• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Yes it has.

For handheld.

Do you see the path that might be happening here.

No, people are more attached to their phones. Why spend more money to carry around something that causes more clutter?

Shield Tablets aren't a hit when they were claimed to be gaming systems on the go. Honestly I think the era of handhelds are coming to a close.

Beside all this, we need to see how it looks like first.

I always think controller should be seperated.

With wii nunchuck seperated from the buttons, it just feel way better to play.
Only didn't like the wiimote grip, but the can change that.

Think about it:

- if they can use the controller parts separately and using some cardboard system for the display.
They could make a VR system where the controllers are moving like HTC VR

Maybe even use it as some kind of smartphone when everything is detached?

Just cracked the NX code :p?

I don't see how Nintendo can make a portable with resolution high enough for VR without crippling it with very poor battery life.

Danneee

It is the least powerful console and there is no real uniqueness. What's the selling point? Remember that WiiU didn't fail because the Off TV Play range was too limited.

Being able to play multiplayer games with separate controllers anywhere without having to buy two portable consoles? That's kind of big imo.
And enough to pick my interest, at least until they announce a price. And of course show the actual console.

Fredrik

If this is all true..... All it means is this is nintendos new handheld and you simply can play it on your tv.... Revolutionary! (Sarcasm) There has to be more to this.
That's my take on this too. For a Nintendo device this has to be the most boring one yet. Feels like I'm reading about Sony's next handheld.

You're looking at it the wrong way. This isn't a successor to the Wii U. It's a combination of the Wii U and 3DS.

Imagine if the 3DS was more powerful and you could play it on the big screen, and it was the only Nintendo device. Meaning no more redundant console/handheld games (e.g. NSMB2/NSMBU, Mario kart 7/Mario Kart 8) and thus a more diverse output from Nintendo.

I'm totally down for this as long as it means a start of the more unified account and compatibility system going forward.

From NX onward, I want every Nintendo console and handheld (for the nest 2-3 generations at least) to have cross platform support for , at the very least, VC and smaller, less intensive downloadable games, if not full retail games as well.

Yes it has.

For handheld.

Do you see the path that might be happening here.

from ZhugeEX's wonderful stats.

i see the path.

ChVAiFIW0AEA-SB.jpg

Seik

Banned
No, people are more attached to their phones. Why spend more money to carry around something that causes more clutter?

Shield Tablets aren't a hit when they were claimed to be gaming systems on the go. Honestly I think the era of handhelds are coming to a close.

The shield is a big, bulky piece of sin.

If Nintendo plays the ergonomic card right they could have a hitter.

I mean, unless they name it the Wii (something) again, it's hard to see how it would end up being confusing.

MMaRsu

Banned

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

janoDX

Sounds interesting.

What i would like.

- 7 to 8 inch screen, with at least 1080p resolution.
- At least 7 hours battery life with gaming on the actual device, wifi turned on, and brightness at 70%
- Fast charging battery technology
- Wireless lag-free connection to your tv
- Support for memory cards up to at least 128gb

Five hundred ninety nine U S dollars

Muzicfreq

Banned
I fail to seek how an optional dock accessory is confusing. As long as the dock isn't marketed as being included it shouldn't be confusing. And honestly not everyone will even want to plug it into a tv so why needlessly drive up the cost of the system.

You must overestimate the retail market. people will ask, employees that don't know much will misguide and more confusion begins.

Kurt

Yet there is no gimmick so far.
Attaching a console to a tv has nothing to do with "gimmicks".

Else every part in the universe is gimmick

I fail to seek how an optional dock accessory is confusing. As long as the dock isn't marketed as being included it shouldn't be confusing. And honestly not everyone will even want to plug it into a tv so why needlessly drive up the cost of the system.

The main draw of the NX will be that it's both a handheld and a console. That's what will make a lot of people interested in it. Making the thing that makes it an appealing product an optional purchase is not smart.

What does that have to do with anything? No console maker is selling hardware at a loss now.

