• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Wins E3 On Its Own Terms

Crazyorloco

Nintendo did fantastic. It was like it was Nintendo Week. Their presentation was informative and entertaining. If you weren't interested in the Wii U before, last week probably changed your mind. I'm definitely getting a Wii U.

(for the Xbox one I am looking forward to that Master chief collection though...)

I think they should have a smash bros tournament yearly. I'd like to see Microsoft and Sony do something like that too. it was great.

MisterHero

I'd like to know why consoles with greater 3rd-party presence are considered victories for the platform holders and not the actual 3rd-parties themselves.

>_>

Kimawolf

I think that if you are a fan of Nintendo software, they did fantastic this year. Some good stuff this year with more next year. Their marketing this year was laser focused at Nintendo fans and was wildly successful in that respect. If you aren't into Nintendo software it was a complete flop. Nintendo's E3 was an absolute goose egg where compelling mainstream 3rd party content is concerned.

The problem is that 3rd party software sales numbers haven't just been lackluster, they have been tragic. The only way anything will happen with third parties is if something third party sells big, and then you are probably only looking at software in the genre that happens to succeed.

Well here is the thing, Nintendo had some very good software for all people, that was different than what was being showed at Sony and MS. And Sony focused on Sony fans, and MS on MS fans, whats the point? And what is Nintendo software? Define that for me? Is there a such thing as "Sony Software" or MS software?"

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd like to know why consoles with greater 3rd-party presence are considered victories for the platform holders and not the actual 3rd-parties themselves.

>_>

The accumulation of a platform holders games provided by it's own studios and 3rd parties absolutely does make up that equation which defined what platform is worth the most to own. That's why WiiU ranks dead last. I don't see what they showed doing anything but for their core audience and even myself who is critical am driven more to want one now but not for all the games shown. The 3rd parties provide amazing games though and you either have or don't have that support.

Well here is the thing, Nintendo had some very good software for all people, that was different than what was being showed at Sony and MS. And Sony focused on Sony fans, and MS on MS fans, whats the point? And what is Nintendo software? Define that for me? Is there a such thing as "Sony Software" or MS software?"

Outside of Splatoon, the games shown were mainly Nintendo IP. Splatoon was a nice surprise that is new and different. Sony and MSFT have much more going for them so it's hard to quantify their games with the same description as Nintendo. I guess that's a compliment to Nintendo in a way.

Yep they had my favorite stuff from e3.

I feel like they have realized that they lost the war to win the general public so they are now focusing on getting their fans to buy as much software as possible to make up for the lack of hardware sales. Maybe get a few million more fans to buy the system this year.

Tookay

Like almost every cycle since SNES, it's not party time for 3rd parties. And while I loved Zelda, that brief footage didn't say anything relevant. The Witcher 3 or even Dragon Age Inquisition did more at E3. Drive Club showed better at E3. After the inertia of a field and some horseback riding and a cool looking boss wears, it did little else.

I don't really think that's true. I think that little bit sparked off a lot more conversation and hype than anything Witcher 3, DA, or DC has ever drummed up. They may be GAF darlings but even here, they were drowned out. Look at the Game of E3 thread for proof.

And while it may be impossible to extrapolate what the rest of the gaming community thought, just a cursory glance around the various sites suggests there's a lot of speculation, questions/interviews, and trailer views on it. And they did it all while saving the heaviest stuff for a bigger reveal later. That's pretty economical.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The accumulation of a platform holders games provided by it's own studios and 3rd parties absolutely does make up that equation which defined what platform is worth the most to own. That's why WiiU ranks dead last. I don't see what they showed doing anything but for their core audience and even myself who is critical am driven more to want one now but not for all the games shown. The 3rd parties provide amazing games though and you either have or don't have that support.

Outside of Splatoon, the games shown were mainly Nintendo IP. Splatoon was a nice surprise that is new and different. Sony and MSFT have much more going for them so it's hard to quantify their games with the same description as Nintendo. I guess that's a compliment to Nintendo in a way.

What do you mean by this?

