• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD1

Banned
When you put it like that, yeah from Nintendo's perspective it makes some degree of business sense because the wii u failed so hard. But they should be thinking, why can't we sell at least 30 million plus home consoles AND 60 million plus handhelds. They havent forgotten that the wii before that sold like hotcakes in the home console space.

To just basically pull the plug on making a home console is turning their back on addiyional hardware, software, and licensing revenue. The success of the ps4 actually means this makes very little business sense imo.

They probably have been thinking a lot about it, and this is the conclusion they've come too. Sometimes, market conditions and outside factors change and create situations that out of a company's control. Nintendo can control the products they make, and in a market that is fractured across a variety of platforms and delivery methods, they decided this is the horse to race.

I don't believe Eurogamer made this up but it does seem kind of strange that no other site has published an article on their own, backing it up with their own sources. I find it hard to believe that only Eurogamer heard and verified these rumours. Good for them. Big exclusive.

IGN and Kotaku have posted articles and both have claimed to have heard similar rumblings from their own, independent sources.

The dock is 100% going to be bundled with the system. If the whole shtick is "hey, this is both a handheld AND a console!", then why leave that out of the product people flock to?

I don't understand how people see this and say "hybrid." It's a portable with a video out. Literally that basic and not at all groundbreaking. All this means if true is that Nintendo is abandoning their console business. Jack of all trades and master of none.

VanWinkle

It just feels odd to me. Nintendo failed with an underpowered console with a big bulky controller with a screen with bad battery life, so they come back by making another console that's just the same. Except it doesn't have backwards compatibility.

I also have to wonder about this portable controller thing. How's it going to be? It's either going to be comfortable for console gaming and very bad for portability, or thin and sleek for portability and terrible for console gaming.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Nope. If this thing ends up being weaker than Xbox One is it DOA to the casual Western market. I can already tell AAA 3rd party support is going to be abysmal.
I don't think it really matters. Anybody who cares about 3rd party games already owns a PS4 or X1 and is locked into those ecosystems. Who the heck would buy an NX in order to play on-par-with-X1 3rd party titles?

Wii U had a decent selection of 3rd party games at launch, and they all sold like shit. Nintendo funded some 3rd party exclusives (W101, Bayonetta 2) and those also sold like shit.

IMO it makes a hell of a lot more sense to unify handheld (where they can actually dominate and where third party devs still support them) with console, rather than trying to chase after third-party multiplats, which will inevitably still sell like shit and further reinforce the notion that Nintendo owners don't buy third party games.

The next thing I wonder is what the software release schedule will be like. Will we get 1-2 major releases per month now that they've consolidated development?

I don't understand how people see this and say "hybrid." It's a portable with a video out. Literally that basic and not at all groundbreaking. All this means if true is that Nintendo is abandoning their console business.

That all depends on what the dock does, and how the detachable controllers work in a home console setting.

Neoxon

It's not even comparable to other mobile games; it's become ingrained like a social media platform. It's not going to keep it up forever, but it will still be going strong in March.
Is it really, the use of the app is already starting to go down. I do think it'll level out at a respectable userbase, sure, but it won't be nearly as big as its peek. And by the time the NX comes out, I fear that having it be able to play Pokémon GO may not be a big selling point.

miksar

Nintendo's next portable is marginally more powerful than their current home console, and yet people call it "underpowered".

Nintendo's hardware was never truly powerful for its time, it is just that not too long ago major console manufacturers didn't care about power that much, and those who did ended up with overpriced and failed consoles, as there was no tangible market for powerful consoles before Xbox 360 and PS3 came out.

I honestly don't know why anyone would think that Nintendo competing directly against Microsoft and Sony is a good idea. Their development environment will be worse, their OS will be worse, the thing they do have is great games, and that's what will ultimately make it successful or unsuccessful.

Speely

Banned
Well, the option to use the two pieces freehand style seems to be there. For traditional style play, don't put it past Nintendo to sell some type of plastic extender to space out the two pieces when the screen is docked.

Or let you use a smartphone for spacing/added functionality via their handy NintenGO app?

Anth0ny

Disagree all you want: Nintendo unifying their player base around one machine will give them weight in the market.

your numbers are nuts.

first of all, in this smartphone dominated world we live in, there isn't a chance in hell all 60 million 3ds owners are going to buy the next piece of dedicated handheld hardware from nintendo. second, while I can't say for a fact, I'm sure many of those 12 million wii u owners also purchased a 3ds. they are the hardest of hardcore nintendo fans. they no longer need to double dip on nintendo hardware.

i can see this thing doing around 30 million units sold, more or less. most of that being off the strength of pokemon and monster hunter/yokai watch in Japan.

I don't understand how people see this and say "hybrid." It's a portable with a video out. Literally that basic and not at all groundbreaking. All this means if true is that Nintendo is abandoning their console business. Jack of all trades and master of none.
Depends on what the hub is imo

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I know there were what seemed to be AR patents by Nintendo and looking back at this picture here:

nintendo-projector-camera-patent.jpg.optimal.jpg

I wonder if we're looking at the dock. I mean, not designed like that but with the AR built into it like that.

Why are people asking why they're using carts? Am I missing something and handheld gaming hasn't been a thing for the past two decades? Or am I in a different reality?

Or the tv functionality requires the dock which could be an optional accessory. As making it optional also would cut down the cost of buying the core handheld system.

No way the dock will be optional. It's going to be a huge selling point--but only if it's included. The Wii U already includes one anyway; adding an HDMI out can't be that much more

It just feels odd to me. Nintendo failed with an underpowered console with a big bulky controller with a screen with bad battery life, so they come back by making another console that's just the same. Except it doesn't have backwards compatibility.

I also have to wonder about this portable controller thing. How's it going to be? It's either going to be comfortable for console gaming and very bad for portability, or thin and sleek for portability and terrible for console gaming.

You're looking at it the wrong way. This isn't purely a successor to the Wii U. It's what would happen if the 3DS and Wii U were the same device.

Imagine if the 3DS was more powerful and you could play it on the big screen in addition to in your hands. Meaning no more redundant console/handheld games (e.g. NSMB2/NSMBU, Mario kart 7/Mario Kart 8) and thus a more diverse output from Nintendo. It's going to be the Nintendo device.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

You can´t simply compare your Android Tegra experiences with Tegra in a handheld. And it could be X2 so, we don´t know how it could perform.

well yes it will have the advantage that's gonna be inside one thick tablet(if we go by nintendo standards) with room for proper cooling but until i see it for myself ill just keep my expectations in check since is a nvidia tegra (how hot it gets, how much it will throttle and how fast it will drain the battery)

docked though i have no doubt it will be a beast

If this is all true..... All it means is this is nintendos new handheld and you simply can play it on your tv.... Revolutionary! (Sarcasm) There has to be more to this.

Jubenhimer

You can't say it's not convincing simply because you don't like it. I find the information very credible not only because it's from Eurogamer but also because it's in line with the rumors flying around and the patents. Also as a company, Nintendo is known for creating weird things like this.
Patents are not always a guarantee of a new product. Companies patent stuff that never materialize all the time. I don't find this convincing because that's not what Nintendo had already laid out. NX probably already began development when Iwata first laid out their iOS-like strategy, and was already nearing completion by the time Kimishima took over. I find it hard to believe they would just change direction that quickly.

Nintendo might be known for weird things, but they rarely make products that are impractical or too difficult to use. They're all about simplicity and elegance. This just sounds un-elegant. The fact that Eurogamer got 1 or 2 rumors right I the past does not mean this one is correct. Eurogamer may have a proven track record, but they are not god.

I don't understand how people see this and say "hybrid." It's a portable with a video out. Literally that basic and not at all groundbreaking. All this means if true is that Nintendo is abandoning their console business.

I guess we'd have to look at what a home console is. For me, it's a device I can play on my TV, in the living room, that provides a certain level of fidelity. It certainly doesn't need to be bleeding-edge (though it can be). Just have games made for it that have the living room, large TV, and surround sound in mind.

GaussTek

Guys, just wondering something, and sorry if it has been answered before: would the Nvidia X1 be capable of running an UE4 game like Dragon Quest XI, at let's say, 720p 30fps (or something like it)?

Roufianos

This sounds great to me. I already have PS4 and X1 so I'd rather have a powerful handheld than a weak console.

Also, this means Game Freak will finally have to make a console quality game.

So?

They are here for the profit and GC had better profits than PS2, the biggest console ever.

What does that have to do with anything? No console maker is selling hardware at a loss now.

If, by some miracle, NX is wildly successful, this is how fanboys will spin its success into... something else.

"Well, it didn't technically outsell PS4 this month. It's not a real home console!"

lol

Miracle is the key word, I can't see any one but die hard Nintendo fans being excited about this thing. This reminds of the talk before the Wii U launched, but I don't think it will be THAT much of disaster because it is a handheld. I feel very confident in saying this will sell less than the 3DS did.

VanWinkle

You're looking at it the wrong way. This isn't purely a successor to the Wii U.

Imagine if the 3DS was more powerful and you could play it on the big screen in addition to in your hands, and it was the only Nintendo device. Meaning no more redundant console/handheld games (e.g. NSMB2/NSMBU, Mario kart 7/Mario Kart 8) and thus a more diverse output from Nintendo. It's going to be the Nintendo device.

I would hate it, because a 3DS (even with way better graphics) is not a good console. Particularly control-wise.

The conclusion most people seem to be coming to is "Well Nintendo could have fixed this if they just tried harder."

Which I'm not sure is necessarily the right conclusion to draw.

Peterc

Source said that they are separate controllers. Doesn't mean that you can't put them together though.

UoTzbhM.png

Beside all this, we need to see how it looks like first.

I always think controller should be seperated.

With wii nunchuck seperated from the buttons, it just feel way better to play.
Only didn't like the wiimote grip, but they can change that.

Think about it:

- if they can use the controller parts separately and using some cardboard system for the display.
They could make a VR system where the controllers are moving like HTC VR

Maybe even use it as some kind of smartphone when everything is detached?

Just cracked the NX code :p (maybe not first)?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I remember talking to one of my co-workers quite a few years ago, and we were talking about Nintendo, and how it'd be beneficial if their next console was a mix between portable and home. You could plug it up to your TV and play on the big screen, then, detach it from the set and take it with you when you left. This was before the Wii U was announced.

I always thought it'd be a good idea, if the technology supported it. At the time, I felt that Nintendo's strengths really seemed to be in the handheld space, and if they could somehow leverage that to benefit their home console business as well. Nintendo abandoned tech that pushed graphics a long time ago, so I imagined that a console/handheld hybrid wouldn't be as powerful as the current other consoles released at the time when it came to graphics, but it would benefit them in the long run by being able to satisfy both home and handheld Nintendo fans.

I own a 3DS as a complementary handheld to my Vita, but I don't own a Wii, or Wii U. I was on the fence about owning the NX or whatever it's called, but this could be a great solution for me.

Unless I misunderstood it, there doesn't seem to be dual-screen gameplay anymore?

That could explain why there was an on-screen HUD in Breath of the Wild instead of it being on the gamepad. They didn't want to integrate any mechanic in Zelda that couldn't be easily transferred back into a single-screen setup.

ZOONAMI

More confusion for the average consumer. Great.

I fail to seek how an optional dock accessory is confusing. As long as the dock isn't marketed as being included it shouldn't be confusing. And honestly not everyone will even want to plug it into a tv so why needlessly drive up the cost of the system.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yes it has.

For handheld.

Do you see the path that might be happening here.

Bad WiiU performance means no one cares about Nintendo games - its been known...well or typical GAF hyperbole where something is either the best thing ever or...dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom