrong. There is nothing offensive about the design of this model. It's not the sexiest thing in the world, but it's not horrible. People focusing on the "look" as any sort of selling point in this thread don't know that 95% of consumers could give two fucks.

Consumers will see a cheaper PS4 and buy it. Mothers and fathers buying this for their children will get it. It's all about the games.

Yep. I understand that during the event there will be other stuffs to be covered (the Neo, possibly a new PSP3, even just the official specs of the Slim), but this level of leak...is disappointing I presume.

Why would that be? Every Playstation console was made slimmer. It was just a matter of when, really...

jett

D-Member
This. Like... My OG is really a fighter jet when I play certain games so I would love this system to be taken through the task when officially released.

It'll probably take some weeks or even months for one of those things to start taking off, if they are in fact prone to do.

You're not wrong. There is nothing offensive about the design of this model. It's not the sexiest thing in the world, but it's not horrible. People focusing on the "look" as any sort of selling point in this thread don't know that 95% of consumers could give two fucks.

Consumers will see a cheaper PS4 and buy it. Mothers and fathers buying this for their children will get it. It's all about the games.

This right here.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
welp, i guess it's sold now. ps4 for 200.

If the neo doesnt come until 2017 I guess I hopefully can pick up the slim for 250 in September for a loss of 50 bucks. I cant miss the fall games and psvr.

Until then i guess Im vita only.

Console makers do this to make new models with cheaper components (or newer, efficient ones) to make more money. This way they can sell it at a discount and still make the same money off each unit. Of course, selling at a discount will get them more sales.

You'd think because of molds, economy of scale, existing inventory etc that it wouldn't make much sense to make such a minor adjustment. I get the practice generally, but I mean honestly how much cheaper can the PS4 get? I guess we could get to PS3 super slim levels lol.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
still their best redesign. i have the ToX LE one. so gorgeous.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. PS3 slim was my favorite console design of last gen.
It is their best if not the best looking console, I have all my console on display and even with my Blu-ray player it stands out like a hot girl in a comic store.
On topic
This ain't no normal leak, someone just got this off gumtree WTF?

I was hoping this was fuck. That's one ugly console.

-d0hv

I actually, aside form the missing light bar, like it more. I'm staunchly opposed to glossy plastic though.

So who's going to buy one? With iterative hardware now on the scene surely the market will be quite small for slim consoles.

Supposedly anyone who's wanting to buy into the PlayStation ecosystem for the cheapest price. It's simply replacing the existing PS4.

Guess Who

Banned
So who's going to buy one? With iterative hardware now on the scene surely the market will be quite small for slim consoles.

People who don't want to spend $400-$500 on a Neo.

It's the same idea as keeping last year's iPhone around for cheaper. Does basically the same shit, just not quite as well, and some people would rather save the money.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

The Neo models are for less price conscious consumers.

Precedent suggests there can be a large market of buyers below certain price points.

We are kind of in new territory here with a higher end (new spec) and lower end models simultaneously, though. The balancing act will be to ensure the higher end model doesn't make the cheaper model unattractive to that traditional, large body of more price conscious customers. It'll be a neat trick if they can pull it off, though - reach the mass market as before while optimizing average revenue and margin per console sold depending on the consumer who is buying.

Boke1879

Not at all. This "slim" will sell like hot cakes and sell more than Neo no doubt. Mass consumers care about price and they'll flock to this.

Neo is more for people like us. Willing to pay that extra money for more horsepower.

If you think this is ugly, just wait till you see the final Neo hardware. Your eyes ain't ready. I suggest everyone listen to a live podcast instead of watching the conference. Your eyes will thank me.

They could just not reveal the hardware like they did during the PS4 reveal lol.

r3n4ud

Oh man, really hope this is real. I've been waiting for a slim model to pick up a PS4.

Neo does nothing for me since I don't have a 4k tv, so this would do nicely.

kirblar

Given how well the ps2 sold well after people had moved on to the ps360 gen, there's a way larger market for budget options than you think.

CrayToes

Sony and their god damn grainy materials. Neo better not follow this design.
Otherwise I'll be pissed whilst I buy it day one

Oh man, really hope this is real. I've been waiting for a slim model to pick up a PS4.

Neo does nothing for me since I don't have a 4k tv, so this would do nicely.

Neo probably has benefits even if you have 1080 display. Not saying the slim is a bad choice doe, interested to see how they pitch Neo at the meeting.

Cake Boss

Banned

Someone who doesn't have a PS4 and doesn't have a 4k TV to make use of the Neo yet, or someone who doesn't have a PS4 and doesn't wait until 2017 for a $399-$499 Neo console.

Someone like me and the mass market.

longdi

Banned
Looks ugly af.
The PS4 logo does not rotate now.
The power and eject buttons are inconveniently placed
Why the huge space between the 2 USB ports?
Cheap chrome plastic lining? Back to 2004?
It is not even much slimmer than OG PS4.
Fail Sony, they rushed this thing out.

I wonder how much the guy bought it for? Or how much did the gumtree seller sold it for?
So we are going to monitor gumtree for leaks in the future?
What the heck is a gumtree?

leeh

Regarding the TV, it's most likely this one or a size variant, so 1080p not 4k.

The Samsung 4K TV's don't have that little lip in the middle of the TV. The 4K dream isn't over yet.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why would that be? Every Playstation console was made slimmer. It was just a matter of when, really...

So you think they are happy about this? Even if they are spending money and time to set up a conference? Of course not only for that, but still...

Top Bottom