I see less Angry Birds, Farmville, and Candy Crush Saga from Nintendo's lineup and more stuff akin to Minecraft, TF2, Dota 2, LoL, and 'Indie-esque' games. Looking at what new franchises Nintendo has, Splatoon and Codename: STEAM take more design cues from games currently popular on PC than they do from either traditional AAA Titles or mobile titles. The feel of both the Digitial Event, Treehouse Live, and the Smash Invitational is something that I would have expected from a company like Valve. This year, Nintendo feels more akin to a company like Valve than they have in years past. To me, it feels like Nintendo is the first big publisher (I mean big publisher as in Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take-Two, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo whose games make up the majority of major releases) to actually understand the indie movement and make games that are influenced by that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Japan_Studio

Sony been making indy games for years, even some of the top vita games like soul sacrifice where made by tiny teams.

Riki

Like almost every cycle since SNES, it's not party time for 3rd parties. And while I loved Zelda, that brief footage didn't say anything relevant. The Witcher 3 or even Dragon Age Inquisition did more at E3. Drive Club showed better at E3. After the inertia of a field and some horseback riding and a cool looking boss wears, it did little else.

I already said a lot earlier but you can't realistically win E3 with what they had. It's a slap in the face to systems with not only great games but vastly superior in quantity and quality.
A slap in the face.
Oh my.

Doesn't matter unless it translate to sales, next few months will be interesting.

Another problem is Monday if you did a Google search on "who won E3" it was overwhelming Sony had won.

And not just video game news sites I'm talking about Forbes, CNN, CNET, Times magazine etc. news sites that shape general public opinion and consciousness.

On Wednesday Google news had generally equal amounts slight lead to Sony and then Nintendo.

And if you search it today it's mudeled, but the majority you see are divided between Sony and Nintendo.

E3 will change nothing IMHO.

It is rare that any one watching E3 goes out immediately and purchases as a result of E3 IMHO.

Especially when a majority of the games shown will not be released for months and years after they have shown.

The battle for the hearts and minds of single-console-mass-market owners continues in the week to week games releases, and cost of the console, and the perception.

What company can consistently communicate this message during the course of the coming months and year will be in the best position.

I think it obvious what company is best positioned to do this effort.

Ask yourself, who has the resources and best position to continue to communicate a consistent message of game releases, exclusives, and has allot ammunition to spend week to week?

Regardless, Nintendo improved its position, at minimum with the hardcore.

You need to remember it's entirely subjective. One person might claim Sony won E3 while another might claim Microsoft won E3 while another might claim Nintendo won E3. There is no right or wrong answer. Just like the games that appeal to you probably won't appeal to the next guy that posts in this thread.

Very true.
Everything always does come down to subjectivity.

But I'll argue that "Nintendo had my favorite games at E3" is different from, "Nintendo gained the most from E3" or "Nintendo won E3".

The Digital Event + the Smash Bros. competition + all those in depth Treehouse vids made, at least on a presentation level, Nintendo the winner to me. Awkward stage shows really do seem old fashioned in comparison.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Very true.
Everything always does come down to subjectivity.

But I'll argue that "Nintendo had my favorite games at E3" is different from, "Nintendo gained the most from E3" or "Nintendo won E3".

Eh that's there's this thing called majority consensus It's what humanity has often used as a rough judging mechanisms.

Shinta

Banned
Another problem is Monday if you did a Google search on "who won E3" it was overwhelming Sony had won.
That's part of why their conference was so brilliant though. We got to fully see it for ourselves, and we decide who won for ourselves, not the media.

I honestly can't imagine how anyone thought Sony won. I was fully sold on PS4 last year, and love Sony, I intensely hate MS, and I love Nintendo. But I thought Nintendo won it this year with an innovative presentation style and the best games. And 2nd place was clearly MS, with more games shown, and better games shown. Coming in last was Sony this year, with an awkward conference filled with very bad, cheesy jokes, slow pacing, and a fair amount of non-game related material. And not a single surprise from any of their first party studios at all, with their two best trailers (Bloodborne, MGSV) both leaked beforehand. It was one of the worst Sony shows in recent memory.

If the press can't be trusted to even realize any of that, Nintendo clearly, clearly is taking the right approach in sidestepping them.

Tookay

What company can consistently communicate this message during the course of the coming months and year will be in the best position.

Ask yourself, who has the resources and best position to continue to communicate a consistent message of game releases, exclusives, and has allot ammunition to spend week to week?

The one who's been solely focused on this medium for 30+ years, has a $5+ billion war chest, and doesn't have to synergize shit between its various egotistical television/film/computer/software/camera/tablet divisions?

TSM

But there is such a thing as 3rd party software which was almost completely absent from Nintendo's showing. The value proposition going into E3 for the Wii U was that it was pretty much only worthwhile for a buyer if they HAVE to have Nintendo software and the 3DS isn't enough. That hasn't changed.

Doesn't matter unless it translate to sales, next few months will be interesting.

And not just video game news sites I'm talking about Forbes, CNN, CNET, Times magazine etc. news sites that shape general public opinion and consciousness.

On Wednesday Google news had generally equal amounts slight lead to Sony and then Nintendo.

And if you search it today it's mudeled, but the majority you see are divided between Sony and Nintendo.

It is rare that any one watching E3 goes out immediately and purchases as a result of E3 IMHO.

Especially when a majority of the games shown will not be released for months and years after they have shown.

The battle for the hearts and minds of single-console-mass-market owners continues in the week to week games releases, and cost of the console, and the perception.

tumblr_m6am52hnoS1r00g1wo2_500.gif

The most important thing is that Nintendo's show did a lot to fix the Wii U's terrible image and restore confidence. The system was on the front page pretty much everywhere, Zelda was the E3 top story on quite a few websites, Splatoon got a ton of positive buzz, and for some reason, hardly anybody really gave a fuck about the near total absence of third party titles. Which struck me as odd and funny. Don't think 3rd parties were amused, though.
I ask myself if they can "break free" (yes, it's a bad term because it isn't bad to have 3rd party support haha) of the problem that lack of 3rd parties lowers their sales.

Saying, heavily expanding their "second party", collaborations or direct publishing of 3rd party studio games - approach.

While Bayonetta 2 won't earn that much money on its own, it will move some consoles. If you move some consoles you move further game sales. Saying that the publishing of mid-tier-games makes sense in their ecosystem.

The question is how much games can they actually publish.

Also, indies are on board, especially if it's "risk free kickstarted" and they're going to create larger games in the future too. This point is probably more important for future platforms, but the mass can produce far more games than the western oligopoly of Ubisoft, Activision and EA, who basically reduced their portfolio to 3 annual franchises and some fillers (but very important franchises). But we have to wait a bit to see that future. ^^

So, if they have enough input to expand their core-base, their hardware sales are going to increase too and traditional 3rd parties could publish more games. Nintendo has to expand and create more content and high-quality content.

And also never make the mistake again to sell the hardware at a loss from the beginning.

pixlexic

Banned

overwhelmingly sony won? care to link that?
from what I have seen they overwhelmingly were said to come in third place by most people. They didn't really show anything new.

IMO nintendo clearly had the best showing.

MisterHero

Yeah, Nintendo had almost zero 3rd-party support. That has negative business repercussions. However, they did the best thing they could do and supported their own system with a variety of games. Even though Nintendo has their limits, that is an equally positive action. Nintendo lacking in one area doesn't mean that they can't make up for it in another.

As for WiiU ranking dead last, that's kinda subjective. Or is ranking dead last routine for Nintendo succeeding at something? I can't decide.

FWIW here's my conference ratings. I'm biased, but even I thought MS's would be the best show this year.

Nintendo - A
MS - A
Ubi - B
Sony - B-
EA - lol

They are right they did. It would be hard to not justify Nintendo winning e3 with the amount of content, coverage and dedication they had at this event. Everything was truly for the gamers here and just all around fantastic. The smash bros tournament was absolutely insane. Everyone wanted some live stage reaction well goddamn was that enough for ya? ;)

Terrell

i suppose so. however i don't know how likely that will be when most of these companies seem to be making more western games than before. the biggest indication will be where dragon quest will go. i think it's a real 50/50 on whether it comes out for the wii u or ps4 at this point.

smaller publishers who have backed sony through the ps3 era may continue to do so. i'm talking about mages, idea factory, and nis.

Yes, there will be some developers who will stand by the PS4. For now, at least. As always, the situation with companies like NIS is always "survive". If there's a perceived weakness and their traditional audience abandons PS4, then their options are highly limited.

As for Japanese companies making western games... yes, they have, for all the financial gain it's gotten them (read: none). And the western push seems consolidated to "AAA releases", whereas there's no room for single-A or B titles, as publishers learned the hard way last generation. But that doesn't mean there isn't a desire to make those A-and-B tier titles, just that there's been no market to put them in. If they sell it right, Nintendo could make that space for them.

I'm looking at something like Persona 5 getting a Wii U port if Atlus thinks there's a place for it (read: if FExSMT sells moderately well). Or saving Rodea the Sky Soldier from publisher hell and having it re-tooled for Wii U. Little things that add up over time.

It won't happen overnight, though. But I am curious about it.

The problem is that 3rd party software sales numbers haven't just been lackluster, they have been tragic. The only way anything will happen with third parties is if something third party sells big, and then you are probably only looking at software in the genre that happens to succeed.

And for something 3rd-party to sell big, someone has to take the risk. It's a catch-22. Which is why I think it will happen in Japan.

The fact that Nintendo prioritized 60fps for their games no matter how much "30fps is fine" is enough reason for them to win and this is with a console that as seen as a shinier Xbox 360.

I'm so tired of this chase to make games a movie experience or something blockbuster and the audacity to show 30fps racing games. What a letdown from Sony since last year and it sucks that MS isn't doing much to keep them in check.

Kimawolf

I ask myself if they can "break free" (yes, it's a bad term because it isn't bad to have 3rd party support haha) of the problem that lack of 3rd parties lowers their sales.

Saying, heavily expanding their "second party", collaborations or direct publishing of 3rd party studio games - approach.

While Bayonetta 2 won't earn that much money on its own, it will move some consoles. If you move some consoles you mov further game sales. Saying that the publishing of mid-tier-games makes sense in their ecosystem.

The question is how much games can they actually publish.

Also, indies are on board, especially if it's "risk free kickstarted" and they're going to create larger games too. This point is probably more important for future platforms, but the mass can produce far more games than the western oligopoly of Ubisoft, Activision and EA, who basically reduced their portfolio to 3 annual franchises and some fillers (but very important franchises). But we have to wait a bit to see that future. ^^

So, if they have enough input to expand their core-base, their hardware sales are going to increase too and traditional 3rd parties could publish more games. Nintendo has to expand and create more content and high-quality content.

And also never make the mistake again to sell the hardware at a loss from the beginning.

Well I think Nintendo has no choice but to create a true "Nintendo Ecosystem", where they basically act as the bank for second party/exclusive content and indies. The interesting thing happens when or if they begin to create enough games to fill in the gaps missing in their portfolio. Then you have a situation like you're getting now where it's "Well do you want to choose between Sony and MS, who will share the vast majority of their games with PC, or pick a Nintendo console where you know 90 percent of the games will be exclusive content made for that Nintendo platform?" This generation for some the choice may not be that tough, but I think as time goes on it will get harder and harder, and if they put out better hardware in the coming generation, streamlining their mobile and console platforms then I think they will win that question every time. ESPECIALLY if all the indie and smaller developer things they are doing show fruition.

I think Nintendo is setting up a situation where they will not have as many games as Sony or MS but they'll have by far the most exclusive and original games, and like we've seen with Splatoon or Bayonetta 2, some of those will be extremely interesting and very, very good in their field.

For someone like me, who has a PC, the only thing keeping me slightly interested in Sony's platform is the eventual JRPGs. But let those get announced to be ported to PC or to Wii U and I have no reason to play PS4.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
overwhelmingly sony won? care to link that?
from what I have seen they overwhelmingly were said to come in third place by most people. They didn't really show anything new.

IMO nintendo clearly had the best showing.

That statement doesn't make sense Nintendo hadn't even shown their conference so there's no way Sony could have won on Monday. At most they could have beat Microsoft but that's about it. It's a ridiculous statement. it's saying the first person to jump in a long jump wins in the first 5 minutes. a completely useless metric you have to at least wait until everyone competes.

Nintendo showed some good games. I actually want a Wii u when Zelda comes out. Though it was mega depressing how almost every damn game they announced was a spinoff from the Mario universe. This shit is getting so old. They've been ignoring their amazing catalogue of series for about 20 years now in favor of this shit and I can't fucking take it. I almost just want to pass on Zelda on principal. I don't need a 3rd console anyway.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I already described their vision of gaming: more inclusive to children, women, and families. I'm not seeing that emphasized on PS4 or Xbox One. That's not to say that there isn't some diversity, but it's certainly not what they're predominantly focused on. And I think that will be to their detriment eventually, because I don't think the (possibly shrinking) hardcore gamer demographic is enough to sustain ever-increasingly development costs.