Miracle is the key word, I can't see any one but die hard Nintendo fans being excited about this thing. This reminds of the talk before the Wii U launched, but I don't think it will be THAT much of disaster because it is a handheld.

as an handheld it might be incredible..
but a PORTABLE device with enough power to play stuff like zelda botw?
either the graphics get downed a LOT for the nx, or i guess we're looking at a not-so-portable device with a battery life close to 2-3 hours of actual play...

let's hope i'm wildly wrong..

joecanada

im not sure how this would even be considered a home console if true. its not as though this is some magical ability to plug into a tv. basically every home entertainment device can plug into a tv if you want it to.

even phones have hdmi out now.

seems more of a handheld with a docking station. but not really a console.

TH-Work

Banned
I really hope and prey that they stop useing dual screens like the Nintendo DS or 3DS! They should use one big 720p display from now on :)

Brashnir

I'm personally doubting the dock will have extra power, especially if Nintendo wants to keep costs down. As per usual with them, they'll cut corners on the hardware somewhere and I think they'll be perfectly with that level of power.

The dock almost certainly won't have any substantial extra processing power in it. It just doesn't make sense to have a second set of chips in there (other than utility chips for things like a controller bus or video out, obviously)

However, this doesn't preclude the system from being more powerful when docked.

You could run the system at a very low (less than 10W, realistically closer to 5) wattage in handheld mode with passive cooling. When docked, you get access to an active cooling system and A/C adapter that allows the system to run much faster and hotter with a greater power draw.

VanWinkle

What exactly is the problem with it?

Not ergonomic at all. It's just a slab with non-ideal spacing between buttons and VERY compromised analog and shoulder buttons solution. And it had to be that way to be portable. UI on a portable typically doesn't scale well or take advantage of a big TV, either. It also introduces problems with storage space. We're probably not going to be seeing a large storage solution like we need for a modern console with big (possibly 32GB) games.

Well there are first party games on WiiU too. Didn't set the world on fire.
There were huge droughts of first-party games on both the Wii U and 3DS, and it clearly hurt both systems greatly. The 3DS recovered to an extent, but the Wii U did not. I'd argue that the lack of first-party games hurt more than the lack of third-party support.

In theory, the consolidated development and shared library should make those droughts a thing of the past, thereby making the NX a much more appealing system, especially during the launch and post-launch periods. Nintendo has to back all of that up, though.

Muzicfreq

Banned
The shield is a big, bulky piece of sin.

If Nintendo plays the ergonomic card right they could have a hitter.

I mean, unless they name it the Wii (something) again, it's hard to see how it would end up being confusing.

a tablet... something with 2 controllers attached to the side supporting hardware equivalent to between Xbone and WiiU....shit is gonna be a big thing unless you plan on sacrificing thermals

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
from ZhugeEX's wonderful stats.

i see the path.

ChVAiFIW0AEA-SB.jpg

The trouble with this is it includes the DS, something which only one console has ever outsold. Every console this gen will look like a failure compared to it.

Kikorin

I can't believe someone still think that with a powerful console third party would support Nintendo. Better supported Nintendo consoles by third party have been Wii and DS, two underpowered console.

If it sells well, third party will support, if not, they don't.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
your numbers are nuts.

first of all, in this smartphone dominated world we live in, there isn't a chance in hell all 60 million 3ds owners are going to buy the next piece of dedicated handheld hardware from nintendo. second, while I can't say for a fact, I'm sure many of those 12 million wii u owners also purchased a 3ds. they are the hardest of hardcore nintendo fans. they no longer need to double dip on nintendo hardware.

i can see this thing doing around 30 million units sold, more or less. most of that being off the strength of pokemon and monster hunter/yokai watch in Japan.

???

My numbers are facts about actual machine sales as they stand right now.

I didn't say "projected NX sales" lol

If Nintendo is unifying their portable and console markets, it's pretty obvious to look at what market they currently command between the two categories.

The fact that they have ~72 million between the two implies a potential for success if they are to be unified into one category. And that potential of success is competitive with other home consoles.