You call it blinders; I call it reading the pulse of both corporations. Sony specifically, like a poster above said, was evoking early 360-era Microsoft in their attempt to appeal to western males. MS was a little more diverse, and I give credit to them for that, but I'll be honest: it still felt like lip-service. I don't think their hearts are in nurturing the kind of broader audience that Nintendo is; they're still stuck on power fantasies and badass kills. I feel like I'm over that.

And, I know what I just said must sound totally dismissive to anyone who still likes that stuff and I'm obviously generalizing to the EXTREME, but I don't think less of anybody for being into it. It's just that I'm personally pretty over EA/Ubisoft/MS/Sony's emphasis on a particular vision of gaming right now. And I think eventually others are going to feel the same way (some already are).

You're free to enjoy whatever suits you. But it's certainly not to Sony and Microsoft's detriment to focus a bit more on the demographic that buys the most games, and returns to purchase hardware every new generation.
Nintendo chased after the women and families last gen, but look where it left them this gen? Struggling because an audience they welcomed was never invested in the hobby.
Nintendo isn't clawing back because they're focused on families. They're clawing back because they're focused on gamers.

Nintendo showed some good games. I actually want a Wii u when Zelda comes out. Though it was mega depressing how almost every damn game they announced was a spinoff from the Mario universe. This shit is getting so old. They've been ignoring their amazing catalogue of series for about 20 years now in favor of this shit and I can't fucking take it. I almost just want to pass on Zelda on principal. I don't need a 3rd console anyway.

Aside from Treasure Tracker, which announcements are spinoffs of the Mario Universe?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

cmZPNhD.jpg

Applebite

From an entertainment perspective, yeah, I thought they did best. I still don't think Nintendo Direct builds as much hype as a conventional E3 conference does, but their other activities (Smash tournaments, Nintendo Treehouse etc.) might've made up for it. We'll see through sales for the next year or so.

Nintendo proved at this E3 every gamer needs the Wii U as their second console with either X1 or PS4 as your first depending on preface.

To PS4 and XB1, absolutely. They mop the floor with WiiU in games.

Zelda, Starfox, Xenoblade, Yoshi, Mario. That's not an insult but that's what I meant.

No, they don't. Unless you've played all the games shown at E3 (which you haven't), I'm confused on why you keep saying (10+ times by now) that the PS4 and XBone games are better in quality than what Nintendo has shown at E3.

Drensch

I know, like when they announced zelda U, I totally did not see that coming. complete surprise. no one expected them to announce that!
So clever. Did you also not expect Microsoft to announce halo? Sony Uncharted? Ubi Assassin's Creed? Ea Madden, NHL, Battlefield et al? Take two GTA extra revenue edition? Nope only Nintendo.

rokkerkory

You need to remember it's entirely subjective. One person might claim Sony won E3 while another might claim Microsoft won E3 while another might claim Nintendo won E3. There is no right or wrong answer. Just like the games that appeal to you probably won't appeal to the next guy that posts in this thread.

Are you really a junior making these sensible comments :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No, they don't. Unless you've played all the games shown at E3 (which you haven't), I'm confused on why you keep saying (10+ times by now) that the PS4 and XBone games are better in quality then what Nintendo has shown at E3.
They do. Unless you're openly discrediting the huge amount of games that are coming to PS4 and XB1? Most of which WiiU will never see.

Aside from Treasure Tracker, which announcements are spinoffs of the Mario Universe?

Mario Maker (I actually want it), Toads Treasure Tracker, Yoshis Wooly World, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario Party 10, and I'm sure I'm missing something. Mario Kart just came out. How many recent Mario games have been on Wii U or 3ds? It's just getting nauseating. They've been doing this since the N64/GameCube and I can't really take it anymore.

yoshi, mario party 10, mario vs. donkey kong wii u, and mario maker, although we knew of yoshi about 18 months ago so i don't know if that counts.

Those games don't appeal to me though so they don't count. I guess that mentality works this way too, huh? :]

Top Bottom