Anth0ny

I actually like this a lot more if I think of it as the 3DS successor... that also plugs into a TV.

It's one hell of a leap forward in tech, and will have a ton of games. The same Japanese third parties that jumped on board 3DS will likely be ready to support NX here.

When you think of it as a Wii U successor... the picture is a lot more grim lol. underpowered and really doesn't seem to go after what the world is looking for in a new, video game console in 2017.

but as a 3DS successor? it's fucking sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Noi_

Banned
I heard the Vita OLED had horrible burn in. Which I would not want for a home console I plan on using more than a standard handheld.

It had some issues. I don't use my vita much anymore but I remember when I got it there were dark "splotches" all over the screen

hemo memo

If this ends up being real it would be cool to play certain games typically only for handhelds on the big screen and Nintendo will have much more manpower for the one device. Now to wait until Nintendo's reveal.

The problem is I see with the Vita is that the focus was to create console games for a handheld and that failed miserably for some titles. With this Nintendo might do the same becuase it's hybrid and to design games to fit both and lose their fantastic handheld focus games.

Not ergonomic at all. It's just a slab with non-ideal spacing between buttons and VERY compromised analog and shoulder buttons solution. And it had to be that way to be portable. UI on a portable typically doesn't scale well or take advantage of a big TV, either. It also introduces problems with storage space. We're probably not going to be seeing a large storage solution like we need for a modern console with big (possibly 32GB) games.

Storage is a concern that I've had myself. SD cards tend to be pretty cheap nowadays though, no? I'm thinking this thing should have decent storage, but we'll see.

For ergonomics it depends. The original 3DS is too small, but I find that the XL models are suuuuper comfortable. I'm not sure which is the one you had trouble with, but I guess it's true that experiences vary.

For UI, I'm thinking that the dock will have some type of toggle that'll allow the games to switch between "handheld mode" and "Console mode", and thus necessary changes would be made depending on whether the device is docked or not.

I dunno. I'm just trying to be optimistic. Anyway, the main point is, it's not like it'll literally be a 3DS. I'm assuming on good faith that changes can be made to make it more user-friendly, and optimize the controller as something that will be comfortable for both handheld and home play.

I actually like this a lot more if I think of it as the 3DS successor... that also plugs into a TV.

It's one hell of a leap forward in tech, and will have a ton of games. The same Japanese third parties that jumped on board 3DS will likely be ready to support NX here.

When you think of it as a Wii U successor... the picture is a lot more grim lol. underpowered and really doesn't seem to go after what the world is looking for in a new, video game console in 2017.

but as a 3DS successor? it's fucking sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Right. This isn't really a Wii U successor. It's more like, this is the Nintendo machine, and that's the angle that it looks best with.

zoukka

I'm concerned about the power of NX. Just a small upgrade from Wii U seems super disappointing.

I heard the Vita OLED had horrible burn in. Which I would not want for a home console I plan on using more than a standard handheld.

At home, you'll be using your TV with NX.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The hybrid idea is novel but the rest isn't. I have feeling it will be better than the WiiU in terms of SW but still lacking what the other 2 have. I'm intrigued.

I can't believe someone still think that with a powerful console third party would support Nintendo. Better supported Nintendo consoles by third party have been Wii and DS, two underpowered console.

If it sells well, third party will support, if not, they don't.

So you are saying that a powerful Nintendo console can't sell? The haven't tried in like 15 years so how would we know?

Peterc

The dock almost certainly won't have any substantial extra processing power in it. It just doesn't make sense to have a second set of chips in there (other than utility chips for things like a controller bus or video out, obviously)

However, this doesn't preclude the system from being more powerful when docked.

You could run the system at a very low (less than 10W, realistically closer to 5) wattage in handheld mode with passive cooling. When docked, you get access to an active cooling system and A/C adapter that allows the system to run much faster and hotter with a greater power draw.

They talking about a dock/base station.

First, i think it's strange they can't say what the thing really is, why wouldn't all their sources doesn't tell it?

Otherwise it's just a holder for the handheld, but why saying it while that just doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom